Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think I am following. Basically start taking the 15% out of my paychecks now and roll into it savings. Gets me use to living off of that amount, and then when I am actually eligible for the program I can start paying myself back from that fund. Then a year from now I actually start making money off of this.

A co worker who is really into personal finance says he maxes it out, and assuming you sell right away its basically a 2.25% raise on the year. If you hold it for 2 years you can bump that up to 2.45% by his calculations.

Exactly. Get your buffer now, and once you are ready to go you know exactly what you can afford. Once you have rolled through the program for a year you will be playing with a majority of house money.

The 2 year thing is a short vs long term taxes play. It is much riskier as you are exposed to an increased concentration of risk in your company. The 0.20% raise assumes flatline stock price. If it goes up you make more, if it goes down you can lose money including your initial investment. You have this same risk with the 6 month hold, just for a shorter window. Remember if your stock price tanking catastrophically could also result in layoffs. You are taking the "double down" bet in blackjack. (But with better odds.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
how does vanguard work? im confused

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

It’s a business, op. They are a brokerage. They are owned by their investors.

You give them dollars and they turn it into fractional ownership of companies. You can sell your ownership stake for dollars whenever you want.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Otis Reddit posted:

how does the vanguard app work? im confused

Just tweaking this to say not well.

Love vanguard, but they have never been great with online poo poo. Works well enough where it isn’t make or break though.

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva
I posted this in AI, but I would love your thoughts on this as well.

I have a company car (2019 Subaru Outback. 4000 miles). I have changed roles in my job and they will either (a) take the car away or (b) let me purchase it for 11k.

I live in an urban area and I do not need or want a car. I would be fine with giving the car back, but I’m tempted to buy the car at 11k all cash and re-sell it immediately. Carmax is quoting me 29k. Is this stupid? What am I missing? Is there a better approach? What are the tax implications? Thanks!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
holy gently caress buy that car

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Just buy the car and resell it, you're way overthinking it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Even if you have to pay taxes, you're still going to be up well over $10k. Why would you not just go for that?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

holy gently caress buy that car

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My friend, people are paying 11k for 10 year old corollas. Buy the car.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The only reason but to buy the car and resell it is if you think your bosses might get pissed that you bought a company car and then later don't have a car if one is needed.

Financially speaking, buy the car.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ask if they'll cut you a check for $8k to not buy the car. That should save everybody some work and is really common in situations like this

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I think I know the answer to this, but worth asking anyway.

I am looking to buy a new house and move in the next 6 months. My credit score according to CreditKarma is 794. Is there any massive benefit to getting it up into the 800s and any way to accomplish that in the short term? The only thing I get dinged on is the age of my credit which not much I can do about that.

Also anything to avoid in the short term aside from massive spending sprees?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think I know the answer to this, but worth asking anyway.

I am looking to buy a new house and move in the next 6 months. My credit score according to CreditKarma is 794. Is there any massive benefit to getting it up into the 800s and any way to accomplish that in the short term? The only thing I get dinged on is the age of my credit which not much I can do about that.

Also anything to avoid in the short term aside from massive spending sprees?

CreditKarma is an estimate and really is just a basic guide to your actual credit. "Trying to get my score up" is just being financially responsible and letting it happen. Don't carry balances on credit cards, don't open a bunch of new cards, etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not clear that there's any real benefit to increasing your score if it's 780 or higher.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Medullah posted:

CreditKarma is an estimate and really is just a basic guide to your actual credit. "Trying to get my score up" is just being financially responsible and letting it happen. Don't carry balances on credit cards, don't open a bunch of new cards, etc.

ultrafilter posted:

It's not clear that there's any real benefit to increasing your score if it's 780 or higher.

Thanks. Figured as much, just wanted to make sure I am doing all I can these next few months to get myself the cheapest mortgage rate, best deal on home purchase, etc.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

In my experience anything over 740 when it comes to mortgages is the best rate you can get.

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva
Thanks to everyone for the kick in the rear end and reassurance. It feels like there has to be a catch so I was definitely overthinking it. Looking forward to starting the car paperwork tomorrow!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
In 2022 I will need to get healthcare coverage in the US for the first time in my life. I'll be using the healthcare.gov marketplace and I'm a bit overwhelmed at my options.

Any good resources on what I should be looking for?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

In 2022 I will need to get healthcare coverage in the US for the first time in my life. I'll be using the healthcare.gov marketplace and I'm a bit overwhelmed at my options.

