Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Big Beef City posted:

I feel like I'm being personally attacked for stating that the Beatles were a mass marketed pop item with zero substance and that people listening to them 60 years after the fact and trying to find relevance in them are the weird ones. But the thing is that I'm not wrong.

We get it, you resent your parents, literally everyone who makes this argument drills down to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I feel like I'm being personally attacked for stating that reese's peanut butter cups were a mass marketed food item with zero nutritional substance and that people eating them 60 years after the fact and trying to find deliciousness in it are the weird ones. But the thing is that I'm not wrong.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Big Beef City posted:

I feel like I'm being personally attacked for stating that the Beatles were a mass marketed pop item with zero substance and that people listening to them 60 years after the fact and trying to find relevance in them are the weird ones. But the thing is that I'm not wrong.

I mean you could always just "gently caress off" and let the "weird people" discuss the thing they like and not expect them to stop liking something because you personally aren't interested in it.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Just finished the last part.

So loving good, and as someone else noted, felt shorter than the 160 mins of No Time To Die.

Slip
Jan 20, 2001
I'm not

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Ringo rules. That’s all I’m getting from part 2

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Big Beef City posted:

Music is timeless bitch

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
wings paul is cocaine beatles
lennon ono is smack beatles
da rkhorse george is more acid beatles
ringo is gin for brekky daydrunk beatles

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
Wish there was a Yardbirds one instead

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's sad watching all the youtube rockist dork Beatles fans trapped in their tiny box of music as chord changes and literally nothing else.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's sad watching all the youtube rockist dork Beatles fans trapped in their tiny box of music as chord changes and literally nothing else.

i can't understand what you're saying

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think what they mean is that there’s a subset of Beatles/music fans/musicians that spend all their time analyzing the technical aspects of their music, gushing over how this or that chord change “brilliantly goes against conventional music theory” or some poo poo. When in reality it was mostly written just goofing off, or someone hit a wrong note by accident and thought it sounded cool. Basically just taking the human, fun, and spontaneous aspect out of the music.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Heath posted:

We get it, you resent your parents

That's a bit of a leap of faith just because I'm not a fan of a band.

Listen I can respect the fact that you collect pictures of asses and store them in jars in your closet and whisper to them at night. Me, personally saying 'I'm not a fan' doesn't detract from your joy of snapping pics of peoples asses and storing them in jars in your closet to whisper to at night. What I AM saying is that I don't like it, in equal regard to how much you do, it's called 'a discussion'. I'm sorry you're offended that I don't like taking pictures of peoples asses, putting them in jars, and whispering to them at night as much as you do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

for the love of god, shut the gently caress up

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

mycophobia posted:

name another band that put out that much above average material in a 7 year span. there is something special about the beatles, they aren't just randomly incredibly highly rated among both critics and casual listeners

I keep forgetting that their whole career was in the span of 7 years and that Abbey Road was created two years after Sgt. Peppers and not 5 or 6. Their output and how quickly they matured as musicians and songwriters is staggering.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Listen I can respect the fact that you collect pictures of asses and store them in jars in your closet and whisper to them at night. Me, personally saying 'I'm not a fan' doesn't detract from your joy of snapping pics of peoples asses and storing them in jars in your closet to whisper to at night. What I AM saying is that I don't like it, in equal regard to how much you do, it's called 'a discussion'. I'm sorry you're offended that I don't like taking pictures of peoples asses, putting them in jars, and whispering to them at night as much as you do.

I can't help but notice you don't deny that that's the reason.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Ringo rules. That’s all I’m getting from part 2

I'm still on part 1 and Ringo seems exactly like I envisioned Ringo being during recording/etc - just sort of there.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

cry baby cry

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

getting real beefy in here

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So Across the Universe, I Me Mine, The Long and Winding Road they just came in and played it for the band after writing the night before. Get Back was just made up on the spot, essentially, and iterated. It's fascinating.

I also love seeing the Abbey Road stuff worked on.

