Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Have you never seen the Simpsons or what

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It really annoys me when a few years ago Matt Lucas came out with "ohh yeah, in retrospect Little Britan was kind of cruel". Motherfucker, people were saying this 15 years ago!

"haha I'm a fat black woman!"
Oh okay and what're you doing with that? Oh that's it? Okay then uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
There were the nude bodysuits don't forget.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I sort of instinctually want to defend Matt Lucas since I loved Shooting Stars so much, but even then it's objectively true that Angelos Epithemou was funnier

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Alex really having all the power while seeming to be subservient plays into the psychosexual power dynamic of Taskmaster, in this three-hour YouTube video I will

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The Little Britain apology also doesn't take into account the fact that they did Come Fly with Me in TYOOL 2010.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

reality_groove posted:

The Little Britain apology also doesn't take into account the fact that they did Come Fly with Me in TYOOL 2010.

Christ, it was that recent? I assumed that came out right after Little Britain ended.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

reality_groove posted:

It was a different time. It might even still be a different time now, although most agree that it was no longer a different time by Obama's second term.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

reality_groove posted:

they also re-did some Little Britain sketches, including a super transphobic one, on some BBC charity thing literally last year

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
In short, no idea what the gently caress and they nasty still.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

loopsheloop posted:

Thanks for the context, I despise him on the show and it's good to know I'm not hating the English Tom Hanks

He generally comes across decent and likable IRL (unlike his co-star Walliams who I find to be an unbearably smarmy creep and whose books are sub-Roald Dahl trash). His bits on Shooting Stars were frequently the highlights, and he even re-recorded one his silly songs from there as an NHS charity single last year.

But even so, it's hard to imagine a normal human being looking at some of the stuff in Little Britain/Come Fly With Me and thinking "Yeah this is okay, we should definitely do this."

I think the worst thing was LB actually managed to coin a new racial insult ("Ting Tong") that hadn't existed prior to then. Well done there lads. Well done.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Paladinus posted:

I don't think Williams did much actual comedy since Williams & Friend, which I thought was atrocious. But it's unavoidable that as a well-known comedian he would still have a career of guest appearances and judging talent shows.

Talent shows on which, if stories are to be believed, he's super creepy backstage. His kids book empire is super weird but I suppose Lidl Rhold Dahl was an obvious open market.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I read both Matt and David's autobiographies fairly recently and it's clear which one of them is a) the actual funny one and b) not a total oval office.

Spoiler - It's Matt.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Dell_Zincht posted:

I read both Matt and David's autobiographies fairly recently and it's clear which one of them is a) the actual funny one and b) not a total oval office.

Spoiler - It's Matt.

Why would you do this to yourself

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

Why would you do this to yourself

Being involved in the world of professional comedy once upon a time means I read a lot of comedian's autobiographies. It's fun to read the lies in quite a few cases.

See; Kay, Peter

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Dell_Zincht posted:

Being involved in the world of professional comedy once upon a time means I read a lot of comedian's autobiographies. It's fun to read the lies in quite a few cases.

See; Kay, Peter

Frank Skinner's autobiography is incredible.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Matt Lucas always seems nervous to me. He just gives off this vibe of someone trying really hard to be loud and funny and bubbly at a social event because he's dying inside and is terrified people won't like him. I know that is almost a definition of 'comedian' but with him it's really obvious.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Dell_Zincht posted:

See; Kay, Peter

If you could write, anonymously, a devastating expose of all the lies I'd be very grateful, and titillated.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

See; Kay, Peter

Are you telling me that every single gig Peter Kay ever did might not have been a smash hit?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
If you want a palette cleanser, Bob Mortimer's autobiography is a good read. Especially if you can't get enough of him on Would I Lie To You, there's an opportunity to play along at home...

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Heavy_D posted:

If you want a palette cleanser, Bob Mortimer's autobiography is a good read. Especially if you can't get enough of him on Would I Lie To You, there's an opportunity to play along at home...

