Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

DTurtle posted:

If you pause an episode, you can access extra X-Ray content. Depending on the device, those animations are among that bonus content. I think the animations only appear on the Amazon website. They are not available on a Smart TV.

Also, supposedly Padan Fain can be heard in Shaddar Loggoth in Episode 2?

Yeah it’s not there on Apple TV. There’s an X-ray with a caret when I pause that can’t seem to be interacted with. Swiping up just scrubs along the video. Up does nothing.

If I open the app on my phone, go into X-ray there, and try steaming to the TV, it tells me I can’t play bonus content when streaming to external devices o.O (??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Honestly it's the "in the shadow of the White Tower" part that is a little troublesome. You'd have to think that the Tinkers would have mentioned to someone...probably an Aes Sedai...that Whitecloaks are kidnapping people right outside Tar Valon, and Egwene sounds like a girl who's coming to the Tower for training, so the Aes Sedai have every reason in the world to get in there and bust some heads. Hell, just send some Warders and the Tower Guard if you don't want to risk a Three Oaths violation.

But....on the other hand, having Egwene and Perrin get out of it because of their own abilities does make for better storytelling, show Valda's obsessed with killing any women who can channel so lurking outside of Tar Valon and picking off stray girls who can channel or unwary Aes Sedai for a little while then running off before having to face retribution is something he might be able to get away with.

So, while I can quibble with the situation, I don't find it to be an immersion breaker.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I...think they meant courtier?

Correct

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Quite! Most folks would assume you meant the other definition. :v:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
OP is probably a time traveler and not familiar with the modern definition.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

alcaras posted:

Yeah it’s not there on Apple TV. There’s an X-ray with a caret when I pause that can’t seem to be interacted with. Swiping up just scrubs along the video. Up does nothing.

If I open the app on my phone, go into X-ray there, and try steaming to the TV, it tells me I can’t play bonus content when streaming to external devices o.O (??)

Someone upthread posted a Youtube link to them. I have no idea why it's up to some rando to collect them and Amazon's not doing it on their own drat Youtube channel, but there you are.

Edit: Nevermind! I just saw that your post was in response to someone posting this exact youtube link lol. Well I guess here they are for the next page!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Perrin didn't murk Valda right then when he had the chance.

There's your impact.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I'm probably in the minority in being satisfied with Fain's ending in the books. I always took it more as a sign that the pattern was accounting for the Dark One and with Rand planning to kill the current one, it had another on standby.

If they play up that angle in the show, that the Dark One is a literally necessary evil, I think it would work well as is.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

MajorBonnet posted:

I'm probably in the minority in being satisfied with Fain's ending in the books. I always took it more as a sign that the pattern was accounting for the Dark One and with Rand planning to kill the current one, it had another on standby.

If they play up that angle in the show, that the Dark One is a literally necessary evil, I think it would work well as is.

Same. Also, him dying there is probably what leads to the pattern being thin enough to bore through whenever the second age rolls around again. Sure, he went down like a punk. He was always convinced he was the real bad guy despite mostly being an inconvenience to the good guys so he died like he lived.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rafe. i know you're reading my posts, rafe. you can become a legend if you simply make moiraine and liandrin former lovers and have moiraine hook up with siuan later in the show. siuan also has to live. it's simple, rafe judkins.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MajorBonnet posted:

This would actually own.

I really didn't like Rand's confrontation TDO, because the whole "evil must exist for there to be good" felt like it came completely out of nowhere. Evil is mostly portrayed as some horrible corrupting influence (like Mashadar, or the Taint), something that's inherently bad. And the sudden thing about how people must be free to choose between good and evil felt really un-earned, given that I can't think of any moments where we saw someone properly choosing one over the other, or an evil person being redeemed. It especially doesn't work with 90% of the evil characters literally surrendering their free-will to Satan with magic oaths.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Reading Lord of Chaos and just got to the part where Nyaeve accidently just loving around heals Logain.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And the sudden thing about how people must be free to choose between good and evil felt really un-earned, given that I can't think of any moments where we saw someone properly choosing one over the other, or an evil person being redeemed.

Ingtar? He's probably the best example of a Darkfriend making the choice to return to the Light shown.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Does Verin count?

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Ya'll think they will switch actors when Siuan and Leane (if she's in the show) get stilled, or will they drop that entire plotline.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the ageless look isn't even a thing in the show so i don't know why they would switch people or even bring up anything about them looking younger or not

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

ad090 posted:

Ya'll think they will switch actors when Siuan and Leane (if she's in the show) get stilled, or will they drop that entire plotline.

