Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://www.polygon.com/22816157/dungeons-dragons-romance-options-strixhaven

"you can only have a number of lovers up to your proficiency bonus"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
This article assumes having multiple beloved will lead to cheating but wait til they see the hot new polyamoury meta.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Tired: polyamory
Wired: polyarmory

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Azathoth posted:

Tired: polyamory
Wired: polyarmory

I too have played Hades

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

hitting level 5 and immediately seeking a third wife to maximize my stat bonuses

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

change my name posted:

I have a Wife, and we have a Girlfriend... I wish I knew how to check my character sheet, to see if I've leveled up enough to add a Boyfriend onto that as well.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Roll a d20 +2 (proficiency bonus) +1 (masterwork weapon) +2 (polycule)

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There's nothing wrong with game-i-fying relationships but yeah it's going to create some weird results and it's also important to make sure everyone's on the same page because some people can't stand that poo poo.

It is definately a potential pain point because relationships tend to be the one thing TT games do organically because talking at the table and establishing stakes explicitly is like, what the talking is for. It paradoxically moves the emphasis on talking to characters and organically deciding how you feel about them to turning characters into Stat bonuses, which is fine. Lots of videogames do that. But everyone needs to understand that can happen.

It can lead to the opposite result of what you anticipate.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

Goddamn it, where was this game 27 years ago?!?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Turns out that Joseph Smith was just a high level cleric with right splat book.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Extraordinary that it's still somehow better than AW's sweaty sex move system. Which is totally optional, no pressure, we'll just be here sipping cocktails in the lounge, ha ha

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Extraordinary that it's still somehow better than AW's sweaty sex move system. Which is totally optional, no pressure, we'll just be here sipping cocktails in the lounge, ha ha

People being idiots and misrepresenting AW’s sex moves in 2021 should be probatable, hth

Like i don’t like when people misrepresent the Forgotten Realms but at least that usually doesn’t come with the undertone of “you’re a weird pervert and you make your RPGs uncomfortable explicit sex unsafe spaces” that posts like this quoted one invoke

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
My hot take on the sex moves Is they shouldn't just be about sex and be broadened to wider array of kinds of intimacy, but I never found them gross or out of place.

I might like them more if I cared about the genre in question at all.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Who or what is an AW sex move?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who or what is an AW sex move?

In apocalypse world everything is a "move", even narrative stuff. Because the genre conventions in aw are all badass loner weirdos barely holding on for survival sex "moves" are narrative actions a particular character takes to evolve a relationship and expose vulnerability, again, because of the genre.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

e.g.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

I'll just keep the 1-barter and spend it on my side piece.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Listen folks, you can have unlimited Beloveds 😌

It's just the Inspiration that's limited.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Guildencrantz posted:

I was phoneposting when I mentioned those time pool rules earlier, but here's a link to the Angry GM blog post about it.

It's really overwritten and a slog to read through (aside from the dumb Maddox "I'm so smart shtick", for the love of god separate rules text from design notes! and it's your own blog, nobody is censoring you, either say gently caress or don't!), so here's a very short condensed and readable version I've typed up for the benefit of my players.

Earlier this year he actually did exactly as you wished he did by making a condensed PDF and a slightly cleaner article with more examples and explanation.

https://theangrygm.com/definitive-tension-pool/

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Proven posted:

Earlier this year he actually did exactly as you wished he did by making a condensed PDF and a slightly cleaner article with more examples and explanation.

https://theangrygm.com/definitive-tension-pool/

Oh hey, sweet, thanks for the heads up!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

nelson posted:

That’s just terrible. If I were the DM I would quit and say it’s unethical to create adventures for players that just want to avoid them.

I don't know why you think our DM must be exactly like you. He is not only fine with it but constantly dangling adventure threads before us to see which we'll pull and which we'll ignore. Both the ones I mentioned were the result of random encounters, not major quest-givers we walked away from. When he puts in the work to design a dungeon or adventure site that will take 2 months to a year of real time to go through, we never walk away from that, but we don't always explore or do everything. I hope you either have players who are OK with you determining what the next adventure is without their input, or only design adventures in coordination with them.