He also debunks one of the lies Peter Kay told about him in his second autobiography. Intentional or not it's pretty funny.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

If you could write, anonymously, a devastating expose of all the lies I'd be very grateful, and titillated.

That would take forever, ha

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

An american magazine of some sort did a write up on why they don't like matt and noel as hosts of the bake off.

While the HEADLINE I agree with, god it just feels so loving american. They don't get self deprecation at all.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
They're making an american Would I Lie to You?

https://deadline.com/2021/12/would-...mat-1234868258/

As formats go, I can see if being a better fit than many for a new world remake but they'll probably make a hash of it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
On the (tenuous) subject of game show remakes I saw an ad for what looks like a British version of Jeopardy but it's called, ahh... "I literally just told you". And hosted by Jimmy Carr. Switzerland had the right idea, I tell you

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Marmaduke! posted:

On the (tenuous) subject of game show remakes I saw an ad for what looks like a British version of Jeopardy but it's called, ahh... "I literally just told you". And hosted by Jimmy Carr. Switzerland had the right idea, I tell you

It looks nothing like Jeopardy.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I saw a clip of that where the question was which game show host and comedian was caught in a tax evasion scandal in 2012. That was fun to watch Jimmy Carr presenting.

especially as the contestant didn’t get it.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8ca32J6/

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 16, 2021

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It’s one of Richard Bacon’s shows in his new capacity as “television producer” and the format is nothing like Jeopardy.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Paladinus posted:

It looks nothing like Jeopardy.

Nah I'm just getting mixed up with the shows having different ways of approaching giving answers, I think the (apparent) awfulness broke my brain briefly

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Just bring back real Jeopardy! We had it back in the early 90s, I think?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Think there was a few versions. I remember one hosted by Paul Ross on Sky maybe?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

They're making an american Would I Lie to You?

https://deadline.com/2021/12/would-...mat-1234868258/

As formats go, I can see if being a better fit than many for a new world remake but they'll probably make a hash of it.

It will fail. American TV makers and audiences don't get panel shows

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

@midnight got so damned close, they really got the format and seemed to build up a nice little audience. Just obviously not enough.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how well they can do the polite embarrassment and self deprecation that are a core part of the format. Maybe if it goes a bit more grandiose.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I guess the closest we've come to a panel show crossing over is Whose Line is it Anyway?, which shares a lot of similarities with stuff like Mock the Week and WILTY but isn't really the same thing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Part of BBC4's reduced remit as an archive channel, they've been showing the 1970's Christmas ghost stories on monday. Though to find them on the Iplayer I've had to google "BBC Christmas ghost stories" and see what's on, because they aren't pushing them at all and they don't even have "M. R. James" in the title or description. They've got a modern one out on Christmas Eve (iirc) by Mark Gatis about a hosed-up mezzotint. It's called The Mezzotint.
Also, and I know this is treading over old ground, but how poo poo is BBC Sounds? I listen to something on Radio 3, and want to hear more like that from that channel, I now have to do some serious searching to find the Radio 3 schedule. There's a Radio 3 logo on the programme page, but it's just a background image. It's been one of the most destructive changes for their online offerings, as they've forced all of their radio offerings into a provider that doesn't respect the traditional channels at all.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the removal of the homepages for the stations has hosed it right up. It's also got an absolutely dogshit recommendations algorithm because it's impossible to tell it you're not interested in something.

Probably some of the worst interface design I've seen in a while as well. So much dead space, repeated content and bad info.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goatface posted:

I don't know how well they can do the polite embarrassment and self deprecation that are a core part of the format. Maybe if it goes a bit more grandiose.

Americans just don't get being self depricating, it just doesn't work
Hell that article I posted about bake off shows it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
you know what's poo poo?

me

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Stephen Toast makes a grand return; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PZcg_7EmJ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Really excited for more Toast. The popularity of What We Do in the Shadows probably helped getting it greenlit. There was even a tiny Easter egg in the last season, where Berry's character played Toast's theme on piano.