Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

That's not heroin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Dead Goon posted:

That's not heroin.

I've always found this GIF so fascinating. I guess that like, in my heart of hearts, I still can't really believe that an MP, let alone a minister, let alone a front bencher, let alone the loving CHANCELLOR, would go into a session completely off their tits. But I literally can't imagine that anyone sober or not incredibly poorly could ever look like that.

I guess we shall never know.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
You know you're truly internet-poisoned when the only thing you take away from a discussion about a man with an artillery shell up his arse is "Huh, I didn't know they had sabot rounds back then".

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I dunno who this is but worm squirm is always fun eh?

https://twitter.com/liamthorpecho/status/1466667178338381824?s=21

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

St Thomas’ Hospital in Westminster are doing boosters for anyone who had last dose more than 3 months ago, if any of you are round that way.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Perfect Element posted:

I've always found this GIF so fascinating. I guess that like, in my heart of hearts, I still can't really believe that an MP, let alone a minister, let alone a front bencher, let alone the loving CHANCELLOR, would go into a session completely off their tits. But I literally can't imagine that anyone sober or not incredibly poorly could ever look like that.

I dunno, used to be incredibly common for them to come in pished out of their gourds. Less so since they let TV cameras in though.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
those box things they speak at are from when they used to open them up for to be sick into them :barf: like that before steeling themselves again with a good pint of brandy

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno, used to be incredibly common for them to come in pished out of their gourds. Less so since they let TV cameras in though.

This a pretty incredible clip of Gove so pissed and/or high he has to sheepishly prop himself up behind the speaker's chair, but alas I can't find it.

e: best I could find. I'm sure I've seen a longer clip where he's goading the opposition benches like he's picking a fight on the night bus

https://twitter.com/chrisbrighton10/status/1308305627383463936

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Perfect Element posted:

Happens all the time over on this side of the lake. LBJ and Ford both ran the country half-wasted most of the time, and JFK was on so many meds for his war injuries that it's kind of amazing that he was shot before he could OD.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

therattle posted:

I totally agree with that (and with the assessment of prison officers. I have always wondered who the hell becomes one, unless people are just desperate for work) . But I wasn't the one asking for non-Western sources. That's why I mentioned first-0hand accounts in the NYer piece and the report referred to in the ALJ article which was based on scraping publicly-available Chinese sources.

I guess so. it appears that they have since acknowledged that there was a coup in Bolivia. Even if you think they are biased that doesn't automatically disqualify their reporting. It just means it should be taken with a pinch of salt. But if they are so untrustworthy and biased I suppose you therefore also discount their characterisation of Israel's policies towards Palestinians as apartheid?

I think the reason people get so defensive on this subject is that if feels like 95% of the time everyone has clearly made up their own mind already and is just trying to spin whatever new 'evidence' comes out to suit their own ends. One side thinks criticising sources that have almost all been produced by rabidly anti-communist US think tanks and insane weirdos like Zenz makes you a genocide apologist, the other thinks saying 'oh hey china might be doing a bad thing' makes you a CIA-funded psyop. It's a pointless argument honestly because it's just people yelling at each other and, weirdly enough, is very very rarely actually about the welfare of Uyghurs. It's pure ideological grandstanding.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the sequence of events:

1. China is an authoritarian country doing authoritarian country things
2. Chinese policy is disproportionately affecting Uyghur Muslims, because they as a group have become associated with separatist politics
3. There is a broad cultural trend of Han chauvinism which means most people don't much care about 2
4. Some people speak out about 1, China responds by doing more of 1, because 1.
5. The USA, which could not give a drat about 2 but very much wants to cultivate hostility towards China senses an opportunity to manipulate popular opinion.
6. US think-tanks produce research that uses selective evidence to massively exaggerate the extent of the issue.
7. This encourages the anti-china crowd to go balls to the wall, social media is filled with disturbing footage and photographs allegedly from Xinjiang. Some of this is real, some of it trivial to discredit.
8. 4 find 6 very receptive to their genuine stories about 1, are happy someone is listening.
9. 6 discovers that many of 4 don't much like China either, and are more than happy to co-operate, while others are so desperate to be heard that they are easy to manipulate into saying whatever the interviewer leads them to.
10. 6 is now comfortable claiming that China is now literally doing a Holocaust, using a variety of 'evidence' from 4 and 7 to back up this conclusion. Some of their sources are legit, many are not, or are highly exaggerated - often because 6 deliberately manufactured the most highly inflammatory testimonies they could.
11. The Western media and institutions eat up 10 because 6 are highly influential, and it becomes an accepted truth within some international organisations. Going against it is perceived as outright genocide denial, dissuading much mainstream criticism and reinforcing the story.
12. Some people realise that certain pieces of evidence and testimony are completely full of holes.
13. Most people steer well clear because 6 is now a self-evident truth and they don't want to be ostracised.
14. Tankies, being no strangers to ostracism, take this to mean that the whole thing is a fabrication and insist China is a utopia among other insane tankie things.
15. This actually benefits the the narrative of 10, because the only people rejecting the conclusion are utter weirdoes.
16. China also uses 12 to cover itself, claiming that 10 is bullshit (probably correct), and that following on from that 1, 2, and 3 are also bullshit (probably very much incorrect).
17. 16 being a dumb claim, Western institutions take it as further proof of 10.
18. We are stuck in a stupid rut where there are basically no good faith actors whatsover.