I am now imagining a DM getting furious at players for only exploring part of a dungeon and then walking away without finishing it. "You missed a secret door, you idiots! All my preparation, ruined!"

As an aside, I've noticed a very substantial gap in expectations generated by the differences between old-school face-to-face play and online play, especially on platforms like Roll20. Face-to-face, or in the theater of the mind (like the campaign I referred to), it's possible to improvise or run a whole dungeon adventure on the fly if need be. In Roll20 and other graphics-intensive online platforms, maps have to be uploaded and prepared ahead of time, and it can be extremely labor-intensive. The group I'm playing with in Roll20 right now accepts a lot more railroading because we know the DM has sunk a lot of work into preparing the next set of maps and encounters, even when it's a metagame consideration. (Even in that campaign, though, he'll often hold off on designing a smaller adventure until it's clear we're going to nibble on the plot thread. For the headliner stuff, it's understood that we'll adventure where the adventure is prepared for us.)

I have played in campaigns where the DM spun up a major plot centered around one PC, and that PC's player just shut down instead of participating. The ethical response to that is to talk with the player or players like human beings and friends do, and work things out, although I suppose storming off in a huff or being passive-aggressive towards everyone for months aren't deeply unethical.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm going to collect Beloveds equal to my proficiency bonus and then teen-marry some completely unrelated people for that sweet week's worth of AC bonus via Ceremony.

Every goon should be a fan of Unnatural Lust Transfixion, which allows you to roll +Weird instead of +Hot when seducing an NPC.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 4, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Narsham posted:

I don't know why you think our DM must be exactly like you. He is not only fine with it but constantly dangling adventure threads before us to see which we'll pull and which we'll ignore. Both the ones I mentioned were the result of random encounters, not major quest-givers we walked away from. When he puts in the work to design a dungeon or adventure site that will take 2 months to a year of real time to go through, we never walk away from that, but we don't always explore or do everything. I hope you either have players who are OK with you determining what the next adventure is without their input, or only design adventures in coordination with them.

I am now imagining a DM getting furious at players for only exploring part of a dungeon and then walking away without finishing it. "You missed a secret door, you idiots! All my preparation, ruined!"

As an aside, I've noticed a very substantial gap in expectations generated by the differences between old-school face-to-face play and online play, especially on platforms like Roll20. Face-to-face, or in the theater of the mind (like the campaign I referred to), it's possible to improvise or run a whole dungeon adventure on the fly if need be. In Roll20 and other graphics-intensive online platforms, maps have to be uploaded and prepared ahead of time, and it can be extremely labor-intensive. The group I'm playing with in Roll20 right now accepts a lot more railroading because we know the DM has sunk a lot of work into preparing the next set of maps and encounters, even when it's a metagame consideration. (Even in that campaign, though, he'll often hold off on designing a smaller adventure until it's clear we're going to nibble on the plot thread. For the headliner stuff, it's understood that we'll adventure where the adventure is prepared for us.)

I have played in campaigns where the DM spun up a major plot centered around one PC, and that PC's player just shut down instead of participating. The ethical response to that is to talk with the player or players like human beings and friends do, and work things out, although I suppose storming off in a huff or being passive-aggressive towards everyone for months aren't deeply unethical.

lol had this happen to me last night, though not so quite such a degree. had the culmination of the first act of the end of the story and they just straight up missed an obvious branch of the path. not so much a hidden door as a little underwater passage clearly marked on the map. the encounter was most of where i would give them context about who they were going to fight after and what those NPCs motivations were. They didn't notice it and I didn't have a reason to draw their attention to it, which was ultimately fine, they just lost out on some flavoring and context for the villains and their future plans. wish i hadn't spent an hour or so prepping all that, but what ya gonna do?

on the plus side, the party's kleptomaniac goblin warlock now unknowingly has a shockingly large quantity of powerful explosives in his Handy Haversack, which will definitely not be something that i find a fun way to exploit in a future encounter. dude seriously just grabbed the box full of mysterious black orbs labelled "bile" and squeezed them into his pack. i love him so much

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I play almost exclusively online and yeah this can be a real problem. So much so that I recently made the decision to abandon Roll20 entirely because I realized as the dm I just wasn't having fun with that style of preparation.

