Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Since we're doing dumb LoL lore questions, I have one about Akali. How do we get the Akali in the Runeterra cinematic 'The Lesson' who throws herself over a child to protect it from a big tree thing's strike to the one in League who talks mostly about how she's a killer and nobody tells her what to do?

It's a combination of youthful arrogance and a partially legitimate gripe. Shen's an adherent of the vaguely Buddhist/Stoic philosophy of "balance" that once guided and united Ionia, and which also made it easy pickings for Noxus during the Ionian Invasion. Growing up in the aftermath of it, with the country riven by civil disorder as far more openly militaristic orders started coming to prominence, made Akali come to the conclusion that the kind of peaceful restraint Shen taught - "turn the other cheek" stuff, it's better to make your enemies see the error of their ways, etc. - was actively harmful to the nation, and that meting out deadly justice on your own terms was the true way of restoring balance.

She's not a bad person, necessarily. She's an edgy anime teen ninja that's willing to kill, but she keeps it restricted to killing people committing legitimate evil, and she's still in harmony with most of the other precepts of the Kinkou. She's supposed to represent a synthesis of the more traditional ways of the Kinkou and the more radical precepts of the Order of Shadows, their overly-violent successors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMania
May 7, 2008
Few takes: the lighting was phenomenal, every scene was lit in a way that was both gorgeous and important to setting/character/plot. Not sure I’ll ever enjoy the sterile Pixar aesthetic again after this masterclass in visual storytelling.

Every main character made decisions I agreed with and ones that I didn’t. I can’t think of a single other piece of media that I can say that about, but then again I just binged it so I’m still reeling.

Fights are quick and brutal, and the winner always takes punishing hits in the process. Women get their clocks cleaned by men, children get murdered on screen, really raw and visceral stuff but it never came across as exploitative.

drat I’m going to be thinking about this show for a long time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MMania posted:

Few takes: the lighting was phenomenal, every scene was lit in a way that was both gorgeous and important to setting/character/plot. Not sure I’ll ever enjoy the sterile Pixar aesthetic again after this masterclass in visual storytelling.

Every main character made decisions I agreed with and ones that I didn’t. I can’t think of a single other piece of media that I can say that about, but then again I just binged it so I’m still reeling.

Fights are quick and brutal, and the winner always takes punishing hits in the process. Women get their clocks cleaned by men, children get murdered on screen, really raw and visceral stuff but it never came across as exploitative.

Yeah that's something I noticed as well. They don't really hold back like the fights Vi gets into with male characters, especially the brutal street fight in the first episode. And Jinx gets punched in the face and hit with a giant metal bat by Ekko before he stops himself. But none of that feels gross where as I feel like other media it would. I think it helps a lot that they go out of their way to not have any real gender discrimination or inequality. That seemed like a very intentional thing they tried to do, similar to how they talked about how sexuality is handled on the show.

Also yeah I watched Encanto on Friday. Now don't get me wrong the movie still looked fantastic, it's a professional Disney animated movie after all. And I think their moves keep looking better and better. But I also couldn't stop thinking about how much better Arcane looked still.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojlEskF5HX0

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vermain posted:

She's not a bad person, necessarily. She's an edgy anime teen ninja that's willing to kill, but she keeps it restricted to killing people committing legitimate evil, and she's still in harmony with most of the other precepts of the Kinkou. She's supposed to represent a synthesis of the more traditional ways of the Kinkou and the more radical precepts of the Order of Shadows, their overly-violent successors.

Since she's apparently one of my old D&D characters I guess I can't hate on her too much. (And she's kind of fun to play.)

This morning YouTube tried to recommend an ASMR video of 'Arcane Jinx Threatening You Sweetly.' The series has finally made it, baby!