Hey, maybe years down the line I'll have my own Noam Chomsky moment, but right now I see no reason to just swallow what the PR wing of a country known for pulling this poo poo time and time again when they want to manufacture consent to intervene in foreign affairs tells me wholesale.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kenny labour crying that no one likes him is literally the funniest poo poo. I mean these sycophant advisors keep telling Kenny that he's electable and labour needs a non Nazi face of the party to bring them to Valhalla. And then all he does is act like a little loving bitch 24/7 while pulling a -30 approval rate

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Having worked in a posh addictions' hospital, Tories are well into their drugs. It's just they all can afford the £5000 a week addiction therapy that absolutely nobody else will get.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can just be an anarchist and put your sunglasses on while saying all states are bad and they can all gently caress off.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

I think the reason people get so defensive on this subject is that if feels like 95% of the time everyone has clearly made up their own mind already and is just trying to spin whatever new 'evidence' comes out to suit their own ends. One side thinks criticising sources that have almost all been produced by rabidly anti-communist US think tanks and insane weirdos like Zenz makes you a genocide apologist, the other thinks saying 'oh hey china might be doing a bad thing' makes you a CIA-funded psyop. It's a pointless argument honestly because it's just people yelling at each other and, weirdly enough, is very very rarely actually about the welfare of Uyghurs. It's pure ideological grandstanding.

2. Chinese policy is disproportionately affecting Uyghur Muslims, because they as a group have become associated with separatist politics
3. There is a broad cultural trend of Han chauvinism which means most people don't much care about 2
5. The USA, which could not give a drat about 2 but very much wants to cultivate hostility towards China senses an opportunity to manipulate popular opinion.
6. US think-tanks produce research that uses selective evidence to massively exaggerate the extent of the issue.
7. This encourages the anti-china crowd to go balls to the wall, social media is filled with disturbing footage and photographs allegedly from Xinjiang. Some of this is real, some of it trivial to discredit.
8. 4 find 6 very receptive to their genuine stories about 1, are happy someone is listening.
9. 6 discovers that many of 4 don't much like China either, and are more than happy to co-operate, while others are so desperate to be heard that they are easy to manipulate into saying whatever the interviewer leads them to.
10. 6 is now comfortable claiming that China is now literally doing a Holocaust, using a variety of 'evidence' from 4 and 7 to back up this conclusion. Some of their sources are legit, many are not, or are highly exaggerated - often because 6 deliberately manufactured the most highly inflammatory testimonies they could.
11. The Western media and institutions eat up 10 because 6 are highly influential, and it becomes an accepted truth within some international organisations. Going against it is perceived as outright genocide denial, dissuading much mainstream criticism and reinforcing the story.
12. Some people realise that certain pieces of evidence and testimony are completely full of holes.
13. Most people steer well clear because 6 is now a self-evident truth and they don't want to be ostracised.
14. Tankies, being no strangers to ostracism, take this to mean that the whole thing is a fabrication and insist China is a utopia among other insane tankie things.
15. This actually benefits the the narrative of 10, because the only people rejecting the conclusion are utter weirdoes.
16. China also uses 12 to cover itself, claiming that 10 is bullshit (probably correct), and that following on from that 1, 2, and 3 are also bullshit (probably very much incorrect).
18. We are stuck in a stupid rut where there are basically no good faith actors whatsover.

Hey, maybe years down the line I'll have my own Noam Chomsky moment, but right now I see no reason to just swallow what the PR wing of a country known for pulling this poo poo time and time again when they want to manufacture consent to intervene in foreign affairs tells me wholesale.

I have to say, I really like the clarity of the way you have laid this out.

