Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

On eBay look up the sold price. Not the listed price. I was able to snag my PS4 Pro with 6 games for cheaper than what you listed. I did get it through Craig’s list though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pipebomb posted:

Can you guys help me out? I took some stuff in trade for a computer, and one of the items is a PS4 Pro, Spiderman Edition. It’s a 1tb version, in perfect condition with the boxes, cables, controller, etc.
Approximately what is it worth? I see them from 400-1000 (?) on eBay and 3rd party sites. I am not a gamer and could certainly use cash more. Just trying to get a ballpark idea of its value.

Going off sold auctions I'd say try to get $400-425 for it and drop down to 350 is you need to.

Wow jesus christ I can't believe last gen consoles resale for MSRP in 2021 hellworld lol. In any other timeline, buying a PS4 pro would be like $100 a year after it's predecessor was released. I gave my PS4 pro to my brother for free and I don't think he has used it for more than an hour. Could have just loving covered my PS5 with that thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How easy is selling on eBay? I've heard horror stories of private sellers being scammed, with little recourse because the way eBay is setup favors and protects buyers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never had anything like that happen, but Ebay/paypal takes a size-able chunk of your money, takes way too long to pay out, and it's possible to have to deal with a buyer who's a pain in the rear end. I use it to sell weird high $$$ collectable poo poo that is really hard to sell for a decent price anywhere else, that's really where Ebay shines. Something like a Playstation I'd just unload on Craigslist which is way less of a hassle.

Although if they did sell that Spiderman PS4 on CL I'd say ask less than I recommended. Probably knock $50+ off if you actually want to sell it promptly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Wow jesus christ I can't believe last gen consoles resale for MSRP in 2021 hellworld

My brother bought a PS4 last year for something like €300 second hand, which is more than when I bought mine new in 2015

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I turned my PS4 Pro into a streaming / PS5 remote box in the bedroom but now I'm thinking I should just sell the drat thing. A basic rear end PS4 could do that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Going off sold auctions I'd say try to get $400-425 for it and drop down to 350 is you need to.

Wow jesus christ I can't believe last gen consoles resale for MSRP in 2021 hellworld lol. In any other timeline, buying a PS4 pro would be like $100 a year after it's predecessor was released. I gave my PS4 pro to my brother for free and I don't think he has used it for more than an hour. Could have just loving covered my PS5 with that thing.

I was commenting on this in like 2019, but the PS4 price stability is loving wild. Where the PSX, PS2, and PS3 saw MSRP price drops of up to 60% or more over their lifespan, the PS4 was still selling for 400 bux 7 years in even before COVID hit. Just insane.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I sold my PS4 Pro for $200 off Facebook Marketplace the day after I got my PS5 and thought I was getting a good deal, even after he ripped me off and only had $180 on him. He told me it was for his son and I’ve had too many bad Christmases of my own when I was poor so I was like “gently caress it, it’s more than the guy at GameStop would give me!”

I guess in hindsight I couldn’t have predicted that my 4 year old console would sell for basically what I had paid for it, as I’ve owned a Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Game Cube, PS2, Xbox 360, and a PS3 and none of them sold for even HALF of what I paid for them (although I just gave my GameCube and PS3 to my brother because he and his wife are huge retro gamers), and karmically I just got a $200 SSD for free, so it all comes out in the wash, but yeah, it’s wild. More kids will be opening up PS4s this year than PS5s.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

microsoft are geniuses for selling 300 dollar consoles that nobody wants to buy and having millions of them unsold on store shelves ready for desparate parents at christmas

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s like a funny inverse of the meme where your loving and well meaning grandmother buys you Lee Carvello’s Putting Challenge instead of a good game, except millions of kids will be like “awww it’s an Wait an XBOX!?!!? THATS STILL PRETTY GOOD ACTUALLY *proceeds to melt down appropriately for cool new video game console*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

microsoft are geniuses for selling 300 dollar consoles that nobody wants to buy and having millions of them unsold on store shelves ready for desparate parents at christmas

The #1 choice of Cheap Dads everywhere.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the series s doesn't seem that bad.

i guess the storage really sucks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

365GB :captainpop:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah and your only option for more space are MS's proprietary BS expansion cards. they're like twice as expensive as ps5 nvmes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can plug in any USB hard drive and play Xbox One/360/OG games from those and just cycle the very few actual Series exclusive games there is on and off an external. The transfer speeds are pretty quick tbh.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Or just buy another Series S and keep your 360 games on there #bigbrainedthoughts

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

iirc, they're pretty slow on ps5 (transfer speeds)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Or just buy another Series S and keep your 360 games on there #bigbrainedthoughts

no disk drive, total wasteman console :(

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I transferred like 500GB from my PS5 internal memory to my new SSD in less than 10 minutes, if that’s not fast enough then who cares

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I transferred like 500GB from my PS5 internal memory to my new SSD in less than 10 minutes, if that’s not fast enough then who cares

Wow look at Mr. Snail over here

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'd consider getting an S mostly for backcompat but having no disc drive is beans

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'd consider getting an S mostly for backcompat but having no disc drive is beans

It stinks yeah. It's such a cool little console but no disk drive is a killer. It's interesting seeing the 2nd hand prices of PS5s here, the disk drive version is going for €845 (!!!) whereas the diskless is going for €390, less than retail

