Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Somewhat related to this, there are places in the US that have ground rent, which I think dates back to like feudal land ownership bullshit, but basically you buy the property, but technically are just leasing the land from someone. They can be inherited just like any other sort of property. There's no obligation on the part of the person collecting their check on the rent to actually do anything.

I looked it up and apparently this was reformed somewhat recently in Maryland because ground rent owners were seizing properties over unpaid ground rent, which are yearly payments of like $50. I think it's still possible for them to do that though it doesn't really seem like it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah I’ve also seen this happen a couple times and found dead squirrels who were ostensibly killed by a fall. They might not be heavy but they’re still squishy little mammals and pavement is hard.

My coworker and I were walking across campus a few years ago and found a freshly dead (still warm) squirrel under the branch it fell off and we were looking at it when a guy walked up and was really concerned. He asked if we should call someone and when I said “No man, there will be a crow here soon,” he was not satisfied.

How do you guys know it didn’t die then fall to the ground?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
It had a comical smoking crater around it from the impact and it breathed its dying breath in their arms in very melodramatic fashion.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
did the squirrel ever truly live

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I bet I could beat a squirrel in a fight.
Siri, give me a practical and down to earth example of hubris

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Memento posted:

Also governments

"Yes this is the AUSTRALIAN TAXATION OFFICE with a VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE in your SPECIFIC GOVERNMENT INBOX that we cannot send straight to your email because REASONS"

Then you open it and it's like "tax tips for small businesses" which I am not nor ever have been.

look at mr big business over here getting secret hints from the tax office :jerkbag:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

immolationsex posted:

Siri, give me a practical and down to earth example of hubris

This is some classic David and Goliath poo poo, you try to fight a squirrel and that little dude is gonna climb on you and take you down Shadow of the Colossus style.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Regarde Aduck posted:

How do you guys know it didn’t die then fall to the ground?

There was actually a squirrel shaped hole in the ground, and it had climbed back out of that hole onto the sidewalk and finally died right next to it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Memento posted:

Then you open it and it's like "tax tips for small businesses" which I am not nor ever have been.

Gregor Samsa but he wakes up as a used panty vending machine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/theflophousepod/status/1467200713289711619

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/MrGordian/status/1466892326006108175

The whole thread is excellent
:radcat:

E:
https://twitter.com/amovy0/status/1466800961138135045

BallerBallerDillz has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Dec 4, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://twitter.com/SketchesbyBoze/status/1400150188195401729?s=20

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Memento posted:

Also governments

"Yes this is the AUSTRALIAN TAXATION OFFICE with a VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE in your SPECIFIC GOVERNMENT INBOX that we cannot send straight to your email because REASONS"

I had a doctor once who sent me a “VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE” through their patient portal and it was that a doctor in their office (not even mine) was retiring. They could not understand why I was mad at them.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

This was a magnificent thread, but honestly it only half captures how incredibly weird the book is.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

With CGI, its time has come.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mauser posted:

Somewhat related to this, there are places in the US that have ground rent, which I think dates back to like feudal land ownership bullshit, but basically you buy the property, but technically are just leasing the land from someone. They can be inherited just like any other sort of property. There's no obligation on the part of the person collecting their check on the rent to actually do anything.
This is still routine in the UK, and there's an ongoing scandal about the entirely-legal practice of jacking up ground rents on people's houses.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Milo and POTUS posted:

I loving hate reddit

https://twitter.com/doc_fathom/status/1466885137107505167

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

The Neal! posted:

The network I worked for (SBS)
Why didn’t you reboot Life Support?

But seriously that was a very interesting post, I did a bunch of study at uni on the ABC and SBS charters and it would certainly add a big wrinkle to organising the programming.

Hollandia has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Dec 5, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/chaostiktoks/status/1467207510499246086

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hollandia posted:

Why didn’t you reboot Life Support?

But seriously that was a very interesting post, I did a bunch of study at uni on the ABC and SBS charters and it would certainly add a big wrinkle to organising the programming.

