Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

It's a parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

"And Oliver Twist having the audacity to ask for more gruel after getting the same as everyone else! Does he not understand the burden the orphanage is taking by providing him with a roof, bed, and food?!"

EDIT: Saw that it was parody. I stand by my satire of a parody of a satire.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

My partner and I along with my best friend and her husband have been planning a trip for some time. I take a small amount of consolation in that I'll have plenty of time to save for the trip... sigh.

A little while back, but if we are whinging about not being able to get to Japan:

I applied for a job there last September. And was accepted.
The job was supposed to start in March this year. But just as I was getting the paperwork done for work Visas etc. Japan closed its borders in Jan.
Cue a lot of faffing about and uncertainty and waiting.
Last month I get a call from the company saying that they have finally managed to find a way to get me over on some sort of exemption to the now stupidly harsh Visa rules, (it involved getting letters from the regional board of education and a bunch of other stuff).
So now I will be arriving in December.
I get all excited, and manage to get the Visa in my passport and everything.
Last week, due to Omicron, Japan again shuts its borders to foreigners, even those like me with Visas. At least until Dec 31, and possibly further.

So maybe, MAYBE, if all goes well I will only have to wait yet another month to be able to go to Japan to start work at the job I accepted more than a year ago. And I am not mentioning all the hassle/frustration/pains in the arse of getting everything settled and sorted on this side, and now having to spend yet another month in my parents spare bedroom with no real certainty on when I can leave this time.

Sorry about the whinge.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It's a parody.

This one is real, though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

How to say "guillotine me" without saying "guillotine me".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I mean in rear end Creed III you play a Native American who's working with the colonies to fight the British when historically a point of contention leading to the American Revolution was that the British weren't allowing settlers to break treaties and push further west into Native lands, and a majority of Native combatants in the war sided with the British.

But they're a diverse and multicultural team of varying faiths so its ok

I never managed to beat rear end Creed III, but I will never forget the scene where the protagonist first discovers slavery is a thing the colonials do, only to be immediately told by his mentor "yeah that doesn't matter, now here's a butcher who is MAD about king George's TAXES, go stab a dozen redcoats and he'll be your friend"

like I get that a pseudohistorical retelling of the american revolution can't have you overturn the institution of slavery but uh

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

what an incredible trip

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
yes yes yes yes yes WAIT A MINUTE WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It's a parody.

It better be, what kind of reputable news outlet doesn't know how to spell "Ebenezer"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Skwirl posted:

I'm not gonna say it was good or even okay or anything, but ancient Greek slavery was different than the chattel slavery in the modern era.

You know, unless you were in the mines.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Angry Salami posted:

You know, unless you were in the mines.

different != better

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

When I saw the author of the piece was "Dickie Canine", I had a suspicion the piece was in jest.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OhAreThey posted:

When I saw the author of the piece was "Dickie Canine", I had a suspicion the piece was in jest.

British people tho

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

British people tho

Also for the record, the names "Dick Wolf", "Dick Pound", and "Speed Weed" all belong to real people.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I gotta admit for a moment i was ready to throw hands about the sjw-ness of A Christmas Carol, because it's legit one of my favourite books and I get very invested in adaptations, and I have A Lot Of Words about versions that leave out Ignorance and Want, and how basically no version ever includes the discussion Scrooge has with the Ghost of Christmas Present about how people who do things like close essential services for the poor (such as the use of bakery ovens being available for families such as the Cratchits who are too poor to own an oven) on Sunday IN THE NAME OF THE LORD are full of poo poo. I don't even particularly like other Dickens. I just really like this one stupid book.

But then, a few years ago I was going through every movie version I could find and i watched this take on it in which a poor white trash woman is convinced by seasonal ghosts that she must get a job and earn her own money and stop leeching off people, so there are definitely people who very badly misread the story.

I'm trying to convince my d&d group to let me run a Christmas Carol module I found but I'm not sure they're as into the idea as I am.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Alright pyf scrooge, go

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

nine-gear crow posted:

Also for the record, the names "Dick Wolf", "Dick Pound", and "Speed Weed" all belong to real people.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just to be safe, :nws: for language

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Alright pyf scrooge, go

No contest.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And another thing, they always have to go to the bathroom right after. Fuckin weirdos amiright

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Data Graham posted:

And another thing, they always have to go to the bathroom right after. Fuckin weirdos amiright

Then they brush their teeth with an electric toothbrush brush for like 10 minutes.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Antioch posted:

No contest.

I will not contest this.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

Alright pyf scrooge, go

Bill Murray

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Zil posted:

Then they brush their teeth with an electric toothbrush brush for like 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlHf1Fc0OSg

BTW an important thing about this video that is later in the episode - one of the other characters makes clear that the guy being bad at sex isn't the only problem with his relationship - his wife should have been honest with him instead of sneaking off with a vibrator, so the real problem in their marriage is one of communication.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Dec 5, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Glad someone else got that reference. Love that show.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1467351680446603266

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

This is just shoe being a useful idiot and making pro-choice people look insane.