Yes, LinkedIn.com. Find a job that provides you with healthcare.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

It gets worse: which state are you in? Some have people who can help you through the process.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Yes, LinkedIn.com. Find a job that provides you with healthcare.

Thanks, gently caress off.

H110Hawk posted:

It gets worse: which state are you in? Some have people who can help you through the process.

Georgia. I’m not TOO worried, I’m in a weird transition state and have savings, so mostly I’m looking at higher deductibles and lower total out of pocket.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Thanks, gently caress off.

Georgia. I’m not TOO worried, I’m in a weird transition state and have savings, so mostly I’m looking at higher deductibles and lower total out of pocket.

Man, I don't think that was meant as hostile. US Healthcare is hideously expensive and low quality unless (and often even if) you obtain it through work.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you end up the the same lovely situation as me where healthcare.gov is prohibitively expensive, but you make too much for any assistance, Christian Healthcare Ministries is the least-awful option I’ve found.

It’s not governed as “insurance” so there catches. They won’t cover anything preventative, and won’t cover the results of an “ungodly action.” (were drugs involved?). You can’t really appeal their judgement, which scares me. It’s also weird having to get a referral from a minister that’s the “right kind of Christian” before signing up.

That said, it’s cheap and the “deductible” is $500 per incident. 3 years in, they paid for a $30,000 melanoma surgery, a baby delivery and two kidney stones in my house.

USA!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

If you end up the the same lovely situation as me where healthcare.gov is prohibitively expensive, but you make too much for any assistance, Christian Healthcare Ministries is the least-awful option I’ve found.

It’s not governed as “insurance” so there catches. They won’t cover anything preventative, and won’t cover the results of an “ungodly action.” (were drugs involved?). You can’t really appeal their judgement, which scares me. It’s also weird having to get a referral from a minister that’s the “right kind of Christian” before signing up.

That said, it’s cheap and the “deductible” is $500 per incident. 3 years in, they paid for a $30,000 melanoma surgery, a baby delivery and two kidney stones in my house.

USA!

Ummm congratulations on your incredible luck I guess, but a lot of these refuse to pay out for literally anything, and are a massive scam. They have no obligation whatsoever to pay out for anything, ever, at all.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man, I don't think that was meant as hostile. US Healthcare is hideously expensive and low quality unless (and often even if) you obtain it through work.

I genuinely was not trying to be an rear end in a top hat. There are three kinds of health insurance available on the market in the U.S.: ridiculously loving expensive, terrible, and both ridiculously loving expensive and terrible.

It loving sucks, but most insurance you get through an employer is waaaaaayyyy better than anything you'll find on the market.

If there's someone you could marry to get on their employer-provided insurance, there's a good chance that that's better, too, even with the downside of a marriage of convenience.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

USA!

This is terrible advice. I'm glad it worked out for you so far, but.....no. Please do not suggest this to people.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Yeah, we've recently been talking about those Christian health sharing plans in the Bad With Money thread.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

USA!

I would not give these people money if you can avoid it. They are part of the problem. I really want to expand but it's immediately D&D. I have probably said too much.

Get something off healthcare.gov - even the worst plans will prevent you from literal insolvency in the event you have a huge ER-ICU recovery thing. See if there are local brokers you can go through to help guide you through the process. There are open enrollment periods, literal guesswork at your income for the year, penalties if you get it wrong - including if you manage to get a big unexpected raise, and more. Covered California I know has people who help you through the process, paid by the state, which can get you the least worst options. I don't know if Georgia has the same.

If you can, try to find a job that offers you a Kaiser Bronze (or better) plan if that is a thing in your neck of the woods. It's the best of the HMO's.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If you have a regular doctor, be sure to check if the ACA plans you are looking at are taken by your doctor.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Being told to "get a job" felt like a cheap shot, but I'll also admit that I'm being a bit over sensitive in the funy computer forum, so no harm done.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Yeah, right now I'm mostly looking at not going bankrupt in case of an emergency, I can cover deductibles and co-pays, and I don't have any preexisting conditions. For non emergencies I also have the option of taking a flight back home where healthcare is substantially cheaper than in Hell, USA, but obviously I'd rather not depend on that.

I guess I'll call the healthcare.gov line and see if they can set me up with a broker who can go with me through the options.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

eddiewalker posted:

USA!

