Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Weren't a lot of the 80's Lucha rings supposedly even worse than Boxing Rings for bumps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Is every battle royale having to be over the top elimination another Vinceism like 10 second count outs that could be done differently but because it's WWE it's assumed to be the standard in the west?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Weren't a lot of the 80's Lucha rings supposedly even worse than Boxing Rings for bumps?

No, they were boxing rings. They're still death.

fez_machine posted:

Is every battle royale having to be over the top elimination another Vinceism like 10 second count outs that could be done differently but because it's WWE it's assumed to be the standard in the west?

It's that and AJPW battle Royales being loving atrocious also help that because unlike a lot of WWE things, the other way is wrong.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fez_machine posted:

It's not really a Vinceism, they pre-date Vince. It more comes from the idea that a match where you have to throw someone over the top is extremely dangerous, to show just how old it is.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Has the wwe ever officially admitted it sweetens or fakes crowd noise?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Sometimes I'll look at the Career tab on a wrestler's Cagematch page and scroll down to the matches-per-month timeline. Sometimes I see stuff like 25-28 matches per month for several months. Just... HOW?
And those records are usually incomplete.

I don't know how much territory guys are exaggerating when they say they worked every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There's also a reason so many wrestlers died by 40 of painkiller overdose

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I heard a funny fan exchange on NXTuk. It was Pete Dunne/Wolfgang and they were outside with the ref telling Wolfgang to get back in and Wolfgang arguing with them and you can hear a fan clearly yell "Hey that's the ref! You listen to him!". Something about it was super wholesome. What's the weirdest or funniest exchange you've heard between the fans and wrestlers in person or on TV?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I heard a funny fan exchange on NXTuk. It was Pete Dunne/Wolfgang and they were outside with the ref telling Wolfgang to get back in and Wolfgang arguing with them and you can hear a fan clearly yell "Hey that's the ref! You listen to him!". Something about it was super wholesome. What's the weirdest or funniest exchange you've heard between the fans and wrestlers in person or on TV?

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZztCCZ1lIXs

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

lmao The best thing I've ever seen Randy Orton do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know how much territory guys are exaggerating when they say they worked every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Bruno turned down the NWA title because he never would get to see his family if he was champion

And then there is Mexico where Jericho was on a lighter schedule than many top stars when he was doing 6-7 matches per week. (He had actual days off and was only doing 2 matches on Sunday.) 10 wasn't unheard of!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Bruno turned down the NWA title because he never would get to see his family if he was champion

And then there is Mexico where Jericho was on a lighter schedule than many top stars when he was doing 6-7 matches per week. (He had actual days off and was only doing 2 matches on Sunday.) 10 wasn't unheard of!

A lot of the time when the NWA champ lost the belt, it's because they wanted or needed time off. Terry Funk basically said he won the belt because his dad put him forth as a candidate when Jack Brisco wanted to get off the road.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why does AJ Styles wear stupid gloves? Does he have heinie hands?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Halloween Jack posted:

This fun, because it shows how regularly Dragongate have done since launch in 2004. But look at how many shows they put on in August 04 & 05

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

algebra testes posted:

No, they were boxing rings. They're still death.

I think it was in Jericho's first book where his opponent tells him "No bumps tonight, working in a boxing ring."

Jericho thought "how bad could it be" and called to be hip tossed. Almost poo poo himself on impact.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Has it ever been revealed why Hogan was willing to put the Rock over twice without getting a win over him?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Also obligatory:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ88g2Lu-Hg

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fatherofmustard posted:

Has it ever been revealed why Hogan was willing to put the Rock over twice without getting a win over him?

He had no leverage and Rock is a bigger star. Plus Hogan got the strap not long after the 1st loss anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherofmustard posted:

He didn't have creative control in his 2002 contract and was smart enough to know that wrestling Rock would help him more than it helped Rock.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah if you watch their wrestlemania match, hulk somehow managed to go over without actually winning the match

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Hogan was booked strongly but not like Hogan-strong (or Roman Reigns strong) in his initial full-timeish return to WWF/E in 2002:

03/11/2002: Hogan/Hall/Nash d. Rock & Austin (Raw)
03/17/2002: Rock d. Hogan (Wrestlemania)
03/18/2002: Rock/Hogan d. Hall/Nash by countout (Raw)
03/25/2002: Hall/Nash/Waltman d. Rock/Hogan by DQ (Raw)
03/26/2002: Hogan/Rock/Kane d. Hall/Nash/Waltman (Smackdown)
04/16/2002: Hogan/Edge n/c Jericho/Angle (Smackdown)
04/21/2002: Hogan d. HHH (Backlash)
04/29/2002: Hogan n/c Regal (Raw)
04/30/2002: Hogan d. Jericho (Smackdown)
05/07/2002: Hogan/Edge n/c Jericho/Angle (Smackdown)
05/13/2002: Hogan d. Flair (Raw)
05/19/2002: Undertaker d. Hogan (Judgment Day)
06/04/2002: HHH d. Hogan (Smackdown)
06/23/2002: Angle d. Hogan (King of the Ring)

06/25/2002: Hogan d. Jericho by DQ (Smackdown)
07/02/2002: Hogan/Edge d. Billy & Chuck (Smackdown)
07/09/2002: Hogan/Edge d. Billy & Chuck (Smackdown)
07/16/2002: Hogan/Edge/Rikishi d. The Unamericans (Smackdown)
07/21/2002: Storm/Christian d. Hogan/Edge (Vengeance)
07/23/2002: Hogan/Rock d. Storm/Christian by DQ (Smackdown)
07/30/2002: Hogan d. Angle by DQ (Smackdown)
08/06/2002: Lesnar d. Hogan (Smackdown)

Still a lot of wins and gently caress finishes, but more actual losses than you might expect. And most of them were clean/clean-ish (Undertaker hit him with a chair in their title match, but Rock/Angle/HHH/Lesnar were just losses). Then he disappeared for awhile and came back...

02/23/2003: Rock d. Hogan (No Way Out)
03/30/2003: Hogan d. McMahon (Wrestlemania)

Then Hogan disappeared again and Mr. America started working on Smackdown, going 1-3 in the summer of 2003. Then some sort of contract disagreement led to both Hogan and Mr. America disappearing for almost two years. When Hogan returned, it was more Hoganish in almost every way:

05/01/2005: Hogan/HBK d. Hassan/Daivari (Backlash)
06/26/2005: Hogan/HBK/Cena d. Jericho/Christian/Tomko (Raw)
07/04/2005: Hogan/HBK d. Angle/Carlito (Raw)
08/15/2005: Hogan d. Angle by DQ (Raw)
08/21/2005: Hogan d. HBK (Summerslam)
08/20/2006: Hogan d. Orton (Summerslam)

And then age and presumably not finding a third person to fall for the "I'll give you the rematch brother" trick led to that being his last match to date for WWE.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 5, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Critical posted:

Jericho thought "how bad could it be" and called to be hip tossed. Almost poo poo himself on impact.

It's a little funnier than that. He tries to hip toss his opponent who said nope, reverses it and then Jericho nearly poops himself upon landing and was like "oh." Never left their feet the rest of the match.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
When western wrestlers talk about working with Japanese talent some names always come up - Okada, Ishii, Tanahashi, Suzuki, to a lesser extent Ibushi, Takagi or TAICHI - but one name that I feel I have never seen come up is Naito despite being the third name in the Okada-Tanahashi-Naito loop with the fourth position being a swing spot occupied by at different points Nakamura, Omega, Styles, White or Ospreay.

Is this reflective of the general western view vs Japanese view of Naito that they just don't rate him on the same level of the other talents, even people further down the card? And if this era of NJPW supremacy gets viewed with pillars will Naito end up being viewed as the Akira Taue of the era?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lid posted:

When western wrestlers talk about working with Japanese talent some names always come up - Okada, Ishii, Tanahashi, Suzuki, to a lesser extent Ibushi, Takagi or TAICHI - but one name that I feel I have never seen come up is Naito despite being the third name in the Okada-Tanahashi-Naito loop with the fourth position being a swing spot occupied by at different points Nakamura, Omega, Styles, White or Ospreay.

Is this reflective of the general western view vs Japanese view of Naito that they just don't rate him on the same level of the other talents, even people further down the card? And if this era of NJPW supremacy gets viewed with pillars will Naito end up being viewed as the Akira Taue of the era?

