Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

tylertfb posted:

I'm 6'3". This is the 59cm downtube size. The top tube is about 57.5cm. With this 120mm stem it's a touch long for me, I'm going to put a 100 on it and it will feel better.

I'm also 6'3", but my bike looks small compared to yours. Probably the skinny tubes.

Also this picture is from last year; I'm running a full Rival group now and I'm never looking back. loving SRAM forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

lovely pics of my lovely biek:

It's my first road bike, first ye olde project bike, first time I've laced wheels, first time I've taped bars (I'm on attempt 2 and it's still nightmarish), stil got to sort some fat tyres, a different chain wheel and a more suitable seat.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Slavvy posted:

lovely pics of my lovely biek:
There is definitely some interesting stuff going on here. Is the backwards caliper to get more reach? I'm guessing you went from 630 to 622mm wheels?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The backwards caliper is cause I thought it looked neat, it doesn't seem to make a difference which way round I have it as it's identical to the front one. Also makes for a tidier cable routing. The brakes are incredibly useless in general and something I want to upgrade when I've got the money but I'm not sure how much of a benefit there would be.

The original wheels were I think 27-3/4 or something like that, they were totally hosed so I laced 700 hoops to the original Shimano front hub, modern Shimano QR cassette rear hub.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I’m having a hard time squaring “the brakes are incredibly lovely” and “I’m not sure what the value in upgrading them would be” :lol:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As in I don't know if newer ones would be any better or if it's a fundamental problem of leverage because I'm running smaller wheels than the bike is built for, also they cost money.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the tektro long reach calipers (or extra long reach, measure your bike!) would almost certainly be an improvement, but better pads (kool stop double/triple compound, swissstop blue or newer shimano) would be more cost effective

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

finished my aliexpress mix and match bike just in time for it to be stowed away for winter. Building a bike up from parts is fun, but getting the cables at the front looking neat is hard.

Its got shimano 105 brakes but other then that its all Chinese stuff weighing in at 7,2kg with bottle cages and pedals

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

MacPac posted:

finished my aliexpress mix and match bike just in time for it to be stowed away for winter. Building a bike up from parts is fun, but getting the cables at the front looking neat is hard.

Its got shimano 105 brakes but other then that its all Chinese stuff weighing in at 7,2kg with bottle cages and pedals

I have the same bottle cages, they ejected a water bottle today and I turn around just to see a car run over it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mikemelbrooks posted:

I have the same bottle cages, they ejected a water bottle today and I turn around just to see a car run over it.

What kind of bottles? Those Bontrager cages have never ejected Purists for me, and I race Copperopolis every year.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
NBD

STEEL IS REAL YO. Barely used but quite upgraded Cinelli Vigorelli Road Disc. Picture doesn't do the paintjob justice. Sparkles all over. :vince:

Waiting on some clipless pedals.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Chinatown posted:

NBD

STEEL IS REAL YO. Barely used but quite upgraded Cinelli Vigorelli Road Disc. Picture doesn't do the paintjob justice. Sparkles all over. :vince:

Waiting on some clipless pedals.

Those wheels and the frame sparkles look :discourse:

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Hell yeah, that paint job!

Wanna ride that steel bike. Such a sick paint/wheel combo.

Mild late-November weather means finally getting this out on some singletrack. Really not doing much for talking me out of building up a singlespeed hardtail.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Some excellent content on this page!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Wanna ride that steel bike. Such a sick paint/wheel combo.

thinkin about going full sicko mode and putting a oil slick/rainbow chain on it. might be too much but :flipoff:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Last park laps of the year today. Been a fun one on this thing. Now I have all winter to clean it.

Bonus: lil shredder

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Here's my beater

I'm sure a few of you have seen it in the other bike threads , still

It's coming together

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

TobinHatesYou posted:

What kind of bottles? Those Bontrager cages have never ejected Purists for me, and I race Copperopolis every year.

