Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's pretty much the formula that gives us Taskmaster NZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Imagine mortimer,sally phillips,mel giedroyc,claudia winkleman and either rod or paul chowdry.

Perfect.

Get Wozniak in there too and you've got yourself a deal.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Aphex- posted:

Get Wozniak in there too and you've got yourself a deal.

True true.

“It’s an absolute casserole down there”.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Just finished season 11, Wozniak killed me - do we have a thread for 11, incidentally?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That will all have been in the UKTV thread I think, the separate Taskmaster thread is a relatively new institution.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Started watching this show as a way of decompressing after work and I've been enjoying it, but I'm hoping later seasons don't drop substantially in quality, because the final episode is one of the standout bits of viewing I've had all year. I think every season has had a particular line that sticks out to me as a highlight, but season 5 had several up up until the end where Mortimer takes it by belting out "Rosalind is a loving nightmare".

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 5, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Where are you up to? IMO 7 is peak TM following a weaker S6. S10 is bottom tier; it was the first under lockdown plus a lot of the task setting was badly judged. S11 and 12 are better.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

I've been watching quite a lot of Bad Golf recently and am surprised that John Robins hasn't made an appearance on TM yet.

As is John Robins if you listen to his various podcasts.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Hi folks. Can report back from the Croatian Taskmaster, first episode is nothing groundbreaking, but solid nevertheless. You've seen the tasks before: most important document, order this pizza, camouflage yourself, create a coconut flinger, draw a monster the taskmaster describes. The taskmaster and assistant work well. The assistant plies a middle course - exceedingly obsequious to the TM but looks down on all the contestants. The TM himself seems confident, although is not at all systematic with the points - he'll award a snap last place, then 5 points, before mulling over how to dish out the middle ranks.

Kongen Befaler continues to run, this week's finale will be the 12th episode in the series, but it's a good cast so who can begrudge them. Amazingly, it's taken them this long to get round to Make an Exotic Sandwich. It was worth the wait. They also did a nice variation on a TM NZ task in "Take Olli [the assistant] on a wonderful journey", with the additional constraint that he must be back home within 30 minutes. One contestant drove him out of the city, but ran out of time on the return leg. No problem, just kick him out of the car immediately, drive off, and back in the studio assert that he was safely returned "to Oslo".

Finally, if you are spending Christmas with any younger (or young-at-heart) Taskmaster fans, why not set them this task? Designed for carrying out right after unwrapping presents. The image has a white background for ease of printing; for best effect print onto some fancy beige paper and seal with wax.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When you google Direktor Svemira, you get almost nothing but videos of Lidija Bacic Lille on the show. One of them is called 'Lidija Bacic Lille - LEGS (in Taskmaster) "Direktor Svemira"', and as far as I could tell it's just shots of her at the studio in a short dress. Don't know if you can call it groundbreaking, but from that very brief introduction, it's slightly different, I would say.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

As always Reddit is the place to go to find a copy. I'd definitely say it was a foundation that it needs to build on rather than being really strong. The house and grounds did feel a bit cramped which I think will hold them back in the long run. Series which have picked houses with bigger gardens have IMO given themselves more freedom for events to unfold in unpredictable directions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pablo Bluth posted:

As always Reddit is the place to go to find a copy. I'd definitely say it was a foundation that it needs to build on rather than being really strong. The house and grounds did feel a bit cramped which I think will hold them back in the long run. Series which have picked houses with bigger gardens have IMO given themselves more freedom for events to unfold in unpredictable directions.

The Danish house appears to be right in the middle of a normal street, with an appropriately small garden.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
As the podcast has moved on to Series 5, I've started the rewatch. Now this is probably my favourite series of Taskmaster, so I'm gonna have to post a bit about it. Here's what I thought about episode one:

Excellent noise: Nish really establishes his character from his the word go here. I understand Greg's marking, but in isolation Bob's entry seems better than a two pointer. Tough competition tonight!

Cuddle: Always thought this was a bit of an odd task to start with; my one worry about introducing people to Taskmaster with Series 5 is that they might bounce off the combination of weird and awkward it presents. That said, it does do exactly what you need from a first task - really differentiate the contestants. Mark ineptly running his cuddle through google, Sally being voracious, Aisling being sceptical and then manically overcompensating.

Boating: always nice to see a task assessed on two axes - speed and elegance. And it's nice to see Nish actually win one, the blower looked unlikely to be helpful but he proved otherwise. I think I would have gone down the punting route.

Basket: could reasonably be construed to be gloves is clearly the work of task consultant Tim Key, but I don't think it's overly restrictive. This seems to be an execution-heavy task - the key elements are quickly acquiring something to stand on and something to hold the ball with. Unless you're Nish, but that's a whole other story...

