Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Joementum posted:

cnn should probably consider not having vaxx-skeptics on its shows

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1467171537316827138

I'm gonna repost my post from yesterday morning about Ghandi because I think a lot of people missed it. She is the 10th dentist.

-----------------------------------------------

However how did no one in this thread pick up on this article?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-02/get-a-booster-now-and-don-t-wait-for-omicron-shot-experts-say

quote:

Don’t wait to get a booster shot.

That’s the overwhelming advice from 15 vaccine experts, infectious disease doctors and public-health officials polled by Bloomberg after the rise of the new omicron variant sent vaccine makers rushing to revamp their shots in case new versions are needed.

The highly mutated strain raises new questions about how well existing Covid-19 vaccines will hold up. But the experts cited a range of reasons for getting an additional dose now, including a lack of sufficient data about omicron, growing evidence about the benefits of boosters and the months that reformulated shots will likely take to become available.

“Boosters are even more urgent,” said Gregory Poland, director of the Mayo Clinic’s Vaccine Research Group, “not only to elevate immunity as much as possible for individual protection, but also population-level immunity in terms of the spread of omicron and the further emergence of new variants.”

Who should receive a booster right now?

Vaccine makers are evaluating the efficacy of their shots against omicron and developing new, tailored inoculations. In the U.S., where the first cases were identified just this week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said all adults should get boosters either six months after receiving Pfizer Inc.-BioNTech SE or Moderna Inc.’s two-dose regimen or two months after a Johnson & Johnson jab.

Most experts surveyed aligned with the CDC’s recommendation, saying that all adults should receive a booster.

And while the extra doses might not protect fully against omicron, they “are our best chance, along with other public health measures, of keeping people out of the hospital,” said Lois Privor-Dumm, director of adult vaccines at the International Vaccine Access Center, an advocacy group. “We don’t know enough about omicron yet to know how well vaccines work, but some protection is better than no protection.”

Only Monica Gandhi, a professor of medicine and infectious diseases doctor at the University of California at San Francisco, disagreed: While people 65 and older and those with medical conditions would benefit, “we don’t have enough data yet on omicron to recommend boosters for everyone,” she said, “nor do we know if young healthy people would benefit (or if there would be some adverse effects).”

Paul Offit, director of the vaccine education center at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, who didn’t participate in the survey, also has reservations about wide use of boosters beyond high-risk populations. He noted that myocarditis, a type of heart inflammation that’s usually mild and quickly resolves, is a rare risk for young people who get the vaccine.

“There has to be clear benefit in order for you to say the benefits outweigh the risks,” said Offit, a member of the Food and Drug Administration’s vaccines advisory committee.

Get Jabbed
The experts surveyed unanimously said people shouldn’t wait for new versions of existing vaccines. Boosters will protect recipients from the highly transmissible delta variant that’s now dominant, and could help with the omicron variant, they said.

Monica Ghandi is the one dentist that doesn't recommend Crest, and she's the one that gets 99% of media coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mod sassinator posted:

lmao the mods there loving fact checked a bloomberg story on toddlers being hospitalized and removed it because they couldn't figure out the primary source and thought the news was too doomer

Gonna be very interesting from a mental health standpoint when the "follow da science, wait for data" Pollyanna blue MAGA lib brains have a dose of reality rudely shoved in their faces a couple months from now. I'm vindictive enough to let anything happen as a result.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Salt Fish posted:

Remember when some north-east state had an outbreak in a fully vaccinated group and people tried to downplay it by explaining that they were gay men?

that was in provincetown, ma over the summer

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

zone posted:

Gonna be very interesting from a mental health standpoint when the "follow da science, wait for data" Pollyanna blue MAGA lib brains have a dose of reality rudely shoved in their faces a couple months from now. I'm vindictive enough to let anything happen as a result.

They're just gonna continue to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXIetP5iak

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Remember when some north-east state had an outbreak in a fully vaccinated group and people tried to downplay it by explaining that they were gay men?