99% of her grift is pretending to be left while making progressives look unreasonable. Or whitewashing right wing grifters for a leftist audience.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the weirdest version of Christmas Carol that I ever saw was a recent adaption on british TV with Guy Pearce. It does some things that I liked like him talking to marley from earlier in the story although him not being seen, because it's more his conscience nagging on him as his behaviour starts catching up with him, and the chains are explicitly forged by a man who worked for him in one of his workhouses and died of exhaustion as a result, and the first thing that the Marley ghost shows him before the spirits come is the aftermath of one of their policies where due to cutting important safely corners to save a few shillings one of his buildings exploded, killing and injuring dozens of people.

It also had some weird unnecessary stuff though like him having a weird relationship with sex due to being molested as a child (the reason he stayed over at the school at christmas was his abusive father being paid off by the principal to keep him there, only getting out of there when his sister held the headmaster at gunpoint) resulting in weird pseudo-sexual mindgames that he put Mrs Cratchet through in secret for money as a deranged social experiment, (which of course at the end of the story she makes very clear to Scrooge that while her husband has forgiven him she never will, and he accepts that consequence of his behaviour and agrees to stay away physically while supporting her husband and son financially)

There was also a thing I didn't mind explaining his obsession with frugality that again comes from his father - one of his first hallucinations is a pet mouse he had as a child who his father murdered because they spent what little they had on a small bell for him to wear, which their father considered a monumental waste of money literally saying "That mouse has nicer stuff than I'll ever have"

It was a very weird, muddled adaption with some interesting ideas and some cringy ones.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Feliday Melody posted:

This is just shoe being a useful idiot and making pro-choice people look insane.

99% of her grift is pretending to be left while making progressives look unreasonable. Or whitewashing right wing grifters for a leftist audience.

The person in that image is an insane prageru "former democrat" person. Not really close to a leftist.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

She's still a fascist, right? Because I'm pretty sure she's still a fascist.

Saagonsa posted:

The person in that image is an insane prageru "former democrat" person. Not really close to a leftist.

Yes, but the person who made the tweet quoting the image is a straight up cryptofash. Not really close to a leftist either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OhAreThey posted:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/nanny-theft-disappearing-butlers-rich-people-problems/

Of they money-coutts banking dynasty, if you are curious.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

I think the weirdest version of Christmas Carol that I ever saw was a recent adaption on british TV with Guy Pearce. It does some things that I liked like him talking to marley from earlier in the story although him not being seen, because it's more his conscience nagging on him as his behaviour starts catching up with him, and the chains are explicitly forged by a man who worked for him in one of his workhouses and died of exhaustion as a result, and the first thing that the Marley ghost shows him before the spirits come is the aftermath of one of their policies where due to cutting important safely corners to save a few shillings one of his buildings exploded, killing and injuring dozens of people.

It also had some weird unnecessary stuff though like him having a weird relationship with sex due to being molested as a child (the reason he stayed over at the school at christmas was his abusive father being paid off by the principal to keep him there, only getting out of there when his sister held the headmaster at gunpoint) resulting in weird pseudo-sexual mindgames that he put Mrs Cratchet through in secret for money as a deranged social experiment, (which of course at the end of the story she makes very clear to Scrooge that while her husband has forgiven him she never will, and he accepts that consequence of his behaviour and agrees to stay away physically while supporting her husband and son financially)

There was also a thing I didn't mind explaining his obsession with frugality that again comes from his father - one of his first hallucinations is a pet mouse he had as a child who his father murdered because they spent what little they had on a small bell for him to wear, which their father considered a monumental waste of money literally saying "That mouse has nicer stuff than I'll ever have"

It was a very weird, muddled adaption with some interesting ideas and some cringy ones.

It’s not Christmas on British TV until they’ve shat out yet another turgid reboot of Dickens timeless tale

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Money-Coutts being bankers is a bit on the nose isn't it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The funny thing is that they are old enough that they probably got the name from the job, because again, britain.

E: actually weirdly it used to just be coutts except a guy called francis money was involved in some stupid toff heredity poo poo and ended up inheriting on the condition he adopted the name.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Dec 5, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

RoboRodent posted:

I'm trying to convince my d&d group to let me run a Christmas Carol module I found but I'm not sure they're as into the idea as I am.

"So we're going to do a time travel/alternate time line adventure with ghosts."
"Will there be treasure?"
"Oh, the greatest treasure of all!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eat the rich, they’re delicious :yum:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
it's the telegraph so i can't tell whether the subheading is being said sardonically or not

edit: just read the author name lmao

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Feliday Melody posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

She's still a fascist, right? Because I'm pretty sure she's still a fascist.

Yes, but the person who made the tweet quoting the image is a straight up cryptofash. Not really close to a leftist either.

Sounds like your typical popularist American democrat to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's the telegraph so i can't tell whether the subheading is being said sardonically or not

edit: just read the author name lmao

Sophia money-coutts's thing is writing about rich people problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

You sure that wasn't done by Steven Moffat?