Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All the Subnautica talk made me decide that it’s time to try and beat the game on hardcore. Playing through on normal several times, I know the easiest way to progress and where I want my first base, etc. I almost ate it getting too greedy in my first wreck, just barely got to the surface before blacking out. Lol, not having the oxygen warning sucks! I was cruising in my seamoth looking for a new wreck when I saw my first Reaper ghosting in the distance. On normal I wouldn’t give a poo poo and just go do what I came there to do. But on hardcore…I noped the gently caress on out! Especially when it looked like it turned in my direction…lol been a long time since I’ve been scared in this game. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just from my experiences, the reapers tend to just do their thing unless you get pretty drat close

I was driving my Cyclops out of the lost river tunnel that comes out in the Bulb Zone, and there is a Ghost Leviathan in part of that tunnel. I just kind of floored it right by and I think it hit my sub twice before it ignored me

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I lost my hardcore save to a cyclops glitch a while back, the sub exploded and I died/got ejected somehow.

Just be careful, and tell us the silly tale of your death when it happens!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just from my experiences, the reapers tend to just do their thing unless you get pretty drat close

I was driving my Cyclops out of the lost river tunnel that comes out in the Bulb Zone, and there is a Ghost Leviathan in part of that tunnel. I just kind of floored it right by and I think it hit my sub twice before it ignored me

Ghost Leviathans are basically just extremely aggressive underwater bulls. If you stray into their patch of territory, you might get charged and/or gored a bit, but if you keep moving away from them, they'll generally give a snort in the direction of your backside and go back to doing what they do. If you hang around, though? They won't stop until you stop (moving/breathing/existing outside their stomach).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, I gotta do a hardcore run again. I've tried a few times, but it always ends up with me dying over something dumb.

I'm definitely in a mood to start again, though.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I started a hardcore run. It was nice to come back to the shallows and the oxygen thing certainly gave the game an edge. I was a bit disappointed in Below Zero so I was looking forward to exploring the wrecks and dodging reapers again. I finally found the time to sit down and start the first base, so I started gathering materials and went down a cave. Apparently, I brushed up against something blue-ish and glowing against the wall and very quickly died. I actually thought the game had crashed. Shame.

All this chatter makes me want to start up another go at the hardcore run. Is there any mods on Nexus that are just game changing?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Crazy Ferret posted:

I started a hardcore run. It was nice to come back to the shallows and the oxygen thing certainly gave the game an edge. I was a bit disappointed in Below Zero so I was looking forward to exploring the wrecks and dodging reapers again. I finally found the time to sit down and start the first base, so I started gathering materials and went down a cave. Apparently, I brushed up against something blue-ish and glowing against the wall and very quickly died. I actually thought the game had crashed. Shame.

All this chatter makes me want to start up another go at the hardcore run. Is there any mods on Nexus that are just game changing?

Death Run has a pile of configurable options to tweak your game. Radiation, custom scuba tanks, decompression sickness, wildlife aggression, random start location, and more are all something you can toy with and slide the scales up/down depending on your preference.

I started a hardcore run and had a rough start location, but was on the verge of making it work…until I went down into the jellyshroom cave and got murdered by an ambushing crabsnake while looking for magnetite and lithium :negative:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I finished the base game recently, and would be grateful for some mod recommendations for BZ before I start that. QoL stuff is definitely appreciated, otherwise I mostly enjoy the exploration and don't care much for base building.

I think the base game had a mod requiring you to find a lot more fragments to unlock blueprints? Is there something similar for BZ, and does it make sense for that game? One thing I didn't like about the base game was that I unlocked new tech too rapidly to really experiment with intermediate stuff, and that the last half of wrecks I explored rarely unlocked anything new.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

I think the base game had a mod requiring you to find a lot more fragments to unlock blueprints? Is there something similar for BZ, and does it make sense for that game? One thing I didn't like about the base game was that I unlocked new tech too rapidly to really experiment with intermediate stuff, and that the last half of wrecks I explored rarely unlocked anything new.

The problem you'll run into with BZ in that regard is that the tech progression doesn't really follow the progression of the game with very few exceptions, and you will run into multiple single-items to scan for the blueprint occurrences as well. Tech scanning in general isn't nearly as central to the game loop as it was in the first.