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012

MMania posted:

I think that's a good point about why the fights are enjoyable to watch and also explains why, to me, the fight against the Chemtank dudes was a bit lacking in comparison to the others. Animation and music were still stellar, but it felt a bit underwhelming how Jayce and Vi just cleaned up house there. Especially with Jayce who we haven't seen doing any fighting until then. I know that it's supposed to show the power of Hextech weapons, but it just makes the Chemtanks look like absolute chumps and not the fearsome soldiers they were probably supposed to be.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Vulin posted:

I think that's a good point about why the fights are enjoyable to watch and also explains why, to me, the fight against the Chemtank dudes was a bit lacking in comparison to the others. Animation and music were still stellar, but it felt a bit underwhelming how Jayce and Vi just cleaned up house there. Especially with Jayce who we haven't seen doing any fighting until then. I know that it's supposed to show the power of Hextech weapons, but it just makes the Chemtanks look like absolute chumps and not the fearsome soldiers they were probably supposed to be.

I mean, we do see the chemtanks take down a bunch of masked Enforcers easily seconds before. And then the Hextech weapons easily obliterate them, because that's what they do. That's why Jayce can later say he doesn't want to slaughter the Zaunists, if he had barely survived the fight it would be a strange conclusion.

I guess it also sets up the danger of Hextech weapons for the last episode, though as we've discussed that probably won't pay off.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pidan posted:

I mean, we do see the chemtanks take down a bunch of masked Enforcers easily seconds before. And then the Hextech weapons easily obliterate them, because that's what they do. That's why Jayce can later say he doesn't want to slaughter the Zaunists, if he had barely survived the fight it would be a strange conclusion.

I think it's supposed to just show the escalation. Shimmer thugs tear apart Enforcers, but Hextech tears apart Shimmer thugs. And once you've seen how powerful the weapons are, then Jinx has a bomb.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

https://twitter.com/LoLUKN/status/1466828857756078085

MMania
May 7, 2008

Vulin posted:

I could not disagree more, the setup of that scene was certainly "gently caress yeah Hextech weapons are awesome, Jayce was right and Heimerdinger was wrong," but when the music cuts abruptly because Jayce (whose eyes glowed stronger and stronger in the reflected Hextech light as the fight escalated) murders a child our expectations are subverted. They won the fight, smashed the Shimmer tank and arrested the workers, Mission Accomplished! Now all of the children of Zaun will be safe from the evil purple goo as per their stated goals! Let's end this scene with a triumphant depiction of... umm.. a bloody child wracked with pain gasping out his dying breath.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I like all the posts that are like CATVI IS CANNON at this tweet as if the actual show wasn't extremely blatant about it

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Macaluso posted:

I like all the posts that are like CATVI IS CANNON at this tweet as if the actual show wasn't extremely blatant about it

whomst've among us has not pinned their good friend against the wall whilst asking who they want to gently caress

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

MMania posted:

I could not disagree more, the setup of that scene was certainly "gently caress yeah Hextech weapons are awesome, Jayce was right and Heimerdinger was wrong," but when the music cuts abruptly because Jayce (whose eyes glowed stronger and stronger in the reflected Hextech light as the fight escalated) murders a child our expectations are subverted. They won the fight, smashed the Shimmer tank and arrested the workers, Mission Accomplished! Now all of the children of Zaun will be safe from the evil purple goo as per their stated goals! Let's end this scene with a triumphant depiction of... umm.. a bloody child wracked with pain gasping out his dying breath.

I like Jayce's :ohdear: => :sickos: => :gonk: progression in that scene, both by itself and for mirroring the Jinx gunning down Firelights scene in Ep6. I guess the show is taking the very subversive position that reveling in violence = bad.

Macaluso posted:

I don't really get the "tall Cait" hype all the fan artists have going on. She's barely taller than Vi, and she's wearing heels - she just has a narrower silhouette.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Macaluso posted:

It is a running joke among lesbians that no-one can pick up on flirting short of just screaming "YO WANNA gently caress" through a megaphone so I appreciate them pushing this with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

pidan posted:

I don't really get the "tall Cait" hype all the fan artists have going on. She's barely taller than Vi, and she's wearing heels - she just has a narrower silhouette.

https://twitter.com/evan_monteiro/status/1464835034485981186

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also tall girls are hot.

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012

MMania posted:

For me personally my expectations were more subverted by how easily they blasted their way through the Chemtanks rather than the kid getting blasted. The tragedy of the situation also was a bit lost to me as I was taken out by the fact that the kid got blasted, fell down a big chasm, but then Jayce and Vi still made it down just in time to see the child rasp his last breath.

