Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wang Commander posted:

Always wondered what percentage of an American crew has a gun stashed aboard.

Possible but probably pretty low on the scale. Subject to random whatevers at any time and CBP/port state would love to find anything so the risk is pretty high.

I've heard most tugs rotate cooking duties but I don't think there's a cook billet, while ships above a certain size are going to have that position billeted. Doesnt mean they know what they are doing just cause they have a license tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

Doesnt mean they know what they are doing just cause they have a license tho.

Quoting for truth. How do you gently caress up hot dogs?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

FrozenVent posted:

Sgt Chowdown would be pissed

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FrozenVent posted:

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Doobie's Dog House?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
We had a cook manage to make mac and cheese that tasted like nothing. Literally. Like it was just texture and no flavor whatsoever. It was somehow more disgusting than if it just tasted bad.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MonkeyFit posted:

We had a cook manage to make mac and cheese that tasted like nothing. Literally. Like it was just texture and no flavor whatsoever. It was somehow more disgusting than if it just tasted bad.

I think that's a plot point from The Color Out of Space.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Folks, I graduated from Department Head school yesterday.

I'll try to be a good CHENG and cry in the corner where no one can see as everything breaks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Grats! See you again in 3 years when you have some free time again.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
drat we are going to have 2 former captain goons soon.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Congrats TVS!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 18, 2022

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Valley Stared posted:

I'll try to be a good CHENG and cry in the corner where no one can see as everything breaks.

You’ll be a good CHENG.

Remember to stock up on Visine.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Congrats! What's the most difficult, unclassified part of Department Head school?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Congratulations! I hope you're able to maintain your work/life balance during your DH tour

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

piL posted:

Congrats! What's the most difficult, unclassified part of Department Head school?

Thanks, everyone.

As for the most difficult part...that genuinely varies per person. This might not be the answer you're expecting, but for me, it was constantly having to go back to the building and study for an additional 2 to 3 plus hours during the TAO module because I don't have a tactical background. I didn't find the content overwhelming, (even ASW because I do find that interesting), but I had to study it to get it to stick in my head. I lived super close by, but being at the building for 13 -15 hours a day is exhausting. Other people might say that it's the lack of a consistent schedule and how much random white space there can be.

And thanks for the tip, Crab dad. I will buy so much Visine.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Thanks, everyone.

As for the most difficult part...that genuinely varies per person. This might not be the answer you're expecting, but for me, it was constantly having to go back to the building and study for an additional 2 to 3 plus hours during the TAO module because I don't have a tactical background. I didn't find the content overwhelming, (even ASW because I do find that interesting), but I had to study it to get it to stick in my head. I lived super close by, but being at the building for 13 -15 hours a day is exhausting. Other people might say that it's the lack of a consistent schedule and how much random white space there can be.

That makes a lot of sense. I actually didn't even realise there was a variable schedule.

Re: Visine--perhaps this is why CHENGs thirst for DIVO tears.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
congrats on this thing that I have no idea what it is because I was not in the actual Navy

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Thanks, everyone.

I've probably stood 3-4k hours of watch in CDC and I can't imagine how lovely it is to cram for a TAO exam. I'd rather take the PE again. Congrats.

e: I know you said you didn't find it overwhelming, I would imagine that once in the weeds, most of that material is incredibly esoteric.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 4, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Congrats! My understanding of shipboard engineering is that you just need to put plastic bags over everything that's broken/leaking and you're good to go.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

congrats on this thing that I have no idea what it is because I was not in the actual Navy

I wasn’t either but I spent a few years on a ship. I am pretty sure Cheng is #3 in command on a ship. So Captain, XO, then Cheng. On the amphib I was on the Cheng was the most senior of all the Dept Heads and had the Top Snipe (senior enlisted engineering sailor) who was the most senior Master Chief outside the Command Master Chief.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hekk posted:

I wasn’t either but I spent a few years on a ship. I am pretty sure Cheng is #3 in command on a ship. So Captain, XO, then Cheng. On the amphib I was on the Cheng was the most senior of all the Dept Heads and had the Top Snipe (senior enlisted engineering sailor) who was the most senior Master Chief outside the Command Master Chief.

This all sounds about right.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Hekk posted:

In some cases CHENG is #3, but not on DDGs (generally speaking). With exceptions for the FLT I and II variants, it goes CO, XO, Combat Systems Officer, PTO (can be switched), then OPS, WEPS, and CHENG fight it out for #5.