They'll force the actors to get plastic surgery, obv.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gully Foyle posted:

Ingtar? He's probably the best example of a Darkfriend making the choice to return to the Light shown.

I can't remember anything about him (been about 8 years since I read these things) and a quick check on his wiki tells me he's the only example, if we don't count Verin and her Warder.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I can't remember anything about him (been about 8 years since I read these things) and a quick check on his wiki tells me he's the only example, if we don't count Verin and her Warder.

fain rejected the dark one too

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lord of Chaos is pretty good so far there's not been a lot of action though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

Lord of Chaos is pretty good so far there's not been a lot of action though.

quoting this for lmaos later

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

ad090 posted:

Drop it entirely. No ageless faces in the show so there's nothing to change. In my opinion the whole changing appearance so drastically that no one recognized them was silly as hell. You'd think the Tower would have records of stilled Aes Sedai and the effect on appearance, not to mention those who burn themselves out.

Edit: By drop it entirely, I mean keep the stilling because Nynaeve Healing them is a super emotional scene that would work really well. Just drop the whole suddenly Siuan looks like shes 20 again thing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hexel posted:

Correct

Courtier still implies at least a lower tier of nobility, perhaps including servant status.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Thinking about Fain, I think the show could make him more interesting by turning him ta'veren as well. While the joke is that it means protagonist, lorewise, it's someone the pattern is swirling around. If he's the candidate for replacement big evil guy, I'd say he fits. If you establish a subtle visual cue for ta'veren shaping the pattern, you can play off that to show that the pattern throws him away when Rand leaves Shai'tan alive, which the book shows by having him die like it's nothing.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 4, 2021

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Hang on, in the establishing shot of Rand and Mat seeing Tar Valon, Dragonmount is on the far side.

That means they're on the eastern bank of the river. When they've travelled from the west.

This show is awful!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Umbra Dubium posted:

Hang on, in the establishing shot of Rand and Mat seeing Tar Valon, Dragonmount is on the far side.

That means they're on the eastern bank of the river. When they've travelled from the west.

This show is awful!

Immersion ruined, I'm out. :mad:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Soysaucebeast posted:

Someone upthread posted a Youtube link to them. I have no idea why it's up to some rando to collect them and Amazon's not doing it on their own drat Youtube channel, but there you are.

Edit: Nevermind! I just saw that your post was in response to someone posting this exact youtube link lol. Well I guess here they are for the next page!

Yeah, the audio feels really off on the youtube versions (hard to understand the voice over)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

quoting this for lmaos later

I can't wait for the reaction at the end. I hope the makes it that far.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Umbra Dubium posted:

This show is awful!

They clearly met Bayle Domon off-screen and rode a boat part of the way there. :colbert:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've been bitchin hard how Amazon is letting the show down with how obtuse X-Ray and the shorts are and pretty much everyone is agreeing.

Here's our boy DG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RB-OcwdqZk

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

DTurtle posted:

Here is a Youtube playlist with the animated shorts in pretty good quality:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-FYNfmZsp-j_SwKC830_S2nU7MDZDNEm

I have to say, they are really, really good.

No idea how long it will stay up, so take a look :)

really like Saidin, Saidar, Stone. these remind me of drew tucker at points

Brolander fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 5, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm really hoping that the mods start crushing the idiots discussing the books in the non-book thread.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jedit posted:

I'm really hoping that the mods start crushing the idiots discussing the books in the non-book thread.

It never ends

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"Sure, other book adaptations in TV IV have had horrible threads but we are different. We've learned from the mistakes of others. We will be better"

But nevertheless

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I especially loved the dude named Ishamael who just basically talked about the books

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

probation = killed, to be spun out in another life during another turn of the wheel

ban = balefire

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Quite! Most folks would assume you meant the other definition. :v:

Especially since the "modern" definition has been the primary definition since like 1550.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I literally just got to a part with Rand arguing with Lewis Therin about how balefire solves everything. He's arguing because he wants to save one of the maidens and is considering using balefire.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

it gets drains so clean you’d think they were never clogged in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

DTurtle posted:

Here is a Youtube playlist with the animated shorts in pretty good quality:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-FYNfmZsp-j_SwKC830_S2nU7MDZDNEm

I have to say, they are really, really good.

No idea how long it will stay up, so take a look :)

These keep getting taken down before I get a chance to watch them! :(