The mods I used were EasyCraft and SnapPlacement, both of which are just handy QOL adjustments. I added Replenish Reactor Rods eventually because the game will throw a lot of depleted reactor rods at you that are otherwise garbage that just take up inventory space.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
... BZ doesn't have either of the original games garbage cans?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

BZ has the nuclear waste disposal, I'd advise checking the Omega lab again in the nuclear area. Alternatively one of the ship sections also has it.

Or just, you know, take it to the edge of the map and drop it.

gently caress the fish.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is BZ worth playing? I’m not sure if it’s something I will immediately play after I finish the base game but I’m just curious.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is BZ worth playing? I’m not sure if it’s something I will immediately play after I finish the base game but I’m just curious.

It's more Subnautica. The graphics are better inasmuch as there's much less pop in. BZ has a land section that sucks. Planning to play it when you get nostalgic for the base game in a while is probably for the best.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It's more of the same just not as good. Might want to put a little space between the two games. The QoL updates are good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Parallelwoody posted:

It's more of the same just not as good. Might want to put a little space between the two games. The QoL updates are good.
Thanks

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I would say that Subnautica and Below Zero are about equal, Subnaurica is longer but BZ has a lot of quality of life improvements. BZ has some areas that suck, but so does the first Subnautica. And overall BZ is a lot less buggy.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
I finally fixed the aurora and looted the gently caress out of it but the leviathan destroyed my seamoth on the way there :smugjones:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

skipmyseashells posted:

I finally fixed the aurora and looted the gently caress out of it but the leviathan destroyed my seamoth on the way there :smugjones:
Just another reason I keep a seamoth on me at all times, even on land or indoors. Though the main reason of "In case I no-clip through the floor of my cyclops again" also had to hope the water physics didn't turn off in the process.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

For anyone looking for a game recommendation, I've been playing through Outer Wilds the past few days, and it is giving me a lot of Subnautica vibes. You traverse around space to tiny planets rather than it all being underwater, and it's not exactly a survival game because you're stuck in a 22 minute Groundhog Day timeloop (the cause of which being one of the mysteries you slowly uncover), so dying doesn't really matter beyond whatever progress you've made since the beginning of the current loop. And it's not really horror, other than the anglerfish, and it seems like the DLC is going for horror, but I haven't done it yet.

But the way that everything is available to you from the beginning, there being no instructions beyond searching around for things that seem weird or out of place, and it being a bit of a detective story where you need to figure out what happened long ago based on clue fragments and being attentive to the environment reminds me a lot of Subnautica.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just fixed the Aurora on my hardcore save. The reaper off the bow almost snagged me as I was trying to swim through some of the structure to hide from it, I turned around to see how close it was and apparently it just barely missed me? I saw the tail turning around for another pass :gonk:

I feel like the reapers are absolutely silent sometimes. I’ve turned around to spy one coming directly at me and it wasn’t roaring at all. That’s what keeps me most nervous on this save. The ghost leviathans always announce themselves in their own way (a piercing scream akin to a Nazgul), but sometimes the reapers are just…there and there was nothing you were going to do.

I love it :unsmigghh:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Original Subnautica is one of my favorite game experiences ever, jank and all. BZ was a really lovely chaser. It makes you wonder if you actually liked Subnautica at all.

Earlier poster has it right, just go play Outer Wilds instead.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
As the sum of all its parts, Below Zero is not my favorite experience. A lot of the time, I felt like I wanted to go back to the base game just with all the QoL stuff intact. Still, there are some things in Below Zero that are very much worth experiencing.

The icebergs near the Green House are incredible to navigate around. The weather effects, particularly the hailstorms that send flurries of ice-balls into the water, are stunning. The first time I broke the surface into a white-out snow storm was great. The land stuff is disappointing, but using the Prawn Suit's grapple to swing around and avoid...things was fun. The new underwater biomes are neat.

It would be hard for any game to follow up the original Subnautica

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

BZ is worth playing through once maybe. It has some interesting individual elements but as a whole falls flat, particularly past the first 40%. I think if the there were either less story or a better story that would bump it up significantly in my book, but the lackluster story and main character mixed with some genuinely flawed storytelling just fails to deliver the same experience as OG.

It feels like a Subnautica game made by a different studio that wanted to put a new twist on the series and didn't fully capture what made the first intriguing to play.

Outer Wilds, on the other hand, is an incredible game worth every cent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah Outer Wilds is great

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah Outer Wilds is great

It is. Don't read anything about it, just buy it and play.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

uXs posted:

It is. Don't read anything about it, just buy it and play.

