Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Lol drat I haven't seen a two post rack like that in over ten years.

Fiber backend. High fiber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Phanatic posted:

Enh? Most people round these parts with oil furnaces just have the tank in the basement or above ground next to their house. Why do you need to bury them?

(Disclaimer: Norway)

We used to have a kerosene barrel in the basement - just a plain steel barrel laid sideways on a fold-out steel tube holder. To fill it, we had an oil truck come round once a year and run a glorified petrol pump hose in through the basement window. It was set up with copper tubing that ran up to a day tank at the top of the basement stairs, and then that gravity fed to the big cast iron kerosene furnace in the living room. To pump it from the barrel to the day tank, there was a hand pump that I'm quite sure was a WW2 relic my great-grandfather either stole during the war or grabbed from their leftovers just after. (I grew up with "if it's the cold season, going to the toilet in the basement means checking the kerosene tank on the way back up, and pumping it full if needed". )

Around 2000, having kerosene tanks indoors was made illegal as a fire risk, so we had to put it on a stand outside - and the routine became "if the day tank is low, go outside and fetch some liters of kerosene and pour it in". They replaced the kerosene stove with a heat pump and a mostly decorative wood fireplace after I moved out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you definitely could use a raspberry pi for something like this, but that might be way overkill. i am not an expert in home automation, but i am sure there are several ways to do your exact use case of "convert a simple pushbutton switch from wired to wireless". there are several threads on the forums where people talk about projects like this, one being the idiot spare time projects thread in yospos

Thank you for that link!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you for that link!

Also the electronics thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977&pagenumber=660&perpage=40

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

That cable management belongs in the toilet anyway

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Is this a mockup of what Arsenic Lupin's doorbell is going to look like?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Not really crappy construction, but I recently stayed with friends in an early 19th century rowhouse just outside Philly. Mostly unremarkable, except for the stairs. Four floors of this, counting the basement.

It was beautifully constructed, but it also had what felt like a nine or nine and a half inch step height, and the overhead wasn’t enough for me to stand up in for most of the stairwell. Oh, and the guest room is on the top floor, and the bathroom is on the main floor. Good luck fat/drunk flatlander!

I practiced three points of contact the whole time I was there.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Oh my god. I would just ragdoll down the stairs bouncing off the walls like the insurance fraud thing from Saints Row.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ve been in houses probably built around the same time with the exact same setup. Philadelphia is a test of survivability in many many ways.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

His Divine Shadow posted:

By outdoors do you mean literally outdoors or in a freestanding boiler room building?

Yeah, literally outdoors. They're made to just stand out by themselves, but I would probably build a roof above it to keep the weather off it and the wood.

You can get various sized ones and some have apps to tell you when they need to be refilled.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Our neighbors have a wood fired boiler for winter heat.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MrYenko posted:

Not really crappy construction, but I recently stayed with friends in an early 19th century rowhouse just outside Philly. Mostly unremarkable, except for the stairs. Four floors of this, counting the basement.

It was beautifully constructed, but it also had what felt like a nine or nine and a half inch step height, and the overhead wasn’t enough for me to stand up in for most of the stairwell. Oh, and the guest room is on the top floor, and the bathroom is on the main floor. Good luck fat/drunk flatlander!

Yeah it's fun moving in or out of a trinity house. Usually wind up going through the front windows. My father had his king bed craned in through the roof when it was being remodelled.

There should be a vertically-mounted banister at the apex at each floor. Not recommended in socks.

The Dave posted:

I’ve been in houses probably built around the same time with the exact same setup. Philadelphia is a test of survivability in many many ways.

My favorite is abandoning old brick chimneys in place by cribbing the roof joists (above the ceiling) to hold up the pile that goes through the roof deck, then removing everything below it all the way to the basement. Don't see too many claims loss reports for "brick fell through bedroom ceiling," but I've had a few.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 5, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

My wife's childhood house had this type of staircase. Apparently the house was built by a shipbuilder and he wanted his staircases to feel like he was in a ship. This was an 18th century home though so you did whatever you wanted.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I think this thread is evidence that it doesn't matter what century you're in, you can do whatever you want with your house.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Anyone know of any Illinois lawyers capable of telling an extremely lovely contractor to gently caress off?

