Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I mean even with the side effects, it's a quirk strong enough to gain a place in the UA Heroics course and even be a pro hero. Most quirks are completely useless for hero work. For a quirkless kid that would be an amazing gift. As the parent of a quirkless kid, it's the kind of offer you'd have to be literally insane to pass up. Like, the statistics and treatment of quirkless in Japan isn't exactly nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Ytlaya posted:

Feel bad that Aoyama is doing all this for a lovely quirk that he has to shoot out of his belly button.

To be fair, the laser does seem pretty strong the few times we get to see him actually use it seriously and not for a poop joke.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

the obvious problem is that while the vast majority of people have a quirk it's also true that very few people get a hero license. Midoriyas mom presumably uses her quirk to light 1 candle per week. You don't stand out that much if you don't have one except for as a kid before you're told that using it is likely to be illegal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brandfarlig posted:

the obvious problem is that while the vast majority of people have a quirk it's also true that very few people get a hero license. Midoriyas mom presumably uses her quirk to light 1 candle per week. You don't stand out that much if you don't have one except for as a kid before you're told that using it is likely to be illegal.

Midoriya's mom has to use a lighter to light a candle. She uses her quirk to maybe pick up her purse or phone.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I always thought of Aoyama getting the runs when he shoots too many lasers as being exactly the same as Uraraka getting nauseous when she lifts too much. It's not really a dead giveaway or really even any sort of indication that his quirk didn't belong to him.

The character poll results are worse than any recent chapter, imo. When the gently caress has Present Mic done anything?

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 3, 2021

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Deku's mother's quirk probably could be very strong for hero work, if she actually worked on it. It's just that, like most people, she's not interested in fighting baddies for a living.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nephthys posted:

Eh the creepy Aoyama chapter was just before the Gentle arc, right? That isn't that long ago. It's confirmed as foreshadowing this now.

Except the opposite of this last fake teaser happened where it was written then as "it looks bad but Oh he's just bein weird and might have a crush on deku " doubling back on a joke reveal to say it was actually what it looked like could work....of Aoyama was ever a character outside of that joke in the first place

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

christmas boots posted:

I mean I guess the revelation that his quirk wasn't really compatible with his body should have been a bigger red flag than it was. I think I just assumed that it happens sometimes but I guess the only other examples we have of a person not being able to handle their quirk are Deku--who got jacked up with multiple generations of superman steroids at once--and Dabi the failed Eugenics baby.

I was thinking about this too, because it makes more sense than All For One giving him the pants making GBS threads quirk.

All For One giving him the pants making GBS threads quirk is infinitely funnier, on the other hand

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Midoriya's mom has to use a lighter to light a candle. She uses her quirk to maybe pick up her purse or phone.

I knew I was misremembering. My point mostly stands though.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It had to happen some time, quote =\= edit

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s the top 10, number 9 was a character from the movie that just came out, it’s dire

Mirko got less points than the gas villain

Japan poll voters are the worst

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Do you think this quirk also made All For One poo poo his pants before he gave it to Aoyama?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rhonne posted:

Do you think this quirk also made All For One poo poo his pants before he gave it to Aoyama?

Learning that the guy trying to jack his body was a chronic pantshitter is how Shigraraki will break free

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except the opposite of this last fake teaser happened where it was written then as "it looks bad but Oh he's just bein weird and might have a crush on deku " doubling back on a joke reveal to say it was actually what it looked like could work....of Aoyama was ever a character outside of that joke in the first place

It was a double-fakeout, set up to make him suspicious only to clear him of suspicion when actually there was still enough to suspect him. His 'still waters run deep' line was bizarrely pointed if he wasn't going to be the traitor and after he tells Deku he's only interested in him because they're similar he gets that gravely serious look like he's feeling guilty.

Plus Aoyama has had moments where he's serious like when he saved Tokoyami and during the license exam. Looking back on it this reveal does explain all of his odd behavior and responses.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Nephthys posted:

It was a double-fakeout, set up to make him suspicious only to clear him of suspicion when actually there was still enough to suspect him. His 'still waters run deep' line was bizarrely pointed if he wasn't going to be the traitor and after he tells Deku he's only interested in him because they're similar he gets that gravely serious look like he's feeling guilty.

Plus Aoyama has had moments where he's serious like when he saved Tokoyami and during the license exam. Looking back on it this reveal does explain all of his odd behavior and responses.

