Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

particulate matter!

particulates, matter!

i've started wearing an n95 during my bicycle commute about a week ago. i should have done this way earlier because i have to ride over 3 major roadways and i have since stopped waking up congested with bloody snot. no i don't have any allergies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a friend who used to a PT for a professional cycling team. He didn't know Lance personally, but he knew all the people that turned on him. Anyway Lance is well known to be a psychopath, and he relayed an anecdote about Lance cycling, and a truck drove past him super close. He caught up to the truck at a stop sign, and proceeded to pull the driver out of the car and beat the poo poo out of him.

so... lance good?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

actionjackson posted:

I have a friend who used to a PT for a professional cycling team. He didn't know Lance personally, but he knew all the people that turned on him. Anyway Lance is well known to be a psychopath, and he relayed an anecdote about Lance cycling, and a truck drove past him super close. He caught up to the truck at a stop sign, and proceeded to pull the driver out of the car and beat the poo poo out of him.

so... lance good?

Yeah this is every pro cyclist, and no millionaire roid ragers are not good

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah this is every pro cyclist, and no millionaire roid ragers are not good

but, car

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sometimes bad people happen to each other.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

docbeard posted:

Sometimes bad people happen to each other.

:hai:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Another person hit and killed by a driver here. There was no sidewalk, so he was walking along the shoulder. The driver isn't being charged. Tbh municipalities should be held liable for these things.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
Recently a local town had the intersection of a bike path and a county road re-aligned so that instead of directing bicycle traffic briefly onto a parallel (to the bike path) road for the intersection, bicycle traffic now can stay straight.

The town told the engineer to make this new intersection function as traffic calming (so that the path would be raised) but the engineer made the inclines on either side so long and slight that there is no calming effect whatsoever. To add insult to injury, the design also installed four "dismount bikes" signs, two on each side of the intersection. Just completely car-brained garbage for a relatively dense small town commercial area.

Been thinking about going out and installing some signs for the county road.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/jedweeks/status/1466813467797725186

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I love that America has had a gradual progression of cars not being evil enough and a widespread demand for more evil

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Another person hit and killed by a driver here. There was no sidewalk, so he was walking along the shoulder. The driver isn't being charged. Tbh municipalities should be held liable for these things.

a 3yo kid was killed outside a daycare this week here. no talk of changing the street design or prevent this but there is an investigation as to why the child was on the road

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

perhaps we should do investigations about why cars on the roads

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah I love when cycling infrastructure is tacked onto an existing road such that the road and car traffic is given right of way at all times and the bicycle lane is constantly disrupted preventing you from maintaining any speed. There was a particular cycleway in Sydney I used to ride on that was completely separated from the main road that it ran parallel to, which should have been awesome for cycling on, except they decided that in each of the dozen or more side-streets that connected to this main road which the cycleway had to cross that the cars would get right of way and the bicycles would have to stop and wait at traffic lights. So instead of cruising along a long straight road like the cars you'd have to constantly stop, wait, speed up, slow down, stop etc. The worst one was right at the bottom of a long hill and just before a long climb and would inevitably be read for cyclists, so you'd have to come to a complete stop at the bottom of the hill and then start with no speed going into the climb.

That's one thing I've seen done really well in Europe, in a lot of cases where they have a cycleway running parallel to a road with side-streets the cycleway will have right of way going straight over cars turning into or out of the side-streets. Of course that wouldn't work in places like Australia because no way in hell would any car look to see if there were any cyclists coming along a cycleway before turning into or out of a side street, so even if you technically had right of way on the bike you'd get turned into red mist on day 1.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Posting in here to say I hate automobiles.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
guerilla activism ftw
https://twitter.com/byJoshuaDavis/status/1467221732180201479?t=X6SRn543lATYfmpg_nw1nw&s=19

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

did they remove the bottom panel on the back too? lol

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

200lbs each, i hope

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
we are so nice to cars... that car is a perfect candidate for rapid carbon sequestration

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

every time i see a car parked in a bike lane with its windows and side view mirrors still intact, i hang my head in shame at how cowed my people are

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

God Hole posted:

every time i see a car parked in a bike lane with its windows and side view mirrors still intact, i hang my head in shame at how cowed my people are

This is a common response that gets posted in reply to just about any car in bike lane video, but have you actually done it?... Anyone who rides a bike a lot knows that a driver will fuckin kill you if you so much as touch their car with your pinky, and then literally everyone will take the driver's side except for a handful of Twitter urbanists and cyclists

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
it's not my fault that my unmaintained bike squirts brake fluid out randomly, i don't even know why my bike takes brake fluid

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Polo-Rican posted:

This is a common response that gets posted in reply to just about any car in bike lane video, but have you actually done it?... Anyone who rides a bike a lot knows that a driver will fuckin kill you if you so much as touch their car with your pinky, and then literally everyone will take the driver's side except for a handful of Twitter urbanists and cyclists

if there is time and privacy enough to place (and fill?) 6 big water jugs around an illegally parked car, well ya know just about anything can happen

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Polo-Rican posted:

What is the reason for this again? Not car-brain lol obviously but the psychological reasoning being it's an extension of their bodies or something insane

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Harik posted:

it's not my fault that my unmaintained bike squirts brake fluid out randomly, i don't even know why my bike takes brake fluid

Morbid curiosity, looked it up.
https://allcarfix.com/what-eats-car-paint-the-fastest-21-harmful-substances/

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Milo and POTUS posted:

What is the reason for this again? Not car-brain lol obviously but the psychological reasoning being it's an extension of their bodies or something insane

it’s usually the most expensive thing a person can claim to own in our hell world and Americans are taught property trumps people

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
and Americans are also taught that any aggression should be responded to with violence

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I was searching for a multi-car accident news story to see if anyone died before I posted it here. Used the terms Multi-Car pileup LA and lol there's just so many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9yqXzZ16ns
Linked because of the unknown status of a few people.

The thread might appreciate this one out of the too many pileups to sort through.

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/news/crime_police/article_59e0b426-53e5-11ec-a0dd-5b72ae4dde09.html posted:

Multiple people were injured in a five-car crash in Lafayette Thursday night that was the result of a police chase of a driver who stole a vehicle in Duson, authorities said.
No other details about the crash were immediately available.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao they just keep coming driving 70 mph into what's obviously a car wreck. carbrain is so deadly. Also the 110 was a mistake

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Vomik posted:

and Americans are also taught that any aggression should be responded to with violence

also if you're in a car you're the king of the road, and the damned impudence of a mere cyclist or pedestrian to touch your car... why, it's already asking too much that they be allowed to slow down the progress of important people with important things to do, getting in your way in crosswalks and cycling so slowly in the middle of the road, the absolute nerve, but now they have the arrogance to actually profane your driving machine with their dirty hands.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

nomad2020 posted:

I was searching for a multi-car accident news story to see if anyone died before I posted it here. Used the terms Multi-Car pileup LA and lol there's just so many.

Getting into some sort of accident at night and having people just fly at me is my nightmare

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

also going to double post because holy poo poo LA drivers are an extra level of psychotic lol

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

nomad2020 posted:

The thread might appreciate this one out of the too many pileups to sort through.

Lol at crashing into a stationary vehicle lit up like a Christmas tree, just a total lack of ability to perceive distance and speed

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Wolfy posted:

Getting into some sort of accident at night and having people just fly at me is my nightmare

lol half of the comments are blaming the guy filming for . . . not activating his inertial dampening field I guess? car is never wrong so human must be wrong

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

God Hole posted:

if there is time and privacy enough to place (and fill?) 6 big water jugs around an illegally parked car, well ya know just about anything can happen

Spending 90 minutes filling and arranging jugs (???) to own the cagers

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Lol at crashing into a stationary vehicle lit up like a Christmas tree, just a total lack of ability to perceive distance and speed

well there are people who can't even make their cars drive within a lane without distractions

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Wolfy posted:

also going to double post because holy poo poo LA drivers are an extra level of psychotic lol

It's what happens when you take a bunch of people from all around the world, who have developed driving habits to their areas, and let the loose on each other with commuting times that can reach up to 3 hours one way a day.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
definitely, a nonzero number of these senseless collisions are people cruising around at 70 mph in their death machine while high on opioids

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2724775

quote:

Results A total of 36 642 drivers involved in 18 321 fatal 2-vehicle crashes were included. The most common driving error leading to fatal 2-vehicle crashes was failure to keep in lane (7535 [41%]). Drivers culpable of initiating the crashes were more likely than their nonculpable counterparts to test positive for prescription opioids (918 [5.0%] vs 549 [3.0%]; P < .001), alcohol (BAC ≥0.01 g/dL, 5258 [28.7%] vs 1815 [9.9%]; P < .001), and both substances (1.0% vs 0.3%, P < .001). The adjusted odds ratio of crash initiation was 2.18 (95% CI, 1.91-2.48) for drivers testing positive for prescription opioids compared with drivers testing negative, and increased with BACs (BAC 0.01-0.07 g/dL: adjusted odds ratio, 1.97; 95% CI, 1.75-2.22; BAC ≥0.08 g/dL: adjusted odds ratio, 8.20; 95% CI, 7.42-9.07; compared with BAC <0.01 g/dL). There was no significant interaction effect on crash initiation between prescription opioid use and alcohol use.

Can't wait till grandpa nods off then kills me and my whole family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

btw, the interaction sentence means that the effect of alcohol on the outcome does not depend on prescription opioid dosage, and vice versa