Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao

Oh these fucks totally knew the whole time. Also great job abandoning your hosed up kid to the wolves

Who wants to bet Trump Mama encouraged him to shoot the "foreign" looking kids and helped him plan it?

Accessory to murder: gently caress involuntary manslaughter

Apparently the couple's lawyer put out a panicked press release going "Uhhh, n-no, the Crumbleys aren't on the run for law enforcement, they just kind of... uhh... left town last night in the dead of night... because they didn't want to be caught up in the media circus... Th-they're TOTALLY on the way back home to turn themselves in though. I'm sure they are. They've got to be. oh god, oh poo poo, oh fuuuuuuck"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Speaking of assurances I'm starting to doubt, I'm not too confident the the millions of people who were promised some debt forgiveness are just going to forget or not care next year when the promises start again...

https://mobile.twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1466514219633942528

https://mobile.twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1466544767727071238

Ruh-roh

The whole student loan thing has been a tremendous own goal and a microcosm of how the democrats handle their campaign promises.

"Forgiving 10k > we'll look into it > your payments restart january". People were hoping for this and it will crush them (mentally and financially) to start it again. I could understand if he did a review and couldn't do it, and decided to zero interest, or keep the payments frozen (since we *know* he has the authority for it), but he's doing the very opposite of his stated objective, and his study never amounted to anything - or maybe they finished in April and that memo that was discussed a couple of weeks ago has the goods.

People are going to feel a way about that. Considering the margins they have for the midterms, they need every vote; pissing off your voters like that seems to be a huge misstep.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kalit posted:

Why are you even bringing up Huey Newton when I was talking about how ineffective a gun is for personal self defense? One of the side reasons he had a gun might have been for self defense? I honestly don’t know.

But he used them for way the gently caress more than that. For show was definitely a big reason, hence why they would do open carry demonstrations.

E: VVV because lib and let die was trying to get a sick dunk on me by bringing up Newton when I was talking about how guns aren’t good tools for personal self defense. If you go back a few posts, you can see it

You're conflating population-level statistics with individual outcomes. They inform policy not personal decisions. These statistics do not at all show guns aren't useful for self defense, it shows allowing people to use them for self defense is bad policy because it leads to worse outcomes.

Baked into these numbers are things individuals have control of. Training, safety, storage, etc are the controlling factors for most of these outcomes, and research shows us that if we let the population own guns, more people are going to do dumb poo poo then people who are responsible+actually need one.

These aren't random factors at an individual level. You don't roll a D20 to decide whether you put the gun in the safe or play Russian roulette. A firearm held by an individual with proper training (including safety training), who follows safety rules, and stores their firearm properly in a secured container is very useful for self defense: it's just if you let people own firearms for self defense far too few people will actually do that. I have extensive experience and training with firearms but I've never actually owned a gun because I would never store a gun in my home without a safe to properly secure it, and they're loving expensive.

The problem isn't little like me who do the right things, the problem is that there is no system possible in which I am allowed to own a gun and a whole bunch of people who don't do the right things don't also get one. You want to drag more people over to the side of restrictions stop trying to tell them you need to take them away for their own good. Tell them there's no way they can have one without also letting the dipshits who get drunk and leave them on the coffee table have them. The dipshits are a lost cause.

The exception is mental health. No one with any sort of serious mental health concern should have a gun in their home, full stop, regardless of training/safety. That also falls under good decisions we can't trust the majority of the population to make.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Meatball posted:

The whole student loan thing has been a tremendous own goal and a microcosm of how the democrats handle their campaign promises.

"Forgiving 10k > we'll look into it > your payments restart january". People were hoping for this and it will crush them (mentally and financially) to start it again. I could understand if he did a review and couldn't do it, and decided to zero interest, or keep the payments frozen (since we *know* he has the authority for it), but he's doing the very opposite of his stated objective, and his study never amounted to anything - or maybe they finished in April and that memo that was discussed a couple of weeks ago has the goods.

