Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Gods, what is the city thinking putting up these bollards and planters to protect pedestrians and cyclists?? Do they have any idea how much damage hitting a hard obstacle instead of a soft human could do to my vehicle??

e: lovely snipe. In other news, my booster shot yesterday has me stuck on the couch today, it would seem. Definitely a stronger reaction than the initial two for me. Had some Inception-level fever dreams.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The "ooooooh" after the airbag deployed was great.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had no clue this was a thing, but goddamn is it funny.

https://youtu.be/MfqRg4BPAi4

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Gods, what is the city thinking putting up these bollards and planters to protect pedestrians and cyclists?? Do they have any idea how much damage hitting a hard obstacle instead of a soft human could do to my vehicle??

It looks like a sign in the middle of a parking lot.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

You're more optimistic than I am. I'm starting to think that somewhere between 2020 and 2030 is where future historians will draw the line for "the collapse of American liberal democracy."

The wound was mortal in November 1980, we're just taking an incredibly long time to bleed out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

e: lovely snipe. In other news, my booster shot yesterday has me stuck on the couch today, it would seem. Definitely a stronger reaction than the initial two for me. Had some Inception-level fever dreams.

For real, I'd abuse the moderna vaccine recreationally given the opportunity.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Anybody get a booster and flu shot at/near the same time? Looking to gently caress up the middle of this week for myself and get it over with.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

Anybody get a booster and flu shot at/near the same time? Looking to gently caress up the middle of this week for myself and get it over with.

Yeah. Arms were a bit sore next day and I was run down about the same as flu shot every year, similar to pfizer 2. Would multishot again.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm on day 2 of being stuck horizontal with a minor flu feeling after the booster. The second shot wrecked me too, which is why I made sure to get boosted on a Fri. It's looking like I'll just fast forward from end of workday Friday to start of workday Monday

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
This was the first year the flu shot didn't do anything to me. The booster was just lethargy until 40 hours later when I got a fever that lasted all of like four hours. A+ experience would boost again any time offered.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just got the flu shot with absolutely no side effects but my second and third Covid shots knocked me on my rear end for almost two days each.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

I'm on day 2 of being stuck horizontal with a minor flu feeling after the booster. The second shot wrecked me too, which is why I made sure to get boosted on a Fri. It's looking like I'll just fast forward from end of workday Friday to start of workday Monday

Drink lots of Pedialite or Gatorade. Make sure to keep drinking fluids all day.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Decline and Fall of Western Civilization.jpg

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

RFC2324 posted:

Springs is full of chuds lol. Someone i was seeing was interviewing at one of the universities for a teaching position, and apparently it got ugly when they found out they were dating someone trans.

Colorado Springs is one of the capital cities of the Evangelical movement in America.

It's also part of why the USAF is so Evangelical!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio posted:

got my pfizer booster + flu shot yesterday. i had no side effects on the first 2 shots but this combo has me feeling like i have a cold.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzt18-WhkvQ

Lot of UFO calls tonight I presume.

Starlink satellite release. I didn't see it but my local social media stuff just blew up with people asking wtf was that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Starlink satellite release. I didn't see it but my local social media stuff just blew up with people asking wtf was that.

I've seen this cause chaos on frequency before when 30 airplanes all start screaming about UFO's. I think they're pretty well known now so it's not as much of an issue.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Bored As gently caress posted:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...campaign=FBPost

The High Cost of Men's Loneliness

Do we actually need "Man Parks" to spark socialization?

Really good article.

Join the National Guard. Good 'ol boys club once a month. 2 weeks in the summer. 1 year out of every 4. (may be more during the Surge).

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

You're more optimistic than I am. I'm starting to think that somewhere between 2020 and 2030 is where future historians will draw the line for "the collapse of American liberal democracy."

my wife and i are making plans to leave. it is not going to get better, and we (the people in this forum and those of similar sensibilities) are going to lose the coming civil war

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Midjack posted:

There are probably enough in the arsenals that every city bigger than 100,000 people has at least one warhead with its name on it.

