Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm now firmly on team (mostly) innocent Harrison because it would be way loving funnier than the alternative. Like if you told a lie about getting drunk at a party, and your dad was like "I always knew you'd turn out like me" and pulls out a go bag with fake passports and cash and starts prepping to burn the house down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

hitchhiker harry was good but i don't remember ghost olmos using a phone

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It was a...hell phone!

:dadjoke:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Harrison's pretty incompetent tbh. He's using the town's bigotry against it, hoping that they'll not look into the issue further because they're already biased against the weird kid. But it took Dexter -- who's probably a bit too good at his old job, if also probably rusty -- about five minutes to find two large inconsistencies in Harrison's statement, and that's the kind of poo poo a lawyer would make hay out of in court.

There's also the issue of the kid not having any guns at school, and the wounds being inflicted by a weapon that wasn't found at the crime scene. A half decent investigation would result in assault charges being levelled against Harrison, but, again, these cops aren't competent.
A major part of Dexter's existence is that he's a genius at his work and when the big doofy CSI guy comes in and manages to get it right, Dexter is impressed. It isn't that these cops are incompetent, it's that they don't have a blood spatter expert and Dexter is good at his job. Neither of those make wunderkid any less wunderkid.

CODChimera posted:

hitchhiker harry was good but i don't remember ghost olmos using a phone
Is the old forum thread archived somewhere? I can only find the one prior to this thread.
Edit: Oh, gently caress, apparently my account never got archives access. Oh well.

DaveKap posted:

You should check him out in Gamer. Real good poo poo, there. :allears:
BTW as much as I do think people should watch Gamer, I don't really expect people to watch Gamer, so here's MCH doing his best at the end of that film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulcPQya3z7o
Edit: Looking at the previous thread I found this and want to share:

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 30, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

A major part of Dexter's existence is that he's a genius at his work and when the big doofy CSI guy comes in and manages to get it right, Dexter is impressed. It isn't that these cops are incompetent, it's that they don't have a blood spatter expert and Dexter is good at his job. Neither of those make wunderkid any less wunderkid.

Didn't they explicitly establish that a lot of them were incompetent in the first episode or two? I remember there being scenes showing a lot of them letting people trample evidence, while Dexter comments on it or encourages it, etc. The only person who's on top of things is Angela -- it's part of the whole thing where she's the only one who's noticed that the town is home to a serial killer.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Oh I'm not saying the cops aren't incompetent, I'm saying that even if they were, that's not as important as the other two facts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DaveKap posted:

BTW as much as I do think people should watch Gamer, I don't really expect people to watch Gamer, so here's MCH doing his best at the end of that film.

As ridiculous as that scene is, Gamer would have come and gone and no one would remember it in the TYOL 2021 if it weren't for that part.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Medullah posted:

As ridiculous as that scene is, Gamer would have come and gone and no one would remember it in the TYOL 2021 if it weren't for that part.
I disagree because their depiction of Second Life... I mean VR Chat... I mean whatever the gently caress the future Metaverse ends up being was fantastic and anyone in development of such products should be forced to watch it and take notes. That and they kinda take a deep pull from Max Headroom and I praise them heavily for it.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Didn't they explicitly establish that a lot of them were incompetent in the first episode or two? I remember there being scenes showing a lot of them letting people trample evidence, while Dexter comments on it or encourages it, etc. The only person who's on top of things is Angela -- it's part of the whole thing where she's the only one who's noticed that the town is home to a serial killer.

Kinda wish Angela didn't know about there being a serial killer. She'll tell Dexter when she makes the connection and give him a reason to kill the dude.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

I just marathoned six feet under so I'm trying to shake 6 seasons of gay Dexter out of my head. When he said, "he has my dark passenger" I couldn't help but laugh. It really cemented Michael C. Hall's range to me and I'm surprised he hasn't done more work.