Wasn't that Delta? Like ptown or something

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mod sassinator posted:

i think that tweet from someone who mutated the spike of omicron and found it would bind stronger to ACE2 than any antibody we could create. the implication being if it got in a human there is no way its immune system could clear the virus--it would happily replicate and the immune system would fail to kill it. it would just go and go until dumb luck makes it stop or it has destroyed enough important cells in likely your lungs that you're dead

edit: to be clear though this is something that requires more mutation. so it's possible but not happening with omicron... yet

but that's not how bonds work. a spike protein that has an antibody stuck to it won't drop that antibody and seek out an ACE2 receptor because it isn't a matter of the ACE2 being a stronger bond but a matter of somehow getting the energy to pull the antibody off, then bond to the ACE2. same goes for a virus that is stuck to the cell in the middle of merging with it, an antibody might stick to another spike on the surface of the virus but it isn't going to lever the other one off the cell.

it also isn't how antibodies work. antibodies work by clumping up a bunch of viruses (an antibody that is bonded to a target becomes extremely sticky to other bonded antibodies, quickly creating a big blob of viruses that can't move and is easy pickings for immune cells) or by sticking to cells that are expressing viral proteins on the surface leading to other immune cells that regularly come by killing the cell before viruses can bud off.

the binding strength possibly being so high is a really big lol for infectiousness but doesn't mean you can't clear the virus.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

there is strong evidence from Israel that after about 3 months the protection from boosters has waned nearly back down to where it started.

do you have a source for this? i've looked high and low for all sorts of booster information and this is my first time seeing this claim.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Elea posted:

Yeah she's scubaing next to me (safely) and we're in the ocean off Baja California. No waves on this side of the peninsula

Amazing activity

does the inflatable hold up to that? Or does it wiggle around a lot and isn't usable if waves show up?

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 4, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

genericnick posted:

Haven't seen that, where's it from?

McNuggetBuddy has a good tweet of a graph from Israeli boosted trial folks broken down by age group. they have the most data for the 65+ cohort and the measured antibodies are back down to baseline after 3 months. the younger age groups only had a few months of data but looked like they would trend down similarly. if you go back a month and look at feigl ding's tweets i'm sure it's in there. but ultimately look at the UK... they didn't just pick 3 months as their new booster time out of the blue

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Salt Fish posted:

the cdc's response to that outbreak is fascinating

a post mortem on why a relatively small and contained outbreak at bear week in July convinced senior CDC officials to take Delta seriously when millions of dead Indians in May didn't would be very informative I think

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

pack rafting is getting really popular and a thing in the outdoor and hiking world from what i've seen. my neighbor has a big inflatable kayak i see him drying out and using every weekend. it looks like they pack down to about the size of a sleeping bag so you can haul them everywhere

yeah don't worry about that inflatable Kayak, its not a kids pool toy its actually made for rapids :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWQ0RJKBMU

i bought this exact model of inflatable boat recently. my plan if there is widespread unrest is to paddle up the detroit river and escape to crown land :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fireside Nut posted:

Your story, as difficult as it is to hear, has been really uplifting and motivating - I really appreciate you sharing it. You’re going to continue to improve and have lots of good years ahead of you. Hang in there, friend :)

thank you

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

IMHO the only way for us to protect ourselves from the Omicron wave is if everyone goes out right now and catches Delta. let's do this

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

i'm glad they drew an arrow so i know what Delta Omicron is an anagram of

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

smoobles posted:

IMHO the only way for us to protect ourselves from the Omicron wave is if everyone goes out right now and catches Delta. let's do this

You go first, I'll be right behind you.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I'm gonna repost my post from yesterday morning about Ghandi because I think a lot of people missed it. She is the 10th dentist.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-02/get-a-booster-now-and-don-t-wait-for-omicron-shot-experts-say

Monica Ghandi is the one dentist that doesn't recommend Crest, and she's the one that gets 99% of media coverage.

yeah, I think she’s probably got some underlying antivax beliefs (not philosophical ones though) but conceded in her head at some point that it’s okay for some people to do it sometimes as a treat. dunno why else she’d be so aggro against boosters and endlessly repeating the same “well, we just need to wait to see the whole picture here” argument about them in different ways for months and months and months.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rutibex posted:

yeah don't worry about that inflatable Kayak, its not a kids pool toy its actually made for rapids :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWQ0RJKBMU

i bought this exact model of inflatable boat recently. my plan if there is widespread unrest is to paddle up the detroit river and escape to crown land :v:

That's crazy, wow

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Amazing activity

does the inflatable hold up to that? Or does it wiggle around a lot and isn't usable if waves show up?

