Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
An inverse Pete story!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Booking someone a major trip without their knowledge or permission is such a ridiculously presumptuous thing to do. I'd find it kind of weird if my husband did that, let alone a childhood friend who I hadn't been close to in years.

The guy is clearly a total sleaze if he's willing to splurge on international travel to impress someone who's in a relationship, especially after buying knockoff perfume for the woman he was already dating.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
So she presumably saw the perfume story if she uses Reddit so much? Yikes!

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

OhAreThey posted:

Boyfriend has a pants-wetting fetish and tried to engineer a situation that would result if girlfriend peeing herself. When she finally copped a squat in the woods instead of peeing her pants, boyfriend got mad.

Yeah, it's this.

Hughlander posted:

There's a 21st century version of that called Roko's basilisk.

Basically if you know that in the future that it is possible to create an AI, and then if you do not dedicated your life to tirelessly bring about it's creation, once it does come about it will torture you as an ex-post-facto incentive to do devout your life. And merely knowing about this conjecture is enough to either drat you to torture or cause you to devote your life to bringing about the AI singularity. (Hence reading this is enough to turn you to stone ala a basilisk)

gently caress! I just lost The Game!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He should have just given her the WikiHow entry on the Courtesy Pee instead of this trying-to-make-her-pee nonsense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

...Courtesy Pee...

What is something I'm not going to google?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

pentyne posted:

The tabloid media over there treats them worse then Muslim immigrants if you can believe it.

This is always a handy reference.

Couple of pages back, but: in the UK our current Conservative government had "cultural genocide of the Roma" as one of their election promises, and if it wasn't for Covid they would absolutely be getting on with that right now.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

What is something I'm not going to google?

The first F Plus WikiHow episode was very educational.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Evil Willow posted:

Dude broke up with that girlfriend, and now...........

AITA for gifting my friend a trip to Greece

When they dated as kids they were 13 and 15 but are now 19 and 23?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
One of them spent a lot of time on trains.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Rome is in italy

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Is it possible to have feelings for someone that your in love with but your okay with want not wanting more beyond snuggling and enjoying each other’s company from time to time? Been dealing with this person for over 10 years off and I’m. I’m the person that wants more. :smith:

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Hughlander posted:

There's a 21st century version of that called Roko's basilisk.

Basically if you know that in the future that it is possible to create an AI, and then if you do not dedicated your life to tirelessly bring about it's creation, once it does come about it will torture you as an ex-post-facto incentive to do devout your life. And merely knowing about this conjecture is enough to either drat you to torture or cause you to devote your life to bringing about the AI singularity. (Hence reading this is enough to turn you to stone ala a basilisk)

I love how the guy who came up with this thought experiment got yelled at by techno-futurists for coming up with a "genuinely dangerous thought":

quote:

You may be a bit confused, but the founder of LessWrong, Eliezer Yudkowsky, was not. He reacted with horror:

Listen to me very closely, you idiot.
YOU DO NOT THINK IN SUFFICIENT DETAIL ABOUT SUPERINTELLIGENCES CONSIDERING WHETHER OR NOT TO BLACKMAIL YOU. THAT IS THE ONLY POSSIBLE THING WHICH GIVES THEM A MOTIVE TO FOLLOW THROUGH ON THE BLACKMAIL.
You have to be really clever to come up with a genuinely dangerous thought. I am disheartened that people can be clever enough to do that and not clever enough to do the obvious thing and KEEP THEIR IDIOT MOUTHS SHUT about it, because it is much more important to sound intelligent when talking to your friends.
This post was STUPID.

https://slate.com/technology/2014/07/rokos-basilisk-the-most-terrifying-thought-experiment-of-all-time.html

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

therattle posted:

this stood out to me, too

both of these stories sound so contrived, so i appreciate the twist of the ex popping up in the thread to call him a shithead

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

therattle posted:

Edit: ignore me, I'm dumb

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Ah, the ineffectual dork web.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

quote:

my friend and i would leave for rome together

I'm changing the country to greece to protect my identity.

As I rode to work on my vespa by the famous greek coliseum, the familiar cries of pizza and spaghetti vendors in the background I thought to myself how lucky I am to live here in Greece.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

False Toaster posted:

Is it possible to have feelings for someone that your in love with but your okay with want not wanting more beyond snuggling and enjoying each other’s company from time to time? Been dealing with this person for over 10 years off and I’m. I’m the person that wants more. :smith:

It's possible, sure, but it's also entirely possible that holding out hope for more and never getting it is causing you more harm than good. Only you can answer that, and only by taking a long hard think about your own emotional well-being.

