Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

AHH F/UGH posted:

If you told him that, China would probably tell YOU that.

Yeah, and when I first arrived in China in the fall of 2013 and lived there through early 2017 (with one six-month break), I was a bit cockier and looser when it came to expressing myself (within reason, of course). However, when my girlfriend and I went back for a year in 2018-19, the atmosphere felt very different and totally stifling. I kept hearing all these scary stories from foreigners out of Zhuhai, where I had lived during my first China run, was super nervous about slipping up in some way and couldn't wait to get out. Even though I had no palpable reason to be afraid, I breathed a huge sigh of relief when we crossed the border into Hong Kong for the last time.

Edit: That said, I still miss the poo poo out of certain aspects of China and East Asia, in general. Hope I get to go back, someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

AHH F/UGH posted:

Exactly what we have here, and the staff are all barely English speaking Chinese immigrants and the menu is in Chinese first… but when I order the kung pao chicken it’s like 90% just fried batter bits soaked in oil and 10% crap chicken

Dang.

I live in southern california, so it might be the consolidated market from a bunch of universities and lots of immigrants.

You're right that it can be very hit or miss though. A lot of real good places around me will get bad reviews because people will leave bad reviews for too spicy food or bad customer service.

So you kind of just have to try for yourself.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SerCypher posted:

bad reviews for bad customer service.

When I'm scouting a new place to try this is something I look for. If there's a bunch of Americans bitching about rude/dismissive/inattentive customer service then the chances of it being legit are better.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Chicago Chinatown (near a few unis with a ton of Chinese students) has the best array of legit authentic Chinese food restaurants that I've found anywhere. The Sichuan restaurants are particularly fantastic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rental Sting posted:

Chicago Chinatown (near a few unis with a ton of Chinese students) has the best array of legit authentic Chinese food restaurants that I've found anywhere. The Sichuan restaurants are particularly fantastic.

Where do you like? I stayed in Chicago Chinatown and was unimpressed with most of the food. Qing Xiang Yuan dumplings was good, that was about it.

I only went to one Sichuan place because it was so bad I couldn't bring myself to try another.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

When I'm scouting a new place to try this is something I look for. If there's a bunch of Americans bitching about rude/dismissive/inattentive customer service then the chances of it being legit are better.

:hmmyes:

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Where do you like? I stayed in Chicago Chinatown and was unimpressed with most of the food. Qing Xiang Yuan dumplings was good, that was about it.

I only went to one Sichuan place because it was so bad I couldn't bring myself to try another.

Yeah, Qing Xiang Yuan is rad.

I think Chengdu Impression and Szechwan JMC are both great. Lao Sze Chuan, not so much. That's the one all the white people go to so the food is highly compromised. However, I never actually lived in Chengdu as you did so I probably have different expectations. The same restauranteur that owns that one opened a Hunan restaurant called Lao Hunan like ten years ago but there were a bunch of portraits of Mao on the walls and people got pissed so it got shut down, lol.

Additionally, Argyle St. on the northside is a mecca for SE Asian food.

EDIT: Chinese Cafe on Wentworth has a really solid HK cha chaan teng/dim sum vibe and is open all hours of the night.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 3, 2021

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The more "rude" the old aunties pushing the dim sum carts around the better the food, always.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rental Sting posted:

I think Chengdu Impression and Szechwan JMC are both great. Lao Sze Chuan, not so much. That's the one all the white people go to so the food is highly compromised. However, I never actually lived in Chengdu as you did so I probably have different expectations. The same restauranteur that owns that one opened a Hunan restaurant called Lao Hunan like ten years ago but there were a bunch of portraits of Mao on the walls and people got pissed so it got shut down, lol.

Chengdu Impression is the one that was so bad it scared me off. Next time I go I have some recommendations from former Chengdu residents to check out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have maybe a dozen online acquittances that have lived and worked in China for a long time, at least since the mid 2000's. Most of them are just the typical low level english teacher situation. All of them really enjoyed living in China, would always talk about how yeah it's a disorganized mess and the government is garbage but there was something endearing about the mad circus of life there.

Every single one of them has finally left. Most just cite the "vibe" in China becoming really scary over the last decade. They all desperately miss China and some are struggling to adapt to life and developing new careers, but they absolutely had to get out as they were all beginning to feel quite unsafe.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Baronjutter posted:

The more "rude" the old aunties pushing the dim sum carts around the better the food, always.

