Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

These guys:

They're probably too "at ease" to be used for what you'd want. Not that it matters, they were extremely expensive and not even made anymore.

I feel like 28mm is the wrong scale for that kind of model, every sculptor wants their mini to stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm suspicious that the WHFB relaunch will include strips of 28mm figures in horde armies, so as to let players field massive blocks of troops without devaluing individual AoS models.

Nobody seems to make ranked 28 strips yet, though. There's some very nice 15mm 3d print ones, and I'm surprised nobody's scaled those up yet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fashionable Jorts posted:

These guys:

They're probably too "at ease" to be used for what you'd want. Not that it matters, they were extremely expensive and not even made anymore.

I feel like 28mm is the wrong scale for that kind of model, every sculptor wants their mini to stand out.
Yeah that's them. They were also sold separately as "at ease sections" but people realised that the clean-up required for them was equivalent to separating the strips because of how thin the joins were and just bought those instead.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Le Grande Poste

Thanks for the effortpost! I have to admit, six bases per battalion looks magnificent, but might be a bit of a space issue. I can definitely see what you mean about base depth too. 40mm for two ranks of three men seems to do me fine for marching figures, but I did discover that other poses do cause a bit of worrying overhang.

These guys are on the edge of okay since Perry Miniatures' ECW range are really small (closer to 25mm than 28mm), but the muskets of the front rank do overhang a little bit, which is concerning.

I might have to invest in some 45x50mm bases.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Has anyone had experience of using an early war Bolt Action army vs a late war one? I just remembered I had a great-uncle who apparently got off a boat onto Crete and was immediately captured by German paratroops, and for him, the war was over. He did get back eventually.

So I'm interested in building a Commonwealth army for North Africa/Greece/Crete, but the heaviest AT gun I can get is a 2 pounder/25 Pounder. If I ever got the army done I suspect everyone else here plays mid-late war. Are the army points balanced for that sort of thing (by throwing enough shells at the enemy that they get pinned) or would it be pretty hopeless? I understand if you can't damage something it can ignore pins, so would an early war army fight a late war heavy tank?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The way Bolt Action is balanced light tanks and light AT guns are actually a better value than heavier stuff. I once saw a guy absolutely crush all comers in a tournament using a swarm of Panzer 1s.

I primarily play Japanese who don’t have much heavy equipment across the board and do just fine. My light AT gun has more kills than anything else I field in my other armies. So yeah, it’s totally viable. The British in particular get access to a boat load of special troops, some of which are incredibly powerful such as Gurkhas and Maori.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

moths posted:

I'm suspicious that the WHFB relaunch will include strips of 28mm figures in horde armies, so as to let players field massive blocks of troops without devaluing individual AoS models.

Nobody seems to make ranked 28 strips yet, though. There's some very nice 15mm 3d print ones, and I'm surprised nobody's scaled those up yet.

They are re-launching WHFB?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

They are re-launching WHFB?

Someday

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cross-posting some tiny Romanians:

Oath Complete!

Claiming Make Your Mark for the tail numbers, kill markings, and doofy tail art man (which is apparently accurate) on the planes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Painted some Art of Tactic T-34s. Very good detail, even though they're tiny. I expected two identical chassis with different turrets, but both the hull and running gear are completely different for the T-34 and T-34-85.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'm "rationing" painting cuirassiers until I get more of the chasseur a pied done, but in practical terms this just means that I'm spending my time not actually painting anything. The test model for the 4eme regiment is done - the orange looks a bit too red though and the aim of all contrast for speed is going to go out the window. Black horses are absolutely my least favourite thing to paint in any system, any model, any manufacturer. Horses always look ridiculous because at base they are ridiculous animals.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

lenoon posted:

I'm "rationing" painting cuirassiers until I get more of the chasseur a pied done, but in practical terms this just means that I'm spending my time not actually painting anything. The test model for the 4eme regiment is done - the orange looks a bit too red though and the aim of all contrast for speed is going to go out the window. Black horses are absolutely my least favourite thing to paint in any system, any model, any manufacturer. Horses always look ridiculous because at base they are ridiculous animals.