I got this one for $70 and it's holding up well despite being loaded with metal stakes and hammers. Intex explorer 2 or something like that.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
HHS DATA

Critical Staffing Shortages: 996
The # of States with hospitalizations over 70%: 45
The # of States with ICU occupancy over 70%: 46
The # of Adults Hospitalized with COVID: 58,045
The # Of Kids Hospitalized with COVID: 1,389
The # Of Adults in the ICU with COVID: 14,030
Hospital Bed Utilization: 78
COVID Hospital Beds: 9%
ICU Bed Utilization: 80%
COVID ICU Beds: 21%

FLU Data

ICU: 79
Hospitalizations: 912

*Graphs would mirror yesterday for the most part.

Big Changes
Alaska ICU went from 83-89
ND from 73 to 78
MT from 73-76
NE/AL down 3 but still at 30 day highs
ID/VT down 4
HI down 6
Hospitalizations HI + 3, MT down 3

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thoguh posted:

lmao (and for anyone else who is wondering but doesn't want to read the article, yes they specifically say it's her)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

smoobles posted:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
https://twitter.com/RNS/status/1467161774717816844?t=4h67W8yaL-KqPgk-DRmJfA&s=19

hypocrisy? in my catholic arch bishops???

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Glumwheels posted:

Better to find out before he married her but man it’s got to be hard to date during the pandemic even when you’re smart and hunky like AJ.

Last time I started dating, it was right when delta was hitting the states and the women I hung out with went as follows:

#1 - was really interested until I asked if we could get outside seating due to COVID before our first date. Said she didn't want to meet up since I was "taking things too seriously"

#2 - burst into tears when I asked her how she felt about this Delta thing since she "did everything right and it wasn't fair", then tried to suck my dilz like 5 minutes later

Dont date lmao

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

mod sassinator posted:

it's up to now 100 out of 120 fully vaccinated people getting sick and spreading at this single event. everyone even had to have a negative test before the event!

CANCEL YOUR CHRISTMAS PARTY PLANS

Lol what makes you think any of us have Christmas plans? I’m going to a zoo lights event outside and that’s it. My wife wanted to go see the mall parade, also outside, but it draws huge crowds so gently caress that noise.

I haven’t even stepped foot into a mall or store for Christmas shopping lmao.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's Time To Spend

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
here's the your booster is only good for 3 months data:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1447256044053229573

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1467194623084924928

It seems like things are starting to stabilize and the rate of new cases and hospitalized are not rising as quickly.

Wait, what do you mean, it's a Saturday?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

NeonPunk posted:

It seems like things are starting to stabilize and the rate of new cases and hospitalized are not rising as quickly.

open biden except the name of the south african president bc i don't wanna google it

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Goatse Biden

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

smoobles posted:

Max titers cannot catch Delta.
Therefore Max titers is in danger.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Business Gorillas posted:

#2 - burst into tears when I asked her how she felt about this Delta thing since she "did everything right and it wasn't fair", then tried to suck my dilz like 5 minutes later

That's the spirit of a poster

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

NeonPunk posted:

i wonder what the test positivity is though. it was 24% yesterday. at that level trying to read anything into case counts is kinda meaningless other than, it's bad

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
oh BNO tweeted again, it's 23.8% positivity lol.. small decrease

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

mod sassinator posted:

oh BNO tweeted again, it's 23.9% positivity lol.. small decrease

See? I told you
It's mild after all

OPEN UP
DON'T BE LATE FOR SCHOOL

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

oh BNO tweeted again, it's 23.9% positivity lol.. small decrease

OMICRON'S OVER, DOOMERS! *fart*

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Business Gorillas posted:

sounds like you found a nice goon what’s the problem?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

COVID is currently circulating in the North American wild deer population

https://twitter.com/alfonslopeztena/status/1466502592637411335?s=21

:sickos:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

issue a mini gun to all Americans it's time to end deer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Anyone have a link to the best spot to buy the current thread recommended masks?

I think they might be auras still, but I'm not sure...