Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How does the Blue Period anime compare to the manga? I haven't read, but I was inclined toward the anime just because I image color would help it.
people that started with the manga generally feel down on it to varying degrees, while those who started with the anime think it's a compelling show with compelling characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Red Minjo posted:

The base game Himehina song was the first one I perfected (on easy mode) in Groove Coaster Wai Wai Party for the Nintendo Switch, and that's what I know about them. Oh also the English language closed captions on the music video for that song are some of the best I've seen on a Youtube video, I also know that.
theyre funny, their videos are mercifully short + a shocking number of their videos have english subs considering how little of an audience they have in the west. also you dont look like a weirdo when you post himehina videos. i highly recommend it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeRC0XQo2Zw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How does the Blue Period anime compare to the manga? I haven't read, but I was inclined toward the anime just because I image color would help it.

id describe the anime as a mediocre adaptation of strong material. its still decent but it doesnt really even attempt to improve on the material and there's several points where it comes across a little lifeless. the material's strong enough that it's still good but id recommend the manga over it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't cry for Kizuna AI, she's already looking into shilling NFTs

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

id describe the anime as a mediocre adaptation of strong material. its still decent but it doesnt really even attempt to improve on the material and there's several points where it comes across a little lifeless. the material's strong enough that it's still good but id recommend the manga over it.
It's probably just me being jaded, but these days I find that I'd much rather watch OVA/ONA than any adaptation as the source material is almost always better.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't the original quit like, years back?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The company thought they could recast her because they thought it was the character people liked, but they brought her back when people complained and then there were like five of them, I don't know much after that.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam is directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino, and not Yasuhiro Imagawa, so no.

hmmm but do i still get a gold star for watching it for different reasons

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's probably just me being jaded, but these days I find that I'd much rather watch OVA/ONA than any adaptation as the source material is almost always better.

there are definitely adaptations that elevate the material. most of kyoani's work comes to mind, demon slayer too. id say new game s2 also did a good job turning a 4koma with hints of narrative into a proper story.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

there are definitely adaptations that elevate the material. most of kyoani's work comes to mind, demon slayer too. id say new game s2 also did a good job turning a 4koma with hints of narrative into a proper story.
It's good that there are exceptions to the rule.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean i dont think its really a rule with exceptions, its just a thing that is or isnt.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

she was ahead of the game, she already had her own cryptocurrency like 4 years ago

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

are you sure you know what an ona is, because blue period is one (because it's made for netflix, a web platform)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

audio adds a lot to anything for me so my bar for an anime adaptation being preferable to the manga is low. and I'm never going to read an LN in my life so those might as well be original anime

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

are you sure you know what an ona is, because blue period is one (because it's made for netflix, a web platform)
As far as I remember from back in the mid-to-late 2000s when they became popular (ie. with things like Candy Boy), it means Original Net Animation, meaning it's something that's published on the internet first, and not an adaptation of something existing.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 4, 2021

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

As far as I remember from back in the mid-to-late 2000s when they became popular (ie. with things like Candy Boy), it means Original Net Animation, meaning it's something that's published on the internet first, and not an adaptation of something existing.

original doesn't mean what you think it means. it's an original animation, it says nothing about the source. that's why netflix exclusive anime are all considered onas, even if they're manga adaptations like blue period

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

Didn't the original quit like, years back?
she never quit and was never replaced, its been the same person the whole time. what did happen was they had four distinct kizuna ais for some reason and it was impossible to tell who was who, and also they had a kizuna ai debut concert in china that people showed up to discover was, a different kizuna ai that was fluent in chinese. it pissed everyone off and completely hosed her over to the point that ultimately her agency dissolved, the original voice actress behind kizuna ai came out to promise people that she was not being replaced, they formed a new production company that she has some kind of stake in, and two of the kizuna ais got spun off into their own characters and stopped doing kizuna ai impressions. total trainwreck

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ONA just means it's released directly to streaming and not on TV, doesn't have anything to do with whether it's an original script or an adaptation.

it's kind of a nebulous idea in the first place if you don't live in Japan where TV anime is actually on TV

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

original doesn't mean what you think it means. it's an original animation, it says nothing about the source. that's why netflix exclusive anime are all considered onas, even if they're manga adaptations like blue period
Maybe its definition has changed since then, that's perfectly possible and just a form of linguistic drift - but that only highlights the need for another way to distinguish between things that are adaptations of existing works and things that aren't.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 4, 2021

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Enjoyed Hathaway. I really liked the animation of the opening scenes of the shuttle descending to earth and the scene where we approach the hotel. I know that this was just a movie but man, I can't imagine a budget where a whole series was animated in this way. It would be amazing. Regarding the humanity aspect of the movie, I regret not knowing the backstory behind the characters as I think that maybe it would have helped me enjoy the movie more than I did though I did enjoy the movie a lot.