I live in the triangle between North Island, 32nd Street, and Miramar. I'm dead as poo poo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
If the wind is blowing north that day then even if nobody lands any shots on the outer cities of Vancouver I'll get hypercancer from the fallout of the ones that hit Seattle

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That Works posted:

I saw that friday night. I was walking Frank when I saw it, called a friend to tell him to look up and we both said "what the gently caress is that" for a minute or so before it disappeared. Posted about it in the UFO thread in cspam, 30 minutes later the thread confirmed it was elon trash.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

my wife and i are making plans to leave. it is not going to get better, and we (the people in this forum and those of similar sensibilities) are going to lose the coming civil war

My wife isn't taking me seriously but I'm taking German lessons.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I really don't know where to start with trying to immigrate. I know the wife and I could probably get into an Asian country to teach English, but I don't think those are permanent usually.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Picked up a copy of Bonhoeffer's Letters And Papers From Prison at the thrift store this weekend and he comes straight out of the gate swinging with many words dismayingly relevant to our frequent infighting ITT

quote:

No ground under our feet

One may ask whether there have ever before in human history been people with so little ground under their feet - people to whom every available alternative seemed equally intolerable, repugnant, and futile, who looked beyond all these existing alternatives for the source of their strength so entirely in the past or in the future, and who yet, without being dreamers, were able to await the success of their cause so quietly and confidently. Or perhaps one should rather ask whether the responsible thinking people of any generation that stood at a turning-point in history did not feel much as we do, simply because something new was emerging that could not be seen in the existing alternatives.

Who stands fast?

The great masquerade of evil has played havoc with all our ethical concepts. For evil to appear disguised as light, charity, historical neccessity, or social justice is quite bewildering to anyone brought up on our traditional ethical concepts, while for the Christian who bases his life on the Bible it merely confirms the fundamental wickedness of evil.

The 'reasonable' people's failure is obvious. With the best intentions and a naive lack of realism, they think that with a little reason they can bend back into position the framework that got all out of joint. In their lack of vision they want to do justice to all sides, and so the conflicting forces wear them down with nothing achieved. Disappointed by the world's unreasonableness, they see themselves condemned to ineffectiveness; they step aside in resignation or collapse before the stronger party.

Still more pathetic is the total collapse of moral fanatacism. The fanatic thinks that his single-minded principles qualify him to do battle with the powers of evil; but like a bull he rushes at the red cloak instead of the man who holds it; he exhausts himself and is beaten. He gets entangled in non-essentials and falls into the trap set by cleverer people.

Then there is the man with a conscience, who fights singlehanded against heavy odds in situations that call for a decision. But the scale of the conflicts in which he has to choose - with no advice or support except from his own conscience - tears him to pieces. Evil approaches him in so many respectable and seductive disguises that his conscience becomes nervous and vacillating, till at last he contents himself with a salved instead of a clear conscience, so that he lies to his own conscience in order to avoid despair; for a man whose only support is his conscience can never realize that a bad conscience may be stronger and more wholesome than a deluded one.

From the perplexingly large number of possible decisions, the way of duty seems to be the way out. Here, what is commanded is accepted as what is most certain, and the responsibility for it rests on the commander, not on the person commanded. But no one who confines himself to the limits of duty ever goes so far as to venture, on his sole responsibility, to act in the only way that makes it possible to score a direct hit on evil and defeat it. The man of duty will in the end have to do his duty by the devil too.

As to the man who asserts his complete [freedom to stand four-square to the world, who values the neccessary deed more highly than an unspoilt conscience or reputation, who is ready to sacrifice a barren principle for a fruitful compromise, or the barren wisdom of a middle course for a fruitful radicalism - let him beware lest his freedom should bring him down. He will assent to what is bad so as to ward off something worse, and in doing so he will no longer be able to realize that the worse, which he wants to avoid, might be the better. Here we have the raw material of tragedy.

Here and there people flee from public altercation into the sanctuary of private virtuousness. But anyone who does this must shut his mouth and his eyes to the injustice around him. Only at the cost of self-deception can he keep himself pure from the contamination arising from respoinsible action. In spite of all that he does, what he leaves undone will rob him of his peace of mind. He will either go to pieces because of this disquiet, or become the most hypocritical of Pharisees.

Who stands fast?Only the man whose final standard is not his reason, his principles, his conscience, his freedom, or his virtue, but who is ready to sacrifice all this when he is called to obedient and responsible action in fation and in exclusive allegiance to God - the responsible man, who tries to make his whole life an answer to the question and call of God. Where are these responsible people?

-December 1942

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

Join the National Guard. Good 'ol boys club once a month. 2 weeks in the summer. 1 year out of every 4. (may be more during the Surge).

I'm old and probably won't pass MEPS with the meds I take.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Bored As gently caress posted:

I'm old and probably won't pass MEPS with the meds I take.

The Florida State Guard is about to have a whole lot of vacancies - get in on the ground floor!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

PeterCat posted:

Join the National Guard.

