Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
One of my coworkers just quit his approaching-mid-six-figures job rather than go find an unscrupulous doctor or church official in order to qualify for an exemption to my employer‘s vaccine mandate.

Never ceases to amaze me how we set the bar so loving low for these people and they still manage to trip over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bob Morales posted:

Best Regards,

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Network McNetworkson | TAC Engineer 2

FORTINET TAC - America EAST

NSE Certified: 1,2,3,4,6,7

Office Hours: Sun.-Thurs. 8:30-4:30 PM EST

"Get 6 NSE certificates, label them 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7, and release them. people will go mad looking for number 5."

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mattfl posted:

I’m due for another raise in April and have plenty of room to grow salary wise so I’m really not looking to move on to anything else. While I’m given a lot of high level responsibility the rest of my job is cake and I basically make my own hours and come and go as I please. My boss gives me plenty of room to do what I need to do and basically lets me run things when he’s not there but still stay in the technical weeds. I see what he goes through on a daily basis where his day consists of mostly meetings and that’s just not for me.

Get back in your pod! :v:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

One of my coworkers just quit his approaching-mid-six-figures job rather than go find an unscrupulous doctor or church official in order to qualify for an exemption to my employer‘s vaccine mandate.

Never ceases to amaze me how we set the bar so loving low for these people and they still manage to trip over it.

Or just, you know, go to CVS and get the loving vaccin and not be a big baby about it. A family acquaintance decided that they would rather get fired from a pretty cush nursing job instead of getting vaxxed

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

luminalflux posted:

Or just, you know, go to CVS and get the loving vaccin and not be a big baby about it. A family acquaintance decided that they would rather get fired from a pretty cush nursing job instead of getting vaxxed

Oh, I’m in total agreement, I’m just bewildered that even if you genuinely believed taking the vaccine would hurt you, you’d rather lose your job than just getting someone to sign a drat piece of paper for you.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

All the people that refused to get vaccinated for whatever reason where i work were able to get "religious exemptions"

We need to bring back the Inquisition.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Two hours of troubleshooting an SFTP issue and it turns out their Java application silently fails if the SSH key passphrase has certain special characters in it 😭

Edit: Oh and we had to make three accounts for them because their software can't handle subdirectories

Lum fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 2, 2021

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I worked with a company a few years ago that wanted to charge us for them to implement SFTP after I demonstrated how they used a shared username/password baked into their program's executable that was used by every single client of theirs to upload protected health and medical data via FTP to a folder with read permissions. Ergo, anyone with wireshark could sniff the username/password and go steal a shitload of protected information from all of their other clients.

In the end we did wind up paying them a few thousand to implement SFTP.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 2, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Blue Moonlight posted:

So… where can I send my resume? I got all the shots and if they get me a 4th I’ll take that too

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

An 8 hour call with 30 engineers. A reboot of the server fixed it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Religion has searched centuries for the perfect description of Hell. That first sentence captured it entirely.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yuuup. Thankfully I was only on for the last 90 minutes or so, and only then because my boss's boss pitched a fit. Just sheer stupidity.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
When you said a reboot of the server fixed it, my first thought was that it made the call drop so the trapped engineers could finally leave.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

That's conferencecall.biz through and through right there. :stonk:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

How the gently caress was this not tried in the first 15 minutes?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanatosian posted:

I'm sure it's because said server is doing these other <critical!!!> things that would be interrupted for some number of seconds while the system rebooted. This was unacceptable to management so 30 engineers all wasted 8 hours of time to try to find a workaround for the obvious.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

Please give me a call at 123-4567

*calls 123-4567 within 5 minutess of receiving email*

quote:

Your call has been forwarded to a voice mailbox

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Thanatosian posted:

At oldjob, we wouldn't reboot servers until we had laboriously pored over application logs and Windows event logs on the box itself (LOL central logging) because if it was some transient bit flip, a reboot would remove any ephemeral evidence that we could use to determine a root cause. Invariably, after an hour or two, we would get to "well, everything looks right, nothing is obviously wrong nor is there any logging data supporting anything being misconfigured. This really feels like a reboot" and then everything would magically start working again once we rebooted.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Happiness Commando posted:

At oldjob, we wouldn't reboot servers until we had laboriously pored over application logs and Windows event logs on the box itself (LOL central logging) because if it was some transient bit flip, a reboot would remove any ephemeral evidence that we could use to determine a root cause. Invariably, after an hour or two, we would get to "well, everything looks right, nothing is obviously wrong nor is there any logging data supporting anything being misconfigured. This really feels like a reboot" and then everything would magically start working again once we rebooted.

Root Cause Analysis: Something needed rebooting

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, it's a combination of things. Had a bunch of management on the call, didn't mean to imply it was only engineers. Critical server that brings the entire company down, fetishization of "root cause," a house of cards that no one understands, lack of comfort with regular reboots, etc., etc. The place I am at now is so massively incompetent. They hit like every bad practice possible with everything they do.