Gonna try and get through the first 10 episodes of Gundam G soon but man there are a lot of Gundam available on Netflix.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 4, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

no, its always meant that. theres lots of 80s ovas that were awful one episode manga adaptations for too much money

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
adaptation, is the word used to distinguish, between original and adaptation

i dont even understand where this comes from because lots of 80s and 90s ovas, were adaptations

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Some of the best work I've watched have been things that aren't adaptations, because when people working on something aren't adapting something, they're more willing to take risks.
To see this, look no further than Satoshi Kons last work which was animated by Madhouse and published on the Ani*Kuri15 compilation disc, or basically anything that's come out under the Japan Animator Expo series over the years.

homeless snail posted:

no, its always meant that. theres lots of 80s ovas that were awful one episode manga adaptations for too much money
It's not how I or any of the friends that I talk about anime with with use it. :shrug:

The Colonel posted:

adaptation, is the word used to distinguish, between original and adaptation

i dont even understand where this comes from because lots of 80s and 90s ovas, were adaptations
Sure, I get that that's the word for it - but not even AniDB (which has by far the best filtering options, out of all of the ones that exist for keeping track of what you've watched) has a way of filtering for it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

going to watch my favorite OVA, eureka seven

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

be careful out there, it starts with a Netflix sub but soon you may find yourself falling down the onahole

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
stop

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

Gonna try and get through the first 10 episodes of Gundam G soon but man there are a lot of Gundam available on Netflix.
most of the stuff on netflix is UC, the thing that hathaways flash follows up on, if you want to watch more of that. i honestly like the 0079 compilation movies more than the original series. char's counterattack is very good also but is extremely, the kind of gundam thats two people talking to each other

i think all of g gundam might be on youtube on the official gundam channel, if you still just want to watch robots punching each other

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

do not, under any circumstances, watch the zeta compilation movies though. i dont know if theyre on netflix or not, dont watch them

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i am ova this discussion

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

homeless snail posted:

she never quit and was never replaced, its been the same person the whole time. what did happen was they had four distinct kizuna ais for some reason and it was impossible to tell who was who, and also they had a kizuna ai debut concert in china that people showed up to discover was, a different kizuna ai that was fluent in chinese. it pissed everyone off and completely hosed her over to the point that ultimately her agency dissolved, the original voice actress behind kizuna ai came out to promise people that she was not being replaced, they formed a new production company that she has some kind of stake in, and two of the kizuna ais got spun off into their own characters and stopped doing kizuna ai impressions. total trainwreck

Idk if it was this way in the beginning as I don’t remember, but they used different hair clips to signify the different ais. It was probably after the controversy though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah that was after, that's also when they started calling the clones love-chan and aipii

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I cant log in to FFXIV. Too many people. :smith:

Is Shimoneta any good or are there any shows like it? In the mood for some dumb potty humor and bum jokes.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Death and Rebirth of Kizuna Ai

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Kizuna Ai: announces Non-Fungible Token project
Amelia Watson: announces Non-Fungullible Ame Tokens Which is just claiming an Ame picture on Twitter with a hashtag

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Not a Flesh 'Tuber

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Is Shimoneta any good or are there any shows like it? In the mood for some dumb potty humor and bum jokes.
shimoneta is good, also watch, and read, seitokai yakuindomo

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
though much rarer, back in the 90's we had OLAs as well. there was in fact anime that got released to laserdisc before VHS, or only laserdisc.

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 5, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shimoneta is perfectly Okay

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stink Billyums posted:

though much rarer, back in the 90's we had OLAs as well. there was in fact anime that got released to laserdisc before VHS, or only laserdisc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

I really enjoyed it, but it's definitely stronger in it's fist half imo. It's not quite the same vibe, but panty & stocking with garterbelt is another fun, dumb crude potty humor show. I personally prefer the subs for P&SwG, but a lot of people like the dub, so either is fine based on your preference.