Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I've had a bad Inca game where Spain and Portugal has beaten me. But now something happened to Spain and it's just Portugal and they can't do anything about me. I'm colonizing South America. Portugal drop colonists there, they form a colony and become defenseless. I declare war on them and annex them all and Portugal doesn't care. I'm expanding into Mexico too cause my Trade Capital is in Panama, and there GB conquers natives, gives their land to a cooonial state and I come and destroy those guys. It's easier than conquering Nahuatl countries cause there are no alliances and coalitions, GB colony stands alone.

Is this a recent change?.. it feels wrong. I've just started the Age of Absolutism and I have little doubts it'll be easier to conquer all of Americas and Sunset Invade Europeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Colonial nations have been defenseless against human-played natives for a long time. Overlords may OCCASIONALLY use Enforce Peace against you but that just means a five-year truce and they probably won't do it next time. As long as the overlords don't own any provinces or colonies-in-progress nearby you dont even get any AE with them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember to leave at least one colonial nation province so they immediately start growing again instead of waiting for five new ones

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are there plans to flesh out the not-Asia part of the map? That feels like the one big gap. You've got centaurs, not-India, hobgoblins, and then what would be China is just empty and uncolonized.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Wafflecopper posted:

You also don't have to colonise one province at a time, even if you only have one colonist. Once your colonist has arrived at the target province, it can be recalled and sent to another province without waiting for the colony to develop into a fully-fledged city. Colony provinces without an active colonist will grow more slowly or may even shrink depending on your bonuses to colony growth from tech level, ideas, terrain etc. Colonial maintenance also ramps up quickly if you have more developing colonial provinces than colonist agents, so don't go hog wild too early on because it quickly becomes prohibitively expensive.
Yeah, that bit I figured out on my own, but the cost scaling quadratically is too punishing.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, that bit I figured out on my own, but the cost scaling quadratically is too punishing.

Have you remembered to lower the autonomy in provinces you conquer, after coring them? You're losing out on so many ducats if you forget this step.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

THE BAR posted:

Have you remembered to lower the autonomy in provinces you conquer, after coring them? You're losing out on so many ducats if you forget this step.
No? I thought autonomy went down on its own, I don’t even know how to do that. I’ve conquered all of Ireland and Scotland!

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Auronomy does change on its own over time (usually decreasing, unless you're in a really bad spot), but there are buttons on the province panel (or the macrobuilder) you can use to directly decrease/increase it in exchange for more/less unrest for a short time.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
The beauty (majesty) of playing a solo/primitive game is that you can extend your undulating tentacle of friendship or just glass the planet!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Plan R posted:

The beauty (majesty) of playing a solo/primitive game is that you can extend your undulating tentacle of friendship or just glass the planet!

Extended Timeline does get pretty weird in late game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

CapnAndy posted:

No? I thought autonomy went down on its own, I don’t even know how to do that. I’ve conquered all of Ireland and Scotland!

Autonomy decreases very slowly, especially early before you spam up Courthouses and acquire other modifiers so you should generally be decreasing autonomy as often as possible and just dealing with the rebels. It makes the territory instantly give 25% more of its money/soldiers/etc against the baseline rate of 0.1% per month which is itself only during peacetime.

E: Under the top-left drop down menu one of the tabs is a broken chain, if you click it it will give you a view of the autonomy of your provinces and their unrest. To the right of the province names is two buttons, one raises autonomy, the other lowers it and is a much easier way to mass reduce autonomy rather than manually clicking through provinces.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 5, 2021

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

CapnAndy posted:

It does but very slowly. Being at war makes it go down even slower. Early game, specifically, you want to hold off the first rebellion tell coring is finished and then lower autonomy because lowering resets the revolt cooldown.

e: The AI loves to raise autonomy to prevent revolts (at least it did before the recent AI changes). Its one of the reasons they are kinda weak. This also means if you conquer land that an AI took recently you can't lower it and its mostly useless.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 5, 2021

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Finally tried doing an Oirat game the proper way and not taking the mandate and holy poo poo, the stuff you can get up to is absolutely insane, no wonder everyone says it's super broken.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
do tell

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Mongolia is busted too. It's not even 1600 and I've crushed the Oirat, conquered out to Kashgaria, and snapped Ming like a twig, ate Manchuria and part of Korea(Japan formed and ate part of it after Ming died). Now I busy the horde by burning China on a timer. Probably going to turn on Bukharia (those weak coward Uzbeks abandoned the Old Ways). I haven't completed the "Reform Great Yuan" mission because it gives 25 Horde Unity and that's about 20 more Horde Unity than I need.
It even looks like Muscovy ate poo poo somehow. Took Horde and Econ ideas and now have Admin going because these damned Chinese provinces are crazy expensive to core(with claims!) even after I raze them. It'll also help with the governing capacity.

