Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

How do people feel about macallan 12 double cask?
I saw it at Costco and got excited and bought 5 bottles.
Quite excited to try it once I get rid of this cold.

IMO their sherry cask is the way to go but it's now priced so stupidly high that I don't ever actually buy any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
I'm a retail store owner. Some scotch prices are in the process of taking HUGE price increases right now.

Here is a notification I just got:

Abelour 16: $14 increase
Abelour 18: $15 increase

poo poo's wild.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wraith_5_ posted:

I'm a retail store owner. Some scotch prices are in the process of taking HUGE price increases right now.

Here is a notification I just got:

Abelour 16: $14 increase
Abelour 18: $15 increase

poo poo's wild.

I'm not surprised Aberlour 18 is getting a bump, it's been priced below equivalent competition for as long as I have been paying attention

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Vox Nihili posted:

IMO their sherry cask is the way to go but it's now priced so stupidly high that I don't ever actually buy any.

I actually really like the Triple Cask/Fine Oak 12 also, but definitely there's a reason the Sherry is so much more expensive than the other 12 year options.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Nimmy posted:

I actually really like the Triple Cask/Fine Oak 12 also, but definitely there's a reason the Sherry is so much more expensive than the other 12 year options.

They literally make the sherry, barrel it, and then dump it in the garbage for those first fill casks (some of it goes to be made for vinegar)
No one drinks sherry

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What, you mean I bought all these puffy-sleeved tunics for nothing??

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

*Looks at my several bottles of amontillado*

Don't worry, I would never pour you out.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Speaking of sherry, this article is a good overview about what "sherry cask" means in the whisky world. Just saw it on my feed yesterday.
https://malt-review.com/2021/12/03/a-whisky-beginners-guide-to-sherry-casks/

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

KozmoNaut posted:

*Looks at my several bottles of amontillado*

Don't worry, I would never pour you out.

You know, I have recently purchased some myself but I'm not sure if it is legitimate. Will you come taste it to assure me it is real?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Went to the Stranahan’s Snowflake release thing yesterday, kind of fun but was mostly just waiting in assorted lines for about 10 hours. Came home with four 2020’s and four 2021’s signed by the head distiller. Keeping most of them but are there any top reselling websites these days? There are a ton up on the Denver Craigslist already.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

You know, I have recently purchased some myself but I'm not sure if it is legitimate. Will you come taste it to assure me it is real?

Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey finished in sherry casks from Montresor's cellar

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nth Doctor posted:

:vince:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Goddammit I was really looking forward to making a Cask of Amontillado joke! :argh:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm not on board the Buffalo Trace hype train, but a liquor store here just released a single barrel pick and it's goddamn delicious. Especially cuz it's priced at $28.

:edit: :toot: I was just able to nab a bottle of EH Taylor Single Barrel at MSRP.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 7, 2021

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Well, I'm a loving idiot. I was wondering why my Laphroaig was a hundred bucks instead of fifty. I accidentally bought the cask strength version. No wonder I got so hosed up that night. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Or are you?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

laphroaig quarter cask is great imo, if that’s what you picked up

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Green Spot: tasted like a fine but unremarkable Irish

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Rye: like if JD made a rye. I expected more and think it’s inferior to their single barrel bourbon

Kentucky Owl: decent but not worth the secondary price

Brenne: aged in cognac casks, tastes like a dessert wine. Really interesting but strictly speaking not good

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Hauki posted:

laphroaig quarter cask is great imo, if that’s what you picked up

There's also a cask strength edition. I think it's just the regular 10 but CS.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Josh Lyman posted:

Green Spot: tasted like a fine but unremarkable Irish

I get some really interesting smells and flavors from my bottle of Green Spot — coconut and lime and something else tropical. Notes that I’ve never picked up in any other Irish.

I like Yellow Spot better though, lots and lots of buttery vanilla shortbread. Probably my favorite Irish after Red Breast 21, not that I can afford either regularly.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Cask Strength Laphroaig is so, so much better than the standard 10. It's not even in the same zipcode.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lawen posted:

I get some really interesting smells and flavors from my bottle of Green Spot — coconut and lime and something else tropical. Notes that I’ve never picked up in any other Irish.

I like Yellow Spot better though, lots and lots of buttery vanilla shortbread. Probably my favorite Irish after Red Breast 21, not that I can afford either regularly.

I've always found Green Spot to have green apples, coconut and wintergreen. Pretty fresh flavors.

