Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Chainsaw Man is great and remains the only shounen series I've read that I've really enjoyed, but like a lot of series I kind of felt the last arc was really convoluted and contrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

drat caught up with chainsaw man and alita

Anyone got any good violent crazy mangas to recommend?

Claymore

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Chainsaw Man is great and remains the only shounen series I've read that I've really enjoyed, but like a lot of series I kind of felt the last arc was really convoluted and contrived.

Yeah the earlier bits are better where its demon fights then the downtime is the MC and Power being absolute trash people and annoying the straight man cool guy.

I also kinda liked how the MC was a horndog but also he's learning about relationships like a real teen.
Not to have drunken sex with someone you don't actually like, that it's OK to not be into every hot girl you have a friendship with, that you can fancy two people at once etc.
It wasn't mind blowing but I feel like there's a lot of incels for whom this is good info

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
yu yu hakusho holds up

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Kinda, but I thought the resolution was both incredible and also incredibly ridiculous. Finding out exactly what happened and why it worked and it making complete sense within both the setting and for Denji's character makes it a masterpiece

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Kit Walker posted:

Kinda, but I thought the resolution was both incredible and also incredibly ridiculous. Finding out exactly what happened and why it worked and it making complete sense within both the setting and for Denji's character makes it a masterpiece

I'd say it was convoluted but never contrived. Everything that happens makes sense, it's just that the pacing gets thrown off because it's all sort of happening at once. The bits leading up to the final confrontation didn't really feel like the final confrontation was happening. It's just like, oh I guess that was the climax. The bit at the end about the Control Devil especially comes out of left field - even if it does make a sort of sense - and it's just immediately over. There needed to be more to the falling action, and especially a little more time with Denji & the Control Devil.

Still absolutely incredible. Can't wait for the next part.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

christmas boots posted:

So that's Stardust Crusaders (part 3) and it's probably the most famous part - especially in the west. Like nowadays that's not especially true especially since the anime helped make it mainstream but back in the day (when the manga wasn't even getting translated over here) it was the part that got some exposure. It was also neat when it came out because it introduced Stands and instead of doing a traditional tournament arc like everyone was it did a whole globe-trottingt thing.

Now that the years have gone on and the novelty has worn off, it's probably aged the least gracefully. There's nothing it does that another part doesn't do better, and between later arcs and things that were inspired by it, pretty much everything good that did work has since been refined and improved upon.

If you ever feel like giving it another shot, I would suggest either Part 1+2 (Part 1 is really short, like 8 or 9 episodes and with Part 2 it only totals about 26 so watching them together is like a normal 2-cours show) because those are weird and goofy and Part 2 is dumb in the best way, or Part 4 where the Stand powers are more interesting than the the kind of boring/generic lineup from part 3.

E: none of them are really great about having strong female characters except for the new one

Compared to the parts of season 1 I managed to sit through it's great because it's so over the top yet self aware. Season 1 just reads like a bad show, but Stardust Crusaders or whatever is cleary bad on purpose.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

yu yu hakusho holds up
Its true

Serf
May 5, 2011

the part in chainsaw man where makima namedrops the holocaust and the government guy is like "what are you talking about?" and you begin to realize what is going on is, imo loving masterful writing. i was floored while reading it

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Serf posted:

the part in chainsaw man where makima namedrops the holocaust and the government guy is like "what are you talking about?" and you begin to realize what is going on is, imo loving masterful writing. i was floored while reading it

Finding out that there used to be other states of being that humans could achieve other than death, but not anymore because those concepts are gone now was also cool as hell

NyaNyaMeister
Dec 4, 2021

Bruh-nyuu~

I am from this
stupid country :eurovision:
currently reading Great Teacher Onizuka.

Got up to the part where Urumi is exposed as a girl that was born in-vitro with a genius sperm, which is why she is mega smart and she goes off the rails by creating a website for the girl that exposed her, featuring a bunch of videos of the girl sleeping, going to the toilet, getting changed etc. all filmed by secret cameras in her house

Oh yeah, Onizuka also got a PS2 to watch some pron but the fire sprinklers kicked in and now the PS is toast.

Current mood: https://vimeo.com/921220930

Thank you Heather Papps for the awesome sig

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
The official TMS channel have been uploading some older Lupin III episodes and shits wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-G5DH4wQQo

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just remembered the movie Patema Inverted.

Cool movie I will recommend to my pals ITT

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Shigurui is right up your alley and also has a partial anime adaptation that's pretty good.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

I just binged through season 1 of Hellper, which is kind of like Dorohedoro lite. Only season 1 has been translated from Korean, though, but it's a solid arc.

Speaking of, also go read Dorohedoro.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Every chapter of rent a girlfriend is more unbearable than the last and progresses the story by mere molecules gently caress this comic

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The whole premise of Rent a Girlfriend is completely insane and skeevy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
What about the spinoff where the girlfriend is shy, is that one any good?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

do they gently caress in this manga?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The whole premise of Rent a Girlfriend is completely insane and skeevy.

