Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

Unless you do something fantastically stupid with it that is also not an issue.

If he uses a COBB access port to modify the factory settings, the techs at Subaru can tell. Subaru can then deny warranty claims for anything they believe was impacted by the modified tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Y'all I got a new windshield in my ancient-rear end Legacy and it's like seeing the world in 8k.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Y'all I got a new windshield in my ancient-rear end Legacy and it's like seeing the world in 8k.

New windshield day is always awesome.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I've been working on a 2002 Impreza for a friend. At some point, someone tried to break in and broke the door tumbler which I'm now trying to fix. Additionally, none of the key fobs work.

The first time around I replaced the handle and replaced but the driver lock system wouldn't reliably unlock. I think the existing tumbler is corroded, so I've ordered a replacement and for now just deleted the tumbler and the tumbler lock rod from the door until the new one arrives. Now the power locks will reliably cycles the locks but the manual door handle lock will only reliably lock the door, it won't reliably unlock the door.

I'm hoping someone knows the magic "buy this one part" answer to this off hand on what might need replacing.

Second, I ordered a new fob and found a battery for the existing fob. I'm able to program both fobs into the system and they seem to work for a while but within a couple of hours they no longer work. The batteries in the fobs are all new. I'm wondering if there's a dead battery in the alarm system itself or if I'm missing some step in the "exit programming mode"? Is there some relation to car engine ignition and locking in the new fobs? Any ideas?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't really know the answer but I feel like there have been a lot of fake coin cell batteries on Amazon lately, so if that's your source, beware. Still think they would last more than a few hours though.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

That would track but I got the impression the alarm system programmed to the fobs not the other way around.

Do the fobs get "unpaired" if they lose battery or do they just stop working?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ultrabay2000 posted:

That would track but I got the impression the alarm system programmed to the fobs not the other way around.

Do the fobs get "unpaired" if they lose battery or do they just stop working?

Oh no, I do believe they should just stop working, not unpair, unless maybe the car battery is dying or something. I had a 99 and an 03 but I honestly can't remember how exactly they worked. The 99 I'm pretty sure was a port-installed option in the passenger footwell.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I'm wondering if the EEPROM in the control unit is shot because it's a 20 year old car. Looks like replacement units on ebay are all of $15 so I'll give that a shot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RKE systems generally store the fob's ID number in nonvolatile memory in the computer and do their rolling code math from there. If the fob was losing its count you may need to press the button several times to resync the car to the fob count, or do some other thing to resync, I don't remember how Subaru's schemes worked. But yeah, dead battery in either fob or car I wouldn't expect to dump out the fobs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I was behind a Baja with the most Baja bumper sticker on the rear window this morning- Back The Blue That Back BLM

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Classic centrist Baja.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

Classic centrist Baja.

just saw another Baja on 95

this one was pretty fasced-out tho, with a giant ol’ thin blue line Punisher skull on the back glass and a lot of other bullshit I couldn’t see and didn’t bother to

shame. remember when the joke was that those were only for LGBTQ people? Now it feels like a lotta the same chuds that hacked up all the XJs are into them

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That is a bummer, I always smile when I see Baja’s. A silly Subaru El Camino, what’s not to love?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I got an Accessport in yesterday for my WRX... I wonder what kind of deal Subaru and Cobb have worked out, to be selling these cars with such lovely stock tunes! I'm only like half kidding. I knew Cobb was the way to go for Subarus a decade before I even owned a Subaru. There's gotta be something going on behind the scenes...

Feels great! I'm starting gentle with the 91 octane OTS map. Numbers look great and the car feels great. I'm gonna try out the 93 octane map later to see how it goes. I'm not even particularly interested in making additional power at the moment, just enjoying the powerband & throttle being smoothed out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Any of you using some kind of e85 fuel stabilizer?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

enojy posted:

I got an Accessport in yesterday for my WRX... I wonder what kind of deal Subaru and Cobb have worked out, to be selling these cars with such lovely stock tunes! I'm only like half kidding. I knew Cobb was the way to go for Subarus a decade before I even owned a Subaru. There's gotta be something going on behind the scenes...

Feels great! I'm starting gentle with the 91 octane OTS map. Numbers look great and the car feels great. I'm gonna try out the 93 octane map later to see how it goes. I'm not even particularly interested in making additional power at the moment, just enjoying the powerband & throttle being smoothed out.

The thing that’s going on is fleet efficiency standards, PZEV and other such things.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
Well, right on schedule my 2007 forester started smelling of gas around the rear wheel well. Looked closer underneath and saw dripping gas from the fuel line.

None of the local shops would touch it but it only ended up taking a couple hours to fix.

Before:

I ended up cutting off the fuel line and using a compression fitting to join a new quick connect end. The quick connect on the nylon line to the tank was also replaced as the old steel end was rusted in place.

Compression connector splice:

Should last the rest of the life of the car at this point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hobbesmaster posted:

The thing that’s going on is fleet efficiency standards, PZEV and other such things.

Most other manufacturers have managed to come up with tunes that satisfy these requirements AND are enjoyable to drive. It's time to stop coming up with excuses for Subaru on this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Most other manufacturers have managed to come up with tunes that satisfy these requirements AND are enjoyable to drive. It's time to stop coming up with excuses for Subaru on this.