The Backburner diaspora are still cranking out awesome stuff at least. You know that someone who wrote for that is worth pyaing attention to wherever they landed.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

That made me laugh far harder than it should've because ever since we found one in my buddy's grill cabinet all of them regardless of male or female have been dubbed "FRANK"

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The head of the science department at my high school found a baby possum that was too young to be out of its mother's pouch so she kept it in her bra during the day in class. His name was Norbit and once it was full grown it was given free rein of the high school. It knew what bells meant so it would hang out between classes in the hallway and get pets then when the bell rang it would choose a class to hang out in for the period. This is a picture of my mom, who is a teacher at the high school, with Norbit.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

god drat I want to hang out with a possum

edit: i might get banned for this but i'm gonna doxx this goon

https://twitter.com/0clu_/status/1466920890827001864

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Laptop is far too clean for that possum to be a goon.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

spookykid posted:

That made me laugh far harder than it should've because ever since we found one in my buddy's grill cabinet all of them regardless of male or female have been dubbed "FRANK"

My wife and I refer to our local opossums all as Frank too

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

Laptop is far too clean for that possum to be a goon.

wait a second... your username...

:prepop:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is still routine in the UK, and there's an ongoing scandal about the entirely-legal practice of jacking up ground rents on people's houses.

I don't know of its still true, but in the fairly recent past , ground rents were a thing in Ireland. My grandmother had to buy a strip of land about 10 feet broad at the bottom of her garden from the local Earl. He used to own basically the whole town.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In England and Wales we don't really do lease hold in Scotland. We do have factoring which is a bit like a HOA thing where you pay dues for maintenance but they can't charge you money to allow you to paint your front door.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Ror posted:

god drat I want to hang out with a possum

https://www.frazierfarmsexotics.com/opossums

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

What's a sexotic?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Flash eclipse followed swiftly by bee storm.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Atticus_1354 posted:

What's a sexotic?

Not much…

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Push El Burrito posted:

Flash eclipse followed swiftly by bee storm.

Sounds like a good gig tbh

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/agkdesign/status/1467416095233802243?s=20

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When I was a kid, we had a bird house, but a squirrel would hoard all the bread we tossed out inside the bird house. He got so tame he would eat out of our hands if you stayed still enough.

Then he started chewing up our outside garbage bin. Really did a number on it. So one day, I open the door and he's in the garbage. I get my old pellet gun, I've literally got it to his head as we have a sort of grim staredown, but I'm a big softie and couldn't pull the trigger. He took advantage of my squeamishness and jumped between my legs into the house. I shut the porch door to at least contain him that much, and went and got my dad.

He came out and found him in the porch closet, and hit it with a broom. Poor thing fell to the ground, leg apparently broken, a little bit of blood on the floor. Dad took it outside, by the tail, and whipped it off the side of the house 3 or 4 times, then shot him with the pellet gun and put it in a plastic bag and into the garbage. I felt so bad.

I went out later on to look again, the squirrel was gone.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

codo27 posted:

When I was a kid, we had a bird house, but a squirrel would hoard all the bread we tossed out inside the bird house. He got so tame he would eat out of our hands if you stayed still enough.

Then he started chewing up our outside garbage bin. Really did a number on it. So one day, I open the door and he's in the garbage. I get my old pellet gun, I've literally got it to his head as we have a sort of grim staredown, but I'm a big softie and couldn't pull the trigger. He took advantage of my squeamishness and jumped between my legs into the house. I shut the porch door to at least contain him that much, and went and got my dad.

He came out and found him in the porch closet, and hit it with a broom. Poor thing fell to the ground, leg apparently broken, a little bit of blood on the floor. Dad took it outside, by the tail, and whipped it off the side of the house 3 or 4 times, then shot him with the pellet gun and put it in a plastic bag and into the garbage. I felt so bad.

Whoops

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Atticus_1354 posted:

What's a sexotic?

something drawn by phil foglio

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Atticus_1354 posted:

What's a sexotic?

That thing Tiger King did with his meth boyfriend in the tiger cages.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

codo27 posted:

Lol at losing out on blessings from Norse God Ratatoskr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

Gbs would love this poo poo