Gonna have to say no, you should do a lot of things other than this.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Picked up a copy of Bonhoeffer's Letters And Papers From Prison at the thrift store this weekend and he comes straight out of the gate swinging with many words dismayingly relevant to our frequent infighting ITT

Katy Perry, we await your orders

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oh okay cool, we're going to "diplomatically boycott" the Beijing Olympics, which I guess is where we don't send any US Government people to hang around at the opening ceremony but the athletes can still compete and win medals. A crippling blow from which the Chinese Communist Party will never recover.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Oh are sternly worded letters out of fashion?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I mean, Russia was banned from the last round, but still competed. None of it matters, it's just another profit generating event for the IOC and media providers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s like Jimmy Carter 2.0, if he was also a sex pest.

What’s the stated purpose of boycotting it anyway? The kind of poo poo the US and aligned proxies pulled on the third world when it came to giving them access to vaccines this year alone pales in comparison to anything China does internationally and the state department decided what China was doing to its minority population wasn’t actually legally genocide since probably that would bring up a whole lot of uncomfortable issues in our history and reservations that are still ongoing and the fact our corporations are still buying Chinese labor from those camps.

Like it’s so nakedly a tantrum and attempt to start a phony Cold War. Ideology actually at least kinda seemed to matter last time around and it was still dumb as hell but this time around China and the US don’t even pretend to be different. loving embarrassing.

Maybe this is the electoral strategy christ lol because being a fake “wartime president” worked so well for trump I guess

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 6, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Midjack posted:

Oh okay cool, we're going to "diplomatically boycott" the Beijing Olympics, which I guess is where we don't send any US Government people to hang around at the opening ceremony but the athletes can still compete and win medals. A crippling blow from which the Chinese Communist Party will never recover.

Our diplomats are still busy reeling in surprise at how uncouth they found Mr. Donald Trump, anyway

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s like Jimmy Carter 2.0, if he was also a sex pest.

What’s the stated purpose of boycotting it anyway? The kind of poo poo the US and aligned proxies pulled on the third world when it came to giving them access to vaccines this year alone pales in comparison to anything China does internationally and the state department decided what China was doing to its minority population wasn’t actually legally genocide since probably that would bring up a whole lot of uncomfortable issues in our history and reservations that are still ongoing and the fact our corporations are still buying Chinese labor from those camps.

Like it’s so nakedly a tantrum and attempt to start a phony Cold War. Ideology actually at least kinda seemed to matter last time around and it was still dumb as hell but this time around China and the US don’t even pretend to be different. loving embarrassing.

Maybe this is the electoral strategy christ lol because being a fake “wartime president” worked so well for trump I guess

We don't have a good reason to justify increasing our defense budget after getting out of Afghanistan. Sooner or later people will probably start grumbling about that, gotta have the next boogeyman in place.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Moon's haunted hutted

https://twitter.com/latestinspace/status/1467609634823454720?t=C4QCQMcgd6AYnARJjOJD9w&s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Kind of reminds me of the Face on Mars, specifically, the episode of the X-Files where a ghost-like extraterrestrial with that "face" possessed an astronaut and made him sabotage a space shuttle mission. NOTHING scared me more than that episode the first time I saw it, but just :lol: at this screengrab from it:

Also remember how last year we were all convinced that Hope Hicks gave Trump COVID? Turns out it's likely the other way around. And that a lot of other people probably got exposed to it from the Big Wet President.

quote:

From the day he tested positive until his hospitalization, Trump came in contact with more than 500 people, either those in proximity to him or at crowded events, not including rallygoers, according to a Washington Post analysis of the president’s interactions during that period.

That seven-day window reveals a president and chief of staff who took a reckless, and potentially dangerous, approach to handling the coronavirus, including Trump’s own positive test.

Trump and Meadows hid Trump’s positive test not just from the public, but also from his inner circle and from his top public health officials. He took part in a debate with Democratic rival Joe Biden three days later, never revealing the test result to Biden or event organizers.

And Trump took no extra precautions, such as mask-wearing or social distancing, to protect those he came in contact with in the days following the positive test.

By the end of October, more than two dozen people in Trump’s orbit would test positive for the coronavirus.

Trump was a loving vector in and of himself.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Instead of an Obelisk it'll be a cube with the following words written on it:

Y'ALL CRAZY. DON'T EVER LEAVE YOUR OWN SOLAR SYSTEM. FONDLY, THE REST OF THE UNIVERSE.

P.S. YOU'RE SERIOUSLY STILL USING FOSSIL FUELS? LOL. WE PUT FOOLPROOF DIRECTIONS FOR COLD FUSION ON PLUTO, IF YOU CAN GET TO THEM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Hal,