Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Super Mario Odyssey (2nd playthrough). Beat Bowser and saw credits. Going to try to get as many moons as possible now... Currently at 355.

It's probably the best 3d Mario game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
another campaign done. I'm not sure if it quite count as beating the game or if you've got to beat them all but if you did a speedrun of a character in castlevania or something you'd count it so. only 3.3% beat it as well

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

10. Deathloop

I thought it was...alright. It was definitely more Dishonored with a timeloop backstory than having the clockwork feeling of other timeloop games, and the fact you were handheld through the whole puzzle was very frustrating.

I did like that you were basically given free reign to use your powers and rampage as much as you like, in Dishonored I always felt like you were "supposed" to take the stealthy approach and ended up not really interacting with combat, and in Prey you're weaker enough than the usual enemies that you have to take each engagement a bit more carefully. I was mowing down people left and right in Deathloop when things went wrong, which was a cool change of pace.

Overall it didn't really live up to its potential, but I had fun with it anyway.

Edit: Just looking at my list again, apparently it was the year of time loop games - 12 Minutes, Deathloop, The Forgotten City, and also some Hitman which I feel semi-counts.

Aston fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 5, 2021

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Pokemon brilliant diamond

Mostly easy then Cynthia wrecked me twice. was probably the most fun part. a lot of poo poo is only available postgame so I'll still be in it for a while

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright. I didn't dislike it like I was afraid I would from the really dreadful first few missions. But it's definitely my least favorite Fire Emblem I've played by a pretty wide margin. A lot of the design choices in the maps are bizarre or frustrating (lots of respawning enemies and two separate missions the can be finished in 1 turn, stuff like that), the story sort of falls flat, and the characters really aren't anything special for the most part, which was disappointing because a lot of the character designs were really cool. The characters are such a big part of why people like Fire Emblem but most support conversations are just inane and don't flesh them out beyond their one or two surface-level traits. All the best emotional beats and pathos in the story was with your Nohr family, which just made me feel like I made the wrong choice picking Birthright, and it doesn't really seem to explain the villain's whole deal which I assume is something Conquest or Revelations goes into more. If it was just "well he's just a warmongering king" then I guess that works fine enough but there's a lot of hints that he's been possessed or replaced by something supernatural and he calls on the name of what I assume is some kind of god or something in the last fight but none of that's elaborated on.

But I enjoy the basic Fire Emblem gameplay enough to still have a solid time with this game overall, and there are some things I appreciate about it--a lot of the art and character designs etc are really cool as mentioned earlier, the traditional Japanese theme was neat, and the soundtrack was actually really nice which (aside from the Three Houses "Edge of Dawn" theme which I like a lot) isn't really something Fire Emblem usually distinguishes itself in. I don't ever see myself replaying this but I hear much better things about Conquest so I'll move onto it before too long.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright. I didn't dislike it like I was afraid I would from the really dreadful first few missions. But it's definitely my least favorite Fire Emblem I've played by a pretty wide margin. A lot of the design choices in the maps are bizarre or frustrating (lots of respawning enemies and two separate missions the can be finished in 1 turn, stuff like that), the story sort of falls flat, and the characters really aren't anything special for the most part, which was disappointing because a lot of the character designs were really cool. The characters are such a big part of why people like Fire Emblem but most support conversations are just inane and don't flesh them out beyond their one or two surface-level traits. All the best emotional beats and pathos in the story was with your Nohr family, which just made me feel like I made the wrong choice picking Birthright, and it doesn't really seem to explain the villain's whole deal which I assume is something Conquest or Revelations goes into more. If it was just "well he's just a warmongering king" then I guess that works fine enough but there's a lot of hints that he's been possessed or replaced by something supernatural and he calls on the name of what I assume is some kind of god or something in the last fight but none of that's elaborated on.

But I enjoy the basic Fire Emblem gameplay enough to still have a solid time with this game overall, and there are some things I appreciate about it--a lot of the art and character designs etc are really cool as mentioned earlier, the traditional Japanese theme was neat, and the soundtrack was actually really nice which (aside from the Three Houses "Edge of Dawn" theme which I like a lot) isn't really something Fire Emblem usually distinguishes itself in. I don't ever see myself replaying this but I hear much better things about Conquest so I'll move onto it before too long.

iirc half of the support convos in that game is a guy smelling a pie that a woman is baking and then they get married and have a kid.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycophobia posted:

i 1cc'd mega man 1 tonight but ive done it before so im not counting it for this year, would like to get no death some time but hte fire man refight is a bitch and takes like half my healthbar at least. got a couple of lucky 1up drops from enemies which was epic

1cc-ing mega man 1 is no joke, congrats. i haven't beat it in years, but i remember the beginning of guts man stage, ice man's stage, and pretty much all of the dr. wily stages being a beast. did you use the pause glitch on the rock monster? i don't think i've beaten him without it, i might try when i get it to it in my nintendo runthrough