It may be better for you to take a step back and downgrade the relationship from, I guess you'd call it pseudo-romantic?, to strictly platonic or even casual friendship. It sounds like the current setup is not actually making you happy.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

What to do about religious conflict

quote:

Hi! I (f25) am struggling with what to do in a specific instance where my own religious beliefs (Christian) conflict directly with my husband’s (m29) family’s beliefs (Hindu). Note- my husband believes in nothing but generally pacifies his family, this is the first time it has been a problem. We have been together for 5 years and married 1. In this instance we are required by his family to hold a housewarming ceremony where we honor their gods, represented by idols. I specifically believe that idols are forbidden and we have never displayed one in our home before or done any ceremony showcasing one, but I did know he has a small one in a box somewhere. (Didn’t love it but didn’t want to mention it and ask him to get rid of it.) I feel a place with an idol in it is tainted and evil but I also know that is really overdramatic and hurtful to those who believe in them. I only mention it so the depth of my feelings on the subject is understood. If he believed in these idols and also was invested in this I would bite my tongue since I knowingly got myself into this when I married him- but he really doesn’t care and just wants his family pacified. I thought I could just ignore it and do the ceremony with them but the closer we get to time the more panicked and sick I feel. I really don’t want that in our new home. I respectfully asked about the ceremony and if there was a way to do it without the idols and expressed that I didn’t like them being there but he said they were crucial. I didn’t push it but I don’t know what to do with this direct conflict. Any suggestions?
I almost want to put my foot down and be like that’s not coming in my house. But I also don’t want to hurt anyones feelings. But my feelings are important to.

TD:LR I don’t want idol worship in our new house but husbands family demands it. He doesn’t care but wants to pacify them. Should I fight it or let it go.

Hey reddit, my husband and his family are disgusting, hellbound pagans,

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ah, well, in the end iconoclasts and icon worshippers are always able to work out a comfy middle ground, I'm sure they'll be fine

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Solution is to put up a statue of Jesus on the cross. Everyone will be happy!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

How bloody is this guy gonna be?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Good food and a good time. No!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

A statue of Jesus and Krishna high-fiving

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I feel like it really turns on her (left unsaid) level of devoutness. If she's generally religious on the day to day then I'd probably accomodate her wishes but if it's just cultural Christianism panic about werewolves and pslycics she can get hosed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not gonna end well given fear and hate of his religious practices is literally a fundamental tenet of hers.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A statue of Jesus and Krishna high-fiving

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

exmachina posted:

But when most people say they wash their chicken they mean in a bowl with lemon juice and salt, which is not really a problem. It is closer to a brine than to "clean" the chicken.

No they don't. They mean rinsing it off with running water in the sink.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And fishing stray bits of chicken out of the garbage disposal

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Brawnfire posted:

Ah, well, in the end iconoclasts and icon worshippers are always able to work out a comfy middle ground, I'm sure they'll be fine

I love these ones: "The made-up stories I believe in say that your made-up stories are evil and allowing you to act out yours near me will make me a bad person!"

100% they get a christmas tree every year.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

compshateme85 posted:

100% they get a christmas tree every year.

That's a good point; has anyone suggested they take the usual route and just make up a reason the Hindu icon is a tortured metaphor for Jesus and the Resurrection? Keep appropriating stuff, guys, the whole Christ mythic cycle is a universal solvent!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I thought Hindus took in Jesus as another facet of one of their gods?

At least the Hindu gods seem pretty cool.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

religion sounds exhausting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hindus throw up their hands "oh no a weird foreign god, we're undone, no room for that in our pantheon" lmao sit the gently caress down y'all we been at this for millennia, let's give this dude extra arms and some stuff to hold

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I feel like it really turns on her (left unsaid) level of devoutness. If she's generally religious on the day to day then I'd probably accomodate her wishes but if it's just cultural Christianism panic about werewolves and pslycics she can get hosed.

My guess is that it's the latter. The true believer fundies I grew up with would never have married someone who didn't at least pay lip service to some form of Christianity because they wouldn't want to build a life with someone they thought was going to hell.

I wonder if she went into this marriage assuming that her husband's atheism meant he'd also dropped all of his family's culture and traditions.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
this loving donkey.

AITA for borrowing some money from my wife's savings account?

My wife and I have joined finances but she has a savings account her grandpa set up for her before he passed. It's around 40k in savings. We both work IT jobs and get paid fairly well (I want to note that we do not live in America so wages differ) .

Shes stated to me that that money are for either an emergency or in case we plan on buying our own house. She said that in case I need money for an emergency I'm allowed to use. I also have access to the account but so far I didn't use anything.

2 months ago my sister asked me to lend her 5k because she wanted to pay for her wedding dress but her card had expired and kept declining. I lend her 5k but since I didn't have the full amount of my own paycheck, I borrowed money from my wife's savings. My sister said she'd pay me back once her new card was ready which would take less than two days. I didn't tell my wife this because I'd replace the money in two days.

It's been 2 months now and my sister is putting off on giving back the money she borrowed. She keeps finding excuses on why she couldn't give it back every time. My wife hasn't checked the savings account in ages but what if she happens to check it and she figures out 5k is missing?

My best friend says I am honest with her and I should accept the consequences of my own actions for not notifying my wife and not letting her know about the money missing. AITA? I feel very guilty for this and for trusting my sister.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ah yes, the ol' "I married into a family I genuinely consider to be capital E Evil, and somehow this has given rise to conflict. How can I make them see my point of view?" conundrum.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If he's paid well from his IT job maybe he should just pay it back from his salary. Then if sister ever pays back the money, they've got 45k.

I don't think I'd ever lend anything to a family member I couldn't afford to simply forgive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hellblazer187 posted:

If he's paid well from his IT job maybe he should just pay it back from his salary. Then if sister ever pays back the money, they've got 45k.

I don't think I'd ever lend anything to a family member I couldn't afford to simply forgive.

A lot of people have learned the hard lesson of never lend to friends or family. You can give gifts, and maybe you might get a gift back later on, but don't count on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

given how gullible he is, I can only assume his paychecks are going to help down on their luck Nigerian princes