He had a show he was co-lead with Michael K. Williams for THREE seasons and no one has ever heard of it or seen a single episode.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Deb being my favorite part about the season was a twist I was not expecting

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'd also be willing to accept the theory that Dexter got shot by Matt and is slowly bleeding out while his own personal hell of everyone he loves becoming like him slowly plays out.

E: nahhh Good Harrison ride or die

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

He had a show he was co-lead with Michael K. Williams for THREE seasons and no one has ever heard of it or seen a single episode.

Hap And Leonard? That was James Purefoy, not Michael C Hall.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

ghostwritingduck posted:

I’m still enjoying this. Wanted to vent about the silliness of an amber type alert going out and the whole town flipping out. Completely unrealistic and a phone call to Dexter would have achieved the same thing. Just a silly moment for no reason.

This and Dexter commenting on a drunken father not looking like he’s mourning (?)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean this is the same show where Quinn, the Empathy Cop, deduced that Dexter was a serial killer from the tone of his report that Rita had died.

It's a show that doesn't really "get" trauma responses.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hap And Leonard? That was James Purefoy, not Michael C Hall.

Close enough

I think I thought Michael C Hall because he was in a different Joe Lansdale project but that one was a movie

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wasn't the knife dexter found a straight razor? but the kid was stabbed, right? not slashed? to be honest my only experience with straight razors is when an old man has one uncomfortably close to your neck making you know why nobody gets old fashioned barber shaves anymore, and that paranoias is all about being slashed, not stabbed by the shaky hands man.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Khanstant posted:

wasn't the knife dexter found a straight razor? but the kid was stabbed, right? not slashed? to be honest my only experience with straight razors is when an old man has one uncomfortably close to your neck making you know why nobody gets old fashioned barber shaves anymore, and that paranoias is all about being slashed, not stabbed by the shaky hands man.

The kid was slashed in the same way a Trinity killer victim would be. Harrison then took the kid's knife and then stabbed himself to make it look like self defense. So it's possible that the kid was walking away, Harrison slashed him with the straight razor, and then grabbed the other knife and stabbed himself.

Edit: Jesus Christ, the kid at school with the drawings of him killing people and thinking about being a school shooter was named Ethan. What the gently caress, how?

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 5, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
hahah gently caress

15, too

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So where does this fall on the ol' Dexter Thermometer so far? Is it marking the spot between season 4's greatness and season 5's slow decent into bullshit, or it is just a fully erect season 8 bonehead boner?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

The kid was slashed in the same way a Trinity killer victim would be. Harrison then took the kid's knife and then stabbed himself to make it look like self defense. So it's possible that the kid was walking away, Harrison slashed him with the straight razor, and then grabbed the other knife and stabbed himself.

Edit: Jesus Christ, the kid at school with the drawings of him killing people and thinking about being a school shooter was named Ethan. What the gently caress, how?

We know Lithgow's showing up this season and that he only did a day of filming. Trinity is Harrison's dark passenger.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I hope you’re right and that ghost trinity gets arrested by ghost deb in a bizarre twist

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean this is the same show where Quinn, the Empathy Cop, deduced that Dexter was a serial killer from the tone of his report that Rita had died.

It's a show that doesn't really "get" trauma responses.

To be fair, this is an extremely realistic example. Plenty of lives have been ruined because a cop/cop adjacent didn't think someone's grief was griefy enough.

American cops are, generally, pretty bad at their jobs and let their "gut" lead them instead of evidence.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

BabyRyoga posted:

So where does this fall on the ol' Dexter Thermometer so far? Is it marking the spot between season 4's greatness and season 5's slow decent into bullshit, or it is just a fully erect season 8 bonehead boner?

This is better than season 4. Because season 4 was actually bad (and dumb).

Nep-Nep posted:

I hope you’re right and that ghost trinity gets arrested by ghost deb in a bizarre twist

That'd be something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

the_american_dream posted:

This and Dexter commenting on a drunken father not looking like he’s mourning (?)