I fully endorse this proposal.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well this was weird.
I've easily gone through multiple replays without ever seeing a time capsule.
Yet the one i'm in now, I just found 4 scattered down in the crevice by Keen.
Luck of the draw or a stutter in generation I guess.
Got literal crap useful in the bio reactor and a 500 battery.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
My first time through the game I found a time capsule with (among other things) a MK2 depth module for the cyclops before I even managed to build a cyclops. It had a somewhat apologetic note included acknowledging that this might make the game too easy, so not to use it if you didn't want that. I decided not to use it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean it takes awhile before you can build a Cyclops so I don't know how much that really ends up mattering

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, by the time you've built the Cyclops, the depth module is really just a helpful item that will save you time, not really ruin the game.

There's still a LOT of stuff to get aside from that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I wish there was some pointless endgame or even postgame use for tons of extra station power

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would like to build a submarine tank to go murder all of the leviathans, please and thank you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would like to build a submarine tank to go murder all of the leviathans, please and thank you

Prawn suit, grapple arm, punch arm. Wrangle a Reaper and punch the motherfucker to death while you hang of its side.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is playing on VR any good? Or is it just a tacked on perspective change

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, I finished Cold Subnautica, and it was alright. It felt a little lacking compared to the first game, the world was smaller and some design decisions were...worse. There were less big leviathans, and they were overall less threatening. Those black ones that have the whole gimmick to seem way more dangerous than they are were a weird choice. Electro-squids seemed threatening in a new way, but then they just stopped showing up. The giant jellyfish were pretty amazing though.

The one biggun leviathan in the open ocean did dissuade me from building a second base in the green zone though, because he was so threatening when he showed up to munch on the smaller macrofauna. The leviathans in the deep caves were a great design and did manage to scare me a lot, and the snow worms were a cool idea, but they both suffered from being stuck in such tight quarters that there wasn't the option to even really try to avoid them, so I just kinda discovered the secret to dealing with them so they're not very dangerous, which took me out of immersion. Very weird that when so much of Subnautica is defined by big open areas, the land area is full of tight, winding box canyons.

The story was interesting, although there's also the weird thing of the extra artifice increasing expectations? The alien in your brain is neat to have commentary while you're exploring, but in the process of following his story the game kind of forgets about the stated goals at the start of the game. The main character may have been really into researching the planet when she landed there, but isn't especially interested in that particular planet and is fine with leaving it behind. She's also kinda fine with just leaving behind the investigation of her sister. I guess I could've gone the extra mile to cure the frozen Leviathan, but by the time I realized that, I had already decranialated Alan, so I felt I'd be missing out on his commentary. The first Subnautica had more freedom to just leave things blank.

At the end of Subnautica, I felt the need to wrap up everything and stock up the spaceship for the trip home, but at the end of Below Zero, I didn't feel any of that weird sentimentality.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

At the end of the OG subnautica, I had come to not want to go home

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is playing on VR any good? Or is it just a tacked on perspective change

I really enjoyed it, VR always brings an amazing sense of scale to games and this one did not disappoint. Also, wearing a VR headset with restricted FOV feels similar to wearing a scuba mask, so it helped with the immersion.
You do need to grab the VR fix mod to fix a number of things since the devs seemingly never play tested VR. Also, no touch controller support, so you're still playing with keyboard/mouse.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Or a gamepad.

But yeah, the scale of this game in VR is staggeringly different than flat. The shallows are suddenly vastly deeper and everything is larger and so much more present. Turns out a game about immersion is great for immersion. :haw:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

At the end of the OG subnautica, I had come to not want to go home

Who would want to go back to that kind of libertarian hellscape when you had a sweet planet all to yourself to chill on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I really enjoyed it, VR always brings an amazing sense of scale to games and this one did not disappoint. Also, wearing a VR headset with restricted FOV feels similar to wearing a scuba mask, so it helped with the immersion.
You do need to grab the VR fix mod to fix a number of things since the devs seemingly never play tested VR. Also, no touch controller support, so you're still playing with keyboard/mouse.

Bad Munki posted:

Or a gamepad.

But yeah, the scale of this game in VR is staggeringly different than flat. The shallows are suddenly vastly deeper and everything is larger and so much more present. Turns out a game about immersion is great for immersion. :haw:

I played a couple hours in VR (with the fix mod) and its insanely sick and good.