Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's time for the best arc. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
First episode was pretty good. Op is great.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The new OP is rad.

Man these kids are buff now

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I've been excited to see this arc animated; I picked up the manga at the end of the 1st season and this was my favorite part.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If I saw the movie, which episode should I pick back up on?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If I saw the movie, which episode should I pick back up on?

The beginning of the new season, which aired today.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
is this guy the first mormon hashira

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

If a woman is determined to dedicate her life to you, the least you can do is marry her.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Oh, man. Tengen shares his voice actor with Kamina! This rules. :kamina:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
One of my favorite animation derails in this show is how chunky the tears look. Casually losing 5% of my bodyweight in water every time I cry, no big deal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL at Japanese people scratching their head at the English translation of S2. You know you got some serious hang ups about sexuality when glorious Nippon giving you the side eye for being too conservative. Pretty funny stuff

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL at Japanese people scratching their head at the English translation of S2. You know you got some serious hang ups about sexuality when glorious Nippon giving you the side eye for being too conservative. Pretty funny stuff

This is such a “wont somebody please think of the children” move… about a show where literal children fight to the death with lots of blood and gore.

But oh boy can’t call it a red light distract or the parents will riot

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
TBF, 'entertainment district' is probably more accurate. There's plenty of prostitution, sure, but it's tied together with art, theatre, and music of every conceivable variety. They went for a kabuki aesthetic with the new end-of-episode skits, for instance, and while that was an art-form closely tied to the sex trade, it would be misleading to say that it was mostly what it was about.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I see where you’re coming from, but “Yuukaku” translates to “Pleasure District” or “Brothel”, it’s a very specific word. Japanese people don’t mince words when they name poo poo. They have completely different words for family entertainment vs adult entertainment. If the Japanese wanted us to think it was an entertainment district for families with movie theatres and art galleries and clowns and stuff they’d have called it something like “kanrakugai”, which is the actual word for what you’re talking about, like an outdoor mall for families and couples to hang out together.

It would be like if we released a show called “Murder at the Whore House!” and they translated it to “Murder at the Movie Theatre!”, see how completely different those seem to us as English speakers, and how it sort of wildly changes your expectations for what it might be about? That’s how weird it sounds to JP fans of KNY.

I haven’t read the books and don’t know where the story goes but even just watching the trailers for the season all the “yuujo” seem pretty prominently featured.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that the enslaved prostitutes entertained in various other ways doesn't make them something other than enslaved prostitutes living in the district for prostituting slaves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 8, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's called the "Entertainment District" because this season will IMO be very entertaining!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 9, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bust Rodd posted:

posting in the formerly named Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse forum to remark on the prudishness of the American mind in comparison to the sexual progressiveness of anime

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
They should have just called it “Taishō Vegas”.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that the enslaved prostitutes entertained in various other ways doesn't make them something other than enslaved prostitutes living in the district for prostituting slaves.

The Oiran's at least were pretty well respected. Given that they could generally pick their customers, and the highest ranking ones did not even engage in sex work. So it's a bit weird for you to call them slaves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Oiran's at least were pretty well respected. Given that they could generally pick their customers, and the highest ranking ones did not even engage in sex work. So it's a bit weird for you to call them slaves.

they were slaves in that they were either purchased as property or born as property and were only free to leave if someone else purchased them. the oirans were there for advertising purposes and brought in customers who then drank and partied and slept with less prestigious sex slaves. there was other entertainment to go along with the sex trade, is all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Tengan quite a lot.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I haven't seen the new stuff in Season 2 yet, but I don't think I've ever hated a group of characters that I think I'm "supposed" to like more than the Hashira. To me, they were introduced in the worst way possible... a buncha one-dimensional characters who treated Tanjiro and Nezuko like garbage, and are extremely two-faced about the Master they supposedly love and adore. And to be honest, all it would take for me to open up the door to liking them, is for them to just apologize. But I feel like I'm already supposed to just like them, so I don't think I'll ever get the satisfaction of seeing them own up to their mistakes. Even Rengoku only said he was sorry seconds before he died.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like Tengan quite a lot.