Some friends of mine have been dealing with a notably bad one for months now. Just ridiculous bullshit up and down - with the bathrooms being the worst. Just clear caulk smeared everywhere, over the bath surfaces, gooped into gaps that shouldn't be there, etc. They used painters tape to try and fix a leaky shower fixture, hosed up his roof no less than three times, did lovely work on the flooring, and have generally been incompetent in everything they've done.

Not to mention not calling before arriving, changing schedules without notice, etc. It's been a nightmare of terrible work and they just want out of it.

So yeah if you know of one, I'll pass it on. If I can get him to send some pictures, I'll share to the thread.

e: Oh he's already talking to a lawyer. But he's wondering if anyone knows any reputable people in Central IL who install flexstone and aren't lovely.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 5, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NoWake posted:

My college dorm ran on a boiler system feeding radiators that couldn't be modulated (or maybe they could in 1960) so the heat was just on full blast for every room every day from October to March. It was something else to be sleeping toastily in a bunk next an open window with a raging blizzard on the other side of it. You could see some rooms across the way with box fans running. The rooms has the largest square footage of any dorm on campus, though, so that was nice.

Over winter break, all of the windows had to be shut and appliances like mini fridges unplugged so a power outage wouldn't make biobombs. Since lava lamps weren't allowed, I hid mine sideways in a desk drawer. When we got back to campus after break, I opened the mini fridge and it felt like an oven. I took the lava lamp out of the drawer, and found the wax had gone molten and re-formed along the side of the lamp. I figure the temp in the room had gotten anywhere between 100°F to 120°F while it was closed up.

They just tore the place down this year. A drat shame.

My dorm was like that too. Sitting at my desk in shorts and a t-shirt with the window open mid-January was a trip.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/tf66xFW.gifv

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I love it when I get a straight piece in Tetris.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Mortar. It's useful!

Also:
https://imgur.com/Q0I8zap

"Remember the time you set that steel bolt on fire?"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

kid sinister posted:

Mortar. It's useful!

Also:
https://imgur.com/Q0I8zap

"Remember the time you set that steel bolt on fire?"

Rebar too!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

I really wish I had a picture of the Cisco 4506 mounted in a wall-mounted rack above a toilet.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Blistex posted:

Yeah, literally outdoors. They're made to just stand out by themselves, but I would probably build a roof above it to keep the weather off it and the wood.

You can get various sized ones and some have apps to tell you when they need to be refilled.

Any reason you're not considering a heat pump and in floor heating? Definitely the way to go if you don't have floors in yet, imo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

knox_harrington posted:

Any reason you're not considering a heat pump and in floor heating? Definitely the way to go if you don't have floors in yet, imo

If you got cheap wood you can't beat it. Even then as a heat pump owner, I am happy as gently caress I got wood as a secondary heat source with the current electricity prices in europe. Even more so if there's extended power outages.

I don't know poo poo about outdoor models like that though. Not a thing here. Free standing boiler rooms, or built in ones is the norm, underground insulated pipes can bring the heat to multiple buildings on a property, like district heating. With the most effective models you can keep a home in northern sweden warm while doing a firing every 3rd day or so. Those are very effective setups, inverse gassification burners and computer control, and insulated water tanks of 5-10 cubic meters to retain the heat.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

knox_harrington posted:

Infloor heating is pricy, and I've heard it's not great for real wood flooring. Also doors have already been installed to account for 3/4" wood flooring.