Off the top of my head I cant really think of a foreign wrestler thats had any real sort of programme with Naito

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I mean Naito was the guy Jericho wanted for his second and lengthiest program in NJPW. If you're going to make any historical comparison with him, he's the Chono to Okada and Tana's Hashimoto and Mutoh I guess.

The difference in western perception to him is kinda weird though. I saw Dave voted for Ibushi and Ishii on his HOF ballot and not Naito which would definitely be seen as weird in Japan, especially Ishii. Match quality is a matter of taste but I don't see how Ishii comes close on influence or drawing power.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I mean Naito was the guy Jericho wanted for his second and lengthiest program in NJPW. If you're going to make any historical comparison with him, he's the Chono to Okada and Tana's Hashimoto and Mutoh I guess.

The difference in western perception to him is kinda weird though. I saw Dave voted for Ibushi and Ishii on his HOF ballot and not Naito which would definitely be seen as weird in Japan, especially Ishii. Match quality is a matter of taste but I don't see how Ishii comes close on influence or drawing power.

Ishii's case is entirely match quality. Because he's #1.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Why does Eddie Guerrero seem to get more tribute spots than all other dead or retired wrestlers combined?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
He was a top level worker, top level personality, main eventer in WWE, one of the most popular Latino wrestlers ever in the US, and died when a lot of current wrestlers were kids or on the come up. Also he didn’t murder his family.

e: Randy Savage is probably #2 and the difference seems pretty logical when you factor everything in.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 5, 2021

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

He was also one of the workrate/cruiserweight guys in WCW who almost always had the best matches on the card and inspired a lot of smaller wrestlers who are now grown and becoming stars themselves.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Web Jew.0 posted:

He was a top level worker, top level personality, main eventer in WWE, one of the most popular Latino wrestlers ever in the US, and died when a lot of current wrestlers were kids or on the come up. Also he didn’t murder his family.

e: Randy Savage is probably #2 and the difference seems pretty logical when you factor everything in.

Also, generally speaking, really well liked by his peers

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGOKAVPYZOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o77NwC2TLR8

Maybe not very wholesome though!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Listening to the WOR podcast about the HOF and hearing Dave say that Naito got hurt by the pandemic is odd and I can see why people could feel that way but also he ended up drawing very well during restrictions and drew better than other NJPW guys at the top have done so in a way it's an actual point in his favor

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Did WWE ever have a policy that they wouldn’t hire a woman who had previously posed nude? I seem to recall there was something like this in the early 2000s, with the implication that WWE would try to monetize any playboy appearances like they had with Sable.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Did WWE ever have a policy that they wouldn’t hire a woman who had previously posed nude? I seem to recall there was something like this in the early 2000s, with the implication that WWE would try to monetize any playboy appearances like they had with Sable.

I don't know if it was an actual policy, but they definitely did a massive 180 on it in the mid/late 2000s, because before that they were actively pushing every Diva to do Playboy for several years. I think Stacy Kiebler even said she had an angle that was de-pushed because she refused to pose nude, so she did a Maxim lingerie shoot instead as a compromise. Then as things shifted to PG, they suddenly didn't want people Googling their employees and finding nude pictures.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was Adam Bomb supposed to be a bomb?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He was supposed to be a guy who grew up too close to Three Mile Island and became a nuclear monster

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Would GCW be considered the third biggest US fed? If not, why?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TV Zombie posted:

Would GCW be considered the third biggest US fed? If not, why?

TNA still have a TV show and and MLW exists. I haven't seen crowd sizes for MLW post pandemic but pre-pandemic they were drawing surprisingly well using Mexican stars in the right markets.

Then there is New Japan Strong who while they don't draw well for New Japan, they draw better than the average GCW show.

As a live show entity they are probably #4 right now. You could argue #3.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think I read somewhere they claimed 5000 in attendance for MLW this weekend, which seems like a hell of a number.

It was cross promoted with a Mexican promotion and in Mexico though so no idea how much of that if any at all would be because it’s MLW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I think I read somewhere they claimed 5000 in attendance for MLW this weekend, which seems like a hell of a number.

It was cross promoted with a Mexican promotion and in Mexico though so no idea how much of that if any at all would be because it’s MLW.

It's because it was co-promotion with the Crash, very little to do with MLW.