Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A lot of bundle carts are handling it this way now, i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
At least the Danganronpa package actually comes with every game on the cart and doesn't require you download the rest over the internet

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dids Hamsters ports ever stop being lazy and glitchy?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Apparently Amazon refreshes restocks. A friend got one at 6AM from it. Gamestop seems to have them a lot here, though that just might be because we did our Christmas console shenanigans early November.*

Oddly, our Gamestop is pretty good about having things in stock. I refuse to camp for one. I mean, the staff was frenzied and they wanted to sell the oled as if it were hot coals so that was cool. Haven't been able to see them at Walmart, and I didn't go to Target.

Also, websites sometimes lie. It said they were out of stock on the site, but at least one in store stock. It was also great to shopping with my sibling and we got her pokemon snap. Mostly, I'm just glad I got to spend time with her that day.

Edit: Do gamestop people get commission or something? One guy seemed sad, the other in full sale mode.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 5, 2021

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Junkie Disease posted:

What's wrong with the Arcade Archives releases? Every single one I've gotten has been great.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So aside from possibly scoring a game used or at a discount, it's almost always better to go digital for patches right?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Google Butt posted:

So aside from possibly scoring a game used or at a discount, it's almost always better to go digital for patches right?

I don't see why. The patches apply to physical games all the same.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I don't see why. The patches apply to physical games all the same.

Oh didn't know that, cool.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Junkie Disease posted:

What Hamster ports are you talking about? They're obviously not featured pack like M2's ports are, but the ports themselves play perfectly fine

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Oh didn't know that, cool.

Just to clarify... He's not saying that the software on the physical cart can be patched (if this is what you interpreted), but just that the game can be patched on your console either way. So that doesn't need to factor into your decision.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Google Butt posted:

It's always best to buy physical games if the price is the same because you can resell or lend to a friend a physical game.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
We definitely get a shitload of mileage out of swapping carts with cousins. Haven't lost one yet!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I could be wrong but I think there's some fuckery in digital vs physical where a physical game may be able to play the game on the cart at whatever version is on the cart, but a digital game can only be not-updated.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It may be that devs put whatever the most recent version of the game exists on the cart at the time of printing, because there is a chance - however remote - that your game is being bought by someone who doesn't have Internet access. Someone buying a digital game by definition has at least somewhat reliable Internet access, so devs may not be as concerned with making sure the most recent version is on the eshop. This is all just conjecture though, and is dependent upon a game getting multiple print runs.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Google Butt posted:

I've actually never touched a switch before, I suppose I could actually just run with it stock for a while when I pick it up.

I would do this instead of buying a bunch of poo poo that you have no idea if you want or need yet. Use the switch for a while, see how you use it, and then figure out what accessories would make your life easier and get them. I never use my switch tabletop for example and so don't need anything to help with that. Nor would I want a grip because the regular switch is perfectly fine for me comfortwise. I thought about getting a portable dock but realistically I don't travel enough to places where I have use of another TV to warrant that.

That said:
If you're playing docked for any length of time, a controller is a must. The official Nintendo Pro Controller is the best, with the caveat of it has a lovely dpad. 8bitdo make excellent controllers too - the SN30 Pro 2 is the current best in their lineup. The only downside is they can't wake the switch from sleep. This is easily dealt with by keeping a joycon to wake the switch next to your controller on the table.

A bigger memory card is a necessity. Get a bigger capacity than you'd think you need. I have a mixture of physical and digital games and ran out of space on my 200GB card meaning I had to upgrade to 512GB during a sale. Buy SanDisk or Samsung.

Get a case for the switch so you can feel comfortable taking it around with you and actually using the portable aspect of it. Hard shelled ones are better in terms of being able to throw it in your bag without worrying if it'll get knocked around.

Idk which switch you ordered but if its not the new OLED model get a tempered glass screen protector and install it. OLED owners will have to weigh in if you still need a screen protector with the new model because apparently they ship with one preinstalled?

Lots of people itt like to complain that nintendo games never go on sale. They're wrong although there's less frequent sales compared to other platforms because first party Nintendo games generally hold their value and remain top sellers all the way through the lifespan of a console so why would they need to heavily discount them? Make an account on dekudeals to get notified about any sales on games that you are actively interested in. The wishlist feature on the switch eshop kind of sucks but it's maybe worth using and occasionally checking during any big sales.

Good savings can be found buying the big titles physically second hand. In my local Facebook marketplace I frequently see games for €25 or so. They also retain their value well so you can often sell them on for what you paid, or lend them to anyone else you know with a Switch.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Counterpoint in favor of Digital Crew: carrying my slim fit OLED everywhere and having every game I’ve ever purchased on hand at all times is really great, nice and easy. My cartridge slot is for Ring Fit Adventure and everything else gets saved to my big fat memory card!!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
counter counterpoint: any decent case will have space for game cartridges.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I store mine between my cheek and gum.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Butterfly Valley posted:

counter counterpoint: any decent case will have space for game cartridges.

Yeah, it’s actually pretty hard to find a nice case that doesn’t come with completely useless little cartridge holders, and like I said choosing 6-10 of my games every time I leave the house on a trip is dumb when I can just have every game I’ve ever owned at my fingertips.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bust Rodd posted:

Counterpoint in favor of Digital Crew: carrying my slim fit OLED everywhere and having every game I’ve ever purchased on hand at all times is really great, nice and easy. My cartridge slot is for Ring Fit Adventure and everything else gets saved to my big fat memory card!!

Sorry but two of those games have lapsed the licensing on their music/character likeness/because we feel like it, so we're removing them from your digital storefront forever. No we will not be taking questions or feedback at this time, good day customer.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Counter counter counterpoint: there's only so much space for carts in a carrying case and it's much easier to fit a spare uSD card in one of them than a cartridge once you've run out of dedicated slots.

I can only buy one more physical Switch game before I have to start making Decisions at this point.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The physical vs digital debate is boring and interminable and is why I suggested to the new Switch owner they should go for a mix.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got a 256GB card for like $20 3 years ago on a Black Friday sale and with 40+ games on it I still have like 160 GB free

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I look at this and I see

Trigger Happy Havoc
Dangan Ronpa 2
Dangan Ronpa V5
Dangan Ronpa 5

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 5, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Physical and digital both have advantages, go with what works best for your situation.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sorry but two of those games have lapsed the licensing on their music/character likeness/because we feel like it, so we're removing them from your digital storefront forever. No we will not be taking questions or feedback at this time, good day customer.

Has this actually happened ever

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Besides from the Grand Theft Auto remasters that came out like 3 weeks ago?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure the people who bought them can still play them

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Almost positive save for a digital storefront shutting down it’s never happened.

I remember it happened with a Kindle book one time and caused an internet meltdown.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yeah at least with Steam in those situations you can always redownload the purchase. New people just can't buy it.

Like for example a bunch of the old TellTale games stuff. I bought a ton of it back in the day and its still all available to download, just not listed on the store.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Physical VS Digital is the modern equivalent of the console wars of old and it's just as dumb now as it was then. Go with whichever way you like and works best for you personally.

Seeing all these Dangan Ronpa ports come out make me realize I never played any game in that series aside from the first one. I might pick up the second one for some upcoming travel, but also Monster Rancher is coming out soon and even though it'll probably be a phoned in remaster it's really appealing to me.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

First Party or hefty games I go physical, everything else digital.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the switch game boxes are cute

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Super Mario 3D All-Stars says yes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cum jabbar posted:

Pretty sure the people who bought them can still play them

Yeah the GTA3:DE didn't take anything away from people who already owned the originals, but Rockstar has downgraded games for people who already bought them before

GTA4 had like 40 songs removed on the games tenth anniversary due to licenses expiring, even for people who bought the game before the licenses ran out

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, it’s actually pretty hard to find a nice case that doesn’t come with completely useless little cartridge holders, and like I said choosing 6-10 of my games every time I leave the house on a trip is dumb when I can just have every game I’ve ever owned at my fingertips.

In my experience it’s better to have a smaller number of games to choose from. If I only have 3 games to pick from I’m much more likely to actually pick one and play it, if I have 40 I’m much more likely to be paralyzed by indecision and never actually play anything.

This happens to be the reason why I don’t like Game Pass all that much, there’s too much content for me to pick a game and play through it for more than 10 minutes before I am tempted to try something else.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Single-player games physical, multi-player games digital strikes a very good balance for me. I'm usually only playing one "major" game at a time anyway (physical), and I always have Mario Kart or Smash Bros. ready when I'm at a fancy gala.

This system also encourages me to play smaller titles/indie games more often since those are typically digital-only anyway; if I had BotW digital and readily available at all times, I doubt I'd ever play anything else.

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 5, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think having your video games taken away out of your library has ever happened that I'm aware of, but I know it has happened with Kindle books.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
people are confusing it with games being removed from storefronts or stores getting shut down (rip wii shop)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 22, 2021