Quick opening tip: you can get Ming to support your independence, but you shouldn't: you should get Uzbek and Chagatai instead. Take Qaraqorum and Ming will probably dec Oirat because they're weak. You do this because the first mission requires you to own and have a core on Qaraqorum while independent, and Ming will hassle you to be a tributary if you're both at peace, and you can't core it before they get pissed off and decide they want to murder you(apparently refusing to be their tributary tanks trust and you need a minimum trust level to volunteer to be their tributary). But that first mission gives you a permanent modifier that gives Horde Unity and Prestige in Qaraqorum, a ton of claims on Oirat, AND bumps you to Kingdom-tier. It makes your early expansion go much more smoothly.

I figure Oirat gets to jump straight into "murder Ming and raze their poo poo".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Do you have images like that for earlier patch? This is fun to read.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

The event that fires when you capture Beijing after capturing the Ming empire just immediately tanks their mandate to 0 and trivializes taking over China. Being able to ping pong between all the culture groups and religions from like, uzbek to tibet and poo poo just means you never run out of steam when conquering and being able to raze everything means you'll just be drowning in MP

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Do you have images like that for earlier patch? This is fun to read.
I dont think they've posted any other road maps, though they do have dev diaries on the Anbennar reddit.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Anbennar:
Decided to try out Count's League for a change instead of one of the Adventurers and christ is Count's League -> Castellyr absolutely wildly powerful.

1563 Escann consolidation. Fastest yet by almost 40 years :shepicide: Almost every non-monstrous territory gain was done through diplo-vassalizing because of the +2 Dip Rel base from Castellyr and +2 Dip Rep -20% Lib Desire from its short tree.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

lamentable dustman posted:

It does but very slowly. Being at war makes it go down even slower. Early game, specifically, you want to hold off the first rebellion tell coring is finished and then lower autonomy because lowering resets the revolt cooldown.

e: The AI loves to raise autonomy to prevent revolts (at least it did before the recent AI changes). Its one of the reasons they are kinda weak. This also means if you conquer land that an AI took recently you can't lower it and its mostly useless.

I saw the opposite happen recently, where an AI lowered autonomy to get some value out of their land but couldn’t handle rebel spawns so the particularist rebels ended up raising autonomy as part of their demands. Eventually the provinces ended up worse than useless because they were at 100% autonomy but still had a ton of unrest because the “lowered autonomy” modifier persisted even through enforced demands.

Probably wouldn’t see it on VH because the AI would have enough troops to prevent it but it was funny to watch on Normal.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish the Ui for dealing with Vampires and Minorities was better in Anbennar. I guess that's the limitation of modding.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Rynoto posted:

Anbennar:
Decided to try out Count's League for a change instead of one of the Adventurers and christ is Count's League -> Castellyr absolutely wildly powerful.

1563 Escann consolidation. Fastest yet by almost 40 years :shepicide: Almost every non-monstrous territory gain was done through diplo-vassalizing because of the +2 Dip Rel base from Castellyr and +2 Dip Rep -20% Lib Desire from its short tree.

Behold! The overpowered advantages of "being a state instead of a bunch of guys with swords" and "having a shred of legitimacy in the eyes of whatever remnant population exists in the region."

That's my favorite Escann start too, it :feelsgood: to take the equivalent of the Despotate of the Morea and singlehandedly reconquer the empire.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wish the Ui for dealing with Vampires and Minorities was better in Anbennar. I guess that's the limitation of modding.

it has actually just received a major update in the bitbucket thing

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

At least vampire thing is in diplomatic actions. The whole magic system done through decision-event unholy amalgam is the worst part of the mod. I'd also wish they'd find a way to show important modifiers in diplomacy view so that you know that this country is ruled by Harpies and uses this or that army type.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

it has actually just received a major update in the bitbucket thing

Nice, should I get the bitbucket thing? I'm playing on steam...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It's kinda uncanny how well this game mimics history. I am now regarding France as mostly an annoyance and getting increasingly pissed off at Spain and Portugal, because they have colonies too and Spain in particular is crowding up against my American borders.