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m jus sayin it takes longer to mount the heat sink and install//format the drive than it does to transfer a full PS5 worth of games to the SSD. If that’s “slow” than the Xbox must wirelessly transfer the games to your SSD before u install it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It stinks yeah. It's such a cool little console but no disk drive is a killer. It's interesting seeing the 2nd hand prices of PS5s here, the disk drive version is going for €845 (!!!) whereas the diskless is going for €390, less than retail

quite the contrast with the US were they're equally scalped

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m jus sayin it takes longer to mount the heat sink and install//format the drive than it does to transfer a full PS5 worth of games to the SSD. If that’s “slow” than the Xbox must wirelessly transfer the games to your SSD before u install it.

no one was talking about nvme to nvme transfers

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

My brother bought a PS4 last year for something like €300 second hand, which is more than when I bought mine new in 2015

We got ours for like $100 off Facebook Marketplace and it came with a ridiculous amount of games, most with the GameStop receipts still in the cases. Dude was even nice enough to give us his PS account password so we could unlock the thing since he forgot to :v:

Just off the top of my head:

- Horizon: Zero Dawn played, made me cry
- Uncharted Trilogy on the list
- Uncharted Lost Whatever on the list
- Destiny seems pointless now
- Destiny 2 seems pointless now
- Titanfall 2 on the list
- Overwatch pointless now
- CoD: Advanced Warfare played, did not finish but enjoyable
- CoD: Modern Warfare on the list
- Mirror's Edge: Catalyst on the list
- Spider-Man played, made me cry
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 doesn't seem it'll be able to hold a candle to Insomniac Spidey

and I don't even think that's all of them.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 6, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I may get a Series S for emulation (retroarch, no CFW needed), Forza Horizon and back compat. More than enough value.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I was commenting on this in like 2019, but the PS4 price stability is loving wild. Where the PSX, PS2, and PS3 saw MSRP price drops of up to 60% or more over their lifespan, the PS4 was still selling for 400 bux 7 years in even before COVID hit. Just insane.

I guess PS5's only being released in a Schrodinger's reality so far is probably why the price of PS4s hasn't done a bitcoin dive yet.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's all part of the story where gaming hardware in general is in higher than usual demand and supply constrained for a variety of reasons. A used Switch holds its value pretty well right now too. Even an Xbone S goes for at least $120 on ebay. People are selling their years-old GPUs for the price they paid to buy it new.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Guillermus posted:

I may get a Series S for emulation (retroarch, no CFW needed), Forza Horizon and back compat. More than enough value.

I thought about buying a Series S for Retroarch but Steam straight up has it in the store now with DLC cores for whatever console you're trying to emulate, without having to pay an extra tenbux to MS for the right to install it. So I'm gonna get a Steam Deck instead whichll still let me play whatever fringe MS Studios game I'd want and still have a dock for TV or carry with me for on the go emulation.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

It's all part of the story where gaming hardware in general is in higher than usual demand and supply constrained for a variety of reasons. A used Switch holds its value pretty well right now too. Even an Xbone S goes for at least $120 on ebay. People are selling their years-old GPUs for the price they paid to buy it new.

Supply wasn't constrained in late 2019 and early 2020 when PS4 was still 400 bux, 6+ years after its release

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Supply wasn't constrained in late 2019 and early 2020 when PS4 was still 400 bux, 6+ years after its release

Conditions have changed, the reasons a PS4 holds its value now aren't the same as the reasons a PS4 held its value a couple years ago. It's exceptional that its price held up after the PS5 launched, and that's a different kind of exception from holding its value when it was the latest available generation of hardware. Part of the reason is PS5 scarcity, but it's really because of the general gaming supply/demand crunch that has pushed people into picking up whatever they can get their hands on. The PS5 didn't sell poorly, it did good launch numbers. I'm sure a glut of used PS4s hit the market as a result, but there was a ton of demand waiting to snap them up, so used prices didn't crater.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 6, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I thought about buying a Series S for Retroarch but Steam straight up has it in the store now with DLC cores for whatever console you're trying to emulate, without having to pay an extra tenbux to MS for the right to install it. So I'm gonna get a Steam Deck instead whichll still let me play whatever fringe MS Studios game I'd want and still have a dock for TV or carry with me for on the go emulation.

I currently live between my flat and my fiancee's so having a small console that is easy to carry is a plus. Looking at how things are going, the Series S has great value right now.

Holy poo poo, let me get a PS5 soon or I'll end with another Xbox.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Sooo, I put it on FB Marketplace as OBO and sold it for $600 within hours - no haggling…dude offered, I said yes and a half hour later it was gone. 👍

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Grats on your NIB PS3.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pipebomb posted:

Sooo, I put it on FB Marketplace as OBO and sold it for $600 within hours - no haggling…dude offered, I said yes and a half hour later it was gone. 👍

That's loving wild lol. That exact edition is like $400 or less on Ebay. Congrats.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
people love spidey

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

spider-man is a cop

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh here we go

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

spider-man is a cop

only some spideys in some universes but not uhhhh all universes uhhh. toby spider-man isnt a cop! but yuri spider-man is a loving cop and his new face is a cop too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

that's right bitch