Try the Redbreast 12 cask strength if you can, it is also in a league of its own.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

spankmeister posted:

I've always found Green Spot to have green apples, coconut and wintergreen. Pretty fresh flavors.

Try the Redbreast 12 cask strength if you can, it is also in a league of its own.

I have a bottle of regular Red Breast 12 and it’s great but haven’t tried the cask strength. I’ll definitely check it out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Red Breast 12 Cask Strength is in my top 5 of whiskies I've tasted. Just delightful.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

KozmoNaut posted:

Red Breast 12 Cask Strength is in my top 5 of whiskies I've tasted. Just delightful.

Yeah I think it's great too. I've found Irish whiskies to be underwhelming overall but that one is an incredible dram.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

There's also a cask strength edition. I think it's just the regular 10 but CS.

cool, I'll have to try that, I've liked pretty much every cask thing I've had from them

same with the Redbreast, that's one I haven't tried yet but I think Costco had it here last winter

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Quick public service announcement
Recent Barrell Single Barrel store picks with "distilled in Kentucky" on the label (6-8 years age stated) are Willett distillate and comparable to purple top Willett bourbon around the same age statement
The one I got is fantastic, and I'm really struggling to hold myself from getting another of these

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Quick public service announcement
Recent Barrell Single Barrel store picks with "distilled in Kentucky" on the label (6-8 years age stated) are Willett distillate and comparable to purple top Willett bourbon around the same age statement
The one I got is fantastic, and I'm really struggling to hold myself from getting another of these

I tried a sample of one of these Wednesday (currently shopping for barrel picks) and my goodness it was great. I got to try the entire Barrel lineup too, they make some really interesting stuff. Some I loved, like Dovetail.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

wraith_5_ posted:

I tried a sample of one of these Wednesday (currently shopping for barrel picks) and my goodness it was great. I got to try the entire Barrel lineup too, they make some really interesting stuff. Some I loved, like Dovetail.

All three of their named finishes are fantastic, I think Seagrass is the best and one of my favorite whiskeys this year
Some of their single barrel finish releases are bonkers as well, like the cognac ones

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Deceptive Thinker posted:

All three of their named finishes are fantastic, I think Seagrass is the best and one of my favorite whiskeys this year
Some of their single barrel finish releases are bonkers as well, like the cognac ones

Dovetail and Seagrass are both incredibly well done. I didn't love the Armida. I didn't love their single malt, but I'm still acquiring my taste for scotch and scotch-like whiskeys.

Some of their single barrel offerings are indeed bonkers, and I'd love to use them for a store pick. Im just a little concerned about their price point. My store can generally handle higher end products but 85-90 retail price is a lot for a 750 of bourbon.

I love what the company is doing and hope we see more folks trying their style of making booze.

I will say, trying 10+ cask strength whiskeys and then eating jalepeno pizza after leads to a BAD time haha.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Sorry to Kramer in here. But one of my friends (I live in Europe) is a real basic bitch and has literally said that if I get him a bottle of 'Pappy van Winkle' he will rename his firstborn after me. This is no joke, his wife is the one who suggested it. I cannot stress enough how basic my friend is but the fact remains if I bring him a bottle of Pappy van Winkle, I will have a child named after me, of a different gender nonetheless. I have an enormous ego so this is something I'd really like. Anyway, I'm just curious what my options are out there. I probably should have come to you guys sooner, but I've been busy. Sorry if this question is out of line, btw, but I am just sort of casting lines around to basically anyone I know who even remotely enjoys whiskey.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Time to get yourself to every single liquor store within like 100 miles and hope they have a raffle going for allocated bottles

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If your ego is that big, just buy one on the secondary market.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Plenty floating around stores and secondary for 2 grand

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Buy an empty bottle off ebay and fill it with whatever ransom wheated bourbon you can find

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Have your own kid and name them after yourself while you drink

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Sorry to interrupt weird child abuse chat but I just wanted to say I'm having the last dram of a bottle of Rare Breed and I think I liked it best just adding a few drops to beer. It made some otherwise pretty ordinary bottles (or cans) very nice.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

Sorry to interrupt weird child abuse chat but I just wanted to say I'm having the last dram of a bottle of Rare Breed and I think I liked it best just adding a few drops to beer. It made some otherwise pretty ordinary bottles (or cans) very nice.

:thunk:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

From child abuse to alcohol abuse. This page is hopefully soon forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Quiet Feet posted:

:cheers: :bighow: