Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

:[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks I hate it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
One thing I'm getting from this is very much in the mindset that a lot of comics and fan works had in the 90s after Watchmen's success. That is, "Stores that are for mature adults have to have violence and swearing and sex. If it doesn't have those things, it's for kids, and therefore without merit." DD had a lot of violence and of course swearing, but Mookie preferred not to have (explicit) nudity and left most of the sex stuff to gags or even just description, rather than being shown. I don't think he thinks DD is for kids, but it's clear he thinks that it's less mature than other stuff due to its lack of explicit sex and nudity, and that's why he "had" to do what he's doing now.

And the sign that's this is true is because there's no real reason for the sex and nudity to exist other than for their own sake, just to say "This is a mature story for mature adults such as myself." In Watchmen, the sex and nudity served narrative and exposition purposes. Dr. Manhattan walks around with his blue dong hanging out because his mind is becoming more alien and enlightened than a regular person's. He just simply doesn't care about covering himself because that's something that only humans care about. He still covers himself in public because he's aware that it's required by the rules of society, but otherwise why would he give a poo poo? And Legacy almost had this! Snout is a mongrelman living the life of a hermit and has no real reason to care about wearing clothes or covering his nudity. He'd wear clothes to the library because he's got enough intelligence to realize "I gotta wear clothes in public" but otherwise he shouldn't care (unless he's cold). But he just kind of wears clothes all the time anyway, only showing he doesn't really care when he's sleeping or bathing. Still, it at least makes sense he wouldn't be as concerned with covering himself as a normal person would be.

Then Ink Witch shows up and that just goes out the window. Ink Witch lives in a coven and unless it's a nudist or weird sex cult (which it probably isn't, but who knows), she's a member of society and realizes that nudity is kind of frowned upon. Yet she still has no problem just stripping down in front of Snout for naked cuddles. In a better written comic, this could be a sign she doesn't consider Snout to fully be a person, but something less, like how some people have no problems undressing around their pets. This isn't the case though, so Ink Witch is just quick to strip for no reason except "This is a mature story for mature adults such as myself, and therefore I have to show boobs." The nudity doesn't serve any narrative or exposition, it just exists to be nudity to show the comic is mature.

This sex scene is the same because there's zero loving reason for it to exist. There's other situations that have come up in the comic where a sex scene would even have made some amount of sense. Like when Snout is reunited with Arudak and Ink Witch. Maybe Ink Witch realized she has feelings for Snout in the day and a half he was gone and decided to show him that. Maybe she isn't sure how she feels about Snout but figures hey, let's explore a bit and see how things go. I'm being charitable in that it would still sort of come out of nowhere and be weird, but it'd be a sex scene with a character Snout has interacted with and at least they have obvious positive feelings towards each other. It could at least be a little justified. It's certainly better than "Hi, I'm a character you've never met who's here to make your friends sad, now let's gently caress."

And even that could have been a little justified if it was some sort of test like some people thought, like "I tested you to see if you really care about your friends like you claim, and you abandoned your thoughts of them the second you had the chance to get your dick wet, you failed." But no, the sex scene just exists, because Mookie said "I want to put a sex scene in this comic." "The sex is the point" as someone else pointed out from his blog. While he does say in that blog post that there's going to be another point to the sex scene, it's just going to be bullshit post-justification stuff, because there's literally no other reason for Snout to get whatever revelation he gets from this from some other source. Like just some sort of vision, or revelation from a book or ancient text. Meanwhile to go back to Watchment, the sex scenes between Dan and Laurie served a point, that they were exploring their feelings for each other after Dr. Manhattan had left for Mars, and also served to show the changes in Dan's mental state after they try to have sex at first and he fails to get it up, and succeeds later. There's nothing like that for this situation as Snout and the bog witch are complete loving strangers, and Snout didn't even show any interest in her despite her being naked when they first met.

Anyway I know I'm not treading any new ground with this post, really, but I still felt like I needed to get it out because part of why this poo poo is so poorly written is Mookie is to a large extent doing poo poo just because he feels he "needs" to without any regard for how much sense it makes or how it would improve the story. It just exists for the sake of existing. On one last note, I would like to say that I really loving hope Snout does not have sex with corpselady, that would be extremely gross. Him having sex with Ink Witch I wouldn't mind, hell in some ways it'd actually make some sense, but not with the woman that he was kind of almost a father-like figure to (at least for a couple of days).

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I just dont loving understand his reasoning behind him and the witch not hooking up and waiting for this abominable swamp hag. What prevented Mookie from having something happen before between IW and Snout, why is he suddenly making horny for a new off putting character after establishing TWO emotionally intimate relationships for his little ingenue mutant.

What is the thought process that brought us to this terrible threshold

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

What is the thought process that brought us to this

This is the eternal question.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

What is the thought process that brought us to this terrible threshold

Which days Mookie was sexually frustrated

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I just dont loving understand his reasoning behind him and the witch not hooking up and waiting for this abominable swamp hag.

This is what absolutely baffles me. Why the gently caress is Snout having sex with this woman he showed no attraction to and knew for a grand total of five minutes? If he wants Snout to gently caress, Ink Witch is right there. And maybe he's trying to pull some "Oh, well but they're good friends, and don't feel that way about each other" or some poo poo, which hey, that's fine. Not every man and woman in a story need to have romantic attraction to each other. But then if you're going to do that, just don't have a loving sex scene!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I really hate that

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is what absolutely baffles me. Why the gently caress is Snout having sex with this woman he showed no attraction to and knew for a grand total of five minutes? If he wants Snout to gently caress, Ink Witch is right there. And maybe he's trying to pull some "Oh, well but they're good friends, and don't feel that way about each other" or some poo poo, which hey, that's fine. Not every man and woman in a story need to have romantic attraction to each other. But then if you're going to do that, just don't have a loving sex scene!

I'm guessing Mookie's not really over his sexual hangups from Dominic Deegan times, much as he'd like to pretend otherwise. So the established female characters can't have sex, because that would make them sluts. Kind of makes me wonder if that was the reason he added Corpse Wife to the mix - Ink Witch was clearly establish as Snout's love interest, but he couldn't bring himself to draw a sex scene with her, so enter new love interest Corpse Bride. Same thing happens, enter Swamp Witch, and this time he rushed the sex scene, so it wouldn't happen again.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Maybe it's because on some level mookie figures that he's created a character that is operating on a level less than most human beings in the setting, so he gave Snout a fellow monster to gently caress.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Breetai posted:

Maybe it's because on some level mookie figures that he's created a character that is operating on a level less than most human beings in the setting, so he gave Snout a fellow monster to gently caress.
But orcs aren't monsters.

And I mean a bunch of people are describing her as an "abominable swamp hag" or whatever, but I don't think that's how Mookie's trying to present her. She's presented as more or less as physically attractive as literally every other woman in the comic. When Mookie's trying to convey that someone's physically gross, it's usually completely over the top...like Jack Chick pamphlet over the top. Like back in Mongreltown when we meet the guy who runs the bookshop who can't keep his pants up, we get all kinds of cues that we're not supposed to like him...in addition to being drawn almost in a different style (because the generic anime cuteness of the rest of the characters doesn't work on somebody we're meant to dislike) he has unpleasant mannerisms, there are spelling errors (he runs a bookshop but apparently can't spell "book") and so on.

There's nothing like that for the chandak lady.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SubG posted:

And I mean a bunch of people are describing her as an "abominable swamp hag" or whatever, but I don't think that's how Mookie's trying to present her. She's presented as more or less as physically attractive as literally every other woman in the comic. When Mookie's trying to convey that someone's physically gross, it's usually completely over the top...like Jack Chick pamphlet over the top. Like back in Mongreltown when we meet the guy who runs the bookshop who can't keep his pants up, we get all kinds of cues that we're not supposed to like him...in addition to being drawn almost in a different style (because the generic anime cuteness of the rest of the characters doesn't work on somebody we're meant to dislike) he has unpleasant mannerisms, there are spelling errors (he runs a bookshop but apparently can't spell "book") and so on.