I'm not up on the uyghur situation at all (other than it is 'a bad thing that is happening') and hadn't heard of Zenz until this very thread.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Having worked in a posh addictions' hospital, Tories are well into their drugs. It's just they all can afford the £5000 a week addiction therapy that absolutely nobody else will get.

Posh addiction hospital you say? Check out

https://cliniclesalpes.com/

quote:

The individual programme designed for each patient, together with hospitality services, has a cost of CHF 45’000 per week. For any more details, please refer to our Admissions department.

Private apartment and suites – price available upon request.

Price does not include medical treatment which does not relate to the patient’s reason of hospitalisation.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

You can just be an anarchist and put your sunglasses on while saying all states are bad and they can all gently caress off.

True but I also like the NHS and trains

this is a joke I know there are theoretical ways collective things could function under an anarchist system but they won't work

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Posh addiction hospital you say? Check out

https://cliniclesalpes.com/

Well I thought it was posh, but I was getting paid barely above minimum wage for something that would have been paid at least £21K PA in the NHS. Just thinking back to a guy telling me that he was actually saving money because his coke habit was more than the bed, and realizing how the other half live.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it were a choice between the NHS and states then I would probably suggest that the NHS does not seem to protect or offset very well the problems that states cause. If I have to live in a state I would rather live in one with a healthcare service, but I can't say that on the whole I find that situation very pleasant.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gonzo McFee posted:

Just thinking back to a guy telling me that he was actually saving money because his coke habit was more than the bed, and realizing how the other half live.

Was he difficult to strangle?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

If it were a choice between the NHS and states then I would probably suggest that the NHS does not seem to protect or offset very well the problems that states cause. If I have to live in a state I would rather live in one with a healthcare service, but I can't say that on the whole I find that situation very pleasant.

This is rather more of a hot button issue when you have a lifelong health condition that means you die in a few days without constant access to expensive biosynthetic drugs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would probably also be a hot button issue for all the people the state kills, were they not already dead.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I mean the state didn't kill them by virtue of being a State, the state killed them because it was governed by people who wanted them dead (or didn't care)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean the state didn't kill them by virtue of being a State, the state killed them because it was governed by people who wanted them dead (or didn't care)

History may suggest that this is a sufficiently common state for the State to find itself in, that it might simply constitute the virtue of the State.

I don't really think that bad governance is separable from the shape of the society being governed. At what point does it become that the society just does that to itself, constantly? It seems hard to somehow externalize the consistent failures as not being a product of the thing that produces them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 3, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

This is just standard anarchist-ML beef lol, I guess we're not going to resolve the schism on this dead gay comedy forum

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Lady Gaza posted:

St Thomas’ Hospital in Westminster are doing boosters for anyone who had last dose more than 3 months ago, if any of you are round that way.

over 40s still isn't it? I'm working round the corner from there tomorrow but am only a sprightly 35.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

kecske posted:

over 40s still isn't it? I'm working round the corner from there tomorrow but am only a sprightly 35.

Pretty sure it's pretty much anyone who's eligible for a flu vaccine

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is, at present, over 40's or by invitation if you have a condition. I imagine they will drop the age limit again soon though if they are planning to hit the target in february.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ThomasPaine posted:

This is just standard anarchist-ML beef lol, I guess we're not going to resolve the schism on this dead gay comedy forum
I thought we did resolve it & the stalinists were wrong. Maybe I'm misremembering

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You know you're truly internet-poisoned when the only thing you take away from a discussion about a man with an artillery shell up his arse is "Huh, I didn't know they had sabot rounds back then".

Oh sub-bore ammunition goes back a long way to get more penetration (:quagmire:) out of your ageing gun. There's a reason it's in French and that's because a French dude invented it in the 30s.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Borrovan posted:

I thought we did resolve it & the stalinists were wrong. Maybe I'm misremembering

Yes because all MLs are outright unreformed Stalinists, obviously.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just think it's a bit silly that all over the world and all across time we have these big hierarchical organizations running countries and corporations and churches and it turns out the people at the top of them use their power to do utterly horrific poo poo literally all the time, and apparently there are still people going "hey now maybe it's just that we have the wrong people in charge, you can't just write off the system"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think Chomsky is right about the state, it's bad lol

A Chomsky Boi posted:

I met with a very lively anarchist movement in Buenos Aires, and with other anarchist groups as far away as northeastern Brazil, where nobody even knew they existed. We had a lot of discussions about these matters. They recognize that they have to try to use the state—even though they regard it as totally illegitimate. The reason is perfectly obvious: When you eliminate the one institutional structure in which people can participate to some extent—namely the government—you’re simply handing over power to unaccountable private tyrannies that are much worse. So you have to make use of the state, all the time recognizing that you ultimately want to eliminate it.