Subarus also are "supposed" to burn a quart of oil between changes when other cars don't lose a drop. Theres a pretty big efficiency hit for the boxer+AWD across the board.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I replaced my WRX with a Golf R so I don't know if the whole oil burning thing really factors into it. There's AWD there as well (though haldax, but at this point haldex coupled with stability management is going to be better in the real world than subaru's VC and open diffs at both ends.)

My average mixed economy went from 20.3mpg to 24.5mpg (long highway trips went from 23mpg to 28mpg). I gained 15 hp and I have an engine that's smooth and consistent all through the powerband with no weird rev hangs or lumpiness.

I test drove a 2019 WRX to replace my 2011 WRX hatch and I was a handsbreadth away from accepting the compromises of losing the hatch right up until the point where I took a test drive and realized even with a brand new engine design Subaru still couldn't tune things to the point where it felt like the engine, transmission, and chassis were in harmony.

My 2001 WRX had character in the way the engine responded when you cained it. My 2011 was quick, but always felt as if it was dazed and annoyed when you called it into operation. Those perceptions continued with the 2019 I test drove (along with it not really feeling all that fast because I did have an accessport with an off the shelf map on my 2011.)

I just wish subaru cared more about delivering an enthusiast product because I have so much fondness for my original WRX and they have the ingredients to do something really fun. But they kinda just haphazardly dump them together like a child cooking and we all pat them on the head and say "good job" while we pretend to eat, sneaking our own meal later without the kid's involvement.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Alright is 400whp the practical limit for a stock STI RA block? ('21 STI)

I've been out of the loop for a while with turbo upgades so not sure what the new/best choices are right now. Not drag racing, so I don't want some oversized turbo that's just lag city. Car has full turbo back 3" exhaust right now and making 320whp with that and tune on 93.

Next round of upgrades will be intake, inlet, fuel pump, injectors, and maybe EL headers if budget allows. Goal is smooth power delivery, still suitable to DD but able to rip the back roads. Not sure if reaching that goal of about 400 is at the edge of the stock turbo capability, and what better turbo will be in it's happy zone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

There's AWD there as well (though haldax, but at this point haldex coupled with stability management is going to be better in the real world than subaru's VC and open diffs at both ends.)

But that haldex means its a FWD during the EPA fuel economy test, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

But that haldex means its a FWD during the EPA fuel economy test, right?

It means that the torque split is based on whatever the car is doing at the time for the fuel economy tests. Realize on Haldax 5, the rear driveshaft is always spinning and it's up to the clutchpack in the rear diff to engage the rear wheels. So, there's always parasitic drag from spinning mass. Engagement is based on throttle position, steering angle, wheel speed differences, and speed. You know, like a modern AWD system should.

That's still irrelevant to things like rev hang and lumpy engine tuning.

The VC is inefficient and loses effectiveness as the car ages and shouldn't really be a thing anymore in 2021 on a car that's driven on roads with real world concerns. They also aren't as bulletproof as people would like you to believe (the VC unwinding is why the transmission in my original WRX died and why I would never autocross a VC equipped WRX again) Subaru's lazy engineering decisions compounding on other lazy engineering decisions doesn't mean they aren't all lazy engineering decisions.

The AWD system on WRXs has gotten WORSE over the years, not better. At least my first WRX had a rear LSD.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 1, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m already getting little flat spots on my intercooler from I’m assuming bugs and rocks on the highway. Should I get something to protect it a little or shrug it off?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Get a radiator fin straightener.

Malco FST2 Fin Straightening Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EVJPFA/

Of course measure you fin pitch first to make sure the one you get will work.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I know Subaru paint is famously not great but mine caught the right light today to make me go “yeeesh.”

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What year? Are they still using water based paints? (because that pic looks very "every german car in the early 2000s")

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
2021. I got it like 2 weeks ago brand new.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yikes.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

My BRZ order finally came in this week. Its been great so far, here it is next to a super clean 92 SVX at C&C yesterday.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My 2015 WRX was the same way new, one of the first things I did was recut the clear coat and polish.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Fingat posted:

My BRZ order finally came in this week. Its been great so far, here it is next to a super clean 92 SVX at C&C yesterday.

:nice:

Do you have any experience with the last BRZ?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Drive cycling is such a curse in NYC. My WRX is never getting a new sticker :/

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Toe Rag posted:

:nice:

Do you have any experience with the last BRZ?

I dont actually. I only sat in one at the dealer once when they were doing work on my car. I liked them but at the time a 2 door coupe wasnt going to fit well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-..._medium=partner

This article seems to suggest the new WRX will be CVT *only* in Japan.

JFC I'd hope not. And also confirms the high end models are CVT only as well. God loving damnit Subaru, what the ever living gently caress is wrong with you and your dickhead product planners?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

JFC I'd hope not. And also confirms the high end models are CVT only as well. God loving damnit Subaru, what the ever living gently caress is wrong with you and your dickhead product planners?

Toyota is flexing their shareholder power to steal all of Subaru’s remaining sporting credibility for themselves

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
My theory is there are product planners at Subaru who have a Bad Ideas quota. They were kept away from the new BRZ, so they went ham with the new WRX.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If I have no engine mods are OTS tunes considered safe?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

net work error posted:

If I have no engine mods are OTS tunes considered safe?

the cobb stage 1 is (purportedly)

edit: from here https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/1021444138/Map+Notes+for+VA+STI+2015+-+2018

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What percentage of the CVTs will make it through the 5y/60k mi warranty? The new engine is right at the absolute max limits of the cvt and the average WRX is not exactly going to be driven like an ascent.