Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I agree except for the Scoleri Brothers, I get the impression they did something really hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ghosts are demonic and must be kept in some sort of dimensional prison.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Afterlife disagrees!

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ghosts are a menace and are to be trapped for profit and only profit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

Especially egons

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Especially egons

For every time you don’t watch Afterlife, I’m going to watch it twice. Doubly so for that action figure two-pack. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

For every time you don’t watch Afterlife, I’m going to watch it twice. Doubly so for that action figure two-pack. :colbert:

Xenomrph no you need to be able to eat and sleep

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 22, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Not gonna bother me haha. I mean you do you. I just don’t know what you’re gonna do with an army of undead cgi ghouls lol

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Not gonna bother me haha. I mean you do you. I just don’t know what you’re gonna do with an army of undead cgi ghouls lol

Egon wasn't as bad as Princess Leia, who died the day before I saw Rogue One or whatever Star War that was.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but Fisher wasn’t dead when they made it. She wasn’t dead opening night either.

Harold Ramis has been dead for 7 years.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I would bust force ghost Anikin and force ghost Yoda

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Turn you into a spore, mold, or fungus (your choice)

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 22, 2021

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

So, I was stuck in Valdosta GA this week on a work trip and figured I'd check this out. I've got the usual issues with the movie but what I really disliked was how it looked. Now I don't know if the theater was just underlit but I felt like it had the horrible, everything is gray look to it. People standing on the street in high noon in Oklahoma and yet covered in shade. Everything kind of washed out in the Digital RAW style. It just looked like very little effort had been put int the look of the movie.

I haven't noticed any writings on the look of the movie so was it the crappy theater I was in or have other people noticed it too?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Delzuma posted:

So, I was stuck in Valdosta GA this week on a work trip and figured I'd check this out. I've got the usual issues with the movie but what I really disliked was how it looked. Now I don't know if the theater was just underlit but I felt like it had the horrible, everything is gray look to it. People standing on the street in high noon in Oklahoma and yet covered in shade. Everything kind of washed out in the Digital RAW style. It just looked like very little effort had been put int the look of the movie.

I haven't noticed any writings on the look of the movie so was it the crappy theater I was in or have other people noticed it too?

I saw it in a Dolby Atmos theater and it looked OK to me

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I saw it in a Dolby Atmos theater and it looked OK to me

Makes sense, upon reflection it reminds me of how it looks when you watch an HDR movie on a tv that doesn't support the signal. Wonder if it's possible to play a Dolby version (which they had theaters for, but I didn't go into) in a theater that's not set up for it.

Delzuma fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 3, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My local AMC cinema seems to like leaving lights on, so there’s often orange glows in the bottom left and right of the screen, which kind of washes out the colour in the smaller cinemas.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

My local AMC cinema seems to like leaving lights on, so there’s often orange glows in the bottom left and right of the screen, which kind of washes out the colour in the smaller cinemas.

gently caress COVID, this is the real reason why I built a 4k 7.4.1 Atmos Theater in my basement. (though it did come in handy during the shutdown.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

My local theater recently decided to have captions enabled on every single film. Like, I'm cool with inclusivity, but I find it super distracting when the text is telegraphing things before and as they happen. So, besides covid, it's probably going to be home movies for me now too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

roffels posted:

My local theater recently decided to have captions enabled on every single film. Like, I'm cool with inclusivity, but I find it super distracting when the text is telegraphing things before and as they happen. So, besides covid, it's probably going to be home movies for me now too.

I watch every movie with captions because it rules

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Go see films at my local cinema!

I watch some films with captions. I like options.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Me too, but bad or ill-timed ones are the worst.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Ehh, I mean I try not to do this when I can help it but the way my house is built, if I'm watching movies in the middle of summer or winter I kind of have to because it's either that or miss 80% of the dialogue when my AC/heater kicks on.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Finally saw it last night

Why didn't Zuul/Vinz Clortho possess Egon rather than killing him via heart attack?

Why didn't ghost Egon get sucked into the trap array?

What of all the other ghosts around town?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nostalgia!!!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

The Merkinman posted:

Why didn't ghost Egon get sucked into the trap array?

Friendly ectoplasmic entities have a different ionization rate.

Actually that's just some poo poo I made up.

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 4, 2021

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

The Merkinman posted:

What of all the other ghosts around town?

Good question - was this addressed in the first two films too?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

Why didn't Zuul/Vinz Clortho possess Egon rather than killing him via heart attack?