I also have access to unlimited hardwood and the machinery (dump trailers and tractors) to haul it

And like HDS said, they're efficient and can heat multiple buildings.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ah I missed that it's wood somehow, makes sense.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

The phone on the floor is :kiss:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

MrYenko posted:

I toured a house years ago like that. I really, really wanted to buy it. It was build so tough. Rough cut true 2x12 floor joists, wide pine floors, huge bathroom with a clawfoot tub, 3 bedrooms, kickass kitchen, attached garage. It was probably 140 years old I suppose but in great shape. I had to turn it away, the buyers wanted too much. It needed a roof, and most of the windows. Siding needed repairs. The bathroom needed to be gutted and re-tiled. The big problem was that the roof was asbestos so re-roofing required tear off and disposal, mitigation was not an option.. Turns a $5,000 roof into a $100,000 roof.

Still, those stairs were ridiculous. There was room to put in proper stairs but the builder decided to put in that silly internal spiral staircase. I swear to God you'd need to have guests sign a waiver to come over. Walking up or down in socks? Good luck. No hand rails, just use your balance. Best to have a breathalyzer at top and bottom to allow the use of the stairs.

I would have re-engineered the stairs, lost a little bit of huge living room and made them straight with a landing. It would have worked fine.

Stupid asbestos. I really liked that house.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Blistex posted:

Infloor heating is pricy, and I've heard it's not great for real wood flooring. Also doors have already been installed to account for 3/4" wood flooring.

I also have access to unlimited hardwood and the machinery (dump trailers and tractors) to haul it

And like HDS said, they're efficient and can heat multiple buildings.

If it's real wood flooring then it's possible to make it work, but it's a lot of extra work and usually involves, as you predict, another layer of flooring on top. So if you don't want to gently caress up or replace your existing floors, radiators or air/air heat pumps are the better option.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/hoodcomedyent/status/1468059151557406730?s=21

that's not going anywhere anytime soon, the theory still holds

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

My Lovely Horse posted:

One that is some final destination type crap, two I like how the windshield wipers are standing in defiance to the building. Almost as if flipping off the building.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Wow - the precast panel didn't even crack

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just talked to the building inspector and he said there are no current bylaws against outdoor wood furnaces in town limits. I was positive that at some point an idiot would have burned green wood and household garbage and ruined it for everyone, so that's pretty awesome since I have access to free wood and ample drying space.

So it looks like I can also have a heated garage and maybe in the future a heated greenhouse depending on the capacity of the unit I get.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd call off work for the week, and move. That's terrifyingly close. That was so violent it wouldn't have even hurt.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

StormDrain posted:

I'd call off work for the week, and move. That's terrifyingly close. That was so violent it wouldn't have even hurt.

Only if you took a direct hit. What freaks me out is that it looks like it would have barely missed him or just clipped him, which is where you can get life-altering injury type poo poo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Don Karnage
Oct 9, 2016

Liquid Communism posted:

My dorm was like that too. Sitting at my desk in shorts and a t-shirt with the window open mid-January was a trip.

One of my strongest memories from college is sitting with my roommate in our dorm room with both casement windows cranked all the way open and fans blowing cold air in while it snowed outside. Non-adjustable radiator heating is apparently quite common in dormitory buildings of the mid-20th century.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Don Karnage posted:

One of my strongest memories from college is sitting with my roommate in our dorm room with both casement windows cranked all the way open and fans blowing cold air in while it snowed outside. Non-adjustable radiator heating is apparently quite common in dormitory buildings of the mid-20th century.

It was a reaction to the 1918 influenza pandemic.

Heating systems were sized to keep the place comfortable with all the windows open an inch.

That silver paint that most radiators have on them is an attempt to tune that down a little bit once everyone forgot about pandemic respiratory illnesses and closed the windows. It lowers the emissivity of the radiator and reduces its power output by maybe a fifth.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

After two winters of living in a place with radiator heating, I found out that you can just throw a wool blanket over it and it keeps the room warm without cooking you to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Freaquency posted:

After two winters of living in a place with radiator heating, I found out that you can just throw a wool blanket over it and it keeps the room warm without cooking you to death.

FÅR EJ ÖVERTÄCKAS