Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Bitcoin: A licence to print monkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
good lord what a tank, what happened? nothing?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

the last signal... posted:

Number go down?

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Crypto isn’t some underground secret anymore, Musk on SNL hawking meme coins was 6 months ago, crypto ads blasted during the World Series, a whole drat country adopted bitcoin as currency, all of this poo poo seems like wringing the last drips of precious speculative profit from the rubes.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
seriously though how does this happen so lockstep?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

down n out posted:

Crypto isn’t some underground secret anymore, Musk on SNL hawking meme coins was 6 months ago, crypto ads blasted during the World Series, a whole drat country adopted bitcoin as currency, all of this poo poo seems like wringing the last drips of precious speculative profit from the rubes.

There’s just so Goddamn many rubes…this must be what the guy who figured out Madoff was crooked twenty years before he blew up felt like.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Because ultimately it’s all based on Tether’s fake billions, sorry, I mean completely legitimate billions that they 100% have. No, really. It’s all there, commercial paper, real audit and everything!

No, really! Completely legitimate!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Aside from speculating on particular coins to become prominent, people conceptualize “crypto” as an asset class, and mentally simplify things as being good or bad for “crypto” generally. So seeing one token go down can register as “crypto dropping!” and they sell whatever they’re holding.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

down n out posted:

I ordered takeout Chinese food last weekend and the little slip in the fortune cookie had a fortune and lucky numbers on one side and an ad for crypto on the other.

:negative:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

This is good for Bitcoin and all cryptos, and El Salvador, you FUD'ster. You'll see!!!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

tether's quarterly report came out around 6-7AM EST friday morning. about 12-1PM EST friday bitcoin dipped but was quickly brought back up.. and now for some reason within the past 3 hours there was just a huge sell off. i'm guessing because it was after midnight EST so its less suspicious? it can't be that stupidly dumb right?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Strong Sauce posted:

It can't be that stupidly dumb right?

What does your heart tell you?

But in all seriousness, number go down. :agesilaus:

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Where da faak is salt shakeup? He promised me sick gainz by Christmas.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

CaptainCrunch posted:

I ordered takeout Chinese food last weekend and the little slip in the fortune cookie had a fortune and lucky numbers on one side and an ad for crypto on the other.

:negative:

lol

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

I'm Internet Computer. and I'm .com as gently caress

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

crypto.com crash

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

jokes posted:

Americans spell things correctly but British people usually have better linguistic style.

License > licence. Armor > armour.

With exception, of course. Adding (or preserving) an -e before suffixes as in acknowledgment (American) versus acknowledgement (English) reads better in my opinion.

British people are loving dumb and gross for adding an -l when writing words like cancellation (English) versus the superior cancelation. Cancel + ation. Where’s that -l come from you limey idiots?

Conversely y’all TAKE away the -l in words that should have a double -ll. Enroll (American) versus Enrol (English).

I do like the fancy -ogue as in dialogue (English) versus dialog (American) though.

In short we’re both loving stupid.

Nonsense. Actual English spelling helps direct people to word origins - which are many - and to similar meanings. My favourite example is defence - the spelling lets you know it’s from French and therefore how to pronounce it, and it is spelled the same as fence, which is where the root comes from, and shares common meaning. Americans spell it defense and yet still spell fence fence. They’re just bored children shuffling around artefacts at an archeological dig to make it “look cooler and like, more science”, not from any natural evolution of the language but a deliberate case of terrible top-down social engineering by Webster and a few others in an impressive act of obstinate self-sabotage to own the Brits. Fortunately almost everything else about America it’s a hell of their own making reserved only for them.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

The Invisible Hand of the Free Market a/k/a all 12 people that actually run the wash trading bots

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

Nonsense. Actual English spelling helps direct people to word origins - which are many - and to similar meanings. My favourite example is defence - the spelling lets you know it’s from French and therefore how to pronounce it, and it is spelled the same as fence, which is where the root comes from, and shares common meaning. Americans spell it defense and yet still spell fence fence. They’re just bored children shuffling around artefacts at an archeological dig to make it “look cooler and like, more science”, not from any natural evolution of the language but a deliberate case of terrible top-down social engineering by Webster and a few others in an impressive act of obstinate self-sabotage to own the Brits. Fortunately almost everything else about America it’s a hell of their own making reserved only for them.

Defence is spelled defense in french and also pronounced differently.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Good chance to buy the dip, so I assume Coinbase went offline for three hours or something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

chaosbreather posted:

Anglonormative swine.

Defense comes from “defens” or “defense” which is old French and even further back “defensus” and even further back “defendere” both of which is Latin. Middle English language stole it and couldn’t even steal it right, shoving a C in there and pretending it works just as they did the word “dunce” which is oddly prescient considering the circumstances.

The word “defendere” in Latin, root of defensus, means to “ward off or protect” and uses “de-“ meaning “away” and “fendere” which means “to strike, push”. Fendere would go on to be the root of words like “fend” as in “fend off the Saxons unsuccessfully” and also the word/sport of “fencing” which also has a C for some stupid English reason.

Americans tried to right a bunch of your wrongs within the English language but we’re not perfect.

jokes fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 4, 2021

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

chaosbreather posted:

jokes posted:

Anglonormative swine.

Defense comes from “defens” or “defense” which is old French and even further back “defensus” which is Latin. Middle English language stole it and couldn’t even steal it right, shoving a C in there and pretending it works just as they did the word “dunce” which is oddly prescient considering the circumstances.

