Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Pissing in the wind here but, I think what's likely going to happen is something akin to the Slenderman stabbers. He's going to do time, likely within a psychiatric ward, and probably out sometime in his 30s.

I don't think anyone was rooting for life in a supermax but we could all easily see the courts/jury leaning that way in these idiotic times.

I’m ok with what you said about the shooter but his parents deserve to never breathe a breath of free air again. They 100% allowed this to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's been ten years away since the Seventies--is that ten years finally up?

https://www.sciencealert.com/for-the-first-time-a-fusion-reaction-has-generated-more-energy-than-absorbed-by-the-fuel

quote:

A major milestone has been breached in the quest for fusion energy.

For the first time, a fusion reaction has achieved a record 1.3 megajoule energy output – and for the first time, exceeding energy absorbed by the fuel used to trigger it.

Although there's still some way to go, the result represents a significant improvement on previous yields: eight times greater than experiments conducted just a few months prior, and 25 times greater than experiments conducted in 2018. It's a huge achievement.

Physicists at the National Ignition Facility at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory will be submitting a paper for peer review.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^Holy poo poo. That's actual awesome news.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Accelerationism is bad and dumb. But I don’t see any point in voting for the mainline Dems until they start doing stuff since they seem to deliberately allowing themselves to lose to rile up their base without losing their donors. I’ll vote for the independents and progressives that actually kinda try.

If 10% of the people who voted for Biden followed this logic, we'd be balls deep in Trump's second term.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 4, 2021

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Bored As gently caress posted:

Man, I would've gotten in so much loving trouble if I went to school these days. All I did during most classes in high school was doodle battles from WWI and II, Warhammer 40K and other poo poo with guns, aliens, and war.

I bet a bunch of otherwise good kids are now gonna get sent to the principal's office over doodles.

I was pulled into the dean/principle's office in middle school because I had drawn a map of the locker room on my TI-83 and they were worried about A Terrorism or bombs or whatever.

And when I say "drawn a map" I mean a rectangle with a few lines on it, because I was a middle schooler with all the map-making skill that entails (i.e., none).

This was in 2000.

The US has always been hosed up. Hopefully the kid gets help and the parents rot in jail.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It’s very difficult, if not impossible, to convince me a 15 year old should stand trial as an adult.
I’m not saying have him roaming the streets but we as a society should be invested in rehabilitation of this kid vice trying him as an adult. The adult system is a full blown retribution machine, and not something we should be subjecting children to.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s very difficult, if not impossible, to convince me a 15 year old should stand trial as an adult.
I’m not saying have him roaming the streets but we as a society should be invested in rehabilitation of this kid vice trying him as an adult.

The juvenile system likely loses jurisdiction over him in either 3 or 6 years, whether punishment or rehabilitation is the path.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

The juvenile system likely loses jurisdiction over him in either 3 or 6 years, whether punishment or rehabilitation is the path.

3-6 years is a lifetime for a child.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

3-6 years is a lifetime for a child.

I would argue it's unlikely to be enough time for him to be ready to rejoin society, though.

Edit: I'm not saying lock him up and throw away the key, but the juvenile system has limitations that may/may not be ideal for a case like this.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 4, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Zamujasa posted:

I was pulled into the dean/principle's office in middle school because I had drawn a map of the locker room on my TI-83 and they were worried about A Terrorism or bombs or whatever.

And when I say "drawn a map" I mean a rectangle with a few lines on it, because I was a middle schooler with all the map-making skill that entails (i.e., none).

This was in 2000.

The US has always been hosed up. Hopefully the kid gets help and the parents rot in jail.

I was expelled as a sophomore, mostly for being a generic troublemaker, but when I wore a duster the day after Columbine, I sealed my fate with stupidity. I was 16, so give me a little credit for having grown in the 22~ years since then.

They tried the "he has a map" angle on me but every student was given a day planner at the beginning of the school year that had a floorplan of the entire school, so their argument soared like a brick. I didn't have anything on me, just made a terrible attempt at dark humor quite literally too soon. I ended up moving to another state and wound up with a GED at the end of my junior year.

But anyhow, yes, the kid needs serious help. The parents can rot every last day of their lives in prison as far as I'm concerned.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Godholio posted:

I would argue it's unlikely to be enough time for him to be ready to rejoin society, though.

I think the entire family is unsalvageable.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ethan-crumbleys-parents-james-and-jennifer-crumbley-charged-in-wake-of-oxford-high-school-shooting?ref=home

quote:

Four days before 15-year-old Ethan allegedly opened fire at his Michigan high school, his parents bought him an unusually early Christmas gift: a 9mm Sig Sauer handgun.

The teen accompanied his father, James Crumbley, to buy the gun at Acme Shooting Goods in the small town of Oxford. Ethan referred to it that night on Instagram as his “new beauty.”

