Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Steve Polychronopolous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

AlternateAccount posted:

Steve Motherfucking Polychronopolous

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m sorry. That was rude and presumptuous of me.

You could be Sean, or Alex

yo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Mr. BOB Dobolina.

I remember buying Del's album being mocked for it because it wasn't Blackstreet. You like No Diggity or you get your rear end beat.
Wtf was wrong with kids i went to high school with?

Edit: my phones autocorrect is both aggressive and wrong.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Dec 5, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

twistedmentat posted:

I remember buying Del's album being mocked for it because it wasn't Blackstreet. You like Mo Diggity or you get your rear end beat.
Wtf was wrong with kids i went to high school with?

who the gently caress is Mo Diggity?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Steve Mothertruckin' Polychronopolous

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Ok Comboomer posted:

who the gently caress is Mo Diggity?

Likes the way you work it.

Gotta back it up.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Actually that was totally a 90s thing: radio versions of songs with "funny" edits instead of just blanking out the swears. "Fire Water Burn" had that donkey bray, Kid Rock had the "radio edit" sample on "Cowboy", the radio version of Eels' "It's a Motherfucker" where he shouts "monster trucker" over the MF-word --- I don't think anyone really does that anymore, they either just blank it out or do a different version with alternate lyrics.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

dialhforhero posted:

Likes the way you work it.

Gotta back it up.

:discourse:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Actually that was totally a 90s thing: radio versions of songs with "funny" edits instead of just blanking out the swears. "Fire Water Burn" had that donkey bray, Kid Rock had the "radio edit" sample on "Cowboy", the radio version of Eels' "It's a Motherfucker" where he shouts "monster trucker" over the MF-word --- I don't think anyone really does that anymore, they either just blank it out or do a different version with alternate lyrics.

Sandler’s “Ode to My Car” was funnier when it was censored.
I also think about how they garbled up the word joint in Tom Petty’s “You Don’t Know How It Feels” and what an odd choice that was.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Was it Money by Pink Floyd where they never bothered to censor "bullshit"?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I think both radio and CD versions of the first Doors album from 1967 were still muting the word ‘high’ (As in “She gets high”) from Break On Through to the Other Side until like the mid-00s.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Shifty Nipples posted:

Was it Money by Pink Floyd where they never bothered to censor "bullshit"?

For a verrrry long time, yes, even in grocery stores, but I’ve been hearing it censored lately.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Del's sequel album is kind of bad. I really don't like the celebrity cameos like Joseph Gordon Levitt and David Cross.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Sigh.

The Kid Rock song says radio edit even on the album. That’s how the song was written.

I hate that I know this.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

For a verrrry long time, yes, even in grocery stores, but I’ve been hearing it censored lately.

It's weird that no one did anything about it for so long because it was very, very obvious. The censorship has only been in the past 5 years or so.

Though seemingly no one's ever caught on to the "loving hell" in Hey Jude and it still runs uncensored everywhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like when someone realized Money For Nothing had a bunch of slurs in it that older songs were examined again. Though the idea of swearing in a song and that being an issue seems so, 90s. I remember you'd hear a lot of stuff about how musicians didn't need to swear in their music, unlike now.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Sultans of Swing has no slurs, but did not have the slick music video with the Reboot tradies.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's weird that no one did anything about it for so long because it was very, very obvious. The censorship has only been in the past 5 years or so.

Though seemingly no one's ever caught on to the "loving hell" in Hey Jude and it still runs uncensored everywhere.

That, and how in Rocking Around the Christmas Tree, Brenda Lee just wants some fuckin pie

The one I can’t believe hasn’t been censored yet is “poo poo” in ZZ Tops’ “Legs”. That song has been played into the ground for 3+ decades and it still airs unedited every single time.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

GPTribefan posted:

The one I can’t believe hasn’t been censored yet is “poo poo” in ZZ Tops’ “Legs”. That song has been played into the ground for 3+ decades and it still airs unedited every single time.

Depends on the radio station I guess, cause I’ve heard the censored version on radio more often. Of course, there’s like three or four different versions of the song to begin with (Album version and a couple different lengths of the single remix) so it doesn’t surprise me that some are edited and some aren’t.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

END OF AN ERROR posted:

Sigh.

The Kid Rock song says radio edit even on the album. That’s how the song was written.

I hate that I know this.

Don't feel bad--"Devil Without A Cause" is a pretty good album. I never heard any of his subsequent stuff.

It says "radio edit" on my CD (which has the PMRC sticker on it) and on Spotify, but I found this youtube that has the original real original uncut lyric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppARrSP9GmA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Darkness went all the way with that (on their first album -- you know, the one people cared about) and it was pretty great to teenage me. The song "Black Shuck" ends with the lyric "That dog don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, woof!" but on the clean version it's "That dog don't give a duuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, quack!" There was also a use of "shucking fit", and even replacing a usage of "c*nt" with "coconut"somehow

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like when someone realized Money For Nothing had a bunch of slurs in it that older songs were examined again. Though the idea of swearing in a song and that being an issue seems so, 90s. I remember you'd hear a lot of stuff about how musicians didn't need to swear in their music, unlike now.

