Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mine had enough bumps to remember his previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I can't believe that the Chrono Cross characters are voiced now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4h0QHZbUMg

Yeah it's a gacha game crossover event, but still! Serge says stuff!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I can't believe that the Chrono Cross characters are voiced now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4h0QHZbUMg

Yeah it's a gacha game crossover event, but still! Serge says stuff!

Lends some credence to rumours that Square’s working on a Chrono Cross remake/update.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I haven’t watched Defunctland in a while but I sat down and watched some of the Season 3 episodes tonight and it still amazes me how high-quality they are. It’s easily as good as many documentary shows or films I’ve seen and the length would have made it a perfect TV show

In particular I watched the episode about EPCOT, because it’s one of the most complicated parts of Disney’s legacy

https://youtu.be/tKYEXjMlKKQ

I’ve spent most of my life visiting Disney World on the reg and reading about the man and watching and visiting and engaging with his life’s work, and EPCOT as a true City of Tomorrow is one of those things that is very heavily mythologized, and as I’ve aged I’ve come to see it differently. When I was young I could see the retro-futurist designs of Tomorrowlands past and other things like the Monorail and the Contemporary Hotel and just think of how cool it would look and how cool an entire city built from the ground up like that would be. Now that I know exactly what that would have entailed (the city would essentially have you sign your rights away and would likely be just as exploitative as company towns around the turn of the previous century were) I look at it and think either “oh thank god this never came to fruition” or “this would never have actually worked”. At the same time he was engaged with enough good literature and research about city planning that there were loads of good ideas in there, and his eye for innovation was second to none meaning there were things in those plans that you could pull out and make today and they would still be helpful, especially his eye for transportation, which stood very much at odds with how transportation infrastructure was being developed at the time. A city designed to discourage car use with free, safe, and likely more energy efficient public transportation such as monorails and his PeopleMovers is the sort of wild idea that we ought to start implementing as climate change continues to bear down on us, but his ideas for closed circuit television constantly monitoring every aspect of community life is just a version of tech companies spying on us through the internet, but developed pre-the internet.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The Dark Id changed a lot, possibly bc of getting a kid and her dying a couple years ago.

Bobbin ThreadBare isn't exactly a centrist lover but more like, the kind of person that on his Deus Ex LP he argued with the NSF leader and the Hong Kong Bartender. Which incidently makes it somehow one of the best things I've watched relating to Deus Ex.

Zorak has moved on to doing retrospectives on the Gundam series and SKULL videos, helping Chorocojo on his Random Magic Card series. Both occasionally stream!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The beginning of Infinite is legit amazing when you first get there and you're exploring so I can see why people wanted to cling to it being good or whatever.

The funniest was the guy in the thread over in Games that didn't get Booker and Comstock were the same guy even after they'd finished the game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
There are also people who think Superman and Clark Kent just have coincidentally the exact same build, so that doesn't surprise me

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Wait, what’s this about Superman and Clark Kent?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

Wait, what’s this about Superman and Clark Kent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Nov7vSkmU&t=5s

This show ruled. Dunno if any notable YouTubers ever did a video essay on it but they should if they haven't.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Bioshock Infinite is fascinating because you can watch the narrative just fly apart as it approaches uncomfortable truth. The old timey racism is okay. It lets liberals feel like good people for rejecting it. But the cartoony depictions of racism aren’t insightful. They focus on how this particular strain of racism is uncool and out of date. The rejection is more about ascetics than morals.

The game tries the same over the top parody of capitalism but it can’t. The horror of capitalism is that no extreme is too extreme. It is a system in a feedback loop. Once the narrative has actual connections to people’s real lives then it is time to disengage and go into excuse mode. If there are infinite realities then nothing matters. The game has entered the mental realm of the liberal. Anything is permissible if you can imagine a world were it is permissible. As a liberal, you immediately start murdering leftists.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Libluini posted:

There are also people who think Superman and Clark Kent just have coincidentally the exact same build, so that doesn't surprise me

With how bad conspiracy people are at recognizing faces, I could see someone trying to leak Superman's identity to r/conspiracy and just getting totally blown off.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Honestly most people just sort of ignored the "both sides are bad" parts, from what I remember. They liked the crazy time travel stuff and the blimp floating city. They ignored it because it made them uncomfortable, and were giving Levine just massive benefits of doubt because of how Rapture was such a send-up of libertarianism they figured he wasn't really saying that it's just as bad to try and solve problems as cause them. I mean, Andrew Ryan kills himself because of his utter refusal to understand that people aren't perfectly able to make choices at all times.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Grondoth posted:

Honestly most people just sort of ignored the "both sides are bad" parts, from what I remember. They liked the crazy time travel stuff and the blimp floating city.

I mean, I would be 100% down for a shooter where I get to run through an alt-history old-timey sky-city if it's in a game that didn't try to both-sides chattel slavery.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNATsAa9sa0

New Sarah Z video.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

I mean, I would be 100% down for a shooter where I get to run through an alt-history old-timey sky-city if it's in a game that didn't try to both-sides chattel slavery.

Yeah exactly. From the maker of "Libertarianism is Stupid and Destructive" comes a game where you run and grapple through a blimp city full of racists that you shoot and use Not-Magic on was the game people expected to play, and when they got to the alternate timelines they pretty much tried their best to ignore that boy, sure seems like the game's saying the slave rebellion is in the wrong here. I think it wasn't until the awful DLC that managed to ruin what people liked about Bioshock's story that the perception on the game really turned.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i know these forums are not representative of public opinion but B:I's defenders here pretty much ceased to exist after burial at sea was released, and levine himself has basically ceased to exist along with them

the man had a tremendous amount of goodwill built up and pissed it all down his leg because he couldn't get over his moral cowardice

i read a few accounts that he was also a nightmarish prima donna as a director, but there's no way i could find them now

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
is spoony still in the game? still making review?????

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ash Crimson posted:

is spoony still in the game? still making review?????

we are all spoony

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wish Spoony would start a series reviewing therapy and psychiatric medication prescribed by a doctor.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

psychiatric medication prescribed by a doctor.

he already got that, but it got too expensive for him, and he had to stop taking his meds so he could continue eating instead

American healthcare in action, folks!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Well thats a nice companionpiece with the Jenny video I guess

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I wish Spoony would start a series reviewing therapy and psychiatric medication prescribed by a doctor.

gibbering in the corner

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Apropros of nothing:

Watching Cities Skylines youtubers is relaxing as hell. Half of them are at a Bob Ross level of painting cities.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

DeafNote posted:

Well thats a nice companionpiece with the Jenny video I guess

Yeah like I watched the Jenny video but I'm not sure I can sit through another 2 hours about loving Evan Hansen.

This is like when Hbomb made his Pathologic video and then pretty much everyone made their own video about it in the months after. I just don't care!

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Nov7vSkmU&t=5s

This show ruled. Dunno if any notable YouTubers ever did a video essay on it but they should if they haven't.

This on the other hand I do care about, New Adventures of Superman rocked and that scene's a banger.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Shyrka posted:

Yeah like I watched the Jenny video but I'm not sure I can sit through another 2 hours about loving Evan Hansen.

This is like when Hbomb made his Pathologic video and then pretty much everyone made their own video about it in the months after. I just don't care!

She starts off talking about how it got popular with teens cause of gay shipping and how she thinks it might've been unfairly maligned because of it, which is just a bad Sarah Z indicator.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Grondoth posted:

She starts off talking about how it got popular with teens cause of gay shipping and how she thinks it might've been unfairly maligned because of it, which is just a bad Sarah Z indicator.

I'm not sure what you mean, but "gay shipping" is like a massive pop culture thing and probably a big reason Supernatural got as big as it did.

Some article for the final season of Supernatural mentioned how a pairing of two male characters from the show was still the number 1 relationship pairing of anything on a major fanfiction site.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shyrka posted:

This on the other hand I do care about, New Adventures of Superman rocked and that scene's a banger.