Some of the rural workers in Brazil have an interesting slogan. They say their immediate task is “expanding the floor of the cage.” They understand that they’re trapped inside a cage, but realize that protecting it when it’s under attack from even worse predators on the outside, and extending the limits of what the cage will allow, are both essential preliminaries to dismantling it. If they attack the cage directly when they’re so vulnerable, they’ll get murdered.

State bad, alternative worse at present, but state definitely tries to protect itself from having to do any of the things that might make it less bad unless forced. Same often goes for other structures like unions once they get large enough.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

It is, at present, over 40's or by invitation if you have a condition. I imagine they will drop the age limit again soon though if they are planning to hit the target in february.

Nope it's all adults now if you had your second shot more than 3 months ago but it's being done by your GP and they are working their way through their list so you might not have been invited yet. However if there's a walk in centre around you and you qualify (the walk ins do 6 months apparently) then you can get it done there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

Nope it's all adults now if you had your second shot more than 3 months ago but it's being done by your GP and they are working their way through their list so you might not have been invited yet. However if there's a walk in centre around you and you qualify (the walk ins do 6 months apparently) then you can get it done there.

Neither the NHS nor the gov.uk websites seem to agree with this.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-booster-vaccine/
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-booster-dose-resources/covid-19-vaccination-a-guide-to-booster-vaccination

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

I just think it's a bit silly that all over the world and all across time we have these big hierarchical organizations running countries and corporations and churches and it turns out the people at the top of them use their power to do utterly horrific poo poo literally all the time, and apparently there are still people going "hey now maybe it's just that we have the wrong people in charge, you can't just write off the system"
Yeah basically.

I mean any kind of utopian idealism is inherently just speculation & it's weird for anyone to be absolutely sure that their completely theoretical idea will work unlike every other attempt that's ever been implemented, but it's particularly weird when that ideal is just some variation on the theme of "authoritarianism again but better this time" when scores of other flavours of basically the same thing have been tried, with the same results each time.

At least anarchist organising has practical uses in the here & now.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

I think Chomsky is right about the state, it's bad lol

State bad, alternative worse at present, but state definitely tries to protect itself from having to do any of the things that might make it less bad unless forced. Same often goes for other structures like unions once they get large enough.

That's a cool quote and I'm gonna hang onto it

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah the trick imo is to build & maintain the structures to force them, whilst also building the structures to force the other structures that you built to use their force better when they get big enough, then rinse & repeat

Idk how feasible that is in the long term, we're only a couple of centuries in at this point but it's looking like "not very"?

(disclaimer: I'm drunk, apologies if I was being a dick TP it's been a long day)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

But then we just end up going around in the same circles. Yes, hierarchies are frequently abused, but I cannot imagine a situation in which human beings do not exist in some sort of hierarchical relationship with one another. They exist even down at the level of social groups! Some people end up cultivating more authority than others, subtle though it may be. You can remove formal hierarchies at the state level, but that doesn't get rid of power structures, it just makes them implicit and potentially even more insidious as a result, particularly in a world where some people have considerably more resources than others. Even if you then tear them down and redistribute the lot, how do you decide who decides how things are doled out because that person then by definition has a role of authority? What happens when you do anything that needs complex co-operation between lots of people like industrial production or infrastructure? How do you fund collective projects? Taxes and laws are all a form of state coercion, so can't be enforced. What happens when one person starts realising they have a bunch more stuff than another person and can pay that person to do labour for them then keep the product and sell it for profit? By jettisoning the state as a concept you're getting rid of the few good things it can do while in reality doing very little to prevent exploitation and abuse, if not outright making it easier, and in the end you just create the conditions for capitalism to develop once again.

I just don't think living in Rapture would be any great victory, and that's where anarchism will always ends up despite the best intentions as certain individuals accumulate more power than others. Obviously the dictatorship of the proletariat is the ideal state, but I'll take one that guarantees some rights and protections over being paid in BezosBucks and being thrown in the gutter to die the second I'm unable to work an 80 hour week in the bitcoin factories.

Borrovan posted:

(disclaimer: I'm drunk, apologies if I was being a dick TP it's been a long day)

No worries mate I plan to also be very soon!

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 3, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Thanks for sorting the wheat from the chaff. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

That’s a great analysis, although I think there is now a pretty large and incontrovertible body of evidence that China is doing a lot of awful stuff in Xinjiang. And I don’t think that the US is planning an invasion of China anytime soon.