I like it when he punched annoying zenitsu

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I haven't seen the new stuff in Season 2 yet, but I don't think I've ever hated a group of characters that I think I'm "supposed" to like more than the Hashira. To me, they were introduced in the worst way possible... a buncha one-dimensional characters who treated Tanjiro and Nezuko like garbage, and are extremely two-faced about the Master they supposedly love and adore. And to be honest, all it would take for me to open up the door to liking them, is for them to just apologize. But I feel like I'm already supposed to just like them, so I don't think I'll ever get the satisfaction of seeing them own up to their mistakes. Even Rengoku only said he was sorry seconds before he died.

i mean it's kind of a big ask to trust a demon when they're basically in a thousand year old demon hunter cult raised by demon hunters or whatever

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Also most of them have had their lives utterly ruined by demons and (I think) have experiences with demons lying through their teeth long just long enough to try and kill the people who take pity on them. It’s part of why they became demon slayers, and this same hatred of demons drove them to be strong enough to push the limits of their swordsmanship and become pillars. (Most, but not all. Rengoku came from a family of demon slayers, but he was by no means the norm.)

This will be covered for a lot of the pillars later on in the series. Some of them are very nice, actually, but they aren’t all great people. They’re not there to be nice. They’re there to kill as many demons as possible.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Nezuko isn't just a demon, though. She's also a waifu

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Zenitsu parachute account spotted

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

All the hashira eventually grew on me but there are some of them that absolutely would never accept Nezuko or contemplate apologizing for their initial hostility towards her and Tanjiro, and I don't even consider this part of why their initial appearance sucks (that rests entirely on how heavily one-dimensional-personality-quirk-upfront they're presented).

In their defense I'll add that besides their own personal tragedies, as far as the corps are aware good demons are literally impossible - they've all been created either by Muzan directly or under his auspices, and are supernaturally bound to him. While Ubuyashiki seems to be secretly acquainted with Tamayo and it might be the reason why he ordered Nezuko spared, for the rest she is a completely novel aberration.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah, something important to realize about these characters is that they're bigger than the protagonists' story. We as viewers have inside knowledge and of course implicitly trust Nezuko. They on the other hand have seen countless lives lost and ruined because of demons and there has never in the history of the entire Slayer-Demon conflict ever been a demon who didn't bend to Muzan or give into desire. It's in their nature.

And, too, the story isn't about the Hashira so it's hard to see how the appearance could have been styled better. There's no time in the story to flesh them out immediately and this is a shonen, so of course their initial introduction is going to be one-bit. They all have their time in the spotlight, just later.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That's all fair, I guess their first impressions hit me hard. Still, some apologies wouldn't be too much to ask I think....

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Honestly if you spend any amount of time in academia you will absolutely see the humor in the most obsessive, one dimensional individuals rising to the top of their chosen field in a setting where their glaring personality flaws are, if anything, a competitive advantage.

Between this, Jujutsu Kaisen, and other series it's hard not to see this as a conscious and deliciously cynical trend

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i wasn't ready for ripped zenitsu

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The Hashira are all super eccentric weirdos who at one point or another, for one reason or another (mostly through personal massive tragedy and trauma) started hating Demons enough that they began dedicating their entire lives to the extermination of all demons. It makes sense that they look at Nezuko with a lot of suspicion

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't think you're supposed to like Tengan at first, what with the whole kidnapping young women to conscript them into going undercover as entertainers/"entertainers".

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

C-Euro posted:

I don't think you're supposed to like Tengan at first, what with the whole kidnapping young women to conscript them into going undercover as entertainers/"entertainers".

lol 'at first', like this doesn't make him irredeemably evil

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I don’t think we are meant to think super hard about Demon Slayer. In the last episode Tengen lays it out for the boys that the entertainment district is loaded with women forced into prostitution to pay off debts and then is like “but I can’t seem to find the demons hiding here”

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Verus posted:

lol 'at first', like this doesn't make him irredeemably evil
I too cannot distinguish between different time periods and cultures and thus condemn everything but what I personally believe in the here and now as heresy.

E: added quote for clarity.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I too cannot distinguish between different time periods and cultures and thus condemn everything but what I personally believe in the here and now as heresy.

E: added quote for clarity.

There was never a time period in history where kidnapping women wasn’t hosed up, OP

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Demon Slayers should give up fighting demons in secret and instead use their supernatural swording skills to violently overthrow the government and implement a cultural revolution more in line with 21st century western humanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
C'mon now, Tengan's plan was obviously not to force anyone to actually work as a prostitute. He just needed people to sneak into the three places his wives were long enough to ask around about them.