I try not to be on those calls because I am just a lowly engineer who is also relatively new and if I say anything it's going to cause political fallout. I'd rather just bide my time until I start looking for a new job. Not worth fighting about.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Please someone tell me I'm not crazy: Has anyone seen a rule to FOWARD EMAILS to their CALENDAR in outlook? If so how the hell do you get them out?

E: figured it out. Just change your calendar to list view! Still, gently caress outlook forever.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 3, 2021

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Part of my job is doing admin and support for our VDI environment, and lately I've had a lot of users choosing to die on a really stupid hill. They're refusing to update the VMware Horizon client on their personal devices to a version that's supported by VMware Horizon 8.x. Versions as old as 4.3 will still connect, but not very well and constantly drop connection leading to frozen sessions. Which leads to the same bunch of people constantly submitting tickets for me to log off their frozen session so they can connect again, and then ignoring my suggestion to upgrade their client. Since we upgraded to Horizon 8 there's been a logon message targeted to outdated clients informing them they need to update, and to contact IT if they need assistance.

A couple weeks ago I got approval to start blocking connections from unsupported clients. Since then I've been blocking a few versions at a time to limit the impact and have time to help people update. Turns out most of them haven't updated because they're still on Windows 7, and Horizon 8 only supports Windows 10. So far they've either finally upgraded to Windows 10 or settled on using the web client. But today my boss and I got a bunch of angry messages on Teams from someone who refuses to update because they say a coworker told them newer versions of the client don't support fullscreen on multiple monitors.

This message was my favourite:

quote:

Moving to a newer version should not create a hardship for the user in the way they do their job so I would prefer to remain at the current version I am at. So if you could please allow me to continue to use the unsupported version that would be great, thanks.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah, it's a combination of things. Had a bunch of management on the call, didn't mean to imply it was only engineers. Critical server that brings the entire company down, fetishization of "root cause," a house of cards that no one understands, lack of comfort with regular reboots, etc., etc. The place I am at now is so massively incompetent. They hit like every bad practice possible with everything they do.

I try not to be on those calls because I am just a lowly engineer who is also relatively new and if I say anything it's going to cause political fallout. I'd rather just bide my time until I start looking for a new job. Not worth fighting about.

I remember when RCAs were about factfinding and not hanging a random employee out to dry. It's about the same time that I stopped investigating outages and instead I started derailing the blame train.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I remember when RCAs were about factfinding and not hanging a random employee out to dry. It's about the same time that I stopped investigating outages and instead I started derailing the blame train.

In order to prevent similar mistakes in the future, we recommend that Jordan stop being such a fuckup. In the alternative, stop giving him important work to do.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hungry Computer posted:

Part of my job is doing admin and support for our VDI environment, and lately I've had a lot of users choosing to die on a really stupid hill. They're refusing to update the VMware Horizon client on their personal devices to a version that's supported by VMware Horizon 8.x. Versions as old as 4.3 will still connect, but not very well and constantly drop connection leading to frozen sessions. Which leads to the same bunch of people constantly submitting tickets for me to log off their frozen session so they can connect again, and then ignoring my suggestion to upgrade their client. Since we upgraded to Horizon 8 there's been a logon message targeted to outdated clients informing them they need to update, and to contact IT if they need assistance.

A couple weeks ago I got approval to start blocking connections from unsupported clients. Since then I've been blocking a few versions at a time to limit the impact and have time to help people update. Turns out most of them haven't updated because they're still on Windows 7, and Horizon 8 only supports Windows 10. So far they've either finally upgraded to Windows 10 or settled on using the web client. But today my boss and I got a bunch of angry messages on Teams from someone who refuses to update because they say a coworker told them newer versions of the client don't support fullscreen on multiple monitors.

Ugh, I always hate special snowflakes with 3 or 4 monitors.

It's not working! Yeah, because you're asking too much of this software. Most people have at most two monitors, what did you think was going to happen exactly?

The best part is when someone in management needs 4 screens to flex on people and it's just outlook and excel and maybe a browser, and you have to get it working on a Dell TB15 dock that doesn't work and had literally been recalled already and this guy desperately needs to look productive with his great wall of monitors.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Root Cause Analysis: We don't know why it stopped working, we don't know why what we did fixed it, but at least there is symmetry.

Had to log that one on a validated system earlier this week.

Actually, I do have a strong theory. The issue was, PowerShell remoting stopped working, breaking a backup job needed for data integrity purposes. In fact, no accounts with admin access could connect. There was an error message about decoding the http response, but googling it turned up two fixes that didn't work. I spent a couple of hours on it and asked another tech to take a look. He got it working in 45 minutes, so the Second Technician Effect is still in force.

What my junior tech did, was add his secondary, admin account as a local administrator. He already had admin access due to group membership, but now he had explicit admin privs for his account. He was able to connect with an Enter-PSSession. So was my secondary account, and so was the service account that had to work. Get-PSSessionConfiguration returned identical results before and after.