As a counterpoint to this:

In Fuzhou, the old ladies that would sell me baozhe from a cart were always spectacularly kind and friendly to me. They were also baffled each and every time I came back that I had not become fluent in Mandarin in the week or so since I last saw them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's not that people aren't kind and friendly, it's that the expectations of what "service" entails are so different. In China the server comes when you sit down to take your order, brings the food, and otherwise fucks off unless you shout for them. In the US that's considered rude and people (for some loving reason I cannot comprehend) want the server to fake smile and come over every 45 seconds interrupting your meal to "check in" and poo poo. At a restaurant that's Chinese staffed and catering to a mostly Chinese audience, they aren't going to do that poo poo and then they get negative reviews for bad service.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think the happy medium is the korean way of just havin a lil button

also saw it a bit in t1 city prc and taiwan

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Every single one of them has finally left. Most just cite the "vibe" in China becoming really scary over the last decade. They all desperately miss China and some are struggling to adapt to life and developing new careers, but they absolutely had to get out as they were all beginning to feel quite unsafe.

The "vibe" certainly has changed, but surveillance state/authoritarian moves aside, a lot of the change seems to stem from the country becoming more organized, developed, and less of a "mad circus" playground for boozed-up laowais. Also, I think it's pretty healthy for people to age out of that poo poo eventually, anyway.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rental Sting posted:

The "vibe" certainly has changed, but surveillance state/authoritarian moves aside, a lot of the change seems to stem from the country becoming more organized, developed, and less of a "mad circus" playground for boozed-up laowais. Also, I think it's pretty healthy for people to age out of that poo poo eventually, anyway.

Yep, I think that was a big part of it too. These were mostly western nerds who probably couldn't cut it at a regular job in the UK or Australia or the US or whatever. They loved the "expat lifestyle" of lowish pay but even lower cost of living letting them stay a boozed up 20-something well into their 30's.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

They loved the "expat lifestyle" of lowish pay but even lower cost of living letting them stay a boozed up 20-something well into their 30's.

Who wouldn't???

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

This thread inspired me to order 3 different types of Tim Tams and wagon wheels from an Australian gift basket shop.

The Wagon Wheels may disappoint, but the Tim Tams are an absolute treat. Plain ones are perfect but most of the other types are great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8hEo4N8Nhs

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I find Tim Tams to be rather bland

Come at me, continent of Australia ya dumb fackin cants

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm going to make like four meals worth of gongbao jiding later and that'll cost me maybe $10 of ingredients.

Good poo poo, OP

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Grand Fromage posted:

The big news scandal when I was in Chengdu was when some rabbit restaurants were found to actually be serving cat. Happy I'm not a big rabbit fan anyway, and Fleta is a boneologist and assured me she would be able to tell if it was a rabbit or a cat if we did order it.

My experience with rabbit has always felt a little sketchy. You order meat in China and, honestly, in my experience it's been fine (seems that way, at least. I've only ever gotten food poisoning here once and it was from mcdonalds. I ended up in the hospital it was wild.) but every time I've gotten rabbit there's always something about it that's off and feels unclean.

Like you're eating a rabbit head and as you're picking at it you see there's still little bits of green in its teeth and you think, drat, that should have probably been cleaned out right?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nah man, that's how you know it's nice and fresh

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I've found pretty good Sichuanese is unexpected places around the world, but it seems like Sichuan peppercorn (hua jiao) just doesn't travel well at all, no matter how recently it was shipped, how it was vacuum-sealed, etc. Some places I've been outside Sichuan have better ingredients and great cooking otherwise, but the numbing sensation and citrus-like flavor of the peppercorn is mediocre at best. Meanwhile in Sichuan nearly every single dish has hua jiao that zings, and on occasion you accidentally get a glob that seems to make your whole body tingle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Smeef posted:

I've found pretty good Sichuanese is unexpected places around the world, but it seems like Sichuan peppercorn (hua jiao) just doesn't travel well at all, no matter how recently it was shipped, how it was vacuum-sealed, etc. Some places I've been outside Sichuan have better ingredients and great cooking otherwise, but the numbing sensation and citrus-like flavor of the peppercorn is mediocre at best. Meanwhile in Sichuan nearly every single dish has hua jiao that zings, and on occasion you accidentally get a glob that seems to make your whole body tingle.

Nah, you just got to get the good stuff. The bags at Chinese groceries are old and sad. If you're in the US, Mala Market, Flybyjing, and 50hertz all sell good huajiao. 50hertz has fresh harvest right now (their green Sichuan pepper oil is also fantastic) and the others should get it soon. Flybyjing's fresh harvest tribute pepper is as fragrant and zippy as anything I ever ate in Chengdu. I'm not a fan of any of their prepared sauces/spice mixes, but the raw ingredients are fantastic. That 10 year vinegar is magical.