People are going to feel a way about that. Considering the margins they have for the midterms, they need every vote; pissing off your voters like that seems to be a huge misstep.

I remember this time last year thinking about how that forgiveness would help speed up a lot of life plans and lol.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The dems apparently decided keeping the Mega Donors who invested in student loan debt (same fucks who caused 2008 Crisis naturally!) were more important to keep on the payroll than passing popular reforms

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

Apparently the couple's lawyer put out a panicked press release going "Uhhh, n-no, the Crumbleys aren't on the run for law enforcement, they just kind of... uhh... left town last night in the dead of night... because they didn't want to be caught up in the media circus... Th-they're TOTALLY on the way back home to turn themselves in though. I'm sure they are. They've got to be. oh god, oh poo poo, oh fuuuuuuck"

They already flew to Belarus on Trump's jet.

Unless it's Covid job related or the student was blatantly ripped off by Phoenix/DeVry etc, I think a lot of people probably have a problem with everyone getting their student loans waived especially if they had to pay their own off over 10+ years.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 3, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TulliusCicero posted:

The dems apparently decided keeping the Mega Donors who invested in student loan debt (same fucks who caused 2008 Crisis naturally!) were more important to keep on the payroll than passing popular reforms

The debt that they're talking about forgiving is held by the federal government; there are no donors. Private student loan forgiveness was never under discussion.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

They're risking a lot of democratic seats and their majoirty too.

People will feel a kind of way after being taken for a ride like that; not even "we can't do it", it's "not only are we not doing it, we're going to put the pressure back on and put you in a worse place than before."

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

These are government-held loans, there's no one to appease here except the imaginary BUT HOW WILL WE PAY FOR IT crowd.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Meatball posted:

It is stunningly stupid.

The proper response right now would be to juice voter enthusiasm with literally anything possible and spend piles of money on branding.

They will not do any of that.

Edit:

Not that it's going to matter to the cult but

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1466192137687552001

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 3, 2021

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

It is stunningly stupid.

The proper response right now would be to juice voter enthusiasm with literally anything possible and spend piles of money on branding.

Edit:

Not that it's going to matter to the cult but

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1466192137687552001

I guess nobody can get a general strike going so them Dems are going to get a voter strike going

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if private student debt holders were pushing against publicly held debt forgiveness because once you establish the principle that kids shouldn't be saddled with a lifetime of debt slavery to get an education that raises some questions about whether their little private student loan gravy train should exist at all.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

nine-gear crow posted:

Given what we know about the mom's beliefs at the very least, I'm surprised the excuse for running away isn't that they fear an antifa death squad is forming up to hunt them down. They'll be in custody by this time tomorrow even if they are trying to run away, at least this time these scumbags will have to face up to what they have done to their son and the community.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

VitalSigns posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if private student debt holders were pushing against publicly held debt forgiveness because once you establish the principle that kids shouldn't be saddled with a lifetime of debt slavery to get an education that raises some questions about whether their little private student loan gravy train should exist at all.

I mean the the answers to those questions are "It shouldn't! Also, free college should be publicly available to all." so yeah, I'd believe that.

People who make money off of horrible things are always going to fight tooth and nail against making those horrible things less horrible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vasukhani posted:

Why is it the parents responsibility to get their kid into therapy (I doubt they could even find a therapist if they wanted to). The state needs to have ultimate authority over minors, not leave it to randoms.

Jesus Christ Vasukhani, do you ever read back what you post?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I still don't know what the logic - even gun fetishist/CHUD logic - is behind sending your kid to school with ammo, buying him a gun, and texting him "lol, I'm not mad you did it. Just learn to not get caught!" after the school calls you could be.

She didn't want him to get caught or show it off, so it wasn't some kind of guns rights flex to stick it to the man.

But, she also didn't want him to shoot up the school.

But, his dad also bought him two handguns under his own name and gave them to him.

But, his mom also seemed to know that he was about to go on a shooting spree when she texted him to wait and not do it.

