Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why is that a job you would be “really proud of”?

Oil drillers are the only ones with the gumption and know-how to destroy the asteroid heading to earth and save Liv Tyler.

For some reason, it is easier to train oil drillers to be astronauts than it is to train astronauts to operate a drill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why isn't it? What jobs do you think are pride worthy?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This poo poo is so hosed up. That's downtown Pontiac. Hell my uncle died in that hospital

This poo poo is so surreal that it's happening here man

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It was an engaging job with passionate people in an absolutely essential and at the time incredibly innovative industry, the kind of thing someone would need to be doing regardless of place or time or political or economic system. I think it should be phased out and I think like any big corporation the oil majors are super unscrupulous but you could never call it a "bullshit job".

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Wang Commander posted:

It was an engaging job with passionate people in an absolutely essential and at the time incredibly innovative industry, the kind of thing someone would need to be doing regardless of place or time or political or economic system. I think it should be phased out and I think like any big corporation the oil majors are super unscrupulous but you could never call it a "bullshit job".

haha is this a combination of "well someone had to do it" and "the only moral fossil fuel extraction job was my fossil fuel extraction job"

edit: and maybe a little "actually they were very fine people"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Biden has covid folks we are dead
For the basilisk: long live Kamala

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I somehow think he probably has access to the same monoclonal antibody treatments as Trump, call me crazy.;)

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

gonna actually give evidence, or "i excreted it from my posthole" evidence enough for this forum now

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Naw it's just there's nothing like working in a literal guts of society industry to make you realize the society built on the guts is lovely as hell. My only career aspiration now is too get a bullshit WFH where I can hunker down and do as little as possible.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Craig K posted:

gonna actually give evidence, or "i excreted it from my posthole" evidence enough for this forum now

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/584211-biden-sounding-hoarse-says-he-has-cold

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Majorian posted:

I somehow think he probably has access to the same monoclonal antibody treatments as Trump, call me crazy.;)

REGENERON!

actually Biden would have access to better treatment than Trump if Joe gets COVID since Biden is recently booster'd and also has access to Pfizer's antiviral which is pretty impressive at reducing risk of severe disease

that says he takes daily COVID tests and is taking additional ones since he started having symptoms, says he has a cold

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 4, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Majorian posted:

If an obese cheese-brained slovenly turd who can't walk down gradual inclines without getting winded like Trump could beat COVID with presidential-level medical resources, I think Joe Biden has a decent chance too.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Starsfan posted:

Given what we know about the mom's beliefs at the very least, I'm surprised the excuse for running away isn't that they fear an antifa death squad is forming up to hunt them down. They'll be in custody by this time tomorrow even if they are trying to run away, at least this time these scumbags will have to face up to what they have done to their son and the community.

That's precisely the logic. If we forgive debt, then we have one less thing that we can hold over people's heads. If we have one less thing that we can hold over people's heads, they might be less compelled to take lovely jobs with lovely pay because we force them into a lifetime of debt servitude, and we can't go and let the little people think that they're worthy of that. Debt forgiveness is for big banks and billionaires.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

oh. i see. in your haste to slam a link in, you misread "cold" as "covid". while it is true that "covid" and "cold" share a "c" an "o" and a "d", they are not the same word. if you need more help learning to read i think my brother's kid can loan you some children's books when she's done with them

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Majorian posted:

Why do people act like this is still some special premium cure all for the rich and powerful? My father was just some rando on Medicare last winter during the height of the winter wave and he got monoclonal antibodies. No, they were not a cure all either.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Killer robot posted:

Why do people act like this is still some special premium cure all for the rich and powerful? My father was just some rando on Medicare last winter during the height of the winter wave and he got monoclonal antibodies. No, they were not a cure all either.

It was a joke. I'm doubtful that Biden has COVID in the first place.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Killer robot posted:

i was offered them when i tested positive in january because of the diabetes, but i didn't bother. still don't know what it would have done for me

my covid was weird in that i had zero lung issues, but one hell of a fever and the complete inability to keep down more than like half a can of sprite over the course of the day without vomiting

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the monoclonals were insanely expensive when they were first being produced because they're biologics, compounded with that meaning only rich people got them

Now I think they're being manufactured a lot better or more and they're a lot cheaper, like 50k a treatment down to under 2k now, but there's still the memory of them being mega expensive and they ain't exactly cheap now. Of course the reason medicare randos and people walking into a library can get it for free is because a bunch of politicians are major stockholders in the manufacturers now. DeSantis especially following in the footsteps of his predecessor

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Majorian posted:

I figured you were probably joking on both counts, it's just that I genuinely keep seeing it talked about as rare and exotic (like it was in October 2020 to be fair) and wondered if many people still think it is.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Medullah posted:

They're trash people and deserve what's coming to them

A fox News correspondence position about how government overreach tried to destroy their lives instead of helping their special wonderful patriot son?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

Oh what, you gonna tell me the piss tape isn't real next?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Killer robot posted:

I figured you were probably joking on both counts, it's just that I genuinely keep seeing it talked about as rare and exotic (like it was in October 2020 to be fair) and wondered if many people still think it is.