Edit - I guess it doesn't specify when McCartney and Lennon did theirs.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 4, 2021

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I, the music theory genius, am sad that people revel in the 32 bar form used across the entire spectrum of music from folk, to jazz, to blues, to pop, to showtunes

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Kaddish posted:

I'm still on part 1 and Ringo seems exactly like I envisioned Ringo being during recording/etc - just sort of there.

That’s why he rules. He also always shows up and is drama free.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i used to think Ringo was pretty unremarkable but the documentary makes it pretty clear his biggest talent is tolerating john and paul

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I found some old Dick Cavett interviews with George and John and they're pretty entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU4Cct2aov8

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
The Anthology tv show is worth skimming, too. Ringo keeps coming across as the one with the most common sense.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I just finished part 1, I wonder if George Harrison will come back?? NO SPOILERS.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kaddish posted:

I just finished part 1, I wonder if George Harrison will come back?? NO SPOILERS.

the rest of the documentary is the band repeatedly playing "Get Back" in his driveway until he caves

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
At the beginning of part 2 I wonder how much of that conversation between Lennon and McCartney was edited. It's clear at this point that The Beatles in 1969/1970 is McCartney's band and clearly Lennon and Harrison have an issue with it.

Lennon not as much, and he seems to be a bridge between the two.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 4, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I wonder if Epstein could have held them in check if he hadnt passed

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
everyone should listen to more Billy Preston

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
here comes the cum, do, do, do
here comes the cum
and I say it's all right over your loving face oh my god

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Back in '08 my housemate Akira got me a pretty sweet gig as a porter at the Parsippany UPS hub, like $20 an hour for basic janitorial work.

It coincided with my first Adderrall prescription which I would sell half of and then the other half I would crush and snort the orange dust into my nose holes in my Volkswagen Rabbit. 2nd gen iPod & those ~$25 Sony headphones. Sweep sweep sweep. This one time I went off just stream of conscious on Rocky Raccoon for like two hours and got super duper involved in changing the words and expanding the story and not stopping and lurid details about Lil and her man Dan and famous cuckold Rocky Raccoon. I wish I could remember some of it.

Also For No One and the sickly central jersey girl I would go down on but not deflower while waiting for the withholding psychopath I was actually in love with.

I still think it's hosed up what happened to John Lennon's son, Brandon Lee - critics are calling him the Lenny Kravitz of being Chinese.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

punishedkissinger posted:

I wonder if Epstein could have held them in check if he hadnt passed

Maybe, probably, but I think it was the right time for them to break up when they did.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

kntfkr posted:

Back in '08 my housemate Akira got me a pretty sweet gig as a porter at the Parsippany UPS hub, like $20 an hour for basic janitorial work.

It coincided with my first Adderrall prescription which I would sell half of and then the other half I would crush and snort the orange dust into my nose holes in my Volkswagen Rabbit. 2nd gen iPod & those ~$25 Sony headphones. Sweep sweep sweep. This one time I went off just stream of conscious on Rocky Raccoon for like two hours and got super duper involved in changing the words and expanding the story and not stopping and lurid details about Lil and her man Dan and famous cuckold Rocky Raccoon. I wish I could remember some of it.

Also For No One and the sickly central jersey girl I would go down on but not deflower while waiting for the withholding psychopath I was actually in love with.

I still think it's hosed up what happened to John Lennon's son, Brandon Lee - critics are calling him the Lenny Kravitz of being Chinese.

Going on a tangent about Rocky Raccoon is a rite of passage my friend.

I totally agree about Brandon Lee it's like, what the gently caress.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 4, 2021

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I wish thry would beatLESS hahahhaha :grin:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Nooner posted:

I wish thry would beatLESS hahahhaha :grin:

Episode 2 buddy hang in there. You OK? I get absolutely dipped with the Beatles to be frank.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

get smacked
get smacked
get smacked and know where you belong

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

hey lets try and not joke about DV on a site created by a serial domestic abuser maybe

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

hey lets try and not joke about DV on a site created by a serial domestic abuser maybe

Lol what. Can we talk about Ringo picking up Pauls bass and has NO clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I dunno seems like a perfect place to remind people that the Beatles hit their wives instead of trying to whitewash their history.