Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Happy 20th anniversary to Propagandhi's "Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes"

I remember getting it on release day, feeling very old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Hot Diggity! posted:

jeez..I remember when How to Clean Everything came out. thanks,.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

They had Jason Livermore Remix and Remaster it and it sounds about 10000 times better. It came out today, so get it and blast it. It's so loving good. They fixed everything Chrissy hated about it. Everything sounds miles better, especially the drums and guitars, but the whole mix is just clearer and more powerful.

Also- Chris' Patreon is the best money I've probably ever spent on that sort of thing. The Duplicate Keys Icaro episode in particular is just staggeringly good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4uNzXnue1c

Put me in a medical coma until their Brooklyn show in January please.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 16, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4uNzXnue1c

Put me in a medical coma until their Brooklyn show in January please.

Yes yes yes. That show is going to be wild. I’m so excited.

Have they announced who’s opening yet?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Hank von Hell from Turbonegro passed away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpOJ0q7Nosk

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/laurajanegrace/status/1463211766587052032?s=21

Feeling great about living in Buffalo rn

Mobina Galore is a band from Winnipeg that is cool and good and opened for Propagandhi when they played three shows on consecutive nights last month. My friend Greg, who does the podcast Unscripted Moments, flew there to go to all three shows like a total crazy person. He did a bonus episode chronicling his experience and also interviewed one of the members of Mobina Galore in a later one. It’s a good podcast if you want to dive deep into every Propagandhi song. They also talk to a lot of people who knew the band throughout their career, and also the band members once in a while. I will be a future guest on the Tartuffe episode!

Edit: the Today’s Empires, Tomorrow’s Ashes remix/remaster sounds absolutely incredible. Literally everything about it is better, unless you really loved the sound clips at the beginnings/ends of songs. Chris did a bonus Patreon video where he listened through it and talked about what changed and why they chose to do certain things like remove most of the aforementioned clips.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 24, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone have a bead on where I can find some old punk albums online from the group The Nihilistics?

There’s some on Apple Music but definitely not everything, and it’s gotten me back into a groove.

Saw them live once in 2003(?) opening for the only/dez/ramone misfits and the vocalist, among other things, cut the head off a large osama bin Ladin puppet (complete with fake blood) and pulled his cock out on stage. There was also a large group of children at this show for some reason who couldn’t have been older than like 13.

This was a very good show.

https://youtu.be/y9n_Xv3TQSg

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://://twitter.com/laurajanegrace/status/1463211766587052032?s=21

Feeling great about living in Buffalo rn

Mobina Galore is a band from Winnipeg that is cool and good and opened for Propagandhi when they played three shows on consecutive nights last month. My friend Greg, who does the podcast Unscripted Moments, flew there to go to all three shows like a total crazy person. He did a bonus episode chronicling his experience and also interviewed one of the members of Mobina Galore in a later one. It’s a good podcast if you want to dive deep into every Propagandhi song. They also talk to a lot of people who knew the band throughout their career, and also the band members once in a while. I will be a future guest on the Tartuffe episode!
Well hey there fellow future podcast guest! I posted about Cheap Trick on Twitter so much that Greg goaded me into guesting on the eventual "I Want U 2 Vant Me" episode. It will probably be somewhat less serious than the "Tartuffe" episode. (I also did the cover on the "Devil's Creek" episode, and sent a couple of voicemails.)

quote:

Edit: the Today’s Empires, Tomorrow’s Ashes remix/remaster sounds absolutely incredible. Literally everything about it is better, unless you really loved the sound clips at the beginnings/ends of songs. Chris did a bonus Patreon video where he listened through it and talked about what changed and why they chose to do certain things like remove most of the aforementioned clips.
I know the non-lovely guitars have been getting a lot of love, but man, listening to the reissue against the original really shows how much they did Jord dirty with the original mix.

I'll miss the Bella Galhos sample at the beginning of Mate Ka, but if I ever hear the sound of pigs being tortured in the Purina intro again, it'll be too soon.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Moe_Rahn posted:

Well hey there fellow future podcast guest! I posted about Cheap Trick on Twitter so much that Greg goaded me into guesting on the eventual "I Want U 2 Vant Me" episode. It will probably be somewhat less serious than the "Tartuffe" episode. (I also did the cover on the "Devil's Creek" episode, and sent a couple of voicemails.)

Oh that cover was great. Yeah I hit up Greg on Twitter and it turned out he lives like two miles down the road from me so

https://twitter.com/kotexfitts/status/1463672431529373702?s=21

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 25, 2021

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Just found out that Gared O'Donnell of Planes Mistaken for Stars passed away yesterday. Though I can't say I'm the biggest fan of all their albums, I'm a huge, huge fan of their self titled EP.