Eh, I dunno, maybe some folks do? I come from a family of doctors and healthcare workers, so I've had monoclonal antibodies explained to me ad nauseum, usually without me asking. But while people are wrong in thinking that the therapy is rare and exotic or magical or whatever, there is a kernel of truth in there, ie: presidents get top-of-the-line healthcare, if Trump survived COVID then Biden would probably survive it too, etc.

Lib and let die posted:

Oh what, you gonna tell me the piss tape isn't real next?

You know I would never speak such blasphemies.:colbert:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Killer robot posted:

Up here in Canada they are still scarce enough that they are only giving them to people in the ICU of the hospitals, or atleast that's what I understand from what my co-worker who's dad was recently a survivor of a 4 day coma adventure on a ventilator... It turned out he has diabetes and like 3 other co-morbidities and he just about checked out but eventually snuck out of there with his life.

Have those scumbag parents in Michigan turned themselves in yet, or are they trying to hold out to watch their wolverines play in the championship game tomorrow? All I see is that the police haven't heard as of 4 or 5 hours ago about their whereabouts.

Just the thought of vanishing into the wind while your 15 year old kid is arrested for terrorism charges and is facing life in a mental institution.. Like even though their kid is a killer, them abandoning him like that is hosed up.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
They apparently turned off their phones and withdrew 4k from an ATM.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Spoke Lee posted:

You know, this might be a red flag that they’re not turning themselves in?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thaddius the Large posted:

You know, this might be a red flag that they’re not turning themselves in?

I think they just want to surprise the sheriff.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Spoke Lee posted:

Provide any sort of evidence for this.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/03/us/michigan-oxford-high-school-shooting-superintendent-message/index.html

quote:

A law enforcement official told CNN the parents withdrew $4,000 from an ATM in Rochester Hills, Michigan, on Friday. Rochester Hills is about 10 to 15 miles from Oxford.
Law enforcement had been able to track the couple's whereabouts by cell phone pings but can no longer do so as the couple's cell phones are turned off, the official said.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Doctor Butts posted:

Provide any sort of evidence for this.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/03/us/michigan-oxford-high-school-shooting-superintendent-message/index.html

"A law enforcement official told CNN the parents withdrew $4,000 from an ATM in Rochester Hills, Michigan, on Friday. Rochester Hills is about 10 to 15 miles from Oxford."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah they are running. Almost willing to bet there's going to be a standoff.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

gently caress em

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Keyser_Soze posted:

You should only get $5k forgiven from your loans or have $5k more added on.

Actually start a poll of people who have paid off their loans on how they feel about everyone else getting (even some) of theirs paid off. My tiny bit "meh" will be among the 10% of reasonable people while the other 90% will demand full repayment with penalties or prison time (or both!). Enjoy!

It could be 100% of people demanding full repayment in polling and it still wouldn't have anything to do with the reasons the Democrats as a whole and Biden in particular aren't doing anything about student debt and are in fact actively choosing to make the situation worse. Theorycrafting "oh well people want, oh well polls show" is totally orthogonal

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

They ruined the lives of so many people, directly and indirectly, through their actions and inaction.

I don't have any idea how it's going to end, or what ending I'd even hope for.

This sucks.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sekhmnet posted:

"A law enforcement official told CNN the parents withdrew $4,000 from an ATM in Rochester Hills, Michigan, on Friday. Rochester Hills is about 10 to 15 miles from Oxford."

I appreciate that. Just don't want any unsourced information repeated here unless it can be substantiated somehow. Makes us look like idiots if some half truth or lie gets repeated over and over to the point where we just assume it was true.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

They've each got a 10k reward now.
https://twitter.com/USMarshalsHQ/status/1466980265566388225

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

According to the Detroit scanner Facebook page which monitors the police radios, the found the vehicle and someone spotted the wife by the river. SWAT and several police departments plus the FBI are apparently locking down the area. Also apparently they had a goddamn armory in their house which is why SWAT is involved.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ironic that, despite being contenders for worst parents ever, their current actions are probably doing more to help their Son's defense case than anything else they coulda done.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is a wild direction that I don't think anybody saw "depressing American school shooting of 2021 #178" going two days ago.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is a wild direction that I don't think anybody saw "depressing American school shooting of 2021 #178" going two days ago.

Gonna be amazing when Republicans are not only actively fighting against Gun Control legislation before their bodies are even cold, but actively defending these two as human beings and parents because Mom is a MAGAHat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I mean, how else were they supposed to protect their son from CRT?