Then he removed his account from local admins, and we all still had access. My theory is that the local security database had gotten somehow "stale", and making a change refreshed it. My research indicated that there may have been an authentication or access issue, but Get-PSSessionConfiguration convinced me there wasn't.

Anybody know what really happened ? Win 7 SP1 target system by the way.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

mllaneza posted:

Root Cause Analysis: We don't know why it stopped working, we don't know why what we did fixed it, but at least there is symmetry.

Had to log that one on a validated system earlier this week.

Actually, I do have a strong theory. The issue was, PowerShell remoting stopped working, breaking a backup job needed for data integrity purposes. In fact, no accounts with admin access could connect. There was an error message about decoding the http response, but googling it turned up two fixes that didn't work. I spent a couple of hours on it and asked another tech to take a look. He got it working in 45 minutes, so the Second Technician Effect is still in force.

What my junior tech did, was add his secondary, admin account as a local administrator. He already had admin access due to group membership, but now he had explicit admin privs for his account. He was able to connect with an Enter-PSSession. So was my secondary account, and so was the service account that had to work. Get-PSSessionConfiguration returned identical results before and after.

Then he removed his account from local admins, and we all still had access. My theory is that the local security database had gotten somehow "stale", and making a change refreshed it. My research indicated that there may have been an authentication or access issue, but Get-PSSessionConfiguration convinced me there wasn't.

Anybody know what really happened ? Win 7 SP1 target system by the way.

poo poo is witchcraft and sorcery. The system is haunted and must be replaced; ensure that you prepare a proper sacrifice to the outgoing machine spirit and then cleanse the location according to stand practice prior to installing the new device.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I’ve run into that. Or something that could be that. I worked with Microsoft on it in early 2021; it’s the second windows bug I’ve discovered and brought to their attention in my career.

I have no idea how or why it occurs, but the bug is with cached credential info somewhere. It’s rare and extraordinarily difficult to reproduce. But once the credential information exists in this cached state, attempts to connect with those credentials across a network will fail.

My guess is a bit flip in the credential store of the target machine.

It actually affects many windows versions through at least server 2016. In the months I dealt with this, we encountered it three times on three customer systems. I was able to prove the issue existed on the Microsoft side, and that’s where eventually my responsibility ended.

To the best of my knowledge they have not published a KB about this one yet. Probably because it’s rare and hard to reproduce.

And yes, rebooting is the only solution we could find.

The other bug I found was in server 2008 and had to do with the System VSS Writer. It would fail (and disappear from the list of writers entirely) if there were more than 10,000 sub folders in a directory it was supposed to access. The most common cause being .NET which makes a giant mess of folders under System32.

This was fixed in 2012 or 2012R2. I forget which, and a KB was put out like 18 months after I reported it.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Well deciding to look for a new job in the new year isn't off to a great start - I've never used linkedin so I setup an account and sent out a bunch of link requests to people I do actually know and that are appropriate. 1 day later and my account is locked down and restricted.

I'm guessing having loads of link requests pending because its the weekend has triggered some bot - would have probably been wiser to do it on a weekday so people could respond.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has us-east-1 taken a dump again?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Thanks Ants posted:

Has us-east-1 taken a dump again?

Yeah, we’re seeing that.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

us-west-2 supremacy

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

incoherent posted:

us-west-2 supremacy

The problem is that there are a lot of core services that are only hosted in us-east

ie- https://twitter.com/d_feldman/status/1468265185630687233?s=21

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's also the zone that handles every authentication that people make as root (yes I know, don't do that)

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It also apparently handles poo poo like Amazon Fresh order delivery, so my groceries have been packed and are just... waiting in a warehouse somewhere, hopefully refrigerated. I shouldn't have waited until I was out of food to place an order, guess I'm going to be eating out today.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shook hands with COOL SALES GUY VISITING FROM CALLYFORNAY

Now my hands stink real bad like Drakkar Noir or something

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Shook hands with COOL SALES GUY VISITING FROM CALLYFORNAY

Now my hands stink real bad like Drakkar Noir or something

Drakkar Noir: For when a college kid wants to smell like a man... from all the way across the room.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dear Slack, please stop loving around with the design of the text entry box. Now it's too tall, for no loving reason. Those icons fit just fine on the one line.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hungry Computer posted:

But today my boss and I got a bunch of angry messages on Teams from someone who refuses to update because they say a coworker told them newer versions of the client don't support fullscreen on multiple monitors.

I don't know if the user has correct information, but if they do, I hate to break it to you - the user is right. Multiple monitor support is a very minimal baseline requirement to be productive for many roles and it's IT's job to make sure they aren't breaking stuff like that during updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

KillHour posted:

I don't know if the user has correct information, but if they do, I hate to break it to you - the user is right. Multiple monitor support is a very minimal baseline requirement to be productive for many roles and it's IT's job to make sure they aren't breaking stuff like that during updates.

In this case the user is likely misinformed though and it sounds like they didn't bother checking with IT before refusing to update. New versions of the horizon client support multiple monitors just fine. Up to 4 monitors I believe.