I may still go to war with France, though. I've got this great big new army I'm paying maintenance on, I might as well settle some old scores with 'em. (Also I've been taking over bits of Africa, mostly so my ships have ports on the way to India, which means oh crap I'm exporting slaves now.)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nice, should I get the bitbucket thing? I'm playing on steam...

Yes. Unless you're absolutely terrified of maybe losing a save or playing with some bugs that'll be fixed a day later (or you can fix yourself and submit) then you should just play the latest bitbucket.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I have just now figured out that I should have had a merchant parked in the English Channel to actually collect all my trade money.

Also, good God the sea voyage from England to America is perilous.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

I have just now figured out that I should have had a merchant parked in the English Channel to actually collect all my trade money.

Your home trade node (you can move it for dip points) collects for free so you should already have been collecting from the Channel. Putting a merchant on your home node will very slightly increase your trade power there but hes (almost) always much better off transferring or collecting somewhere else.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
End nodes especially rarely need collectors as you won't be losing any from others pulling it out. Midline nodes that are completely inland are trickier as even with full control of the entire node and all the trade centres it can still be hard unless you're getting into the very high amounts of mercantilism so a collector can be good there. Midlines with coastal nodes are much easier as light ship spam and the better TCs can completely lock down outflow.

Quorum posted:

Behold! The overpowered advantages of "being a state instead of a bunch of guys with swords" and "having a shred of legitimacy in the eyes of whatever remnant population exists in the region."

That's my favorite Escann start too, it :feelsgood: to take the equivalent of the Despotate of the Morea and singlehandedly reconquer the empire.

I ended up with so much Dip Rep, +10 at one point, that I was able to ally every elector in Anbennar at once and destroy the empire in a simple war before the leagues started. The player should never be given so much dip rep.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 6, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rynoto posted:

End nodes especially rarely need collectors as you won't be losing any from others pulling it out. Midline nodes that are completely inland are trickier as even with full control of the entire node and all the trade centres it can still be hard unless you're getting into the very high amounts of mercantilism so a collector can be good there. Midlines with coastal nodes are much easier as light ship spam and the better TCs can completely lock down outflow.

I ended up with so much Dip Rep, +10 at one point, that I was able to ally every elector in Anbennar at once and destroy the empire in a simple war before the leagues started. The player should never be given so much dip rep.

you can also get massive bonuses to diplo rep as Elikhand if you're careful. They get an immortal mummy ruler. He is treated like a lich except that, because he is canonically a nice guy that people like instead of an insane undead monster, he gets a massive bonus to diplo rep to cancel out the massive diplo rep penalty from being a Witch King. Witch King is like - 7, his bonus is like +8. However, unlike every other lich, he is specifically flagged to NOT automatically count as a Witch King, so if you're careful it's possible to pick up that bonus without ever getting the penalty and get truly insane diplo rep. Especially since I think he's also guaranteed to spawn with the +rep ruler trait.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

If your capital is there, you don't? And collecting instead of transferring comes with some real downsides that I can't remember off the top of my head

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

you get a negative modifier in any node you collect from that isnt your home node, so assuming that person has a provnces in english channel you should absolutely set that as your main trading node and capture more provinces to lock down your power share there (and dont waste a merchant collecting there)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got the bitbucket build and drat that's a way better UI for the minorities. Not sure how the vampires work since I went with Ordel of Silver Scepter this time. Apparently I get a Lich Queen!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Got the bitbucket build and drat that's a way better UI for the minorities. Not sure how the vampires work since I went with Ordel of Silver Scepter this time. Apparently I get a Lich Queen!

Yep! Esthil -> Black Demense is incredibly fun and gets the single best CB in the game with the ability to fully conquest any country of any size once you fully reform the circle. Also border gore. So much border gore.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just be sure to not make her a general. Its so powerful to have like 10 siege but it breaks long life/immortality so they will die even after being liched

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ten siege? That's busted as all gently caress

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

She comes back to life though. In fact you have to make her a leader for certain Demense quests. It does reset any spell research in progress when she dies but nbd other than that

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Mr. Grinch posted:

you get a negative modifier in any node you collect from that isnt your home node, so assuming that person has a provnces in english channel you should absolutely set that as your main trading node and capture more provinces to lock down your power share there (and dont waste a merchant collecting there)

More importantly if you collect anywhere apart from your home node you loose Trade Value bonus from steering trade there. However this value is relative so it's only important if you don't have total control over the node. Which you probably don't if you're playing in Europe and are not a pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

oh poo poo you lose steering bonuses globally? i thought it was just to the collecting merchant, drat