My solution now is to make most dungeons just... simpler and I'll have a player map it in real time if it becomes an issue. For encounters I simplify them a bit and mostly run totm, favoring dangerous but short encounters. If even one player is confused about positioning I just throw up something real quick in owlbear rodeo but I don't spend hours meticulously making maps and puzzle encounters.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Ash Rose posted:

My hot take on the sex moves Is they shouldn't just be about sex and be broadened to wider array of kinds of intimacy, but I never found them gross or out of place.

I might like them more if I cared about the genre in question at all.

Agreed. The developer (Vincent Baker) has even come out saying that making the Moves specifically about sex was mostly a product of designing games in his 2000s edgelord phase, and that when he runs AW in his home games, intimacy is handled as a “fade to black” matter. He also agrees with the sentiment that special Moves can be translated into any personal, emotionally revealing moment between characters (sharing a joint over a campfire, having a 1-on-1 talk about a serious situation, etc.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gatto Grigio posted:

Agreed. The developer (Vincent Baker) has even come out saying that making the Moves specifically about sex was mostly a product of designing games in his 2000s edgelord phase, and that when he runs AW in his home games, intimacy is handled as a “fade to black” matter. He also agrees with the sentiment that special Moves can be translated into any personal, emotionally revealing moment between characters (sharing a joint over a campfire, having a 1-on-1 talk about a serious situation, etc.)

Did Baker change the names of the moves in AW 2e? I haven't had an opportunity to look at it yet myself.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Arivia posted:

Did Baker change the names of the moves in AW 2e? I haven't had an opportunity to look at it yet myself.

Not in the core game, but there were a bunch of alternate playbooks created in what’s called AW: Burned Over that do not contain sex Moves and are general aimed at a wider audience.

https://lumpley.games/burnedover/

Lumpley Games posted:

Apocalypse World: Burned Over is a pretty deep redesign of Apocalypse World, suitable for play across wider age groups and more general audiences. No sex moves, a more reigned-in take on violence, less adult horror in the grotesquerie. In many ways, if we were to create Apocalypse World today, Burned Over is the game we’d create.

It’s not yet a stand-alone game (although it may become one in time). It’s a “hackbook”: a zine that includes all the playbooks, playsheets, and rule changes from Apocalypse World proper.

It includes everything the players need to play, but as MC, you’ll still need the Apocalypse World MC book.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 4, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I have found that the transition to Roll20 has made me an obsessive with prep, to the point where I probably spend about three hours every week for each hour we spend playing. Back when I played at a table I was 100% a "just wing it" DM to the point where I did functionally zero prep; if we were running a module I'd maybe skim the module, if I could be bothered. It was arduous at first, this transition to a medium where I had to have maps prepped ahead of time, drawn, populated, lit up. Shortly after I got back into D&D my friend who had pulled me back in asked if I enjoyed prep and I told him "no, but it's worth it". Something changed over time, though, and at this point I actively love it. I don't know what changed me into a prep-lover, but goddamn it's a blessing given how much of it is necessary to actually use Roll20 properly. If I couldn't enjoy it I'd just burn out, I think.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

e;fb smdh

Arivia posted:

They're still called "sex moves" and / or "The [playbook] special" in 2e. They are notably not in "Burned Over", which at least at the time of release was iirc referred to as the game the devs wished they'd made earlier.

The real insight of PbtA as a framework is the very semiotics-y notion that the moves define the game, which is to say that when you implement a mechanical system governing something, you make that something a significant part of what the game is about, because the mechanics provoke the narrative as much or moreso than narrative provokes mechancis. Which is itself a very dialectical observation about / reaction to D&D's unbreakable and sometimes ambivalent ties to its combat sim roots. It's also a big reason that PbtA's genome is as plastic as it is / why there are so many hacks that go in so many novel directions.

