Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
wow wtf gaming in bed owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Their employees are actually paid more and work less hours per week than most Japanese or American gaming companies. Average salary is $80000, and average work day is 7 hrs 45 minutes. Most Japanese companies are 50-60 hours a week. Average length of employment is 13.5 years. If you are a lovely place to work you do not have that kind of retention. They have diversified their workforce a lot in the last couple decades, the article is talking specifically about percentage of managers specifically in the Japanese branch, which is a lot lower than it should be... a fact they disclosed themselves earlier this week after their own study, saying they want to increase this number.

Other parts like NoA or NoE are closer to 25~30%.

Yeah, it's amusing hearing about other major company working conditions, Nintendo is amongst the very best, which is saying something about the industry.

That said, I wonder if their reasonable working hours are part of the reason why their games tend to rarely release during non-holiday seasons, as in they can't do work crunch's so games can't meet a strict holiday season deadline.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah, it's amusing hearing about other major company working conditions, Nintendo is amongst the very best, which is saying something about the industry.

That said, I wonder if their reasonable working hours are part of the reason why their games tend to rarely release during non-holiday seasons, as in they can't do work crunch's so games can't meet a strict holiday season deadline.

Crunch is a net negative on development.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo actively tries to make sure crunch is not happening at their studios. They've even removed crunch culture from studios they bought, like Retro

Metroid Prime Developer posted:

I had two times where I was there 48 hours straight with one hour of sleep, and then a couple of 36 hour days, for the last nine months we were there pretty much 24/7...

At the end of that time everyone was ready to quit, we were like "we're done". I had two job offers from two different companies, and to their credit Nintendo realised what was going on and took over the company, bought it out. They put Michael Kelbaugh in charge. He's a sweetheart, real good, he was head of Nintendo's QA department. He said "guys, give me a few weeks to turn it around. And he did".

... He restored faith in leadership and in the company. I loved working for Nintendo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Alternatively stop wasting your life playing games that you don't enjoy

I barely finish games anymore. If I like them I play more. If I like them and don’t want to keep playing I stop. Feels good!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also means when a game really grabs me and I wanna keep playing it’s a great memorable feeling

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rutibex posted:

You should play RE Zero. You can get it on the switch and its classic-style.

*Kramers into thread a few pages late*

"Hey, buddy, this game? It STINKS!" *kicks it across Jerry's floor*

Seriously, don't bother with Zero unless you love the original style of RE so much that you need more, AFTER playing through 1, 2, and 3.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rahu posted:

If I have a physical version of a game and I buy that same game in the eShop, would I still be able to use my old save files in the downloaded version?
Usually, yes, releases are the same digitally and physically and so share the same home screen icon and save file.

Occasionally there are exceptions where the physical version is technically a different title, and so has a separate home screen icon and save file. This happens most frequently with "DLC included" versions since there's no other way to put DLC on a cartridge. Example: Cadence of Hyrule.

Rahu posted:

Bonus points if you know the answer for games in different regions because I live in the US ended up with a european copy of mario kart somehow.
Again, usually, most games are world-wide releases and so are actually identical across regions--including the cartridges (for physical versions) except for the cartridge label. This means you can purchase DLC in different eShop regions and the saves are all compatible. This is the case with MK8D.

An example where this isn't the case is Splatoon 2, which has separate releases for Japan, North America, and Europe, I think so that NCL, NoA, and NoE can all run separate in-game promotional events.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 4, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I feel extremely stupid but I have my nice new oled switch and I’m considering not bringing it on a flight (the perfect time for switch) because I’m worried it’ll get beat up in the bag and it’s new

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Do you not have a carrying case for it?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you need a Satisfye grip and matching case!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

An example where this isn't the case is Splatoon 2, which has separate releases for Japan, North America, and Europe, I think so that NCL, NoA, and NoE can all run separate in-game promotional events.

Yeah, that's pretty much the main reason it has separated regional ROMs. Makes it easier for them to target specific regions with specific Splatfests instead of slamming everyone with a poll they can't possibly relate to.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I feel extremely stupid but I have my nice new oled switch and I’m considering not bringing it on a flight (the perfect time for switch) because I’m worried it’ll get beat up in the bag and it’s new

You sound extremely stupid if the concept of a case for the switch hasn't occurred to you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

abelwingnut posted:

looking at this now, think i'd be pretty drat scared of finding out the kind of people playing this...

If you think Doki Doki Literature Club is just a saccharine visual novel with dating/sex/whatever, it's not. It's really not. To explain more would spoil it, but there's a very specific point where it will drop the other shoe and things start getting very... interesting from thereon.

The only real concern to raise about it is maybe don't play it if you're in a bad mental headspace. It gets real dark.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Rahu posted:

Hey I have a dumb switch question.

If I have a physical version of a game and I buy that same game in the eShop, would I still be able to use my old save files in the downloaded version?

Bonus points if you know the answer for games in different regions because I live in the US ended up with a european copy of mario kart somehow.