Also some places treat huajiao by radiation or heat because it can carry citrus blights. The US doesn't do that anymore, but when you get pepper that was processed like that it saps the flavor.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah, you just got to get the good stuff. The bags at Chinese groceries are old and sad. If you're in the US, Mala Market, Flybyjing, and 50hertz all sell good huajiao. 50hertz has fresh harvest right now (their green Sichuan pepper oil is also fantastic) and the others should get it soon. Flybyjing's fresh harvest tribute pepper is as fragrant and zippy as anything I ever ate in Chengdu. I'm not a fan of any of their prepared sauces/spice mixes, but the raw ingredients are fantastic. That 10 year vinegar is magical.

Also some places treat huajiao by radiation or heat because it can carry citrus blights. The US doesn't do that anymore, but when you get pepper that was processed like that it saps the flavor.

I'm in HK and in normal times am in mainland half the time. I never cook anything more complicated than an egg sando, so I didn't even know there are huajiao brands. I just go test the restaurants wherever I travel based on the recommendations of my Chinese gourmand friends. I feel like even around the rest of China the huajiao isn't as potent as it is within Sichuan. I always have to ask for them to overload it.

The other issue I have is that places think Sichuanese food must be spicy therefore load the gently caress up on the spiciness. While that seems to be true for Chongqing, I've just never had anything terribly spicy in Chengdu.

Smeef fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 4, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Smeef posted:

I'm in HK and in normal times am in mainland half the time. I never cook anything more complicated than an egg sando, so I didn't even know there are huajiao brands. I just go test the restaurants wherever I travel based on the recommendations of my Chinese gourmand friends. I feel like even around the rest of China the huajiao isn't as potent as it is within Sichuan. I always have to ask for them to overload it.

The other issue I have is that places think Sichuanese food must be spicy therefore load the gently caress up on the spiciness. While that seems to be true for Chongqing, I've just never had anything terribly spicy in Chengdu.

oh lol. Yeah, I think the problem is just the rest of China doesn't handle The Buzz and lowballs it. I agree on the spicy too, Sichuan food really isn't that lot but it has a reputation. Chongqing is more peppery. A fellow goon had a landlord who was a Sichuan chef and loved to complain about how kids these days don't know poo poo about cooking and just load their food with huajiao and lajiao and call it Sichuan.

If you want real rear end-burning food Hunan and Guizhou are right there, eat those.

E: Like I think part of the huajiao difference is that you develop a tolerance. When I first moved to Chengdu my mouth was buzzing all the time, but after a few years I literally would have to just eat handfuls of it straight from a bag to get much. So when you're eating food there it has a whole lot of huajiao in it because everyone's got a tolerance. Other places don't have that so they throw in five and it's sufficiently buzzy for the uninitiated.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 4, 2021

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah it's fine. Stuff like gutter oil really isn't that common, it just makes a lot of news for obvious reasons. The big news scandal when I was in Chengdu was when some rabbit restaurants were found to actually be serving cat. Happy I'm not a big rabbit fan anyway, and Fleta is a boneologist and assured me she would be able to tell if it was a rabbit or a cat if we did order it.

It also is important to not think about food safety too much. The food in China is usually so good it's easy to not worry about the details.

That's why you've got to eat the heads, so you can be sure no one's pulling a fast one. It may be NMS to post a picture of it, but the stacks of skulls at the rabbit head stalls near where I was in Shuangliu were seriously impressive.

I was told that a common scam was in shaokao, where the lamb starts real and then becomes rat (or whatever else is cheaper than lamb) once you're drunk enough you can't tell the difference. I only did shaokao at carts where I was choosing my own skewers though, so I never cared. drat, now I really miss shaokao in Sichuan.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrainDance posted:

My experience with rabbit has always felt a little sketchy. You order meat in China and, honestly, in my experience it's been fine (seems that way, at least. I've only ever gotten food poisoning here once and it was from mcdonalds. I ended up in the hospital it was wild.) but every time I've gotten rabbit there's always something about it that's off and feels unclean.

Like you're eating a rabbit head and as you're picking at it you see there's still little bits of green in its teeth and you think, drat, that should have probably been cleaned out right?

Still not used to buying a whole chicken here and then the head will just flop out. Please cut that off for me and send it elsewhere, I barely like having the shrimp heads.

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

oh lol. Yeah, I think the problem is just the rest of China doesn't handle The Buzz and lowballs it. I agree on the spicy too, Sichuan food really isn't that lot but it has a reputation. Chongqing is more peppery. A fellow goon had a landlord who was a Sichuan chef and loved to complain about how kids these days don't know poo poo about cooking and just load their food with huajiao and lajiao and call it Sichuan.

If you want real rear end-burning food Hunan and Guizhou are right there, eat those.