I think it's more the consolidation of station ownership over the last 25 years. Clear Channel went from 43 to 855 stations owned in that time.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
It’s because politicians were scared of rap.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Sir Lemming posted:

The Darkness went all the way with that (on their first album -- you know, the one people cared about) and it was pretty great to teenage me. The song "Black Shuck" ends with the lyric "That dog don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, woof!" but on the clean version it's "That dog don't give a duuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, quack!" There was also a use of "shucking fit", and even replacing a usage of "c*nt" with "coconut"somehow

Get your hand off of my woman melon faaaarmer, you coooooooconut!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my sister was married to a guy from the town that spawned Black Shuck. I believe his baleful influence was the cause of their divorce. bad dog.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtvmTu4zAMg

Released in 89 but I think most people would have heard it in the 90s.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The lead singer there was in an early episode of Highlander, the TV series

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Stereogum has a column called The Number Ones, where Tom Breihan is writing an article on every single song that has ever hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, in chronological order, going all the way back to Ricky Nelson's "Poor Little Fool" in 1958. He's up to 1991 now, and if you're reading this thread you'd probably be into it. He's currently in what is to my mind the absolute nadir of pop music. I mean, there are some memorable songs (his current column is on EMF's "Unbelievable"), but there is so much completely unmemorable crap. And I don't mean one-hit wonders, either; those are usually people whose one hit was memorable. Positive K was a one-hit wonder, but people totally loving remember "I Got A Man."

But Tommy T. Who the gently caress was Tommy T? This was a #1 hit song, but I defy anyone to remember hearing this song in 1991.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcEaUJoo0NE

Anyone, check the column out, it's uniformly excellent. Every article is full of 'today I learned," poo poo. Like I had no idea that the gravel-voiced old guy singing on the Box Top's "The Letter" was a 16-year-old Alex Chilton. I didn't know that the Divinyls were formed by people who left fuckin' Air Supply. Or that FYC was started by the rhythm section from The Beat (In the US they were called The English Beat and you definitely know some of their songs).

Here's the column on She Drives Me Crazy:

https://www.stereogum.com/2153188/the-number-ones-fine-young-cannibals-she-drives-me-crazy/columns/the-number-ones/

And here's Dolly Parton's cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pShm7GiN2JY

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Phanatic posted:

But Tommy T. Who the gently caress was Tommy T? This was a #1 hit song, but I defy anyone to remember hearing this song in 1991.

I had really weird and bad taste at that time so I definitely heard it and know why most probably didn't. This was played on adult contemporary (which was my jam as a ten y/o). Just loved playing with Legos and/or GI Joes and listening to Rod Stewart and Phil Collins.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oddly enough, the 1990-‘91 school year was the one year before I became a teen and developed my own taste in music that I didn’t listen primarily to schlocky AC, which explains why I cannot for the life of me remember that awful song.

The ones that stuck with me from that time were, strangely, Scorpions’ “Wind of Change” and Jesus Jones’s “Right Here, Right Now”. Not like, you know, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” or “November loving Rain”, because god forbid Pig Lagoon County, Ohio, has a decent modern rock station (emphasis on decent and modern). And then by 1992 I went back to the poo poo AC and pop. I think the portable stereo I had quit working or something. Weird.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Phanatic posted:

Oh gently caress, I remember this song - because of the rink where I'd go ice skating as a teen, rink full of kids and teens and the music was this song, Cutting Crew, Richard Marx, Chicago, Amy Grant, all sorts of soft rock/AC.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Roland used to come into my local in Holloway back in the early 2000s and it was SO hard not to walk up to him and yell "SHE DRIVES ME CRAZAYYYY"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
As soon as I saw "Tommy T", I knew you actually meant Timmy T. And that song.

Also, I remember a bunch of other wuss "rock" from them days.
I used to listen to Magic 102.5 from Buffalo NY, and was kind sorta current with stuff that was popular with people my age (9-10 ish) and teenagers. Like they'd play the censored version of Me So Horny by 2 Live Crew, and ummmm, other stuff that was actually popular. Pop music I guess, and then one day they started playing adult contemporary, and I either didn't notice, or was too dumb to realize and suddenly it was Micheal Bolton (covering Percy Sledge), Kenny G and a bunch of other Adult Contemporary crap.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Phanatic posted:

Stereogum has a column called The Number Ones, where Tom Breihan is writing an article on every single song that has ever hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, in chronological order, going all the way back to Ricky Nelson's "Poor Little Fool" in 1958. He's up to 1991 now, and if you're reading this thread you'd probably be into it. He's currently in what is to my mind the absolute nadir of pop music. I mean, there are some memorable songs (his current column is on EMF's "Unbelievable"), but there is so much completely unmemorable crap. And I don't mean one-hit wonders, either; those are usually people whose one hit was memorable. Positive K was a one-hit wonder, but people totally loving remember "I Got A Man."

Anyone, check the column out, it's uniformly excellent. Every article is full of 'today I learned," poo poo. Like I had no idea that the gravel-voiced old guy singing on the Box Top's "The Letter" was a 16-year-old Alex Chilton. I didn't know that the Divinyls were formed by people who left fuckin' Air Supply. Or that FYC was started by the rhythm section from The Beat (In the US they were called The English Beat and you definitely know some of their songs).

Here's the column on She Drives Me Crazy:

https://www.stereogum.com/2153188/the-number-ones-fine-young-cannibals-she-drives-me-crazy/columns/the-number-ones/

And here's Dolly Parton's cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pShm7GiN2JY

Thanks for this, I needed something to read today.

Back to one hit wonders. Here's another one that I've had stuck in my head for 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9Wqs4vjZM

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Micheal Bolton (covering Percy Sledge), Kenny G

Ugh, that’s all my mom would listen to when I was 9-13. Uggggghhhh

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
You know where I can get some Zubaz, man?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Phanatic posted:

Like I had no idea that the gravel-voiced old guy singing on the Box Top's "The Letter" was a 16-year-old Alex Chilton.

Dude was 16?!?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Ugh, that’s all my mom would listen to when I was 9-13. Uggggghhhh

https://youtu.be/b352cgAAH3U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Remember that cafe' in paris?