The next day, his mom, Jennifer Crumbley, who once posted an open letter thanking President-elect Donald Trump for protecting “my right to bear arms,” penned her own Instagram post. “Mom & son day testing out his new Xmas present,” she wrote, McDonald said on Friday.

By Monday, however, Ethan’s new present, which was kept in an unsecured drawer in his parents’ bedroom, was already causing concern at Oxford High School.

A teacher found Ethan searching for ammunition on his cell phone during class and reported it to higher-ups. Administrators left a voicemail for Jennifer Crumbley and followed up with an email, but received no response.

“Lol, I’m not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught,” Jennifer texted her son.

-----

The day after James Crumbley bought the weapon, a woman in Florida filed a complaint against him for thousands in unpaid child support, according to court records reviewed by The Daily Beast. Money has apparently been an issue in the Crumbley household for several years. Shortly after the 2016 election, Jennifer Crumbley posted a missive to Donald Trump in which she claimed she was skipping car insurance payments to hire a tutor for Ethan, blaming the “common core” curriculum mandated in schools. She seethed in the letter about schools where the “kids come from illegal immigrant parents” and “don’t care about learning.”

“As a female and a Realtor, thank you for allowing my right to bear arms,” Jennifer Crumbley wrote. “Allowing me to be protected if I show a home to someone with bad intentions. Thank you for respecting that Amendment.”

James Crumbley posted a link on Facebook to his wife’s screed, commenting, “My wife can be spot on. Sometimes.”

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You know if they accidentally get aired out by the Marshals I don’t think I’m going to be too terribly upset.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Godholio posted:

^Holy poo poo. That's actual awesome news.

If 10% of the people who voted for Biden followed this logic, we'd be balls deep in Trump's second term.

As it turns out, deposing a toddler with his hand on the "Blow poo poo Up" button was more important than advancing a progressive agenda. The toddler has been quarantined on a golf course, hopefully with his phones tapped, and has allowed our attention to return to "oh, wow, actually most of these people are loving worthless."

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Godholio posted:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hamedaleaziz/biden-remain-in-mexico-expanding

Buzzfeed posted:

On Monday, US officials plan to restart the policy, which Biden officials have publicly stressed they oppose, at a single port of entry on the southern border before it’s expanded elsewhere.

But as part of this effort, the White House is expanding who can be eligible to be sent back across the southern border to include anyone from the Western Hemisphere other than Mexico. Under Trump, only people from Spanish-speaking countries and Brazilians were allowed to be returned to Mexico.

The expansion included in the reintroduced policy makes it possible for US border officials to send Haitians to Mexico, which generally did not happen in years prior.

Department of Homeland Security officials have stressed that they will continue to rely on Title 42, a public health order citing the pandemic that allows for quick deportations, for all of those who are eligible. In September and October alone, the Biden administration sent back thousands of Haitians through the public health order.

The inclusion of the entire Western Hemisphere in the new guidance took many by surprise.

“This is going beyond good faith implementation of the court order,” one former Biden appointee said. “When you add new populations and are doing it in addition to Title 42, you are intentionally implementing a program that you know is largely indistinguishable from the prior one and putting more populations in it.”

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I for one hope that we go easy on the young white terrorist

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

PookBear posted:

but what about mom and dad?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PookBear posted:

Based on what we know, his parents were the reason he is the way he is.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

ur right and IMO prison reform needs to start right here and now with this young white terrorist

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

quote:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/03/us/michigan-oxford-high-school-shooting-superintendent-message/index.html

"On Thursday night we contacted the Oakland County prosecutor to discuss this matter and to advise her that James and Jennifer Crumbley would be turning themselves in to be arraigned," the statement from attorneys Shannon Smith and Mariell Lehman said. "Instead of communicating with us, the prosecutor held a press conference to announce charges."

The statement added: "They are not fleeing from law enforcement despite recent comments in media reports."

A law enforcement official told CNN the parents withdrew $4,000 from an ATM in Rochester Hills, Michigan, on Friday. Rochester Hills is about 10 to 15 miles from Oxford.

Law enforcement had been able to track the couple's whereabouts by cell phone pings but can no longer do so as the couple's cell phones are turned off, the official said.

The source did not specify when the phones were turned off.

Prosecutors were worried about the couple evading law enforcement because they didn't have ties to their community and officials had trouble locating the Crumbley couple once their son was being arraigned, the source added.

The parents' arraignment had been scheduled for late Friday afternoon, but as of Friday evening the parents were still missing, according to the Oakland County Sheriff's Office.

Undersheriff Michael McCabe told CNN a sergeant with the county's fugitive task force had spoken with one of the attorneys, who said she had not actually talked with the parents.

The undersheriff said he is confident the couple will be found, and it's a "matter of when."

Society would've been better off if this family never existed.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

facialimpediment posted:

Society would've been better off if this family never existed.

A lot more where they came from I’m sure.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TheWeedNumber posted:

A lot more where they came from I’m sure.