Prior (and later) fights all felt much more grounded to me. It lacks the back-and-forth that might those fights more enjoyable to me and the kid dying was cheapened by having him survive just long enough to make Jayce more sad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/leeloo104/status/1466276710836359170

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You know I was thinking of comparing the characters at the beginning/end of Arcane to the characters in league and wondering what Vi would think of joining the enforcers, but in retrospect, her primary emotional reaction to a Piltovian councilor launching an unauthorized raid with a bunch of enforcers but choosing not to continue them after he kills a child is annoyance that he's choosing to stop, so it'd certainly be surprising but it did do a decent job of showing some sort of bridge to her 'haha police brutality joke' League self.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Someone else in this thread pointed out that cait's lore is about rooting out the corruption in piltover, and I think that'd be a pretty natural progression of the plot in s2 and would give an easy mini-retcon to where vi's just helping her out because girlfriends

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellioning posted:

You know I was thinking of comparing the characters at the beginning/end of Arcane to the characters in league and wondering what Vi would think of joining the enforcers, but in retrospect, her primary emotional reaction to a Piltovian councilor launching an unauthorized raid with a bunch of enforcers but choosing not to continue them after he kills a child is annoyance that he's choosing to stop, so it'd certainly be surprising but it did do a decent job of showing some sort of bridge to her 'haha police brutality joke' League self.

Jinx: Hah if you think I'm crazy you should see my sister

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
She's a rogue cop, but dammit she gets results.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

That KDA video has been in my head for days and won't leave.

drat you for posting it, Jerkface. drat you.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Madurai posted:

If you like the music too, K/DA's EP is legit. Every track is a bop.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

teagone posted:

If you like the music too, K/DA's EP is legit. Every track is a bop.

YES

Madurai posted:

Check out these 2 songs too, they're some of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoWxv2yZXLQ

The music video for this one is insane, i love it, its a "concept video"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkID8_gnTxw

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My interest in K-pop died down in the early 2000s, but K/DA reignited it and led me towards a deep dive into the genre over the past year or so. I've now become a big fan of G-Idle and more recently, Twice — members from both groups are/were contributing artists to K/DA's discography.

Was bummed to see no K/DA at this year's big LOL tournament. Hopefully Fortiche does their next MV for the inevitable comeback :getin:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Thank god I have fucktons of react-content and fan-made stuff to carry me through these 1-2 years until season two drops.
This guy's reaction is pretty much the exact same that I had to the song. Maybe with not as much conductor-hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZQonb43Fs4

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 4, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madurai posted:

That's how I got into Riot stuff to begin with. Tell no one.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Hellioning posted:

When Vi can't shoulder the responsibility for something entirely herself, or if she causes problems for other people she can't fix, she projects blame onto the people who are suffering. I haven't done a close rewatch of this show yet, but her excusing herself of being accessory to murder towards the kid ("he knew what he was signing up for, and also it's nothing compared to what usually goes on, and Silco is the one running this factory anyway, and"... etc.) is majorly indicative of something more than just a drive for vengeance. You can also get a hint of this from the seemingly canon music video for Enemy: Powder makes finger guns at some passing cops, which gets them thrown against a fence and frisked, and segues into Vi having a one-sided shout-fest at Powder which ends with her either being pushed or falling over out of fright. Powder internalizes that criticism, and then shoots it right back out by daydreaming about killing every single cop (with finger guns). She might have been on the path to getting better about this from Vander's influence, but that all ends when she hits Powder hard enough to make her nose bleed.