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
no pause glitch. yellow devil is easier than he seems, it's 100% static and you dont really have to pay attention to anything but the bottom 3 rows, just takes a little practice

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycophobia posted:

no pause glitch. yellow devil is easier than he seems, it's 100% static and you dont really have to pay attention to anything but the bottom 3 rows, just takes a little practice

yeah, that makes sense. i think a lot of what i remember about mega man stages being hard is what i thought of them as a kid, it'll be interesting to play through them again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

38. 428 Shibuya Scramble. Fun detective VN with a good sense of humor and a cool aesthetic. its too long by a couple hours. Go the Black Bookmark ending I guess.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Just beat Her Story. Or I assume so. It’s a piece of crap and the actress is boring but it was kind of titillating typing in what seemed like important words until the story started annoying me rather just just being boring. 8/10

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arkanoid
i did not enjoy this, but it's a very well designed Breakout-type game. it's hard. one thing i appreciate it doing that i think a lot of early NES games don't do is alternating the difficulty of the levels. instead of a steady progression from easy to hard, they'll throw a hard level at you, then throw an easy level where they drew a picture of an ice cream cone or w/e with the blocks. 36 levels that just got harder and harder would have been too much, i think; it's nice to have "breather" stages and i wish more games took that into their design philosophy. the power ups that drop are cool because if you're not careful, they can sort of screw you over a bit, but if you time them right, you can more or less clear like half a level (once and only once i got a power up that opened the side of the level and just let me bypass the whole thing without breaking the bricks).

i guess this came packaged with some kind of paddle controller, sort of like it's its own little first generation console. not sure how it was but definitely better than a Dpad for this game. basically: i don't really like breakout clones, but this one has a ton of thought put into it, incorporating new hardware, being careful with level design, using the simple concepts of different types of bricks and power-ups without going haywire, etc. it even has an ending boss:

and an incomprehensible story:

this was a beast, though, looking forward to taking a comforting break with, let's see, what's next...

.......two Micronics ports?!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Elevator Action is pretty cool tho.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

slay the spire, killed the heart with 3 characters. this game completely owns and I see myself replaying it a lot and doing dailies just for kicks.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
deaths door. really fun zelda like adventure that's pretty to look at. didnt bother doing the work for the secret "true" ending because i didnt feel like backtracking all over + its probably impossible without a guide.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Circle of the Moon - Thief Mode

Man, I really enjoyed squeezing everything out of this game. Took about 6 and a half hours for the first clear, then only 2:30 for Magician, 4:20 for 100% with the Fighter (super OP), 3:30 for Shooter, and another 4:30 for the Thief.

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1466149550335299584?s=20

Thief has the distinct issue that if you are going for the good drops with the other characters, there's nothing that sets him apart. The only difference is that he gets a shitload of consumables, but constantly guzzling potions is boring. In the end, you simply have to play well, so I saw this as a hard mode of sorts.

Anyway this game rules and you should play it and that's me done posting about it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

extremebuff posted:

slay the spire, killed the heart with 3 characters. this game completely owns and I see myself replaying it a lot and doing dailies just for kicks.

Yeah, game only gets better and better at higher ascensions

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Plebian Parasite posted:

Athena not so much.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Plebian Parasite posted:

the nes port is garbage

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

welcome posted:

Athena not so much.

Yeah, maybe the arcade version is deece but the NES port is dire. I got it as a kid cause it had a hot chick on the cover.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

welcome posted:

Athena not so much.

yeah I'm four levels into this rn and it's almost definitely going to be in my top 10 worst nes games

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, game only gets better and better at higher ascensions

yeah the first level is more elites which just means more stacking trinkets, excited to see where that goes

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, maybe the arcade version is deece but the NES port is dire. I got it as a kid cause it had a hot chick on the cover.

Arcade version is exactly as good, I bought it on PS3 to find out.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

Ohhh, the old arcade game? Man it's been a while since I last played that. Good game though!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I only played the NES version of Elevator Action and I don't know why I'm surprised to learn there was a better arcade version, that's very normal

but I did play Elevator Action Returns in the Taito Legends 2 collection and it blew my mind because it's basically exactly how I imagined Elevator Action to be before I actually played it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
elevator action returns owns

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

elevator action returns owns

This

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

athena is good becaus e it came with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGCAIlGMbE

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

well if you bought it on the famicom

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

well if you bought it on the famicom

youd be a fool not to

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Beat "The Last Campfire"; kinda felt like kirkland brand Captain Toad.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i beat yakuza 0

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

little munchkin posted:

i beat yakuza 0

Love the ending

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
39. Pac-Man World 2 (89% Completion)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
athena's name is magic

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Simply Simon posted:

Anyway this game rules and you should play it and that's me done posting about it

Yeah I really like cotm too. I think AoS is probably the best overall of the gba titles but cotm is still my favorite. Great tunes.

Another 5 campaigns beaten in age2 de. I can't believe I ever had trouble with some of these back when they first came out

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I want to see it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011