Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Has this actually happened ever

PT couldn't be redownloaded, but technically you never paid for it which is probably why they could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The Satisfye is so good and necessary if you have big hands and/or lovely joints that it's strange that Nintendo haven't officially licensed it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Volte posted:

I don't think having your video games taken away out of your library has ever happened that I'm aware of, but I know it has happened with Kindle books.

It happened for a Kindle book once and then there was a successful lawsuit over it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Has this actually happened ever

Yeah one time improper copies of 1984 were removed remotely from everyones ereader over night. Digital goods exist only so long as nintendo wants them to exist (unless you isolate your switch from wifi forever)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Serious question. Is it worth getting Metroid Dread digital or not?

It looks like it'll be a single time experience and a quickish one at that, at most 2. I usually trade those in, and I have Skyward Sword on cartridge here that could go very far in lessening the price on Dread.

On the other hand, I could see myself getting in the mood to replay it one day in the far future, like I do with Super Metroid and Link to the Past. Like I wouldn't revisit Samus Returns, but other ones I would and do. So in that sense maybe it'd be better to get it digitally?

I bought Dark Souls physically, which I now regret, because I definitely will never trade that in. Same with BotW.

So is Dread good enough to be a keeper?

Because then the next matter is getting vouchers and then asking what my 2nd voucher is going to be dropped on (probably Triangle Strategy...)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It looks like it'll be a single time experience and a quickish one at that, at most 2. I usually trade those in, and I have Skyward Sword on cartridge here that could go very far in lessening the price on Dread.

On the other hand, I could see myself getting in the mood to replay it one day in the far future, like I do with Super Metroid and Link to the Past. Like I wouldn't revisit Samus Returns, but other ones I would and do. So in that sense maybe it'd be better to get it digitally?

I bought Dark Souls physically, which I now regret, because I definitely will never trade that in. Same with BotW.

Because then the next matter is getting vouchers and then asking what my 2nd voucher is going to be dropped on (probably Triangle Strategy...)

Even if you get it physical, it's not like it'll just explode once you finish it once. :shrug: So, unless you sell it/lend it out immediately upon finishing, you could just grab it from its case when the replay mood strikes you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
metroid games are pretty replayable (though i've been putting it on hold cuz there's so much else to play). first party games tend to be really easy to get if you, for some reason, really want the cart later

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is there a price difference? I don't really see any advantage of the digital option. With physical you can sell it or you can keep it to play later. With digital you only have one option, keeping it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
generally the ones i never get physically are games like Animal Crossing or Tetris where i'm going to be playing for a bit of a time every day. made that mistake with Binding of Isaac

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 22, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
digital ftw

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Even if you get it physical, it's not like it'll just explode once you finish it once. :shrug: So, unless you sell it/lend it out immediately upon finishing, you could just grab it from its case when the replay mood strikes you.

I know. I just know that my intent with Physical games is to NOT keep them. The question is whether or not this is a keeper.

Lastdancer posted:

Play the demo first if you haven't. Probably should go Physical though. The game is definitely fun but I wouldn't say it left the same kind of impact that playing Super for the first time did, and doesn't feel as impactful.

True I should try once I'm ready to buy it to make a final decision.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

metroid games are pretty replayable (though i've been putting it on hold cuz there's so much else to play). first party games tend to be really easy to get if you, for some reason, really want the cart later

I'd feel like a dope rebuying a game, but this actually a really good point.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also if it's in the class of games known as "weeb poo poo" they tend to retain their value really well lol

which is part of why i got the danganronpa cart

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Yeah one time improper copies of 1984 were removed remotely from everyones ereader over night. Digital goods exist only so long as nintendo wants them to exist (unless you isolate your switch from wifi forever)

Do y'all think Nintendo can't render carts unplayable via a patch if they desired? The cartridge is effectively just a physical manifestation of a license.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Devorum posted:

Do y'all think Nintendo can't render carts unplayable via a patch if they desired? The cartridge is effectively just a physical manifestation of a license.

I keep my switch in a faraday cage

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Re: physical vs digital chat

I just buy whichever version I can get cheapest.

If they’re both the same price I get physical because I can resell / trade the physical version for some $$.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just buy digital or physical depending on your personal preference. This "digital vs physical" argument has no objective answer and is somehow an even dumber and more pointless version of the old console wars.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Volte posted:

I don't think having your video games taken away out of your library has ever happened that I'm aware of, but I know it has happened with Kindle books.

There was that incident with, ironically, 1984, of all books, but they said it was a glitch and the people affected by it got the book back after the glitch fixed. As far as I know it hasn't happened since.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As far as physical vs digital games goes, if it's a multiplayer game, especially in today's age of evolving games, digital. Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Monster Hunter are perfect candidates for digital.

Since Switch carts are read only, I kinda view them as a "minted" product. So I'll get single player games that way. Yeah, they get patches, but for the most part they're still playable without them. So I seek out JRPGs physically most of the time. I don't think Bravely Default II ever got patched after it came out. SMTV got a patch or two but nothing major. Limited Run Games is pretty good about making sure they release their games in final, completely patched forms.