In my experience, Teri Hatcher Lois gets a decent amount of (totally deserved) love, but not so for Dean Cain. It's true he wasn't the best "Superman" but he was the best Clark Kent. He combined that folksy small town charm with a level of wit that could match Lois and her city ways. They were perfect together, such amazing chemistry.

Just a dreadfully underrated show. My GF likes Smallville - and I guess I can't say if Smallville was good or not since I never watched it - but it sounds like it was a soap opera/romcom too, just aimed at teens. Maybe it had less comedy? I've heard it described as "Clark's Creek." Whatever the case it certainly lasted longer than L&C and that's a drat shame.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

pentyne posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, but "gay shipping" is like a massive pop culture thing and probably a big reason Supernatural got as big as it did.

Some article for the final season of Supernatural mentioned how a pairing of two male characters from the show was still the number 1 relationship pairing of anything on a major fanfiction site.

I'm aware of the phenomenon of shipping. It's why we have the goddamn omegaverse, after all, people couldn't stop imagining the brothers having sex with each other. I am also aware that people will write pages and pages of fanfiction about anything, especially anything where two characters have sex. I'm on the internet, after all.

Sarah Z's videos, when they engage with the fandom, are often times written as though you already have a sympathy towards the idea of it and are actually interested in what the fandom, as a whole, wants. It assumes you're coming from a position in which you've already interacted with the fans of something and care about them, rather than assuming you have no god drat idea about it. In this video she brings up that a lot of people thought Dear Even Hansen was about a kid coming out, even though there's literally no reason to believe this, a take I can't imagine coming from anywhere other than being immersed in people writing fanfiction. This is, I'm a be honest, a tedious viewpoint I am in no way interested in sitting through 2 hours of. The way you make long videos about stupid poo poo work is by bringing in your audience as you walk through the stupid poo poo. Starting off a video about a pretty deeply flawed musical with an astoundingly bad movie adaptation by telling me about the absolute stupidest part of it all as an introduction, rather than something buried deep in which at this point I might care about it, is a bad sign. Combined with her conclusion that the musical was just fine does not give me hope that the next 1 hour and 30 minutes will be interesting.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i also thought it was about a sad gay kid

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

i also thought it was about a sad gay kid

no, its about a sad straight kid and his homophobic friend

just guys being dudes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

both the stage show and the movie make it absolutely clear that there is definitely no homo, even for the retconned gay.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

ive never seen it, thats just what i thought it was. learning the real plot really blew my rear end off

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Finding out about the Dear Evan Hanson shipping just confused me because the entire premise requires the relationship to be fake.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grondoth posted:

She doesn't say that at all? I don't know where you're getting that from unless you're somehow merging where said there was a gay shipping culture around it, and a separate point about some of these "YA Musicals" get maligned because "ugh teenagers" entering Broadway circles for the first time.

Grondoth posted:

In this video she brings up that a lot of people thought Dear Even Hansen was about a kid coming out, even though there's literally no reason to believe this, a take I can't imagine coming from anywhere other than being immersed in people writing fanfiction.

The random tweets she was pulling were not fanfic writers... unless there's some dark secret I'm unaware of with Josh "the Comics Curmudgeon" Fruhlinger

https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/1394883288435593223

She could've been clearer but I think she's getting at there being a Mandela Effect where people were mixing it up with Love, Simon. And apparently this was widespread enough for Slate to write some article about it so I guess it's not all in her head: https://slate.com/culture/2021/09/dear-evan-hansen-gay-plot-musical.html

fun hater
May 24, 2009

he has gay hair

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

he has gay hair

Evan? I've never seen more hetero hair in my life

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fanfic is good

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Evan? I've never seen more hetero hair in my life

you must remember how bad we all looked in high school. haha r-right? we all did right??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

you must remember how bad we all looked in high school. haha r-right? we all did right??

I'm not going to pretend I dressed well or styled my hair well, but I definitely didn't look like a wax model of Howie Mandel from Bobby's World.