Uh, that's a little cinemasinnsy Zuul didn't give Egon a heart attack deliberately, they don't have magic heart attack powers as far as I know. They were trying to possess/attack him, and he had a heart attack as that is a very stressful event.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I thought Egon deliberately inflicted a heart attack on himself with the taser.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Man all this poo poo is so weird.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Oberndorf posted:

I thought Egon deliberately inflicted a heart attack on himself with the taser.

Did he? Huh, I don't remember, though it did all happen quite quickly with some fast cutting from what I recall the hands burst out and he kind of just dies, it's later that it's clarified that he dies of a heart attack. I could be wrong though.

CelticPredator posted:

Man all this poo poo is so weird.

What, the tone of it or the narrative decision itself? The tone is pretty different and darker than the first film. I get why people are mad that this doesn't follow the tone of the 84 film, in the same way people are mad that the 16 film didn't either. 16 was way goofier, and Afterlife is way more serious, but I also don't feel that there's any obligation to match the tone anyway. The concept is pretty pliant, these films have a different filmmaker. So change up the tone of it, why not? I hope, if they do make more Ghostbusters, they just let different directors do whatever they want, maybe one will do an even more dark or frightening version, maybe another will go full light-hearted space adventure camp with Ghostbusters travelling through different dimensions like Aykroyds original script. You can really do anything, the 84 film is what it is, and I don't think it's tone needs to be necessarily always stuck too.

roffels posted:

Good question - was this addressed in the first two films too?

Nope, presumably they just hosed off somewhere. Or, in the absence of the big paranormal event energising them they became less corporeal.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 4, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m just baffled by the entire thing. Even more baffled they turned a character played by a real life person who is now dead into a weird deadbeat creepy old man who apparently zapped himself to death so he can trigger the apocalypse and make his estranged daughter and her children save the day. It’s such a weird choice and kind of messed up honestly because the man who helped make this character come to life isn’t here. It feels disrespectful. Maybe it’s not and Ivan and Ramis got together and talked about it before he died as a potential story but idk.

It don’t feel right. I don’t get it. Like alright don’t make a ghostbusters movie a comedy (?) but adding all this lore and depth to a franchise like this is very very very strange to me.

I’m looking forward to Evolution: The Second Cycle about the tragic death of Julliane Moore to cancer from the Alien radiation and the son of her and duchovny must team up with Orlando Jones to defeat a alien virus that is trying to kill the whole town. Also Sean William Scott is an old crazy man who yells at the wall bc the whole event melted his brain or something. It’s absurd.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Did people here really not enjoy ghostbusters 2?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

CelticPredator posted:

I’m looking forward to Evolution: The Second Cycle about the tragic death of Julliane Moore to cancer from the Alien radiation and the son of her and duchovny must team up with Orlando Jones to defeat a alien virus that is trying to kill the whole town. Also Sean William Scott is an old crazy man who yells at the wall bc the whole event melted his brain or something.

Well, I wasn't! But now that you mention it...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

"Ghostbusters 2 is a thinly veiled rehash of the first where most of the cast very clearly does not want to be there" isn't exactly a hot take. Many people (myself included) still enjoy it but it's very much a lesser film.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Vigo is a better villain than Gozer and Janosh owns.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I enjoy Ghostbusters 2, I think it's a passable movie and it definitely has some great moments and lines, but it's just not remotely as good as the first. I loved the hell out of it as a kid though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astrochicken posted:

Ghostbusters II is not offensively awful by any sense, but it isn't good, either. It is an utterly soulless and shameless beat-for-beat remake of the original movie with a few pieces switched around. It is also hideously ugly (largely due to the film stock Michael Chapman used) and Randy Edelman's score is terrible. There are some unforgivable VFX shots, as well.

Basically, it's a movie that no one wanted to exist outside of the executives at Columbia Pictures, and it shows in the finished product. Sure, Peter MacNicol hams it up as Janosz, and there are some funny lines here and there, so it's enjoyable as background noise, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I can't speak for the film stock or anything like that, but I don't feel the score is terrible. The worst thing it has going for it is that it's not as memorable (to most) as Bernstein's was for the first movie and is merely serviceable. Sure, the whole thing could've used more of the ondes martenot (the theremin-like sound from the first, as well as Disney's The Black Cauldron), but everything Edelman does works well enough for the scene at hand.

It's fine if not good. It's just not Bernstein.