Truly a bummer.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Just found out that Gared O'Donnell of Planes Mistaken for Stars passed away yesterday. Though I can't say I'm the biggest fan of all their albums, I'm a huge, huge fan of their self titled EP.

Truly a bummer.

gently caress man, Hank and Gared in the same week. Both those guys were huge for me in my late teens. Up In Them Guts is an all timer for me.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I wrote off Propagandhi a long time ago because I wasn't in love with How To Clean Everything but I just got turned on to Today's Empires due to the reissue and I'm 1) 20 years late to the party, and 2) blown away by it. Any recs on where to go from here with their catalog? Just check out their records chronologically? tia

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I’m the only one who loves How To Clean Everything the most.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
But wait a minute DAD
Did you actually say FREEDOM?
Well if you're dumb enough to VOTE
I guess you're dumb enough to BELIEVE EM

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

I wrote off Propagandhi a long time ago because I wasn't in love with How To Clean Everything but I just got turned on to Today's Empires due to the reissue and I'm 1) 20 years late to the party, and 2) blown away by it. Any recs on where to go from here with their catalog? Just check out their records chronologically? tia

I mean everything from TETA forward is amazing so just get in there. Potemkin is probably the least approachable but most rewarding, supporting caste is a total masterpiece, failed states is darker but a phenomenal record and has my favorite prop song on it (duplicate keys icaro), and Victory Lap just rules top to bottom. Welcome to the party man. I was late too-I started listening to them around 08

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Happy Hippo posted:

imo:

1. Potemkin City Limits
2. Todays Empires Tommorrows Ashes
3. Supporting Caste
4. Victory Lap (really the whole album is bangin but the above three are better due to certain tracks)
5. Everything else is great except for
6. How to Clean Everything which is just okay

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Thanks, y'all

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Their only two good albums are how to clean everything and less talk more rock.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NinetySevenA posted:

their two worst albums by a substantial margin you mean (I like thrash, not pop punk so that probably explains a lot)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NinetySevenA posted:

This is a dogsgit opinion, and I say that as someone who really likes John K Samson

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
less talk more rock is real good, but how to clean everything is... not

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

NinetySevenA posted:

Did you just time travel from 2001

But seriously, that’s the opinion that a lot of people have and they’re objectively wrong.

Supporting Caste is unequivocally their best album. Potemkin City Limits is kind of divisive, a lot of the songs sound different from their other stuff and Chris is pushing his voice into too high of a range which I don’t like. Still has a few great songs like A Speculative Fiction, Bringer of Greater Things, America’s Army (Die Jugend Marschiert) and Rock for Sustainable Capitalism. I wasn’t a fan of Failed States when it came out but they remixed it in 2019 to brighten up the sound and it’s much better. Duplicate Keys Icaro is a top three Propagandhi song. Victory Lap is incredible and full of absolute bangers.

I still like How to Clean Everything but I recognize its problems, many of which were Fat Mike’s fault. Less Talk, More Rock is great and was way ahead of its time with its criticisms of the 90’s punk scene, homophobia and toxic masculinity.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 2, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It looks like War on Women isn’t going to be able to play the rescheduled BR/Alkaline Trio shows, which is a shame! They rule and I am convinced that they should be signed to Epitaph so they can get more exposure. I made a petition asking Mr. Brett to sign them, it only has 60 signatures so far (lol) but if you all want to help out by signing it and retweeting please do so.

https://twitter.com/kotexfitts/status/1457850079553990663?s=21

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

War on women is excellent.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It looks like War on Women isn’t going to be able to play the rescheduled BR/Alkaline Trio shows, which is a shame! They rule and I am convinced that they should be signed to Epitaph so they can get more exposure. I made a petition asking Mr. Brett to sign them, it only has 60 signatures so far (lol) but if you all want to help out by signing it and retweeting please do so.

https://twitter.com/kotexfitts/status/1457850079553990663?s=21

Aww man that sucks for the rest of the shows. I saw them last month at the Worcester MA show and I liked their set better than Alkaline’s.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Propaghandichat: I was always tangentially aware of them but didn’t sit down and give them a serious top-to-bottom listen until maybe 2016.

While I’m glad I did it then, what a loving mistake. I should have paid closer attention and did it in loving 1995. I’m an rear end in a top hat.

