Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I know we've all talked about this event before but gently caress...I really don't understand how all those crashes happened. I mean all of them are so spectacularly basic failures of riding, on a clear day with a mild curve you can easily see around on bikes that are slow and have good brakes. Is that literally the first day of riding for literally every single one of those people? How can so many be so bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That's the smell of freedom for ya.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Some of the “your first motorcycle” advice is like “who will you be riding with?” and I watch things like this and think, “No one. Ever. Under any circumstances.”

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

On dry asphalt, my rear wheel lifts long before the front wheel even thinks about locking up.
I can imagine that in corners, it's easier to lock it up because there are also sideways forces at play. I've intentionally tried locking up my front on a straight section of freshly laid (so not yet grippy) asphalt, and in that condition it is pretty easy to do and things go sideways very quickly. Still, you gotta be very deliberate about achieving 100 percent brake force before the weight of the bike has transferred to the front wheel. The lighter the bike, the less inertia and the easier it should be to brake on it.

In any case, my instructor was quite harsh when doing the brake drills. On one terrain, he set us up for doing the brake drills looking out onto the river bank. So if you'd fail really badly, you'd end up in the river. Of course, there was a decent amount of space between the end of the brake drill and the river, so even if you'd just mash only the rear brake in a full on panic, you'd stop in time.
On another terrain, we'd look out onto a plot of unbuild terrain. Both had a pretty effective psychological effect. No one of my group dropped their bike or ended up in the river. I think one overshot into the building lot, but in that case there was not much margin because oh well, you gotta drag your bike out of the sand and that's it.

One of the examinated tests is to brake from 50 to 0km/h in exactly 17m, while shifting down to first, without triggering ABS or heavily modulating brake force. You get about 50cm of leeway in each direction. The other is a full on emergency brake, ABS triggering allowed, no shifting needed but you gotta stop sooner, idk if there are hard distance requirements but somehow i'm thinking of 12m.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 20, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

On dry asphalt, my rear wheel lifts long before the front wheel even thinks about locking up.

On the other hand, on wet asphalt or road paint or leaves or sand or tar snakes, the front wheel locks up far before you can apply enough force to lift the rear. This is why it's so critical to always use both brakes :eng101:

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You eventually learn that no matter what is happening around you or how your lizard brain is panicking, you don't just SLAM on the brakes immediately to 100% force. You roll it on, quickly and firmly, and maybe to 95%.

That's the difference between someone who cant figure out how you could ever lock the front on a Harley, and someone who locks the front on a Harley. The former knows how to actually brake, the latter doesn't.

It's like all the boomers who are deathly afraid of using the front brake. You only think its dangerous because you don't know how to use it and dont understand it

Just wanted to reply to this that my crash on the Harley in Poland was by just grabbing a fistful of the front break in panic :v: Kinda sad I didnt get it on video

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Lol the guy I sold my 2013 Yamaha FZ8 to in 2019 for $3900 just put it up for sale and is asking $5500, this market is stupid

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The new Honda Navi 's pricing is looking really sensible right now...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

They're selling an actual doctor big at Blackfoot in Calgary if anyone's interested.
https://www.blackfootonline.com/pre-owned_productdetail.php?id=8603

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not gonna buy it but I might go down later this week to ogle

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
800 single? Wowsers

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Doctor Big, with degrees in thumpanomics and torquometry

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

I can't make out what caused the front to slam down; doesn't look like he hit the rear brake and I wouldn't expect chopping the throttle from the balance point to be that abrupt.

Regardless, fuckin' lol

Seems like every time I can’t easily figure out what causes a crash, the answer is suspension. Dude drops on the seat, loading the rear suspension and then…

Razzled posted:

might have a handbrake that he accidentally grabbed a fist ful of, kind of hard to see anything tho

Sure looks like this. But maybe the bounce was just too much and he wasn’t ready to come down from the balance point and as he started to come down unprepared he came down more and faster.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Something needs to be done about these people

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It needs more lights imo, stepping all the way down to the wheel.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Is it just me or are both of the wheels completely out of round? The front tire looks like it has two huge flat spots on it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would say it’s a perspective trick, but it’s also a used, modified grom, so anything is possible

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Is it just me or are both of the wheels completely out of round? The front tire looks like it has two huge flat spots on it

There's something really fucky going on with that while front end. The wheel looks dented to poo poo, but also like it was warped with a Photoshop smudge tool, and the forks look curved too. Might be light and shadow weirdness, might actually be bent.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

i have unfortunate first hand knowledge of whats going on in that pic.

bro put his new iphone in a phone holder on the handlebars and destroyed the image stabilizer with vibrations but keeps using the phone cause they’re a broke mf

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

yummycheese posted:

i have unfortunate first hand knowledge of whats going on in that pic.

bro put his new iphone in a phone holder on the handlebars and destroyed the image stabilizer with vibrations but keeps using the phone cause they’re a broke mf