Cuirassiers are so much fun to paint though. :) I need to paint up at least one more regiment to be able to field a heavy brigade, though I also have far too many unpainted light cavalry units in my cupboard to rationalize buying more of the heavy boys.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
chasseurs à cheval > any heavy boi :colbert:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

chasseurs à cheval > any heavy boi :colbert:

I have some Polish Uhlans waiting too. Lancers are elegant af.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Polish guard lancers are going to be the light wing of the cavalry, but there’s a plan in place:

Finish Old Guard
Complete Curiassiers
Do middle guard
GUNS MORE GUNS
Lancers

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

lenoon posted:

Polish guard lancers are going to be the light wing of the cavalry, but there’s a plan in place:

Finish Old Guard
Complete Curiassiers
Do middle guard
GUNS MORE GUNS
Lancers

Nice. My Nappy Road Map:

Polish bulk painting bonanza (4 battalions of Duchy of Warsaw for a separate brigade, 1 more battalion of Vistula Legion)
More light cavalry (I already have assembled and partially primed: 1 regiment of chasseurs, 1 of hussars, 2 of DoW uhlans)
Top off my French brigades (rebase a bunch of SP2 based infantry and paint some additional command for 4 more battalions)

I also have two boxes of Victrix guard infantry, so I might paint them up quickly at some point to bulk out the French army. given that it's just great coats and crossbelts it should be pretty simple.

After that I might finally get to a point where I'll buy more minis, and then it'll be to add some French legere battalions.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Polish bulk painting bonanza is a good pick for thread title.

That is all going to look seriously rad. I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to really jump into napoleonics, it is just great. Feel very enthused by the project.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If I'm making a Régiment Légère, were they in close order like the Ligne or were they more open?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

If I'm making a Régiment Légère, were they in close order like the Ligne or were they more open?

Ostensibly they were supposed to be quicker, more independent, and better shots, and were drilled harder in skirmishing (and were shorter because that's how you get judged in 19th century conscription, short = fast.) In reality they'd use standard formations in most cases. They even had their own variant of manlet grenadiers on the right flank company, called carabiniers.

They're prolly best modeled just like regular line unless the game sets them apart, and just painted with their colours (more blue bits, fancy epaulettes, and civilian instead of blue trousers if you want to get really authentic)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yes it was one of those things that changed over time, and the difference between legere and ligne regiments typically decreased over time. Many of the defining parts of the uniforms were also taken away formally from the legere regiments in the Bardin regulation of 1812, even though many regiments seems to have kept them. Pretty much if you asked the legere regiments themselves they would have answered that they were clearly more elite than those ligne regiments (and that's why all of them deserved to carry epaulettes and a briquet sword like the elite companies typically did), though how true that elite status was had more to do with to what degree that specific regiment had been demolished in a previous campaign.

Earlier on (like, say 1805) you'd clearly see that they expected legere regiments to head assaults and to get more stuck in in difficult terrain, villages etc.. For example, when Drout packs nine battalions into a cube at Austerlitz to blitz the Russians in front of him, he puts his three legere battalions at the front.

Almost until the end of the period all French units, legere or ligne, were expected to be able to operate in skirmish formations or line formation when needed. In practical wargaming terms there's nothing that the ligne could do that legere couldn't, and vice versa. For a hobbyist it's mainly an excuse for being allowed to paint two slightly different uniforms as a French player, where someone doing Austria or whatever gets to play with tons of different facing colours. But being Napoleonics, slight uniform differences is pretty much what it's all about.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 1, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just throwing a mention for my recently started PBP Contemptible Little Armies. Currently it's three poor goons against me who has a better view of the map, since it's in my living room and I'm using push pins :hellyeah:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lol today I hit peak TMP and peak napoleonics simultaneously.

TMP: "Why don't people read more about the battle of Hohenlinden?! It's a very important battle but it seems forgotten"

TMP 2: "Hohenlinden isn't obscure, there's tons written about it!"

Me: "I'm curious about Hohenlinden, so what's a good reading recommendation?"

TMP 2: "Like, there's tons of options! For example, there's:

"Die Schlacht zu Hohenlinden in Baiern, im Jahre 1800 den 3ten Dec. …."
Europäische Annalenm Jahre 1801
Ernst Ludwig Posselt (1763-1804)
Tübingen u. Stuttgart : Cotta'schen Buchhandlung, 1801
128 pages ; 22 cm

And well, there's:

Die Schlacht bei Hohenlinden am 3. Dezember 1800 und die vorausgegangenen Heeresbewegungen
Anton Schleifer (?-?)
Erding u. München : Verlag Josef Hauser, 1897
new edition ; vii+48+Anlage(15) pages ; map in color ; in 8°

And there's even;

Bataille De Hohenlinden Livrée le (12 Frimaire an 1X.) 3 Décembre 1800
Dépôt Général de la Guerre
Paris : Piquet, 1829
3 planches et movements

There's so much to choose from!"

Me: :negative:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Getting started boxes should probably include vouchers for lessons in the relevant language really. It’s a shame we can’t do all that much about - my french is ok (I can hold conversations about light pointless topics, just like you’re supposed to with school french), but there’s no way I’ll ever learn enough french at this point to dive into proper academic history.

Cest la vie, I guess we can console ourselves by reading extensively about stuff that happened to/within our various native languages and learning enough to shout “advance!” when the dice roll right.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also me, just reading this.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lilljonas posted:

There's so much to choose from!"

Me: :negative:

lol i love tmp if for nothing else than to get a glimpse into the mind of an old grognard i'd otherwise never even imagine

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Who's TMP?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

TMP = The Miniatures Page, I think

Posting this everywhere because I spent all day procrastinating from actually doing anything useful and because Cessna recommended bloody miniatures and now I can't evangelise for those guys enough. They're gorgeous miniatures but big enough that despite the size comparison image they're almost space-marine-to-guard scale, so they're going to get a complimentary but completely different paint scheme from my main blocks - the fun, pocket sized game equivalent of pike and shotte that I call "Jet set ec double-uuuuuuuuuuuuu"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Tried learning how to play Sharp Practice! on my own today. I am still not sure I understand movement (can I change direction during a move? or do I have to Wheel?) and Controlled/uncontrolled fire, but I am going to keep playing solo games to try and learn more.

gallery: https://imgur.com/a/OUGo65k

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The miniatures page. Probably the biggest historicals page before facebook appeared. There’s a ton of reasons not to visit the page, the webdesign just being one, but there are tons of old valuable threads if you’re looking for information and a few good poster still roam the awful mess that is TMP today.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I have never seen a website that takes longer to load than TheMiniaturesPage. I don’t know why that’s the case.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Luftwaffles posted:

Just finished my first mission in a Vietnam War campaign using "The 'Nam: The Way it Was" by Wayne Bollands.

The rules let you use a campaign system and take a platoon through a series of missions with the soldiers surviving from one mission to the next.

Here's the platoon roster:

Each soldier is numbered to randomize any hits while playing.

3rd Platoon, Bravo Company, 1/503rd Infantry:

(Not pictured, Forward Observer team and Dog Team)

MISSION
UH-1D call sign "Lancer 11" was shot down vic An Loc Dong. 3rd Platoon, B Company will secure the crash site and rescue any survivors. Intel reports minimal VC / NVA presence in the area.

US Forces deploy - negative enemy contact.

From left to right, front row: 3rd Squad, M60 Team B, 2nd Squad, M60 team A, 1st Squad. Second row: PSG, Medic, Tiger, Dog Team, FO, PL

The rules as written use a card deck for activation where each side has an assigned suite and each unit an assigned card (ex: 1st Squad, A Team is a 4 of hearts). I instead made a token for each unit from extra 28mm round bases with a national flag on one side and the specific unit on the other.

The first pull:

drat.

Using a random number generator (1-47) I rolled a 44. SGT Currie and the dog team tripped a booby trap! (What kind of terrible nose does this dog have?!)

It was right now that I realized I clumped my platoon headquarters VERY closely, with the dog team, PL, and FO caught in the blast zone. (Within 3")

Rolling for hits, the dog gets knocked down and will miss its next turn (maybe it will get its head in the game now), SGT Currie is uninjured, the Lieutenant and his RTO are unscathed. Sadly, the good luck ends there and the FO team takes the brunt of the blast.

SGT Jones and PFC Ciesielski are both killed.

The next few turns are uneventful, with the US forces advancing across the rice paddies with negative contact.

Once 2nd Squad starts to cross the final rice paddy, the NVA make an appearance (of course Army Intel was wrong!).

A fireteam and MMG open up on 1st Squad from a paddy dyke and a log bunker.

PV2 Bracewell is wounded and out of the fight!

Luckily, the next token was for a US Mortar barrage. The platoon leader called it in and dropped some steel on target.

This killed 2 NVA and suppressed both teams.

On the next token one of the US M60 teams sprays the jungle and inflicts a lucky hit on the MMG gun team.

With the only NVA on the field suppressed. 2nd Squad advances into the paddy field towards Lancer 11's crash site.

But quickly trigger more of the ambush with 2 additional NVA fireteams deploying.

The incoming fire fails to cause any US casualties, but 2nd Squad is pinned down in the mud.

The next turn sees another US Mortar token pulled, and 2LT Shull adjusts fire on to the NVA fireteam occupying Lancer 11's crash site.

This kills one of the NVA infantrymen and suppresses the team (I would also assume this destroys Lancer 11 ... so mission failed?).

Just when 2nd Squad thinks they are safe, an NVA MMG bunker opens up from their left flank hitting the RTO, SPC Hodges, in the neck, inflicting a severe wound.

(Interestingly, SPC Hodges was the only out-of-uniform soldier in the squad, being shirtless under his flak jacket. He probably was wearing white socks and had his hands in his pockets too.)

On the US right flank, M60 Team A opens up on the original NVA MMG Bunker, gets another lucky hit, and takes the team out of action.

Trying to flank the bunker hammering away at 2nd Squad, 3rd Squad advances towards the jungle, and promptly triggers another NVA fireteam.

Things are looking grim for 2nd Squad - pinned down in a rice paddy with 3 fireteams and an MMG bunker firing at them, casualties are about to mount. Luckily, the next token pulled is for the A4-B Skyhawk.

The Skyhawk is on target, and drops a load of napalm on the bunker.

The napalm also catches 3 of the NVA infantrymen in the fireteam along the paddy dike. Napalm in this game is lethal, if you get hit you are dead. At this point, the surviving NVA infantrymen decide enough is enough and bug out to Cambodia.

No longer pinned down, 2nd Squad advances by fire towards Lancer 11's crash site.

They inflict a casualty on the NVA fireteam, but it is not enough to suppress the NVA. The NVA's return fire sees SPC Novak take an RPK burst in the neck, killing him and pinning 2nd Squad's Bravo Team.

However, after this exchange of fire the remaining NVA decide to call it a day and retreat into the jungle.

The final tally is:

US:
3 KIA (Jones, Ciesielski, Novak)
2 WIA (Bracewell, Hodges) - Bracewell's wound is severe enough to be sent back to the States, but Hodges will return after the next mission.

NVA:
10 KIA (5 to the Napalm strike!)
6 WIA

Naturally, the US forces report a body count of 10, with 276 probables. (Westmoreland math at its best)

Being the first mission, 3rd Platoon isn't eligible for any replacements. "Luckily", the FO team are not organic to the platoon and will be replaced by battalion, but we are down 2 permanently from the organic platoon structure, with 1 missing the next mission.

The new, reorganized platoon looks like this:

The PSG's RTO (Maxwell) will replace Hodges while he is recovering, while Allen and Ruiz from the Weapons Squad will fill in as riflemen.

Overall, this was a fun game and a great introduction to the rules. I would recommend the ruleset to anyone interested in a persistent Vietnam wargame, at least until Warwick Kinrade's 'Nam 68 comes out.

I know this post was half a year ago, but I am just catching up on the thread and wanted to let you know this was a huge highlight for me. I love how it seemed like a fairly realistic encounter, with ambushes, calling in artillery, and fairly light casualties followed by withdrawals, as opposed to most tabletop games where units fight unrealistically to annihilation. Can you tell me about the models? Wondering where you got them from and what your painting scheme was, especially for the Americans. Would love more battle reports like this if you play again!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lilljonas posted:

The miniatures page. Probably the biggest historicals page before facebook appeared. There’s a ton of reasons not to visit the page, the webdesign just being one, but there are tons of old valuable threads if you’re looking for information and a few good poster still roam the awful mess that is TMP today.

