Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

homeless snail posted:

shimoneta is good, also watch, and read, seitokai yakuindomo

I will give both a shot then!

Julias posted:

I really enjoyed it, but it's definitely stronger in it's fist half imo. It's not quite the same vibe, but panty & stocking with garterbelt is another fun, dumb crude potty humor show. I personally prefer the subs for P&SwG, but a lot of people like the dub, so either is fine based on your preference.

I keep forgetting about P&S despite multiple people recommending it to me at this point. I really should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

homeless snail posted:

theyre funny, their videos are mercifully short + a shocking number of their videos have english subs considering how little of an audience they have in the west. also you dont look like a weirdo when you post himehina videos. i highly recommend it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeRC0XQo2Zw

youtube also destroyed the user-submitted fansubs scene which is such a tragedy for many of the best youtubers out there like omesis and mochizuki himari

marumaru
May 20, 2013

mari from the eva rebuilds

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
shana from the shana anime

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

homeless snail posted:

yeah that was after, that's also when they started calling the clones love-chan and aipii

Ah. I really liked aipii actually but I never found out if she resurfaced elsewhere after she retired

Loves been on hiatus for months so I guess they probably just got out

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tabletops posted:

Ah. I really liked aipii actually but I never found out if she resurfaced elsewhere after she retired

Loves been on hiatus for months so I guess they probably just got out
love tweeted today after the kizuna ai announcement, idk what the deal is. they were a good pair after they were spun off tbh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aw hell nah, they done turned the Vtuber girls into ARGs

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Queue boss in FFXIV is strong but that's cause the game has a true break through feature

it has burgers

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Furnaceface posted:

I cant log in to FFXIV. Too many people. :smith:

Is Shimoneta any good or are there any shows like it? In the mood for some dumb potty humor and bum jokes.

Shimoneta is pretty funny is your just looking for crude jokes.

If you are looking for potty humour and bum jokes, you probably should check out Prison School.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

asobi asobase

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

I've watched the 97 Berserk anime it's decent

He actually didnt have anything to do.with Berserk that's a long standing western anime myth

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i already deleted hamelin when is seemed like you weren't liking it

Honestly most of my problems come from the subs being awful and lazy translations. I'd say wait for the inevitable Orphan subs rerelease. Altho Imagawa just wrote that

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Aurora posted:

hmmm but do i still get a gold star for watching it for different reasons

Hm. Sure!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tfw you find out you have the highest post count in the panels thread

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

GorfZaplen posted:

Honestly most of my problems come from the subs being awful and lazy translations. I'd say wait for the inevitable Orphan subs rerelease. Altho Imagawa just wrote that

Isn't Hamelin completely different tone wise from the manga, in that the anime is really dark, while the manga for the most part is a comedy

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Isn't Hamelin completely different tone wise from the manga, in that the anime is really dark, while the manga for the most part is a comedy

The manga switches from melodrama to slapstick in the blink of an eye. The heroine is regularly put in costumes and made to fight via remote control.
The anime is angsty all the time.

There was an theatrical release before the anime that follows the style of the manga.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it just that I'm more aware of it now, or do manga get cancelled faster these days if they aren't immediately a hit?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Is it just that I'm more aware of it now, or do manga get cancelled faster these days if they aren't immediately a hit?

Probably just more aware. Most Shonen Jump manga only last half a year.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Acerbatus posted:

six of one half-dozen of the other probably. shounen jump has had a run of pretty mediocre stuff like the candy manga lately, and that thing the toriko guy did that revealed he really only has the one gimmick

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Acerbatus posted:

It's a case of both being more aware of it (a lot of stuff back in the day didn't get translated, especially if it got an early cancelation/short run, and the internet wasn't openly discussing as much media, look how a bunch of anime from the 90s and 00s barely got attention but nowadays with a cursory glance on ANN or MAL you'll see everything and a good majority outside of children's shows are getting an official translation), and magazines like Shonen Jump churning through more new series to try to get a big hit a la Demon Slayer, jjk, one piece.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Patware posted:

six of one half-dozen of the other probably. shounen jump has had a run of pretty mediocre stuff like the candy manga lately, and that thing the toriko guy did that revealed he really only has the one gimmick

the candy manga was the one with the purple haired lady that got two seasons of an anime didnt it?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

the candy manga was the one with the purple haired lady that got two seasons of an anime didnt it?

That was a Shonen Sunday series, Dagashi Kashi. The same author is currently doing a vampire manga, Yofukashi no Uta.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Stairmaster posted:

Patware was referring to Candy Flurry, not Dagashi Kashi.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Julias posted:

It's a case of both being more aware of it (a lot of stuff back in the day didn't get translated, especially if it got an early cancelation/short run, and the internet wasn't openly discussing as much media, look how a bunch of anime from the 90s and 00s barely got attention but nowadays with a cursory glance on ANN or MAL you'll see everything and a good majority outside of children's shows are getting an official translation), and magazines like Shonen Jump churning through more new series to try to get a big hit a la Demon Slayer, jjk, one piece.
If you use a site like baka-updates, you'll see how many series have rushed endings because they got cancelled.

It'd be interesting to get some percentage statistics on how many are published vs cancelled, and optionally have a distribution based on age and time for when the cancellation occurs to see if it's changed.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy8tJ6r5DXc

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

It should end with Edge killing and replacing Internet Explorer

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Julias posted:

edge does show up

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Julias posted:

Afterwards, Chrome kills Edge and wears their skin as a mask.

Then Brave shows up, it's just Chrome but homophobic.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

sinky posted:

Actually, when Chrome first showed up, it had stolen every unique feature of Opera at the time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

homeless snail posted:

shimoneta is good
The back half becomes Whacky Sexual Assault The Anime when white haired morals committee girl enters the fray

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

i would never call my wife saya mediocre

candy flurry was the manga where someone made 'toytoy candy' that gave people the ability to do candy-based violence. it was very important that there was only one of each power except for how there wasn't in one situation to make the protagonist's life worse. it ended with the protagonist making the logical leap that anything attached to a stick is a lollipop so she made a lollipop that was a giant robot to beat up the other bad lollipop man

also everyone did candy steroids? it was somehow too many ideas at once but also no ideas at all

Patware fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 6, 2021

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

sinky posted:

Then Brave shows up, it's just Chrome but homophobic.

Should be the other way around considering edge is based off chromium

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
there's only one foxgirl web browser for me, unless they keep doing poo poo like getting rid of View Image

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
ARIA might be the most chill show I've ever seen.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Willo567 posted:

The manga has a way larger spectrum I've noticed reading it. It can veer from comedy to blackest nihilism very quickly, although early on its more comedy. The show is much more consistent at being a melodrama. The director chose this, and also chose the limited animation art style, because he loving loved the last two episodes of Eva, and not because of budgetary constraints as is often told. I believe it because whenever he allows animation it's some of the best I've seen in a television anime, like the animators were salivating at the chance to work their craft like hungry dogs. Some of the anime original characters are drawn super realistically like they came from a Satoshi Kon movie which makes me laugh every time. The sponsors pulled out from the show because they were expecting a straightforward adaptation (the director did a direct adaptation of the moderately popular Zenki the year before) and as a result the episode count got cut in half.

The first half of the show is actually a pretty faithful adaptation, tone and character changes aside. What happens and when is pretty similar. The second half is basically its own thing I'm pretty sure, haven't gotten far enough in the manga to say. You can sort of tell they got their episodes cut because the pacing suddenly goes into overdrive and every episode has the content of two. Since we don't have any time for interiority or reflection characters undergo major changes in the blink of an eye that would have made sense given another 13 episodes or so. Sometimes this maximum overdrive approach to character development does result in very impactful moments (Sizer's big episode is extremely good for flipping your conception of her on its head like lightning) but mostly it's baffling and kind of eye-rolling. That said after 13 episodes the sub quality jumps off a cliff so maybe with decent subs it would hit different. It's a cult classic so maybe there's good subs out there I'm unaware of. I would suggest this shows to fans of bombastic melodrama but the subs are the enjoyment draining kind of bad, where sometimes they just choose not to sub something that sounds kind of important and use lots of lazy translations that are memes in this day and age.

I know you weren't asking for a whole review on Violinist of Hamelin but it's been swirling in my mind for awhile now.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
does gorillaz count as vtubers

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is a kind of big spoiler but it's very funny to me, I know Yasuhiro Imagawa only wrote the show but I can't help but wonder how much of an influence he was considering in the anime Oboe looks very much like Alberto the Impact, down to having the same eye color

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SmokaDustbowl posted:

They're more vocaloids

Then again they don't have a synthized voice. :thunk:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SmokaDustbowl posted:

no because gorillaz is good