It's also a caution to think about what happens when you do things like mechanically simulate the effects of specific kinds of intimacy. Simulation is incentivization. You don't make a toy just so you can not play with it. Just ask the Department of Defense.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 4, 2021

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Gatto Grigio posted:

My favorite take on this idea is from Thirsty Sword Lesbians where each playbook has special questions they must answer when they become Smitten, and the alternative rules have HX moves Ala Apocalypse World that they state needn't be about sex.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Reveilled posted:

I have found that the transition to Roll20 has made me an obsessive with prep, to the point where I probably spend about three hours every week for each hour we spend playing. Back when I played at a table I was 100% a "just wing it" DM to the point where I did functionally zero prep; if we were running a module I'd maybe skim the module, if I could be bothered. It was arduous at first, this transition to a medium where I had to have maps prepped ahead of time, drawn, populated, lit up. Shortly after I got back into D&D my friend who had pulled me back in asked if I enjoyed prep and I told him "no, but it's worth it". Something changed over time, though, and at this point I actively love it. I don't know what changed me into a prep-lover, but goddamn it's a blessing given how much of it is necessary to actually use Roll20 properly. If I couldn't enjoy it I'd just burn out, I think.

Same, absolutely. Maybe not *that* much time, but yeah, prep is a joy. I now frequently find myself falling into a state of flow when prepping, just total creative focus. I still absolutely wing the poo poo out of social stuff and general faffing around, but my combats and exploration are pretty tight these days and it's fun to see them play out. It helps that I had a phase of digging into roll20's mechanics and scripts, so I now have a really robust toolkit that lets me both do fast setup and automate a ton of the grunt work in combat. Setting up dynamic lighting is the one thing that still involves a ton of time-consuming mindless clicking, but I set time aside to do a bunch of those in a row while listening to a podcast/audiobook, so it's not really work.

Plus it's just so much less stressful to actually run something you're well prepared for. When I was a big improviser, I'd often end sessions exhausted mentally from constantly scrambling to pull something out of my rear end. Now that I'm prep-heavy, it feels like I have more energy and focus for narrating, RPing NPCs, making rulings on the unexpected, combat tactics, and all that fun stuff.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

change my name posted:

I still die laughing at this breakdown of the romance stuff in the Jade Regent adventure path; think it was written by a goon here? Compared to this Strixhaven is downright amateur hour :D.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Reveilled posted:

I imagine its probably like a lot of hobbies like making bottle ships, knitting or sand castles there's just a joy found in whittling away at a big creative project. :)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I recently bought the Hex Kit tool and it's definitely a great little creative time-waster.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like the tension pool a lot but when I go and check out the Angry DM's blog for other cool ideas... Is it just me or is his blog just unreadable? It's constantly meandering and never seems to get to the point for several if not dozens of paragraphs. I was reading the Insight page and I couldn't even figure out what the problem he's complaining about even is until like a third of the way through.

Like I'm sure there's a lot of great nuggets of insight (heh), but it's all buried under gish gallop. :(

Is there like a wiki somewhere of like every optional rule or homebrew mechanic so I can shop through them?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like the tension pool a lot but when I go and check out the Angry DM's blog for other cool ideas... Is it just me or is his blog just unreadable? It's constantly meandering and never seems to get to the point for several if not dozens of paragraphs. I was reading the Insight page and I couldn't even figure out what the problem he's complaining about even is until like a third of the way through.

Like I'm sure there's a lot of great nuggets of insight (heh), but it's all buried under gish gallop. :(

Is there like a wiki somewhere of like every optional rule or homebrew mechanic so I can shop through them?

No, he's legit a bad writer with good ideas. He has a 4 part series on boss fights that could honestly be three paragraphs.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah, brevity is the soul of wit and that guy ain't got it.

Good ideas tho

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
He must be very lonely :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How do you resolve picking a day for D&D where whichever day you pick a friend can't play because its mutually exclusive for someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

How do you resolve picking a day for D&D where whichever day you pick a friend can't play because its mutually exclusive for someone?

Dice roll? Like for real, that's going to be the only fair way to decide who doesn't get to play.