As a Missouri native... yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PookBear posted:

ur right and IMO prison reform needs to start right here and now with this young white terrorist

Are you serious with this bullshit? Pretty sure most of us think prison reform should've started a long time ago.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
oh pooki

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

PookBear posted:

I don't give a poo poo a who it starts with as long as it's widespread and consistent.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

try gun reform before prison reform please, the crazy is leaking north of the border.

RCMP caught guys smuggling 6 SBRs, a few dozen pistols and a shitload of high-capacity mags via boat over the St. Lawrence

a few weeks ago CBSA caught a woman with 50+ pistols in her car at Sault Ste. Marie

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

try gun reform before prison reform please, the crazy is leaking north of the border.

RCMP caught guys smuggling 6 SBRs, a few dozen pistols and a shitload of high-capacity mags via boat over the St. Lawrence

a few weeks ago CBSA caught a woman with 50+ pistols in her car at Sault Ste. Marie

If she was in the canadian military having 50+ pistols for self defense against your officer corps is a valid reason IMO

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
bahahahah

https://twitter.com/USMarshalsHQ/status/1466980265566388225

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Motherfucker's head looks like a can of beef a roni.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

3-6 years is more than enough to rehab a child if you actually care to, and have the resources.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/LarryWDIVLocal4/status/1467003098354880516

They go to Rochester Hills, pull $4K from an ATM, then drive ~25 minutes south to Detroit and?????

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Agreed. The kid should spend the next three years undergoing every last psychological evaluation known to man while his parents get the scales of justice rammed up their bottoms without the benefit of lubrication.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Discussion Quorum posted:

Planned Parenthood patient database got hacked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/12/01/los-angeles-planned-parenthood-hack/

Seems real bad. Hopefully they were just trying to steal identities to do unployment fraud or whatever because the alternative uses for this are dark.

You know why someone would want an abortion database after the SC just basically Greenlit the loving Handmaidens Tale.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Agreed. The kid should spend the next three years undergoing every last psychological evaluation known to man while his parents get the scales of justice rammed up their bottoms without the benefit of lubrication.

you ever wonder if all these white kid shooters aren't being groomed for suicide attacks for political reasons, like justifying the carceral system.*

The asterisk is the asterisk in the 14th amendment.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 4, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

When you definitely understand the story of the grinch:

https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/1466799443458543618?s=21

lol what the fucsk

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

That's honestly really uplifting news!

Also,

quote:

Inertial confinement fusion involves creating something like a tiny star. It starts with a capsule of fuel, consisting of deuterium and tritium – heavier isotopes of hydrogen. This fuel capsule is placed in a hollow gold chamber about the size of a pencil eraser called a hohlraum.

Then, 192 high-powered laser beams are blasted at the hohlraum, where they are converted into X-rays. These X-rays implode the fuel capsule, heating and compressing it to conditions comparable to those in the center of a star – temperatures in excess of 100 million degrees Celsius (180 million Fahrenheit) and pressures greater than 100 billion Earth atmospheres – turning the fuel capsule into a tiny blob of plasma.

I know Germans have a lot of dumb words for things that don't really need their own words, but how do y'all not have a word for Hohlraum?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Finally some good news: The war in Ukraine is averted.

Joe Biden posted:

The US president told reporters he was putting together “the most comprehensive and meaningful set of initiatives to make it very, very difficult for Mr Putin to go ahead and do what people are worried he may do”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/03/joe-biden-russia-ukraine-invasion-very-difficult

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That's honestly really uplifting news!

Also,

I know Germans have a lot of dumb words for things that don't really need their own words, but how do y'all not have a word for Hohlraum?

A lot of times when a generic foreign word is used for a science thing, scientists just keep it untranslated to refer to that specific application in order to distinguish it from the generic idea.
e.g. klippe, fenster, horst, graben

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/LarryWDIVLocal4/status/1467003098354880516

They go to Rochester Hills, pull $4K from an ATM, then drive ~25 minutes south to Detroit and?????

The answer is "do a piss poor job of trying to hide"

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1467031433671757824?t=VIgrC-6FNuKPJVA7aEix-g&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I’m going to the dentist to get my hohlraums filled, if you know what I mean.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

They're about as good at hiding as they were at parenting.

Who the gently caress goes to a city to hide, instead of some remote area with a run down motel in the middle of bumfuck, MI?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Bored As gently caress posted:

They're about as good at hiding as they were at parenting.

Who the gently caress goes to a city to hide, instead of some remote area with a run down motel in the middle of bumfuck, MI?

I have a sneaking suspicion that they are not very intelligent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Stultus Maximus posted:

A lot of times when a generic foreign word is used for a science thing, scientists just keep it untranslated to refer to that specific application in order to distinguish it from the generic idea.
e.g. klippe, fenster, horst, graben

Now I need the english scientific context for those words