Ohhh that ugly blue site where the content only takes up the right 50% of the screen.

It always comes up when I search for "____ wargame ruleset" trying to find good rules. It's a pretty useful site, but ugly as hell.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I know this post was half a year ago, but I am just catching up on the thread and wanted to let you know this was a huge highlight for me. I love how it seemed like a fairly realistic encounter, with ambushes, calling in artillery, and fairly light casualties followed by withdrawals, as opposed to most tabletop games where units fight unrealistically to annihilation. Can you tell me about the models? Wondering where you got them from and what your painting scheme was, especially for the Americans. Would love more battle reports like this if you play again!

If anyone knows where to buy that Nam ruleset please let me know. I couldn't figure it out and I forgot to ask back when that post was made.

edit: nevermind, found it. https://www.caliverbooks.com/bookview.php?siqq7sb4m5rd2qg00opql7df34&id=28707&subcatcode=I&subcatno=75

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 6, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Yeah drat, that write-up sounds great! Makes me want to play it in a similar MACV-SOG Brightlight scenario, dropping in to extract stranded soldiers and/or helicopter pilots from a hill and blow up the wreck, all the while being punished by NVA forces.

Urgh, and I've still gotta finish my Alpini! Don't make me even more tempted for this! (Unless of course, I can reuse my Alpini.... we all remember the very brief, minor Italian Indochina war, right? Didn't make many headlines, but the mountaineers/Alpini were definitely sent to the jungles of Vietnam) :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 6, 2021

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

alg posted:

Tried learning how to play Sharp Practice! on my own today. I am still not sure I understand movement (can I change direction during a move? or do I have to Wheel?) and Controlled/uncontrolled fire, but I am going to keep playing solo games to try and learn more.

gallery: https://imgur.com/a/OUGo65k

Your tokens look like tasty mints

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah drat, that write-up sounds great! Makes me want to play it in a similar MACV-SOG Brightlight scenario, dropping in to extract stranded soldiers and/or helicopter pilots from a hill and blow up the wreck, all the while being punished by NVA forces.

Urgh, and I've still gotta finish my Alpini! Don't make me even more tempted for this! (Unless of course, I can reuse my Alpini.... we all remember the very brief, minor Italian Indochina war, right? Didn't make many headlines, but the mountaineers/Alpini were definitely sent to the jungles of Vietnam) :D

Oh man, now I'm in the process of talking myself into buying into a 'nam game in a convo with a friend. Partly so that I can try using a couple of contrast paints (green and face) on a white base coat, to see if I can rapidly paint-up a mostly-acceptable force. Since if so, I think I'll probably redo my Alpini using the same style, since I'm not a fan of the watery paints I have for them at the moment.

Is this generally regarded as the best platoon-level 28mm Vietnam game, or are there others that tend to be preferred? Shame there's no Bolt Action expansion for it, I guess. Since I'm actually somewhat familiar with that system

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Well, it took me a few months, a lockdown and having a kid, but I finally finished off my Black Seas starter set!

Rigging them took forever but looks great in person. The acetate ratlines are way too fiddly to be worth it as there's basically no surface area to attach them to the masts so I gave up after doing the frigates.
Hopefully I will actually get to use them this week!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This link is pretty much the only reason I visit TMP unless an obscure google search takes me there

http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I've painted a few troops for Vietnam. They're 15mm scale, based for FoW 'Nam but usable for anything. If you want painting recipes or whatever, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NTRabbit posted:

This link is pretty much the only reason I visit TMP unless an obscure google search takes me there

http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html
That page is [i]old[i]. GW haven't talked about 25mm scsle figures since vefore I started playing, and they're closer to 32mm now :stare:

Cessna posted:

I've painted a few troops for Vietnam.
Dude, that's like a whole drat infantry battalion delivered to the enemy any way you choose. That is nowhere near "a few".