On the FLT Is and IIs the CHENGs stay onboard for 36 months and they get an early promote, so they can be the #3 right off the bat. That won't be my situation though.

And yes. Plastic bags and buckets under everything. That's how you know things are working correctly!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

And yes. Plastic bags and buckets under everything. That's how you know things are working correctly!

When I got on a Marine CH-53 that is what they told me, "be worried if things aren't leaking"

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Congrats TVS!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'll add to the 'grats pile. It's good to know there are good khakis still out there.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Blue buckets,specifically. with A-gang scrawled on it but spelled incorrectly

Congrats TVS looking forward to your inevitable death march into the maintenance and modernization community

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Congratu-fuckin-lations. Have you considering writing up your experiences for the next McMullen Symposium at Annapolis? You should, the audience needs an infusion of people who've had first hand experiences when things go wrong.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Congrats!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lol my reserve unit canceled drill on the first by email and unofficial slack channel. No call no email to civ accounts. However I was on mil email this week and I saw nothing. Now those who didn’t re-sched just get a AA no big deal lol suck it up.
I’m loving furious now I have to scramble to get extra drill dates in the future to make sure I get a good year.
I only noticed while I was about to drive to drill this morning figured I’d check to see what building we were mustering in.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I mean a good year doesn't require you to make all 48 drill periods.

Why did they cancel? The budget stuff? Our CO put out an email that was essentially, regardless of how the budget goes cone in on saturday.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Last month, our NOSC just went ahead and rescheduled the drill to next weekend, expecting the government to shut down.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

Last month, our NOSC just went ahead and rescheduled the drill to next weekend, expecting the government to shut down.

Honestly the best decision a nosc has made in the history of the reserves.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

I mean a good year doesn't require you to make all 48 drill periods.

Why did they cancel? The budget stuff? Our CO put out an email that was essentially, regardless of how the budget goes cone in on saturday.

Well I might know if I was actually sent an email. But I wasn’t. I’ve been back at this unit for 3 months now and I know they have my emails.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I thinking about making myself very unpopular by wandering into the NOSC next week to work on a printer and the CO always makes it a point to come talk to me.

And now my LPO is contacting me to ask me to please not talk to the NOSC they are handling it even after our chief said it was on us.

Fart.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 4, 2021

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Just saw the nuke enlistment bonus is at $38k. Which is up $10k from about 2 months ago. The Navy's desperation brings some amount of joy to me.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

In some cases CHENG is #3, but not on DDGs (generally speaking). With exceptions for the FLT I and II variants, it goes CO, XO, Combat Systems Officer, PTO (can be switched), then OPS, WEPS, and CHENG fight it out for #5.

On the FLT Is and IIs the CHENGs stay onboard for 36 months and they get an early promote, so they can be the #3 right off the bat. That won't be my situation though.

What's the difference between CSO and WEPS? On a submarine these are two terms for the same position.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

MonkeyFit posted:

Just saw the nuke enlistment bonus is at $38k. Which is up $10k from about 2 months ago. The Navy's desperation brings some amount of joy to me.

I think my enlistment bonus was about 8k in 2002. What are the SRBs looking like? I think ETs could get close to 80k when I was in and EMs could get like 45? I think I got 40ish or so. It is amazing that I don't remember the exact details of this anymore. I guess time heals all!

Ninja Edit: I still remember a lot about the Navy and talk about it pretty frequently, about 50% of my coworkers are also Navy Nukes. I imagine nuclear power plants are even worse. Some of these kids are telling me they enlisted and already did their 6 after I was already out of the Navy (about a decade ago) and it makes me feel *very* old.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My unit never scheduled drill in November and stuffed extra days through the rest of the year. Thanksgiving and the height of hunting season made every weekend very unpopular

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cerekk posted:

What's the difference between CSO and WEPS? On a submarine these are two terms for the same position.

Combat Systems Officer is in charge of all combat operations, combat related training, organization, and planning. WEPS is specifically in charge of the weapons systems for maintenance purposes. WEPS is (normally) a "sub"-department head under CSO on CRUDES platforms even though it's a Dept Head position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m a bout to reenlist for a measly 10k as a 6 year E6 IT. Woo.

Well unless it changed since last month.