Vi? Stands for victim blamer.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
For what it's worth, the writer that answers questions said the following: re Vi:

https://mobile.twitter.com/leeloo104/status/1466631151393542149

https://mobile.twitter.com/leeloo104/status/1466238522096902145

https://mobile.twitter.com/leeloo104/status/1465514397292322821

https://mobile.twitter.com/leeloo104/status/1466979252088107008

Also this has nothing to do with Vi but I thought it was cool:

https://mobile.twitter.com/leeloo104/status/1466989354560098304

https://mobile.twitter.com/leeloo104/status/1467283900137279488

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Ormi posted:

When Vi can't shoulder the responsibility for something entirely herself, or if she causes problems for other people she can't fix, she projects blame onto the people who are suffering. I haven't done a close rewatch of this show yet, but her excusing herself of being accessory to murder towards the kid ("he knew what he was signing up for, and also it's nothing compared to what usually goes on, and Silco is the one running this factory anyway, and"... etc.) is majorly indicative of something more than just a drive for vengeance. You can also get a hint of this from the seemingly canon music video for Enemy: Powder makes finger guns at some passing cops, which gets them thrown against a fence and frisked, and segues into Vi having a one-sided shout-fest at Powder which ends with her either being pushed or falling over out of fright. Powder internalizes that criticism, and then shoots it right back out by daydreaming about killing every single cop (with finger guns). She might have been on the path to getting better about this from Vander's influence, but that all ends when she hits Powder hard enough to make her nose bleed.

Vi? Stands for victim blamer.

:dogstare:

Wowzers

Unrelated to that hot take, this show rules, animation top notch but also incredibly well written and edited. Really an elevation of the medium.

A very important factor remains to be determined however. From Heimerdingers statements, it can be infered the nation of his provenance was destroyed by magic run amok from abuse.

Is riot gonna make a story where the magic fairy city full of adorable little troll dolls and gremlins blew itself up with magic, and tacitly explain why yordles canonically show up literally everywhere in runeterra, because they all had to exodus from their enchanted glade?

Because I am on board for the gremlin apocalypse

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 5, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Certainly Vi's apparent callousness was a bit off-putting to me, too. I didn't notice her looking upset. WELP GUESS I GOTTA WATCH AGAIN.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I just rewatched the scene and Vi does go over to look at the kid after Jayce leaves. Fortiche did another amazing facial animation job in giving her a lot of conflicting emotions in a few seconds before she goes over to smash the Shimmer tank. Stenfield also did an excellent job escalating Vi's voice from grasping at something to say to becoming more confident as she winds up for the almost-fight with Jayce. In the whole scene, Vi's emotional state is very much connected to whether or not she can punch the problem.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

1stGear posted:

In the whole scene, Vi's emotional state is very much connected to whether or not she can punch the problem.

And not just that scene. Its really noticeable on a rewatch how, well, violent Vi really is. Her solution to any situation or challenge is to punch it, and she clearly relishes a fight even if she is not murderous by nature. Like in the scene where she and Cait are running away from Silco she is immediately ready to throw down with a random dude who she ran into, only for Cait to pull her away. Without Vander/Cait as a moderating impulse she has a lot in common with Jinx. Which isn't surprising when Powder idolised her sister (I love the bit from the mv where Powder tries and fails to mimic Vi's shadow boxing) and internalised angry, teenage Vi as her ideal of strength and competency. Only difference is Jinx had Silco pushing her on while Vi had Vander pulling her back.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Integer posted:

And not just that scene. Its really noticeable on a rewatch how, well, violent Vi really is. Her solution to any situation or challenge is to punch it, and she clearly relishes a fight even if she is not murderous by nature. Like in the scene where she and Cait are running away from Silco she is immediately ready to throw down with a random dude who she ran into, only for Cait to pull her away. Without Vander/Cait as a moderating impulse she has a lot in common with Jinx. Which isn't surprising when Powder idolised her sister (I love the bit from the mv where Powder tries and fails to mimic Vi's shadow boxing) and internalised angry, teenage Vi as her ideal of strength and competency. Only difference is Jinx had Silco pushing her on while Vi had Vander pulling her back.

There's some great animation detail of Powder trying to mimic Vi and doing it wrong, like dropping her shoulder and related. And then Ekko doing it, you know, even worse.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sans Undertale, the next member of K/DA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wan2REH1x9g

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Random Integer posted:

Vi stands for Violence.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jinx? Stands for Jinx, duh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Smile! It's called gunPLAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
That MV is awesome, but they really should have found a way to put the important bits in the show.

It gives a lot of context about the relationship between Ekko and Jinx, Wich makes ep 7 hit much harder.