What is the logic to giving your teen kid who has said he wants to shoot up the school ammo, but telling him to keep it secret and just enjoy the fact that he is the only one who knows he has ammo in school?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I still don't know what the logic - even gun fetishist/CHUD logic - is behind sending your kid to school with ammo, buying him a gun, and texting him "lol, I'm not mad you did it. Just learn to not get caught!" after the school calls you could be.

She didn't want him to get caught or show it off, so it wasn't some kind of guns rights flex to stick it to the man.

But, his dad also bought him two handguns under his own name and gave them to him.

But, his mom also seemed to know that he was about to go on a shooting spree when she texted him to wait and not do it.

What is the logic to giving your teen kid who has said he wants to shoot up the school ammo, but telling him to keep it secret and just enjoy the fact that he is the only one who knows he has ammo in school?

Mental Health is generally viewed with disdain in a lot of conservative households, between calling the kids "Babies/Wusses" and belittling them as "Needing to man up", its entirely unsurprising if its true that they are Chud/MAGA types that they would choose to ignore their kids mental health and instead just assume they need to push more toxic masculinity on a 15 year old including exposing them to unsecured firearms.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus Christ Vasukhani, do you ever read back what you post?

Ban this sick filth for making me agree with you

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I have feeling there's some further disturbing details we haven't gotten yet as to this family dynamic. Mom seemed like a conspiracy addled nutcase: maybe she got some sick satisfaction of owning the libs by tee heeing about her son carrying around bullets under the nose of the leftist regime.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Vasukhani posted:

Why is it the parents responsibility to get their kid into therapy (I doubt they could even find a therapist if they wanted to). The state needs to have ultimate authority over minors, not leave it to randoms.

I have bad news about the history of state authority over Native American children in the US

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I don't think there's any logic here and that's the point, it's just incredibly incompetent parenting to the point that I think it qualifies as reckless endangerment.

I'm no legal expert, but what was done here feels like being an accessory to murder. We've decided that bars can be responsible for accidents caused by drunk drivers and I feel like people who willing supply guns to be who are obviously planning to commit acts of murder and violence.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

It is stunningly stupid.

Not only will they not do any of it they will fervently argue why its a bad idea to do it.

TulliusCicero posted:

maybe she got some sick satisfaction of owning the libs by tee heeing about her son carrying around bullets under the nose of the leftist regime.

Big "I'm giving teachers the middle finger while my hand is in my pocket" energy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Didn’t Rittenhouse use the same kind of statement?

I’m not fleeing the authorities, I’m fleeing for my safety!

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Keyser_Soze posted:

Unless it's Covid job related or the student was blatantly ripped off by Phoenix/DeVry etc, I think a lot of people probably have a problem with everyone getting their student loans waived especially if they had to pay their own off over 10+ years.

I worked in the oilfield to pay off my student loans really fast and the experience made me really big on free college and debt forgiveness because we were out there offshore busting our dicks for what? Strip malls, gas stations, cardboard houses, poverty, debt? It fuckin sucks to work in a critical job you can be really proud of and then come back home every month and realize all the fruits of it were squandered on building a trashy lame loving scam based society.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Beastie posted:

Didn’t Rittenhouse use the same kind of statement?

I’m not fleeing the authorities, I’m fleeing for my safety!

I mean, they're not wrong...based on some of the things I saw posted on our local Facebook group and hahaah Nextdoor, there were plenty of people ready to hit them pretty hard.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Medullah posted:

I mean, they're not wrong...based on some of the things I saw posted on our local Facebook group and hahaah Nextdoor, there were plenty of people ready to hit them pretty hard.

I wouldn't shed a single tear for people who groomed, armed, and trained a fascist terrorist, they deserve whatever they get

I really am glad to hear the community isn't making excuses, this kid isn't becoming the new Kyle

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Wang Commander posted:

I wouldn't shed a single tear for people who groomed, armed, and trained a fascist terrorist, they deserve whatever they get

I really am glad to hear the community isn't making excuses, this kid isn't becoming the new Kyle

He killed Good White People not filthy criminal antifa.