Gee, I wonder what caused him to be a broke mf?
Oh hold up, I know the answer.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Perfection.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I guess that explains the fork tubes but those wheels as posted really do look messed up

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Phone cameras distort images because of lens aperture. There's a reason new flagship phones come equipped with multiple lenses.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

All I can think of when I see those pictures

HaMmOnd yOu IdIoOot! yOu'vE CoMpleTeLy rUiNeD tHe GrOmMmM!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSiHATZPYlo

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This is not a bike I would ever be interested in owning, but it sounds and looks pretty loving sweet and clearly a lot of care and work went into making it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/vancouver/rd-400-daytona-special/1601002645

Bored 2nd wiseco pro pistons
Yamaha HP rods
DG high compression heads
Ported
77 heat treated
Trued welded
Lightened crank
Every seal and bearing replaced including the centre Labyrinth seal
All new HP clutches
HP springs
Intakes opened up to accept larger RZ reed cages
Boysen 2 stage reeds with 10mm spacers
RZ intakes
Micron HP chamber’s from the UK
Engine completely painted, polished and clear coated
Ignition system upgraded from points to condenser
RD Dreams digital processor CDI
Complete RD DREAMS KIT
New wiring harness, coils and charging system
Frame and wheels glass beaded and powder coated
Complete RZ 350 front end conversion with Micron fork brace
Front forks completely reconditioned with new seals, bushings, springs
Brake clippers rebuilt
Braided stainless steel brake lines
Front end installed with ALL BALLS RACING tapered steel roller bearings
Water cooled speedo, and tach assembly with heat gauge
RZ 350 rear wheel with new bearings, seals, brake pads, callipers rebuilt with all new seals
Custom RD 359 LC11 UK edition rear swingers with brand new needle bearings
Foot peg, rear brake and shifter lever relocated using RAASK rear set from Sweden

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a one time owner of an RD350 with the works, they’re extremely fun bikes. Like, there really isn’t much that is more exciting to actually ride, but man are they hard to live with.

The poweband wobbles up and down on the tachometer based on the temperature of the air that the bike currently resides in

The electrics are 70’s Yamaha, which is to say garbage

They are deceptively tiny. I’m 6’3” and I felt like a circus bear on a tricycle. They are designed for Japanese GP riders.

The power though is extremely addicting, and when it all comes together and works as it should, they are like nothing else.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The air cooled rd experience just sucks way too much in relation to the fun factor. It's only when you get to the LC that they become worth having at all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The air cooled rd experience just sucks way too much in relation to the fun factor. It's only when you get to the LC that they become worth having at all.

Before most tracks banned 2-strokes in the naughties you could still see Elsies racing and even occasionally winning in club races. They got grandfathered in to the Juniors class (bike formula, not age range) and with some suspension and chassis mods - and a sufficiently insane rider - they could hold their own against 90s 250 2-strokes and 400 4-strokes, especially at tracks like Cadwell where even the start-finish straight is an off-camber corner.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Before most tracks banned 2-strokes in the naughties you could still see Elsies racing and even occasionally winning in club races. They got grandfathered in to the Juniors class (bike formula, not age range) and with some suspension and chassis mods - and a sufficiently insane rider - they could hold their own against 90s 250 2-strokes and 400 4-strokes, especially at tracks like Cadwell where even the start-finish straight is an off-camber corner.

Yes, and on every single lap of every single race, every single RD rider would traverse every single straight with their hand covering the clutch in preparation for the engine seizing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The electrics are 70’s Yamaha, which is to say garbage
I worked on a 76ish RD125 that the owner had installed the battery backwards on. Everything worked normally. Lights, horn, ignition, even the charging system. Only sign of a problem was the battery tender plug had touched the frame somewhere and melted itself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yes, and on every single lap of every single race, every single RD rider would traverse every single straight with their hand covering the clutch in preparation for the engine seizing.

I'm told by one of those sufficiently insane riders that straights are actually pretty safe for engine detonation - it's corner entrance that's going to kill you, because with premix closed throttle = no oil getting to the engine. Not *normally* a problem for the fairly short amount of time you're braking, but if the engine's going to seize that's the point it's going to do it, and of course that's the most entertaining time for your back wheel to lock up solid.

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
Browsing bikes just for fun and these sure are some pretty pipes.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-1959-matchless-scrambler/7433347340.html

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Cheap ZRXs are proof that god loves us:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

baby Duke sellers are even worse than Grom sellers I swear to god

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

had to look it up and they are 6k MSRP

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

yummycheese posted:

had to look it up and they are 6k MSRP

I can't tell who is dumber the guys paying $4500 or $6k for a scooter with a 5 speed. It's like trying to figure out if a potato is smarter than a rutabega

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So rare that my local dealer has 4 on the floor.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

So rare that my local dealer has 4 on the floor.

As opposed to three on the tree? :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alright, we’re really shifting gears to a different topic here