Victory Lap is best played on the loudest device you have. If it doesn’t hurt, it’s not loud enough. Failed Imagineer and Nigredo particularly are essentially about me and my father, except very slightly Canadian.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I just went to a record store and bought Bad Brains on cassette and it was awesome

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
This is uh quite the line up:

Anukahn
Jul 22, 2006

My brain hurts
Suddlenly remembered Pop Unknown's Writing it down to you and well the thread title also says Emo
https://youtu.be/7jjA9VBD2rE

Checked what was up with the band, they dissolved Pop Unknown like 20 years ago to fund a different one with 47 monthly listeners on Spotify.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My episode of the podcast about Propagandhi is up. Featuring me recounting how I became a fan and also the life and work of Moliere, arguably the greatest comedy writer of all time.

https://twitter.com/propagandhipod/status/1472226112356945921?s=21

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My episode of the podcast about Propagandhi is up. Featuring me recounting how I became a fan and also the life and work of Moliere, arguably the greatest comedy writer of all time.

https://twitter.com/propagandhipod/status/1472226112356945921?s=21

I didn't know you were a goon! The pod loving rules man thanks for being a mega nerd about the best band in the world. Hopefully you do more eps someday this was a good one

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009
Ok, I’m not going to read 300+ pages, is the circle jerks/7 seconds show worth it? I also find it really funny those two playing together…last time I saw 7 seconds they were the pretty in pink band but that was in the 80’s and they stoped the show because we were beating the poo poo out of a couple of nazi skins…it was funny to me, they should of staged dived on their heads but they were trying to preach…something but it was a fun boot party…CHBC!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

uwimage posted:

Ok, I’m not going to read 300+ pages, is the circle jerks/7 seconds show worth it? I also find it really funny those two playing together…last time I saw 7 seconds they were the pretty in pink band but that was in the 80’s and they stoped the show because we were beating the poo poo out of a couple of nazi skins…it was funny to me, they should of staged dived on their heads but they were trying to preach…something but it was a fun boot party…CHBC!

Quoting for posterity

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Anything really great come out this year? My own list is fairly short with not a lot coming out, but I also think I just missed stuff.

Thread related bands include the Armed, Amyl and the Sniffers, Genghis Tron, and Torso.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

here's most of the punk/hc and adjacent stuff I liked this year

LPs:
Fiddlehead - Between the Richness
Turnstile - Glow On
Ekulu - Unscrew My Head
Quicksand - Distant Populations
Dead Heat - World at War
God's Hate - God's Hate
Angel Du$t - Yak: A Collection of Truck Songs
Converge & Chelsea Wolfe - Bloodmoon
Be All End All - Pact Music
World Peace - Come and See
Regional Justice Center - Crime and Punishment
Chubby and the Gang - The Mutt's Nuts
The Chisel - Retaliation

EPs:
Drug Church - Tawny
Move - Freedom Dreams
Violent Spirit - Fire
Final Gasp - Haunting Whisper
Spiritual Cramp - Here Comes Bad News
Gel - Violent Closure
Cell Rot - Slowly Falls Apart
Internal - Primal State
Pummel - Next in Line
Big Cheese - Anymore for Anymore?

Demos:
Burning Lord
Nailed Shut
Big Shot

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy!

I was gonna post in the general rec thread but I've got kind of a weird request: does anyone know if there are any midwest emo-style bands out there that mix the twinkly guitar thing they all do with harsh noise? I'm not talking like "noise rock" or shoegaze like Parannoul or what a lot of the so-called fifth wave bands seem to be doing, it's cool and I like it, I'm just curious if there's a blend of the two. I feel like the beauty of the whole midwest style of playing would sound really cool if someone ran it through a bunch of distortion pedals.
Failing that, does anyone know of any raw/lo-fi stuff in this style that isn't the brave little abacus or nouns? I like both of them just fine, but I'm looking for something I haven't heard before.

Thanks!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

I was gonna post in the general rec thread but I've got kind of a weird request: does anyone know if there are any midwest emo-style bands out there that mix the twinkly guitar thing they all do with harsh noise? I'm not talking like "noise rock" or shoegaze like Parannoul or what a lot of the so-called fifth wave bands seem to be doing, it's cool and I like it, I'm just curious if there's a blend of the two. I feel like the beauty of the whole midwest style of playing would sound really cool if someone ran it through a bunch of distortion pedals.
Failing that, does anyone know of any raw/lo-fi stuff in this style that isn't the brave little abacus or nouns? I like both of them just fine, but I'm looking for something I haven't heard before.

Thanks!

Maybe check out The Reptilian?

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

camoseven posted:

Maybe check out The Reptilian?

It's definitely more on the noise rock than outright harsh noise end of the spectrum, but if this is the closest I can get I'll take it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

Thanks!

Very old skool, but maybe Boy’s Life?