Do not do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFetFqrVBNc

My mom uses the healthcare.gov for hers in Ohio. basically...expensive, she makes some money but not a lot so a weird spot. My advice is to avoid going off of healthcare.gov. There are a LOT of scams out there for "insurance".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Being told to "get a job" felt like a cheap shot, but I'll also admit that I'm being a bit over sensitive in the funy computer forum, so no harm done.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been so flippant. It most definitely was not you I was making GBS threads on, it was the American health care system.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I'm being pushed into changing banks due to a merger, so I'd like to look at other options like online-only banking. Currently I have only a checking account that is primarily used for paycheck direct deposits, ATM withdrawals, and it's linked with my Paypal/Venmo. I keep a balance in the $1x,xxx range in it. I use it to pay my credit cards, and I write maybe half a dozen checks a year. I rarely have to make deposits, and if I do it's not cash. My wife has a separate bank account with a physical location near us.

Is there some good no-frills banking for me? I suppose things that are important are ATM access, low/no fees, a good online/mobile app, and potentially the ability to earn some interest (which may involve a savings account).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Easychair Bootson posted:

I'm being pushed into changing banks due to a merger, so I'd like to look at other options like online-only banking. Currently I have only a checking account that is primarily used for paycheck direct deposits, ATM withdrawals, and it's linked with my Paypal/Venmo. I keep a balance in the $1x,xxx range in it. I use it to pay my credit cards, and I write maybe half a dozen checks a year. I rarely have to make deposits, and if I do it's not cash. My wife has a separate bank account with a physical location near us.

Is there some good no-frills banking for me? I suppose things that are important are ATM access, low/no fees, a good online/mobile app, and potentially the ability to earn some interest (which may involve a savings account).

Personally I go with Ally but I don't use it for the ATM access. I have a savings, a checking for my HOA (keep about 6 months of dues in it), a checking with Venmo that I keep $500-1000 in (personally I would not link Venmo to my pay my bills checking). I believe Ally reimburses $10/mo of ATM fees, none of my accounts have debit or atm cards though.

For no cost ATM access Charles Schwab is the way to go if you need to do this often or overseas.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Easychair Bootson posted:

Ally is fine. They refund some amount of atm fees and have a decent network (Allpoint - around me that means Target, Walgreens, some gas stations). Their online check deposit works fine, moving money around is also fine. Support is fine. I don't have a checkbook through them so I can't comment on that. I have a brick and mortar bank for that. Joint accounts work great actually, my wife and I have separate logins to the same account. Biggest win over my prior bank (Capital One 360 / ING Direct) - They support living/revocable trust accounts.

Biggest downsides - I don't think they support wiring? I've never tried. No two factor authentication (SMS doesn't count.)

Edit: Same as above re: paypal (venmo, paypal) - I have a second checking account that has $100 in it and no overdraft protection. Paypal can gently caress right off. And in old man yells at cloud news - they are starting to push Zelle but I'm not signed up for that. Citi is making it harder and harder to mail people checks but it's still there. Never use Zelle. It's paypal levels of dispute resolution.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 6, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Also look at local credit unions and see if any have decent interest. My local CU has high yield checking on balances up to 20k if you make 12 debit transactions a month, which I find easy to meet. Makes me an extra :20bux: a month. But I consider myself lucky, my previous city did not have deals like that. I still preferred the local CU back there regardless, as they will almost definitely give you a better banking experience, in terms of customer service etc, than a big bank.

With interest rates what they are though, don't expect to make a fortune from interest anywhere

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ally does Wires. It is the same process if you do it on a B&M online portal where they call you and you repeat it all back to them. For our last house I moved my money to Chase just so I could walk in a do the wire, So much easier.

Agree with Ally being "Fine". Never had an issue moving, depositing, getting money.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

alnilam posted:

Also look at local credit unions and see if any have decent interest. My local CU has high yield checking on balances up to 20k if you make 12 debit transactions a month, which I find easy to meet. Makes me an extra :20bux: a month. But I consider myself lucky, my previous city did not have deals like that. I still preferred the local CU back there regardless, as they will almost definitely give you a better banking experience than a big bank.

With interest rates what they are though, don't expect to make a fortune from interest anywhere

The thought of using a debit card...... If I had to use a debit the account would have like $250 in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

spwrozek posted:

The thought of using a debit card...... If I had to use a debit the account would have like $250 in it.

I use it for sub-$10 in-person purchases, never online. I keep everything else on my credit card so i can max rewards on that while still meeting 12 debit swipes a month.

Yeah having all that money in checking isn't ideal to me but I'm getting $20/month and it's insured :shrug: