Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Post pics of your Trance.

Uhh so seems like I don't really have many good photos of the bike itself but here's one.

Also drat it's hard to find even just basic parts like brake pads right now... Seems like some importers have exclusive rights to sell Shimano and SRAM parts in New Zealand and so none of the online stores will ship those brand components here, but also none of the local retailers have anything in stock, so you just can't get them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

VelociBacon posted:

Looks great! Can't believe how nice it is there in November.

It's been a warm November, sadly. I wish it was more snow covered, but I'll also take the bonus MTB days. All the stuff east of Grand Junction/Fruita closes Dec 1 for wildlife habitat, so I'm gonna milk these last few days.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

evil_bunnY posted:

It's purely personal preference. I don't like how ungainly 29 feels, and how aware I have to be of the back wheel on downhills so as to not grind my taint.

What kind of downhills are you talking about? How steep? Features?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VelociBacon posted:

Looks great! Can't believe how nice it is there in November.

Trust me we are both not thrilled that it is still bike weather and not really ski weather.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

It’s fat bike weather here, baby!

(Apparently two unnoticed thorns in my front tire were ok at 20 psi but instaflat at 10 psi; gonna expedite my tubeless conversion I guess)

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Blackhawk posted:

Also drat it's hard to find even just basic parts like brake pads right now... Seems like some importers have exclusive rights to sell Shimano and SRAM parts in New Zealand and so none of the online stores will ship those brand components here, but also none of the local retailers have anything in stock, so you just can't get them at all.

I don't think that's a NZ thing. Most of the European stores won't ship Shimano/SRAM outside Europe because of agreements with the brand, and I assume the North American stores won't ship outside NA.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

pinarello dogman posted:

I don't think that's a NZ thing. Most of the European stores won't ship Shimano/SRAM outside Europe because of agreements with the brand, and I assume the North American stores won't ship outside NA.

Yeah, I mean I get it, but also it's loving stupid when nobody has them in stock locally and you also can't order it from anybody who does have it lol.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't once buzzed my butt on my back tyre since going from 27.5 to 29 earlier in the year, and I ride a lot of steep stuff. You don't need to get so far back on the bike at all, especially with newer slacker bikes. It's all about weighting the front and being central.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Levitate posted:

What kind of downhills are you talking about? How steep? Features?
Literally anything steep enough that I'm behind the saddle?

Blackhawk posted:

Yeah, I mean I get it, but also it's loving stupid when nobody has them in stock locally and you also can't order it from anybody who does have it lol.
If it's an emergency maybe you can arrange for an ausgoon to help you out?

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Eejit posted:

New bike day! 2021 Ripmo AF that I've been waiting on for 11 months. It rides gud

:yotj: Hey there, Aluminum Ibis Buddy!

I have about 230 miles on this beast so far and it is so good.

Dropper post maintenance question: This is the first time I've had one, and I'm having an issue with the post sticking when first released, after it has been sitting for a few hours. Once it has been lowered, it raises and lowers freely without issue for the rest of the ride, but the first time I hit the release it takes a bit of extra force to lower the post. I've played with the seat post clamp, it isn't over-torqued. Any thoughts?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

afflictionwisp posted:

:yotj: Hey there, Aluminum Ibis Buddy!

I have about 230 miles on this beast so far and it is so good.

Dropper post maintenance question: This is the first time I've had one, and I'm having an issue with the post sticking when first released, after it has been sitting for a few hours. Once it has been lowered, it raises and lowers freely without issue for the rest of the ride, but the first time I hit the release it takes a bit of extra force to lower the post. I've played with the seat post clamp, it isn't over-torqued. Any thoughts?

I had a similar problem. It's likely just dirty and needs a re-grease. If its a cartridge based one, they're pretty easy:you need to loosen the the collar, top nut, and actuator and it all comes apart. clean out, regrease with suspension specific stuff, and reassemble. Check youtube for video tutorial.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

If it's an emergency maybe you can arrange for an ausgoon to help you out?

Nah it's all good, cheers. I was just getting some brake pads for my partner's bike which were in stock and I looked for spares for mine even though I don't need them yet and couldn't find anything. I could get some off-brand compatible ones, but I'm not sure how much I trust them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I went for my first post-vasectomy ride last night, 5 weeks later. It was rough, but immediately after healing from that I caught a nasty cold that took 2 weeks to recover from.

It was a night ride, and although I definitely need to figure out why it takes 3 pumps to get brake pressure for my rear brake, everything else was great.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I went for my first post-vasectomy ride last night, 5 weeks later. It was rough, but immediately after healing from that I caught a nasty cold that took 2 weeks to recover from.

It was a night ride, and although I definitely need to figure out why it takes 3 pumps to get brake pressure for my rear brake, everything else was great.
Well they did snip your lines

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Oh gently caress

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:piss:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I live in Colorado and ride a bike. What is a good lube that's not Boeshield?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:perfect:

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Eejit posted:

NixFrixShun

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Eejit posted:

:perfect:

Squirt

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Rock n Roll Blue also does well for me out here.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

I live in a desert and also like this stuff. Seems to pick up very little dirt. I just wipe the chain off prior to re-application and have not had to do any deeper cleaning.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I've been liking the Silca supersecret stuff over Squirt

unless that was another vasectomy joke

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Eejit posted:

wax

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Too lazy

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Drip wax (squirt, nix, etc) is also very good

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Drip wax (squirt, nix, etc) is also very good

Gonna start with Rock n Roll Blue for a 4oz bottle and go to Squirt or Nix if I don't like it

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I'm feeling so down...

I got to work and started trying to get my brakes sorts, breaking my brand new reservoir tool on the first use accidentally. I was able to sorta get it done, and then started on my shifting issue. I quickly realized my loving bolt that holds the axle on the derailleur side is just gone.

All I want to do is ride, and the weather is perfect today :cry:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

That’s why everyone needs multiple bikes

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Well I'm a loving idiot. There's nothing missing, it's just the axle needs tightened from the other side. At least things are looking like I can ride today, it's going to be 73 and sunny!

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Does anyone have any advice for DVO Diamond vs MRP Ribbon? in a fork? From what I can tell they seem to be very very similar in terms of quality and ride feel. Just want to know if anyone has ridden on either before.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Never ridden a Diamond, but I own an older (2017-ish) Ribbon and it's fine. I much prefer my Fox 36 to it, but it's held up to Colorado riding without issue.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I rode a bike today in 77 degree weather :unsmith:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I did not like my ribbon at all. I found it to be fine on big hits but borderline rigid on fast small bumps like roots. It lacks high speed compression adjustment which is not great in a thousand dollar fork. As someone who only rides hand built single track full of rocks and roots it was a bad fork for me. I replaced it with a Mezzer which has been absolutely amazing.

I have a DVO Sapphire on my hard tail which I also like a bunch.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

funkymonks posted:

I did not like my ribbon at all. I found it to be fine on big hits but borderline rigid on fast small bumps like roots. It lacks high speed compression adjustment which is not great in a thousand dollar fork. As someone who only rides hand built single track full of rocks and roots it was a bad fork for me. I replaced it with a Mezzer which has been absolutely amazing.

I do agree with you that the compression characteristics of the fork aren’t the best. The new damper is supposed to help this? Never used it though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

vikingstrike posted:

Never ridden a Diamond, but I own an older (2017-ish) Ribbon and it's fine. I much prefer my Fox 36 to it, but it's held up to Colorado riding without issue.

Just got on a Fox Factory 38 for the Ripmo AF and it's an absolute delight. So good going over everything. Also the geometry plus the Fox Float X2 makes the thing just fly uphill. Pretty happy I made the upgrade from the Jade that comes specced on the bike.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I’m putting a new front chainring on my bike. Is it safe to assume that they are all more or less the same? Im running out of gears climbing and rarely / never am on the smallest gear in the back. Is there any downside to throwing a 30t on it?

Cassette SRAM XG-1275 10-50T
Crankarms SRAM Stylo 7k Eagle 34T

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 4, 2021

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

funkymonks posted:

Alright, the ribbon doesn't sound like it would be a good choice for where I ride then. Ty for the advice!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

I’m putting a new front chainring on my bike. Is it safe to assume that they are all more or less the same? Im running out of gears climbing and rarely / never am on the smallest gear in the back. Is there any downside to throwing a 30t on it?

No, that seems reasonable to me. I run out of climbing gears before I even get on the bike so I get it.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Ropes4u posted:

I would just try to not mix shimano and SRAM. No harm at all in dropping down a few teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Can we talk about what masochists single speeders are? I can't imagine having no range at all and riding some of the steep stuff around here.