Key difference, they care about the dead in this case.

vvvvv

We should definitely add a complex means-testing apparatus so the people who most need the loan forgiveness can do extra work, as long as you can be reassured that group statistically least likely to have college debt doesn't accidently get money.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 4, 2021

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Wang Commander posted:

I worked in the oilfield to pay off my student loans really fast and the experience made me really big on free college and debt forgiveness because we were out there offshore busting our dicks for what? Strip malls, gas stations, cardboard houses, poverty, debt? It fuckin sucks to work in a critical job you can be really proud of and then come back home every month and realize all the fruits of it were squandered on building a trashy lame loving scam based society.

A lot of 4-year colleges are a huge ripoff (because the football/basketball coach inhales 90% of their revenue), so it's important to at least keep those Junior Colleges essentially "free" and the State schools as cheap as possible.

I borrowed a shitload for grad school and paid it all back myself - so I do have a tiny bit of "meh" towards some wealthy dipshit that went to some expensive school that they chose and now demands it be paid off and whines on the internet. Everyone else should get at least that $10k relief though.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Keyser_Soze posted:

With this attitude, why improve anything?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Keyser_Soze posted:

I borrowed a shitload for grad school and paid it all back myself - so I do have a tiny bit of "meh" towards some wealthy dipshit that went to some expensive school that they chose and now demands it be paid off and whines on the internet. Everyone else should get at least that $10k relief though.

Every single wealthy overeducated dipshit whines loudly on Twitter, so you've seen the whole population of them and it's not many people. If school were free those places would be full of genuine scholars and not moron failsons I think

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Keyser_Soze posted:

If the crabs work together they could get out of the bucket

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Student loan debt slavery is something Joe Biden genuinely, personally believes in. He's never going to forgive it. These are their values. This is what they are willing to sacrifice everything for.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

A lot of 4-year colleges are a huge ripoff (because the football/basketball coach inhales 90% of their revenue), so it's important to at least keep those Junior Colleges essentially "free" and the State schools as cheap as possible.

What was being discussed before you went off about bootstraps--by the indy voter on CNN, as well as by Biden during his campaign--was the $10k relief, not full forgiveness.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Student loan debt slavery is something Joe Biden genuinely, personally believes in. He's never going to forgive it. These are their values. This is what they are willing to sacrifice everything for.

Hell, he was a big part of making student-loan debt non-dischargeable through bankruptcy back in 2005.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 4, 2021

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yep. Big wet boy is under fewer ideological constraints than the goblin libs in general even

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

What was being discussed before you went off about bootstraps--by the indy voter on CNN, as well as by Biden during his campaign--was the $10k relief, not full forgiveness.

Hell, he was a big part of making student-loan debt non-dischargeable through bankruptcy back in 2005.

You should only get $5k forgiven from your loans or have $5k more added on.

Actually start a poll of people who have paid off their loans on how they feel about everyone else getting (even some) of theirs paid off. My tiny bit "meh" will be among the 10% of reasonable people while the other 90% will demand full repayment with penalties or prison time (or both!). Enjoy!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 4, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Allie_Elisabeth/status/1466888434086207492?s=20

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

Actually start a poll of people who have paid off their loans on how they feel about everyone else getting (even some) of theirs paid off. My tiny bit "meh" will be among the 10% of reasonable people while the other 90% will demand full repayment with penalties or prison time (or both!). Enjoy!

Wow, you negotiate downward better than Congressional Dems! You should run for office.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

I guarantee you, the vast majority of people who say they're against student loan repayment and aren't already die-hard right-wingers don't actually care enough about the issue for it to sway their vote, no matter how much they grumble.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wang Commander posted:

This but anything to do with the American Education system. I try to still make a difference but the disillusionment with the reality of this lovely society weighs in hard

At this point my wife and I are in serious talks to leave this growing sinkhole altogether and head for New Zealand or Canada or something, any place a bit more sane than here.

I flat-out refuse to live in a state/ country that codifies into law that my partner is a 2nd class citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wang Commander posted:

Why is that a job you would be “really proud of”?