What if I told you it was a real thing?

https://japantoday.com/category/features/lifestyle/renting-a-girlfriend-in-japan-relationship-goals-or-just-plain-awkward

https://soranews24.com/2015/05/19/we-tried-tokyos-rent-a-middle-aged-japanese-man-service-and-it-was-awesome/ I like this one too.

christmas boots has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Dec 8, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's not even the concept of a person you pay to pretend to be your girlfriend that's so off putting, it's the guy falling in love with his fake girlfriend while they continuously go around in a will they won't they circle while a harem cast gets trapped in their orbit.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
those services have got to be fulfilled by people who took on usurious loans to buy iphones right?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

When's that Chainsaw Man anime supposed to be coming out?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jymmybob posted:

Shigurui is right up your alley and also has a partial anime adaptation that's pretty good.

yeah

it's about how the samurai were spiritually mutilated. how do we communicate this in a visual medium? well, how about through a lot of physical mutilation. also maybe a dude could suck his own dick? just spitballing here.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can I get a dumb dumb explainer for chainsaw man because I think I missed all that

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

theres this man, alright? and hes made of chainsaws

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

HootTheOwl posted:

Can I get a dumb dumb explainer for chainsaw man because I think I missed all that
The elevator pitch is it's set in a world where everything that scares people has a specific devil that's powered by all that psychic energy, and the protagonist ends up possessed by the chainsaw devil and gets recruited into a government agency full of people that make literal deals with devils for power to fight the ones that are running wild. But outside of that basic setup it's extremely weird and cool to look at and a bunch of people are deeply in love with certain members of the cast. It ran in Jump for two years and ended* while still very popular and everyone wants to see it look cool in motion.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's about how guns are scary and sometimes you just want a burger

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a man who fused with the chainsaw devil so his head turns into a chainsaw

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's about how guns are scary and sometimes you just want a burger

Extremely relatable.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
From the premise Chainsaw Man sounds like the 3564855th manga about a quasi secret organization of doofuses who hunt demons/ghosts/Yokai or whatever using the the monsters own powers. But it’s got this kind of I don’t know, cynical?, avant-garde surrealism to it (I’ll add more buzzwords later) that makes it the only shonen fightan’ manga I’ve been into since I was as teenager.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

galagazombie posted:

From the premise Chainsaw Man sounds like the 3564855th manga about a quasi secret organization of doofuses who hunt demons/ghosts/Yokai or whatever using the the monsters own powers. But it’s got this kind of I don’t know, cynical?, avant-garde surrealism to it (I’ll add more buzzwords later) that makes it the only shonen fightan’ manga I’ve been into since I was as teenager.

It has a similar vibe to Dorohedoro I feel, kinda like what if Dorohedoro was shonen, if that makes any sense.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chainsaw Man caught people off guard because it's a shonen that feels like a seinen. It feels like it was written by an adult who's lived a real social life instead of just being adventure fluff for teens. The easiest way to get the difference is to compare Chainsaw Man to Jujutsu Kaisen.

Jujutsu Kaisen is definitely fine. It's good action stuff for teens, but it doesn't really break new ground the way Chainsaw Man did.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
No I red chainsaw man when it came out but I missed a lot of these great moments you're all talking about in spoiler tags and I'm not understand/remembering them because the ending was very compact and a lot of things happened at once

Serf
May 5, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

No I red chainsaw man when it came out but I missed a lot of these great moments you're all talking about in spoiler tags and I'm not understand/remembering them because the ending was very compact and a lot of things happened at once

it's been a minute since i read it but as i understand it makima was the devil of control all along, and was puppeteering events so that she could use denji/the chainsaw devil to take out other devils and essentially remake the universe. because any devil killed by the chainsaw devil is just straight up dead forever, which removes the thing that caused it to exist irl in the past, present and future all at once. so at some point in the past before the chainsaw devil peaced out and got reduced down to what fused with denji, he had killed things like the devils of the holocaust, aids and nuclear weapons

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm not caught up on Chainsaw Man but my take on it is that it gets you in with the promise of hyper violence, which it has in spades and is very good. But the actual heart of the story is about these people who know that they are going to die soon, and the conflict between wanting to stay apart from others so it doesn't hurt as much when they lose people and wanting to make connections with people because that's the only thing that makes life worth living and it's the only thing they can leave behind when they die

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
The best part about chainsaw man is that it actually ends and in a world where you have stuff that runs 5+ and just turns into poo poo thats a big plus. Very good art as well gives me Miura vibes, a lot of wide panel stark scenes

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

ranking of kings is very fun a+ it vaguely feels like an anime i could show my parents and they’d be like “oh this is like old stories” like they mysteriously said about howl’s moving castle

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
lol the netflix bebop got cancelled after one month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Terminal autist posted:

The best part about chainsaw man is that it actually ends and in a world where you have stuff that runs 5+ and just turns into poo poo thats a big plus. Very good art as well gives me Miura vibes, a lot of wide panel stark scenes

It ended twice though. The penultimate chapter could very well have been the very last chapter if they wanted to, leaving a few loose ends. The actual last chapter leaves a door open for a brand new part with the potential of closing those loose ends.

I dont know if it was chainsaw mans author that said death should come unexpectedly for it to have an impact in the story but boy does he adhere to that. When other shonen authors do it, it sometimes feels like they are putting checkmarks on a quota sometimes with rando characters that hadn't been a proper part of the story in forever if at all. But in chainsaw man it legitimately felt like the author denied you the time to process it not once but twice with the same character