Fruit: pretty good live task, we at least saw a variety of strategies. Does seem like Bob's tactic was hard to top though, guess Sally and Aisling were too proud to copy it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The Danish house appears to be right in the middle of a normal street, with an appropriately small garden.
I couldn't remember which one was the Stormester house - apparently they've used a different house each season?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Struggling a bit with season 6. Its only my massive crush on Alive Levine thats getting me through it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

Struggling a bit with season 6. Its only my massive crush on Alive Levine thats getting me through it.

Same - shame she's not actually that good on the show itself. None of them are any good really, or they're enough of a oval office in real life that it doesn't matter how good they are.

e: Good as in funny or enjoyable on the show not as in actually good at the tasks.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

S6 is definitely a low point. It still managed to deliver a bunch of standout tasks but overall it lacks the chemistry and banter that marks TM at it's best.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Good news is you're close to S7, which is in nearly everyone's top 3 list amongst all versions.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Last episode of Kongen Befaler is loving amazing for a number of reasons.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Season six did give us Alex sitting in a cake.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Tim Vine was the only good thing about S6.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tim Vine's shite.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Unkempt posted:

Any time you see Solevig cringing at the announcement of a task, you know you're in for a good time. And Amir's painting was an all time prize entry. But there's a lovely little moment when Steinar was crowing about how cleverly he solved the first house task, and Einar reminds him that not so long ago he was dragging dough across the lawn. It highlighted the strength of having the recurring contestants each week - these in-jokes build up which you are a party to. Bring on Season 5 - the studio sessions are being filmed next month, so hopefully should air in the spring.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Heavy_D posted:

Any time you see Solevig cringing at the announcement of a task, you know you're in for a good time. And Amir's painting was an all time prize entry. But there's a lovely little moment when Steinar was crowing about how cleverly he solved the first house task, and Einar reminds him that not so long ago he was dragging dough across the lawn. It highlighted the strength of having the recurring contestants each week - these in-jokes build up which you are a party to. Bring on Season 5 - the studio sessions are being filmed next month, so hopefully should air in the spring.

Do we know the cast?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

evobatman posted:

Do we know the cast?

Well, I can list their names, but I'm not very knowledgable about Norwegian TV personalities. So no real idea about these people!

Harald Eia
Henrik Elvestad
Janne Formoe
Kristine Grændsen
Martin Lepperød

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
According to a reddit post from someone that went to see Alex Horne's live show, he was injured in the eye filming an upcoming season of Taskmaster. I'm glad that if he's performing still he's probably well enough that it wasn't too serious, but it sounds pretty lovely:
https://www.reddit.com/r/taskmaster/comments/rmbdm3/alex_injured_during_filming/

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Superrodan posted:

According to a reddit post from someone that went to see Alex Horne's live show, he was injured in the eye filming an upcoming season of Taskmaster. I'm glad that if he's performing still he's probably well enough that it wasn't too serious, but it sounds pretty lovely:
https://www.reddit.com/r/taskmaster/comments/rmbdm3/alex_injured_during_filming/

Wonder if Greg will give a bonus point for properly injuring Alex lol

Also this reminded me of the time Sarah Kendall shot him in the face with a staple gun

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

He's been pushing out the NMJ throughout so cant have been that bad.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly it's surprising there haven't been more injuries considering how frantic people get and how far out of their comfort zones they already are. There's a lot of room to get injured doing something that seems simple and stupid just because you didn't know how dangerous it was.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the producers generally nix anything that would be actually dangerous, or at the very least, make them wear safety gear. There's been a few times in the studio where one of them said something along the lines of "I wanted to do X but they wouldn't let me".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Apparently at least once per season, a contestant wants to get on the roof of the house, and they have to tell them no.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the producers generally nix anything that would be actually dangerous, or at the very least, make them wear safety gear. There's been a few times in the studio where one of them said something along the lines of "I wanted to do X but they wouldn't let me".

We even see this on-camera what with how one contestant tried to cut bread with a can lid, cut themselves, and then the other contestant who tries the same thing shows up wearing cut-resistant gloves.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Unkempt posted:

They made Amir angry.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've been plowing through No More Jockeys. Tim Key arguing that Darth Vader hasn't been in a movie is some kind of energy.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The special goes out tonight. It's TM so I'll watch but being hate-watching the tory the whole time.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
she’s so frustrating a person, but this isn’t the UK politics thread so I’ll leave it. I don’t dislike her

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

thehustler posted:

she’s so frustrating a person, but this isn’t the UK politics thread so I’ll leave it. I don’t dislike her

I'm not sure how such a piece of poo poo suddenly seems to be everywhere.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

"It is orange" had me sidesplitting.

Also, Chiles broke the first-chair curse. Correction, he smashed it in to little bits

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 1, 2022

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
What a wonderful episode. I’d kill to see anyone of them but the baroness on the main series but even she wasn’t as bad as I feared. I probably laughed out loud harder on this episode than I have most series episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

What's the deal with the Baroness for us U.S. fans?