Americans tried to right a bunch of your wrongs within the English language but we’re not perfect.

Sirs this is a Frankie & Benny's

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If someone say french people type defense vs defence and your gut instinct is to write 5 paragraphs about it you need to reflect on why that is.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

anyway how 'bout them blockchains

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Salt Fish posted:

If someone say french people type defense vs defence and your gut instinct is to write 5 paragraphs about it you need to reflect on why that is.

Because I’m a horrible moron and I feel really emboldened when bitcoin people lose money

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

coelomate posted:

anyway how 'bout them blockchains

rollercoaster mode and i'm diggin' it

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I'm going to mint my own englishcoin and there will only be 50 million of them in existence but I will pre/test mine 49 million of them before releasing it and suckering in a 30-year old C# coding libertarian(this is an oxymoron I know) and thus immediately gain 600,000 doll hairs to pay off my mortgage and my three cars instantly

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

EorayMel posted:

I'm going to mint my own englishcoin and there will only be 50 million of them in existence but I will pre/test mine 49 million of them before releasing it and suckering in a 30-year old C# coding libertarian(this is an oxymoron I know) and thus immediately gain 600,000 doll hairs to pay off my mortgage and my three cars instantly

Britcoin

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Why is everyone here talking about chess openings?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shoutout to twitter jack for shoving spaces in at the last minute, so the app now has a literal front and center button for listening to crypto poo poo whenever you want

seriously like 90% of the featured spaces are about crypto

the other 10% is inscrutable indian politics

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

repiv posted:

the other 10% is inscrutable indian politics

Let me make it scrutable: they probably want to get rid of the Muslims.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

The actual tech folks I know say that the leverage on the exchanges went stupidly high, which I also observed at sites like https://coinalyze.net/bitcoin/funding-rate/. Like people started leveraging so hard they obviously got liquidated -> crypto tanks. What none of that sadly answers is the why people would do that part all of a sudden yesterday. Usually something happens to coincide, but not so this time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

jokes posted:

Britcoin

Put a british drag queen on it.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
If I were to apply actual investing theory to bitcoin, I would say its chief attraction to the :tinfoil: crowd is that it is anti-inflationary in the sense that bitcoins have to be mined at tremendous cost of carbon instead of just being created by the Federal Reserve's magic wand (apart from Tether, that is). Now that the real Federal Reserve might be forced to take inflation seriously some of that proposition might be unwinding itself.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Hobologist posted:

I would say its chief attraction to the :tinfoil: crowd is that it is anti-inflationary in the sense that bitcoins have to be mined at tremendous cost of carbon

The thing is they don't have to be mined at such a tremendous cost - the bitcoin network could easily run on a single old laptop and the same number of bitcoins would be generated, the same number of transactions processed, etc. No matter how many miners you have, only a single one will generate a valid block and the rest of the miners will throw away all of the work they did and start trying to find the next block. Something like 99.99999% of energy expended mining has literally zero impact on the functionality of the blockchain.

Its by design, and its that stupid.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
The only way we could create artificial scarcity was by burning coal mines IRL, sorry

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tehinternet posted:

The only way we could create artificial scarcity was by burning coal mines IRL, sorry
We also had to use the first rickety-rear end beta version of the idea, not any of the ones that were improved to be 'still very wasteful but somewhat less mind-bogglingly so'.

Or at least my understanding is that other than Chia, all the other buttcoins are less absolutely demanding of hardware and power, even if anything over a small server rack or something is becoming absurd waste.

e: to be clear this is not a defense of other buttcoins, but rather a specific condemnation of the original, and of coiners

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

We also had to use the first rickety-rear end beta version of the idea, not any of the ones that were improved to be 'still very wasteful but somewhat less mind-bogglingly so'.

Or at least my understanding is that other than Chia, all the other buttcoins are less absolutely demanding of hardware and power, even if anything over a small server rack or something is becoming absurd waste.

e: to be clear this is not a defense of other buttcoins, but rather a specific condemnation of the original, and of coiners

Other coins are only less energy demanding because they are less valuable. The market responds to price, so, if you can turn $1 of electricity into $2 of shitcoins, someone somewhere will do it. Proof of work is really just proof of (energy) waste - efficiency is entirely irrelevant. For example, if you improved your mining software to be able to do twice as much work per kWh, that doesn't actually mean energy use would go down, it just means more useless work will be done for the same amount of energy use.

The above only applies to proof of work coins, but there are still a lot of them (Etherium, Litecoin, Dogecoin, etc).

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

jokes posted:

Anglonormative swine.

You say aglonormative swine but I hear no-coiner right clicker.

A system that is in common use around the world by a massive amount of people and cultures for hundreds of years, and a couple of nerds think they can improve upon it by badly half-reinventing wheels they barely understand in the name of “progress” and “independence” for use by a brain dead money hungry scam dystopia. That’s Bitcoin. That’s American English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nessus posted:

They're less demanding because fewer people use them, so the mining difficulty is lower.

The thing is that wasting a bunch of power is intentional. It's not some beta version fuckup or a technical mistake. It's how cryptocurrencies protect against 51% attacks: they require a massive investment of resources in order to mine, in hopes that no single actor will be able to afford the cost of controlling 51% of miners. Those resources aren't actually used in the mining process, they're just a wealth check to limit how many miners a single person can run.