E: Like I think part of the huajiao difference is that you develop a tolerance. When I first moved to Chengdu my mouth was buzzing all the time, but after a few years I literally would have to just eat handfuls of it straight from a bag to get much. So when you're eating food there it has a whole lot of huajiao in it because everyone's got a tolerance. Other places don't have that so they throw in five and it's sufficiently buzzy for the uninitiated.

I think Chongqing goes heavier on the LA of the mala, to the point of being uncomfortable. Guizhou was the most underrated IMO, I really liked the sour-spicy funk that they do instead.

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Rental Sting posted:

I was there 2008-2010 and then 2019-2021 and it did feel like people were more guarded around foreigners in general now. But all the COVID restrictions have accelerated that, since it's the dirty foreigners infecting everyone (never mind that the vast majority of imported cases were from Chinese nationals returning).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cadmiel posted:

I think Chongqing goes heavier on the LA of the mala, to the point of being uncomfortable. Guizhou was the most underrated IMO, I really liked the sour-spicy funk that they do instead.

Guizhou food is loving amazing and it's a crime that the popularity of laoganma hasn't also driven Guizhou food more generally to become more widespread.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

ninjoatse.cx posted:

This thread inspired me to order 3 different types of Tim Tams and wagon wheels from an Australian gift basket shop.

The caramel ones are excellent when you put them in the fridge

Do not let anyone convince you the tim tam slam is something Australians do, as it was invented by the marketing wing of the American company that bought Arnotts to drive up sales.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I find them a bit wierd and almost waxy since they started using stuff like oils to make chocolate softer.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Lmao but also :hmmyes: at the thought of OP hammering straight fistfuls of huajiao to chase the high like some sort of demented addict

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Re: sobering atmosphere for foreigners here, it's a triple thing (at least):

- Things are becoming more organised and rigorous, which means less space for perma-drunk randos.

- The recent huge upheavals in education have made it literally impossible for many expats to remain, regardless of preference.

- Stuff has indeed become a lot more locked-down, restrictive, repressive, etc. If someone is fully mobile, there are better places to be right now.

Different people are going to be hit by those 3 things in a different order of importance, but the overall effect is clear. And while people can argue endlessly, it seems fairly clear that the first is generally good, the second is too soon to tell, and the third sucks for everyone, Chinese and foreigner alike.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Porfiriato posted:

Lmao but also :hmmyes: at the thought of OP hammering straight fistfuls of huajiao to chase the high like some sort of demented addict

I wouldn't consider myself demented, but...

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

What were the recent upheavals in education that affect foreigners?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Good poo poo, OP

:awesome: this gave me a boner

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'll fuckin' have my pet cassowary disembowel you mate.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

a primate posted:

What were the recent upheavals in education that affect foreigners?

Complex, but basically the for-profit education sector was immediately cut in half, and another half of that remainder put on notice that they'll be gone in a few years.

Decent aims, unsympathetic targets, but imo poor execution. Others will say differently, of course.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grand Fromage posted:

Good poo poo, OP

Got a good recipe for this because I kinda want it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Got a good recipe for this because I kinda want it now

Dunlop's Food of Sichuan recipes are all good if you want a bunch. Here's the gongbao:

300 g chicken breast, cut into small cubes. You may think hey I want to use thigh, and you can, but most of the places I ate in Chengdu used breast and I think it works better. You can also sub pork loin here and make it gongbao rouding, or shrimp or whatever. Don't have to be super precise about weights, you just want the ratio of stuff to sauce to be roughly correct.

Marinate for 30 minutes mixed with:
1.5 tbsp cold water
.5 tsp salt
2 tsp light soy
1 tsp Shaoxing wine
1.5 tbsp potato starch

Seasonings. I put these in little prep bowls so I can dump them into the wok in sequence.

Bowl 1:
However much Sichuan pepper you want
However much dried chaotianjiao and erjingtiao you want

Bowl 2:
3 garlic cloves, sliced
Equal amount of ginger, sliced
Whites of five green onions, chunked roughly similar size to the chicken

Bowl 3:
75 grams peanuts, cashews, or mixed 50/50 is what I do

Sauce:
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp potato starch
3/4 tsp dark soy
1 tsp light soy
2 tbsp black vinegar, or Baoning, or mixed, whatever
1.5 tbsp chicken stock, just some water with powder is fine
1 tsp sesame oil
MSG

Heat the wok to about 200 c, add a good glug of caiziyou, swirl the oil around. Add bowl 1, stir fry until fragrant. Add bowl 2, stir fry until fragrant. Add the chicken, stir fry until just barely cooked. Add the nuts, stir fry a bit and mix. Add the sauce, mix and toss until it's bubbling and fully thickened, done.