Uhh, you mean the drunk dad who was celebrating the survival of his son, and not mourning?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah but we all know he’s faking it. Dexter obv does.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrison on :catdrugs:

Oh poo poo, surprise cameo.

:rip: Chloe. You were probably the smartest character on the show so you had to go.

I wonder if they will wrap up this Clancy Brown serial killer poo poo by mid season. I'm assuming he will try to kill Harrison to make up for Chloe and then he or Dexter will kill Clancy Brown.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but we all know he’s faking it. Dexter obv does.

No, what I'm saying is that tbe cover story is specifically that he's drinking because he's celebrating his son being alive. Grief doesn't come into the situation on any level. The argument that the scene demonstrated the show's failure to understand grief, or whatever, doesn't hold.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this episode's cameo isn't quite on the level of an appearance by the laguerta bench, but i still let out a whoop when i saw him

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
AnHELL!

Man, that expo-dump about Trinity, Deb, and Harrison was terrible.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Oh yeah.... Harrison.

:bravo:

"I'm a great loving dad."

Oh my god, I love all the subtle music references to the original Dexter. Like at the end when you see what was printed out.

Brass fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 5, 2021

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Argue posted:

I hope they reveal that John Lithgow (who we know is going to be appearing) is Harrison's dark passenger. I don't know how it would make sense but I want to see it, okay

Deb pulls of her face and it's JOHN loving LITHGOW

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I liked the part where Harrison fell backwards into the pool and Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter looked on in shock

That end reveal feels like the kind of thing the old series would have saved for the penultimate episode, at which point at the end of the finale she would just spontaneously explode and everyone in miami metro would rule it a suicide

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ah yeah, now that was a real classic Dexter episode; they've found the groove.

Special shout out to a key plot point in season 7, where Debra finally realized Dexter isn't a vigilante; he's been actively stalling and impeding investigations to fabricate "ones that got away," a revelation that neither he nor Ghost Deb apparently ever internalized.

No, what I'm saying is that tbe cover story is specifically that he's drinking because he's celebrating his son being alive. Grief doesn't come into the situation on any level. The argument that the scene demonstrated the show's failure to understand grief, or whatever, doesn't hold.

He sees a guy having a manic episode while drunk off his rear end, says "hold up, that's not what grief looks like!" and then gets the cover story about Matt facetiming. Him being "correct" in retrospect doesn't change how fuckin stupid the initial observation is.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

R. Guyovich posted:

this episode's cameo isn't quite on the level of an appearance by the laguerta bench, but i still let out a whoop when i saw him

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh poo poo, surprise cameo.

Slamhound posted:

AnHELL!

Man, that expo-dump about Trinity, Deb, and Harrison was terrible.

A surprise deus ex magical Batista shedding light on stuff. Imagine getting advice from him about serial killers. :lol:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder if they will wrap up this Clancy Brown serial killer poo poo by mid season. I'm assuming he will try to kill Harrison to make up for Chloe and then he or Dexter will kill Clancy Brown.

I don't think he kills boys. He's clearly reenacting something from his past. Then again, I don't think Dexter ever faked an OD.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also I really loved how fuckin inspired Angie was by the lecture on solving serial crimes by finding a common thread between the victims. No wonder she's spent decades looking for Clancy Brown.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Her going from a sort of truce with the podcaster to having a "field trip" together was a bit much too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Digging this season so far. The first few episodes were oh lawdddd but now with Harrison front and center it's been really entertaining so far. I'm actually looking forward to new episodes!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Dexter's attempted kill on the dealer may be his dumbest since the time he killed that guy at the airport.

Middle of the day, everyone in the bar saw his face, so incredibly public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I wonder if once Dexter's identity is revealed, he'll use the podcasters story and say "So many people are obsessed with that story, I had to disappear so other crazy people wouldn't track me down, and I sent Harrison away for his own good.