Elite fly, I had just removed the last of the logos from the bottle so I guess the bottle was extra slippery, but it wasn't the first time it had happened.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Chinatown posted:

thinkin about going full sicko mode and putting a oil slick/rainbow chain on it. might be too much but :flipoff:

Probably the first and only time that I'd agree it's a good idea!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mikemelbrooks posted:

Elite fly, I had just removed the last of the logos from the bottle so I guess the bottle was extra slippery, but it wasn't the first time it had happened.

I find that bottles with fat necks tend to wiggle out over time. So Camelbak Podium 2.0/3.0, Elite Fly, SiS, Tacx, etc.

Purists and other "traditionally" shaped bottles are held in better by that tab on most bottle cages.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Rewrapped the bars in some cotton with a French whip and put a sexy flatbed on

I think it's at point of diminishing returns of adding things, the next step is a paintjob

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Fixing bikes, posting bikes:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Love that frame and fork v much.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

That's sick

I love seeing drops on bikes that are useful beyond time trials and exercise

That's a rad af bike

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Chinatown posted:

Love that frame and fork v much.

haha yeah me too, - the rest of the stuff is really random and definitely this is a franken-bike built out of what I had on hand this week. The tires, white bar tape, saddle and so on were great uses of spare parts in my garage and not highly optimized aesthetic choices.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Had a bit of a hazy ride today before the rain. 5/10 for staging of the photo but the ride was nice. I've lately been making an effort to stop somewhere on my rides and stretch, maybe sit or lean quietly somewhere and just enjoy nature for a little bit. It's been cool:)
I've had to avoid one of my spots though as there was too much nature. Magpies are nesting and swooping which is not pleasant to be on the receiving end of.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
3 months after getting the frame and 2 months waiting for wheel parts to arrive.. shopping bike is done.

B+M lights and a wheelset with Pacenti Brevet rims on a Surly fixed rear hub and SP dynamo front hub.

Rear wiring is glued to the NDS downtube & chainstay with silicone sealant. Made a little bracket for the rear light out of walnut.
The tires are those cheapo American Classics, 700x40c Aggregate model.
Made a bag for the Wald 137 too, though I may swap it for something else.

Very fun for tooling around local paths and nice to just carry a proper chain lock in the basket without any hassle.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I love everything about that bike.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That's rad as gently caress.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I bet everytime you see that bike you're like dayum what a sick bike, then you realise it's your bike and feel even more amazing.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

New bike day.

Not particularly rad. But clean, light and a little fancy.

Looking forward to getting it dirty tomorrow.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I see that bike and it makes me want a gravel rig. Clean.

Also is that Cheeseman Park?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

dema posted:

New bike day.

shoot dang that’s a pretty bike.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

dema posted:

New bike day.

Man, I really want to remain a spesh hater, but all their recent bikes are so drat good. Nice one.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Mike Sinyard or Specialized as a company, but they've got some talented people working there.

Really wanted a Crux frame without the branding on the DT, but apparently so does everyone else, because they're not very attainable at the moment. And I'm told that's not going to change any time soon.

Chinatown posted:

Also is that Cheeseman Park?

Yeah. I love riding around in circles there.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
Won this at an online auction a few weeks ago and finally picked it up yesterday.

I am so excited to actually own one of these.
Now I have all winter to get my fat rear end into shape so I can actually ride it!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Wow that looks clean af

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

dema posted:

Yeah. I love riding around in circles there.

Roadtripped CA-->Boulder last month and spent a morning riding around Denver with my bike I brought. Just delightful. Envious of the bike path network.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

z16bitsega posted:

Won this at an online auction a few weeks ago and finally picked it up yesterday.

That's super clean. The shop I bought my Crux from had a room full of classic bikes. Mapei Colnago (Master?) was the standout for me. I've always loved the shaped tubes on those bikes.

Anyway, got the Crux out on a 33 mile ride. Mostly dirt. It's brilliant.

Kinda wild that the the bike that's two down from top of the line has wireless electronic shifting and carbon rims. What a time to be alive.

Also, cellphone photos don't really do the frame color justice. It's a dark green, IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

z16bitsega posted:

I am so excited to actually own one of these.
Now I have all winter to get my fat rear end into shape so I can actually ride it!
Hell yeah chrome bikes. Dope as hell.