This also means that All for One knows about Uraraka having a crush on Deku. Whether or not that ever comes up, I think we need to take note of that as some of the highly classified intel he was in a position to pass along.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nephthys posted:

Again, I get that, in concept that's fine but in reality as the story exists it feels unearned and kind of meandering and pointless. Like a lot of the arcs and character beats lately.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

It also helps explain why, during the attack on the summer camp, Dabi didn't attack Aoyama even after making (what seemed to be) direct eye contact with hm.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Literally the only good thing I can say about this is that it logically makes sense. Which, like I said, is above what I was expected.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

christmas boots posted:

This also means that All for One knows about Uraraka having a crush on Deku. Whether or not that ever comes up, I think we need to take note of that as some of the highly classified intel he was in a position to pass along.

Thank god. AFO dropping an epic drama bomb can still happen. The manga is saved.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Uraraka launching All for One to space and turning him into Kars because of the sheer embarrassment of her crush being revealed would be an acceptable ending.

Deku is off-panel and missed the whole thing

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

Uraraka launching All for One to space and turning him into Kars because of the sheer embarrassment of her crush being revealed would be an acceptable ending.

imagine what a wombo-combo zero-G'ing him and then smashing him would be

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

imagine what a wombo-combo zero-G'ing him and then smashing him would be

You're too late AFO. I've already stolen your G R A V I T Y

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm hoping for a reveal where Aoyama was given an incomplete copy, leading to a scene of AFO triumphantly chucking as he pelvic-thrusts a gigantic beam at All Might.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Anshu posted:

It also helps explain why, during the attack on the summer camp, Dabi didn't attack Aoyama even after making (what seemed to be) direct eye contact with hm.

Yeah except that Dabi didnt seem to know there was an inside agent per his conversation with AFO

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

Given there's precedent of Shigaraki learning to use his disintegration on stuff he isn't directly in contact with, Uraraka should be able to do the same thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Uraraka uses her quirk to jettison AFO into space, Deku retires and later in life becomes the greatest hero of all: a father.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah except that Dabi didnt seem to know there was an inside agent per his conversation with AFO

I like to think that Dabi knew and AFO just wanted to give Dabi yet another burn.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Shere posted:

I always thought of Aoyama getting the runs when he shoots too many lasers as being exactly the same as Uraraka getting nauseous when she lifts too much. It's not really a dead giveaway or really even any sort of indication that his quirk didn't belong to him.

The character poll results are worse than any recent chapter, imo. When the gently caress has Present Mic done anything?

I thought Uraraka gets nauseous when she uses her power on herself.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I don't like how the fakeout at the end of the last chapter went but I'm ok with this reveal.

I feel awful for Aoyama and his family. They're under AFO's thumb and absolutely terrified of him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even though I extremely doubt it will happen, I actually kind of hope they give Aoyama some sort of important role. He basically has more direct personal involvement in the conflict with AfO than any other major cast member except for arguably Deku himself.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

DizzyBum posted:

I don't like how the fakeout at the end of the last chapter went but I'm ok with this reveal.

I feel awful for Aoyama and his family. They're under AFO's thumb and absolutely terrified of him.

He was really trying to take a fall at the license exams, but Iida just had to encourage him

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Here is the official release for those two goons that still don't read spoilers

I actually like cheese boy being the traitor and I think there were solid clues and foreshadowings in hindsight and Invisible girl discovering him could be interesting as well. With better writing, this could be something that happened like... 100 chapters ago and served as a way to develop both characters and add extra drama and relevance for some of the least used characters. Unfortunately, we are getting it way past the point the traitor stuff had any relevance and it will probably all get immediately solved anyways by Deku being there, so it kinda comes off like a wet fart, despite the foundations being good. :sigh:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The official release should be linked regardless of spoilers-read-status because the translation is notably better.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Surprised to find out Nutsack Face was a faithful translation, and the more I think about it the funnier this scenario is. All for One's bragging about how many friends he's got while said friends are literally crying and making GBS threads and snitching on themselves. Thanks for the advice old man but I think Dabi's got the better plans here

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I have nothing to say except this - Kirishima would be one of those assholes who goes outside shirtless in the snow and claims he's not cold at all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bakugo calling AfO nutsack face is incredibly funny and I'm glad it made it to the official release.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

TheHan posted:

Surprised to find out Nutsack Face was a faithful translation, and the more I think about it the funnier this scenario is. All for One's bragging about how many friends he's got while said friends are literally crying and making GBS threads and snitching on themselves. Thanks for the advice old man but I think Dabi's got the better plans here

Dabi doesn't succeed at anything and you know it. His only win is the Endeavour thing. Sure, that matters but his record is poo poo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mineta spent all chapter picking at his balls. Nice.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought Uraraka gets nauseous when she uses her power on herself.

It's both. Floating too much or floating herself causes nausea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Arzaac posted:

I was thinking about this too, because it makes more sense than All For One giving him the pants making GBS threads quirk.

All For One giving him the pants making GBS threads quirk is infinitely funnier, on the other hand

"If you think that side effect's bad, you don't wanna betray him."