I usually get Pokemon physically, but with the Gen 4 remakes the cart contains an unfinished game and relies on a hefty day one patch so digital it is. This is becoming increasingly more common so I am aware digital is going to win out in the end. But for now, I'll appreciate my cute tiny cartridges.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

And on top of it all the carts taste really good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the cart is the only way to play the real third area dungeon in SMTV before they patched it for the Noobs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

As far as physical vs digital games goes, if it's a multiplayer game, especially in today's age of evolving games, digital. Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Monster Hunter are perfect candidates for digital.

Since Switch carts are read only, I kinda view them as a "minted" product. So I'll get single player games that way. Yeah, they get patches, but for the most part they're still playable without them. So I seek out JRPGs physically most of the time. I don't think Bravely Default II ever got patched after it came out. SMTV got a patch or two but nothing major. Limited Run Games is pretty good about making sure they release their games in final, completely patched forms.

I usually get Pokemon physically, but with the Gen 4 remakes the cart contains an unfinished game and relies on a hefty day one patch so digital it is. This is becoming increasingly more common so I am aware digital is going to win out in the end. But for now, I'll appreciate my cute tiny cartridges.

The worst cartridges are the "collections" that only include one game and the rest are digital download codes. Gee thanks, I'm sure that code will work again if I want to sell this game

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 22, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lastdancer posted:

Switch games should use the same packaging material as SD cards IMO

those mini cases people made are so cute

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

The physical vs digital debate is boring and interminable and is why I suggested to the new Switch owner they should go for a mix.

I use both! This means regardless which side wins, I'm on the side of the winner! Muhahahaha :getin:

OK, joking aside, I have a nice plastic card case that holds up to 24 cards, which is enough to carry all games I ever wanted to play (from the important ones I have in physical form) the 69+ digital ones I also own represent a nice back-up in case I manage to forget to pack the case, since it's a separate thing from my actual Switch-case. The best of both worlds!

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Rutibex posted:

The worst cartridges are the "collections" that only include one game and the rest are digital download codes. Gee thanks, I'm sure that code will work again if I want to sell this game

In cases like this (Bayonetta 1 + 2, FFX + FFX-2) I just buy both digital. I don't see much of a point in owning "half a cartridge" like that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the funniest thing are the literal empty boxes containing nothing but a download code for a) grandma to get as a christmas gift for Timmy, or b) the brain-wormed people who simply must have physical boxes for everything including download-only games

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like turning Nintendo first party game covers around since they all have dope artwork on the inside and I throw them in a box in the closet anyway and keep my carts in a hard snap binder thing I got from Walmart for $15.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my favorite cart is Witcher 3 because dang they really fit the whole game on that thingy

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the funniest thing are the literal empty boxes containing nothing but a download code for a) grandma to get as a christmas gift for Timmy, or b) the brain-wormed people who simply must have physical boxes for everything including download-only games

I bought cuphead like that on my Xbox. It was the same price so whatever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Pulling out a 24 cartridge snack pack out on the bus and sleepily eating them like chips

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my favorite cart is Witcher 3 because dang they really fit the whole game on that thingy

that's progress for you

I'm still amazed every time I look at my smartphone and suddenly realize that this thing is more powerful than the old PC I had up to 2017

though comparing my ancient GBA and its cartridges to a SNES is also fun, playing the port of a SNES game on a tiny GBA-cartridge on the go was a lot of fun back in the day

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is kinda funny that Nintendo's technically never stopped using carts (in their handhelds) and suddenly storage has come around to carts being ideal again.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Feels Villeneuve posted:

those mini cases people made are so cute

:swoon:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is kinda funny that Nintendo's technically never stopped using carts (in their handhelds) and suddenly storage has come around to carts being ideal again.

Yeah and if switch 2 is cart based, there's a good chance it will be backwards compatible. Another advantage of physical games!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the cost is still an issue, lots of publishers cheap out on cart capacity and have a mandatory download to fill in the data that didn't fit on the cart

switch carts are available up to 32gb but few publishers are willing to pay for those, so games larger than 16gb usually get the "partial download" treatment

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I sincerely wish that scans or at least transcriptions of the original game manuals were included with the NSO classic games.

At least bring over what was done for the WiiVC.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah and if switch 2 is cart based, there's a good chance it will be backwards compatible. Another advantage of physical games!

Both of these things would be equally advantageous to me, the all digital switch gamer with 1 “cart” (the 256gb cart in the back of my console that holds my entire Nintendo library)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So I just set up Mario Kart Home Circuit for my kids and they already ripped one of the cardboard gates lol

I went to Nintendo's website so see if you can buy replacements (you can) and noticed they said you can just print them? Here's the PDF: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/ci/fattach/get/192786408/0/filename/mario_kart_live_home_circuit_gates.pdf

How does that work exactly? It's just the picture on top of the gate and not the gate with legs itself. Do you just tape them around the house or something? How does it work without a gate to drive under?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Cart lovers, do any of your physical games have a manual? I own a bunch of physical Switch games and none of them came with a manual. The slot in the box seems vestigial, rarely used for some advertising or a code card.

Except Rune Factory 4, the only switch game I have ever seen with a manual. Which is odd becasue it was a cheap game :shrug: