Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

AceClown posted:

hands down

This is the correct answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BigglesSWE posted:

Hell yeah.

I have some stuff signed by Rosa. He was a really cool dude.

He still is!

I have some blueprints for the vault and mansion he signed. Also he gets real mad if you talk about Duck Tales.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

dona rosa rules and disney did him dirty, pay-wise

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Push El Burrito posted:

He still is!

I have some blueprints for the vault and mansion he signed. Also he gets real mad if you talk about Duck Tales.

I’ve met him at comicons a few times. He has a sign on his booth informing the reader in no uncertain terms that his booth is NOT ducktails. :v:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Data Graham posted:

No George c. Scott? Wtf

One of my favorite actors, but the movie just didn’t work imo. Edward Woodward absolutely loving kills it as the Ghost of Christmas Present, though, and it has the best Fezziwig’s Party scene of any of the movies.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I only got around to watching Scrooged a few years ago but a few things did stand out for me about Murray's performance - he's mostly subdued but brings a lot of emotion when needed, like when he sees the homeless man frozen to death in the sewer, and it's obvious he's mostly angry at himself for letting that happen but he kind of projects that anger onto him as he starts extolling virtues he'd initially made fun of, where he's just like "YOU IDIOT! Why didn't you go to Claire's homeless shelter? You could have survived the winter you MORON!" and it's so clear he's just dealing with shock but the only way he knows how, and it's not a healthy reaction but it's pretty visceral one.

Also in the ending he really sells that Scrooge isn't just HAPPY to be alive, he's gone pretty much manic by that point, blowing right past joviality to the point that other characters are worried about him. I also kind of like that his visions directly attack his narcissism - his biggest fear in the future segment isn't his own death, but the idea that he might have killed Claire's morality.

Lol I had to rewrite claires name as I'd forgotten it and assumed because it was an 80s Bill Murray movie that she was played by Andie MacDowell when she was actually played by Karen Allen. :P

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So many different Scrooge actors beind claimed to be the best?! It's a Christmas miracle!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samovar posted:

So many different Scrooge actors beind claimed to be the best?! It's a Christmas miracle!

To be clear I didn't say he was the best, I said there was parts of his performance that were noteworthy.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

BaronVonVaderham posted:

no one's gonna top Picard.

Don't tempt me

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Okay so basically they're Marley and Marley.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

PirateDentist posted:

I’ve met him at comicons a few times. He has a sign on his booth informing the reader in no uncertain terms that his booth is NOT ducktails. :v:

Why?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

gleebster posted:

Others may have done miserly Scrooge better, but no one beats Sim's redeemed Scrooge. "I must stand on my head!"

100% agreed with this. His goofy giggling the whole time is just hilarious.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I seem to remember some animated not-Disney Christmas story that featured a Scrooge that they animated scrubbing the eagle off of a coin, and said eagle taking flight and fleeing the room while Bob Cratchit left to go home at the end of his shift.

In my memory it reminds me a lot of the type of animation done in the earlier Popeye cartoons (similar to the one where he confronts Sinbad the Sailor), but I'll be damned if I can remember anything other than the coin scrubbing scene.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Stories of his hate for Ducktales are apparently exaggerated for comic effect, but he clearly prefers the original writing(some of the characters, especially Scrooge McDuck, do get changed notably between the comic and the cartoons), and he wasn't actually part of the Ducktales cartoon at all. So it's a bit like someone asking an original creator to sign a fanfic someone made of their work, and at that a fanfic that they aren't particularly a fan of.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Probably doesn't help that the fanfic is extremely beloved and most fans of it don't even know of the source material's existence.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PurpleXVI posted:

Stories of his hate for Ducktales are apparently exaggerated for comic effect, but he clearly prefers the original writing(some of the characters, especially Scrooge McDuck, do get changed notably between the comic and the cartoons), and he wasn't actually part of the Ducktales cartoon at all. So it's a bit like someone asking an original creator to sign a fanfic someone made of their work, and at that a fanfic that they aren't particularly a fan of.
Duck Tales and Don Rosa's stuff are officially different forks off the Carl Barks stuff, so it's more like if Frank Miller kept being asked about Batman: The Animated Series. Eventually you put up a sign.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It must be a bit frustrating for him because AFAIK Donald Duck comics are basically an unknown entity in America, where he lives, whereas his comics are hugely popular here in Europe. Ducktales might well lead more Americans into reading his stuff, but more likely they won’t ever get that far, simply settling down with the new Ducktales being the most relevance that the characters have gotten in decades.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

It must be a bit frustrating for him because AFAIK Donald Duck comics are basically an unknown entity in America, where he lives, whereas his comics are hugely popular here in Europe. Ducktales might well lead more Americans into reading his stuff, but more likely they won’t ever get that far, simply settling down with the new Ducktales being the most relevance that the characters have gotten in decades.

God drat America sucks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, it's not like they actually sell the comics anywhere in America that people will notice.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

was gonna post this but honestly couldn't remember if this movie had aged terribly for reasons unmemorable to me at the time

nah, still good

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Imagine rejecting Don Rosa. The absolute state...

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
rosas mcduck fucks

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Aren't the new Duck Tales even implementing the Don Rosa canon? Like I know Della Duck is a character on the show and she's very much a Don Rosa character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Aren't the new Duck Tales even implementing the Don Rosa canon? Like I know Della Duck is a character on the show and she's very much a Don Rosa character.

The series mines the most obscure corners of the canon for ideas, it's got loving Fethry and he barely shows up in anything in English. Unfortunately, it only got three seasons.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What on earth, Fethry Duck is obscure? Next you'll tell me you've never heard of Grandma Duck, beloved matriarch of the (Mc)Duck family, or John D. Rockeduck, the second-richest citizen of Duckburg.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ducktales is it’s own thing yeah, but it takes a lot of inspiration from both Barks and Rosa.

In Rosa’s canon, Scrooge’s parents are both dead, and the “present” in his comics is in the 1950’s, meaning there’s no cellphones and other such stuff.

I would say that in terms of Rosa, the show is pulling stuff mostly from visual aspects. Scrooge’s whole family, both the living and the dead, are drawn basically exactly like Rosa did it.

I had Rosa draw Fergus McDuck in one of my collections, I’ll see if I can dig up a picture later.

BigglesSWE has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Dec 6, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BioEnchanted posted:

I only got around to watching Scrooged a few years ago but a few things did stand out for me about Murray's performance - he's mostly subdued but brings a lot of emotion when needed, like when he sees the homeless man frozen to death in the sewer, and it's obvious he's mostly angry at himself for letting that happen but he kind of projects that anger onto him as he starts extolling virtues he'd initially made fun of, where he's just like "YOU IDIOT! Why didn't you go to Claire's homeless shelter? You could have survived the winter you MORON!" and it's so clear he's just dealing with shock but the only way he knows how, and it's not a healthy reaction but it's pretty visceral one.

Also in the ending he really sells that Scrooge isn't just HAPPY to be alive, he's gone pretty much manic by that point, blowing right past joviality to the point that other characters are worried about him. I also kind of like that his visions directly attack his narcissism - his biggest fear in the future segment isn't his own death, but the idea that he might have killed Claire's morality.

Lol I had to rewrite claires name as I'd forgotten it and assumed because it was an 80s Bill Murray movie that she was played by Andie MacDowell when she was actually played by Karen Allen. :P

There's also this bit.

https://i.imgur.com/1RGq4fv.mp4

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
what is it about cartoon ducks that's so appealing to north europeans?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

what is it about cartoon ducks that's so appealing to north europeans?

No idea really. Some of it might be the whole Donald Duck on Christmas thing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_All_of_Us_to_All_of_You

Boomers have freaked out every time someone voices any criticism towards it so it’s here to stay which is fine I guess. But there’s also Donald Duck centric cartoons. Curiously enough, in the Swedish one, I recall the absolute majority of the comics to be imports. There’s a guy called Vicar, from Netherlands I think, who has done a bazillion duck comics. But we don’t really have any truly famous duck artist in Scandinavia I think.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
From gaulic costumed orgies, stories about Zeus taking animal forms to the Egyptian pantheon, humans have always had a sexual fascination with anthropomorphic creatures. Americans have a number of sports mascots to channel their pent up desires. Northern Europeans have comic books at the supermarket check out where they can experience their sexual awakening.

Vitruvian Manic has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Dec 6, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Millennials had sonic the hedgehog

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Goons had Tails gets trolled.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

endocriminologist posted:

rosas mcduck fucks

With Glittering Goldie, that one time in the cabin.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

flavor.flv posted:

Christians had sonic the hedgehog

If you ever pick up a sonic fan at a confurence, after an evening of mediocre movie-making they will be gone in the morning. A solitary chick tracts on the evils of sodomy left on the hotel bed is the only evidence that they ever really existed at all.

Edit: that is a heck of an autocorrect but I'm keeping it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm having a stroke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Read After Burning posted:

I'm having a stroke.

If I was robbed of a poo poo ton of stuff by someone I trusted and had befriended it'd probably break my brain too.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

Skwirl posted:

If I was robbed of a poo poo ton of stuff by someone I trusted and had befriended it'd probably break my brain too.

Yeah I mean this is pretty rich people problems so my sympathy is limited, but it doesn't seem terribly idiotic or anything.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Pustulio posted:

Yeah I mean this is pretty rich people problems so my sympathy is limited, but it doesn't seem terribly idiotic or anything.

I thought it was pretty dumb to be like "My insurance isn't paying for this, also I'm not contacting the cops about this." I'm pretty sure most insurance companies won't do poo poo about stolen property if you haven't got the police involved. Now, if this was some average joe I would understand not wanting to deal with police (particularly because Todrick is black), but Todrick is also very rich (or at least claims to be), and I would think he would know how insurance policies work.

The random switch to referring to himself in third-person was funny to me, as was the sudden "Anyway yay Christmas" at the end.

(Finally, Todrick has a reputation for not paying his dancers, etc. so the "it was a friend and someone I paid very well" is kinda.... doubtful.)

Sorry, I thought it was a bit of a different flavor of idiocy than the thread normally posts. :P Maybe I just lol at a rich C-list celebrity jumping on Instagram to call out their former friend/thief instead of..you know...contacting the cops.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Who is Todrick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

Who is Todrick?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todrick_Hall

The new spokesperson for the Just Dance games, and "besties" with Taylor Swift.

Edit: for Todrick NOT being dumb, see below. :) These are fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9UJCbRMTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjwX5FoD5lE

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Dec 6, 2021