Different regions I believe are different saves. Isaac definitely is.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you think Doki Doki Literature Club is just a saccharine visual novel with dating/sex/whatever, it's not. It's really not. To explain more would spoil it, but there's a very specific point where it will drop the other shoe and things start getting very... interesting from thereon.

The only real concern to raise about it is maybe don't play it if you're in a bad mental headspace. It gets real dark.

All anime is terrible trash and I’ve never played a dumb visually novel except Doki Doki.

It was really cool and I had a great time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

All anime is terrible trash and I’ve never played a dumb visually novel except Doki Doki.

It was really cool and I had a great time.

It’s a trap you like visual novels now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

You sound extremely stupid if the concept of a case for the switch hasn't occurred to you

Lol this is unnecessarily angry, I have a case but the switch is fragile as hell if it sits in luggage being knocked around

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Lol this is unnecessarily angry, I have a case but the switch is fragile as hell if it sits in luggage being knocked around

Keep the switch case in a backpack/carry on bag

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Get a hard case for the switch or stop throwing your bags around? Idk man this is a problem you've invented for yourself, most of the travelling world manages to carry ipads or laptops or whatever other delicate electronics on a plane without smashing them to pieces

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I’m bringing my switch on an airplane it’s gonna be in its in carrying case in my hand the entire time, car to car

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

cum jabbar posted:

Sounds like you need a Satisfye grip and matching case!

Speaking of that grip, I’m getting tired of waiting on the oled version I preordered to finally ship. Did I see a post here explaining there was a way to mod the second version of the grip to fit the oled? I just need something to last until the new ship date off around the 15th.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

You're not supposed to put the Switch in a case, you're supposed to walk around with it in your hands at all times like the rooftop party woman in the advert.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Good news, my binbok controllers are getting closer.

They just got picked up from

Jamaica, Jamaica, US

America's greatest colony

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

loudog999 posted:

Speaking of that grip, I’m getting tired of waiting on the oled version I preordered to finally ship. Did I see a post here explaining there was a way to mod the second version of the grip to fit the oled? I just need something to last until the new ship date off around the 15th.

You probably just have to shave down the little nubbins right?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Put it in a backback and they'll let you throw said pack under the seat in front of you, it never needs to touch the luggage bins

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

FFX is still good. Managed to drain my battery getting to some desert after fighting someone important.

I'm still really liking it. The bosses haven't been hard yet. You can generally outheal any damage thrown at you while you figure out the best way to whittle down their health so that you don't have to heal. What I mean to say, you take a few turns healing and testing out some stuff. You then figure out what works and then you go in.

Or just use a summon! Whatever works.

It's great. I'm enjoying the message of deadbeat dads even if I have a great relationship with my own dad. It's just neat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Why would you ever keep your Switch stowed away in luggage? Also, I recently posted a glowing review for a crossbody sling made specifically for the Switch that I got during Black Friday a couple days ago in this thread. If you're on-the-go a lot, and want to travel light, it's a pretty great solution imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 4, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s an $80 fanny pack

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s an $80 fanny pack

This op

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just bring a backpack and you can put snacks and emergency clothes in there in case your luggage gets lost

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

It would be fine in a hard case but.a Switch + Split Pad Pro + Tomtoc case is like Atari Lynx sized and takes up half my backpack.

When I used to travel in the before times I'd take my 3DS since it's much smaller and doesn't need a case. It's also a good excuse to work on my 3DS backlog.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

hatty posted:

You probably just have to shave down the little nubbins right?

I ended up taking it apart and removing the top two rubber nubs. It’s still a little tight but I think it will do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s an $80 fanny pack

Yeah, it owns.

[edit] As an aside, purpose-built slings are cool. I have this one for my camera https://www.chromeindustries.com/product/niko-camera-sling-2.0/BG-305.html?dwvar_BG-305_color=BK&dwvar_BG-305_size=NA&cgid=sling_bags

The timbuk2 sling for the Switch was within the dimensions I preferred and also capable of stowing two grips (either joy-con grips, or split pad pro).

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 4, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s an $80 fanny pack

It's a European carry all!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The other sling I was considering was this one in chocolate leather: https://www.sfbags.com/products/nintendo-switch-cityslicker-case but it doesn't fit as nearly as much stuff as the timbuk2 bag. Looks real nice though :shobon: They even made a white/black one to match the SWOLED.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

FFX is still good. Managed to drain my battery getting to some desert after fighting someone important.

I'm still really liking it. The bosses haven't been hard yet. You can generally outheal any damage thrown at you while you figure out the best way to whittle down their health so that you don't have to heal. What I mean to say, you take a few turns healing and testing out some stuff. You then figure out what works and then you go in.

Or just use a summon! Whatever works.

It's great. I'm enjoying the message of deadbeat dads even if I have a great relationship with my own dad. It's just neat.

You still have a few infamous bosses in your future which may help your difficulty concerns (or enrage you if you die a lot because unskippable cutscenes)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

This paired with cargo shorts and you can carry enough games to survive on any island or deciduous forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Have people been able to find Switch OLEDs recently? My cursory googling has informed me that it’s been easier to find them in-store but all the local Targets have been out of stock.