You forgotten the vomit magic?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Midnight Voyager posted:

You forgotten the vomit magic?
That comes across as Mookie just trying to be clever, and it's clearly supposed to just be water. Later in the same scene she accomplishes the same thing (writing in Snout's notebook) by just indistinctly waving her fingers over the pages while a couple droplets fly off the pages, so I think it's supposed to be coded as a big dramatic reveal or something (is she destroying Snout's precious journal? oh, no she's just writing in it). Snout certainly doesn't react to the physical result of it the way he would if he was treating it as inherently gross or something, he just handles the notebook normally.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I don't think Mookie considers the bog witch to be as repulsive as we do. Corpsemom is more of a "monster" than her in story and design terms. What's gross about her is her stumpy fangs (which Mookie is into, see Luna) and how she's been splashing around naked all day in a lake and that's not really someone you should have sex with on a whim (which I doubt Mookie gave a moment's thought about).

Whatever the reason, Mookie (seemingly) set up two love interests for Snout, and chickened out on Snout having sex with either, in favor of a completely random third person. It's weird as hell and I don't know what he intends this to say about Snout as a character, if anything.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 6, 2021

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
If Snout seemed even kind of interested in sex before this point it wouldn't have been so gratuitous, but his interactions have been very pointedly non-sexual even in situations that most people would consider sexually charged, like cuddling while naked. There's been nothing indicating more than platonic interest any of his companions, and if The Sex Is The Point as Mookie really says it is, it'd have made a lot more sense for Snout to hook up with someone he actually likes than to only spring for the lake witch he was mad at just five seconds ago. (Unless the lesson to be taken here is that angry and horny have their wires crossed with Snout, which... I suppose would give his character more dimension than it currently has.)

Hell, any sense that he was up for hookups before now could've avoided the entire mess with Ink Witch: Instead of her sleepwalking nude into his bed, she just outright asks Snout if they wanna bang and they do. He wakes up still waxing poetic about how nice it is to wake up cuddling someone. Maybe at some point he tells her he had a nice dream about them together, and she goes "wait, you dreamed about it too? Oh crap I think my magic is leaking, I'm really sorry about that" and then Snout gets to respond to that on his own terms. There, it took three minutes max to brainstorm something that would both make casual sex in-character for Snout and removes a lot of the creep factor from Ink Witch.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I wonder if the reason Mookie hasn't had Snout have sex with IW or Kaianda is because they're main characters while orc lady isn't.

Because the thing is, the character relationships in this comic suck, I have no idea why any of them are together.
Almost all the dialogue is exposition, we pretty much never see them interact with each other.
So if Snout had sex with one of them, Mookie might actually have to write a relationship of some kind.

But with her, he can get his sex scene, throw some symbols in after to act like it had a plot purpose, and then never revisit this character again.
Which means he can go back to writing his comfy challenge free group where nothing needs to be resolved beyond someone patting Snout on the head and calling him a good boy, or Snout stomping his feet because mom and dad had a fight.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

SubG posted:

She's frolicking naked in the water literally a hundred feet from the docks of a fishing city with no waste or water treatment.

Her puss/hair/skin would be absolutely rancid with poo poo/fish guts/piss/garbage/etc.

I would argue that Mookie had no object permanence, so he does not realize this, but she's loving gross.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah I don't think Mookie considers the bog witch to be as repulsive as we do. Corpsemom is more of a "monster" than her in story and design terms. What's gross about her is her stumpy fangs (which Mookie is into, see Luna) and how she's been splashing around naked all day in a lake and that's not really someone you should have sex with on a whim (which I doubt Mookie gave a moment's thought about).

Whatever the reason, Mookie (seemingly) set up two love interests for Snout, and chickened out on Snout having sex with either, in favor of a completely random third person. It's weird as hell and I don't know what he intends this to say about Snout as a character, if anything.
She's also when not nude covered in what Mookie doesn't seem to realize is like, gross decaying plant matter.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Mookie has never swum in a natural body of water

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah I don't think Mookie considers the bog witch to be as repulsive as we do. Corpsemom is more of a "monster" than her in story and design terms.
And Snout! His design is mostly things that would normally be coded as gross or unpleasant--like whatever that is on his shoulders--and he literally just underwent some kind of strange metamorphosis. But he's actively coded as being sweet and innocent and likeable. Which in a better comic we might be lead to interpret as a deliberate comment on physical attractiveness versus underlying character or something, but one of the things that Mookie's done that seems to preclude this interpretation is that he's deliberately made Snout less monstrous as the comic progresses: his eyes have gotten bigger and rounder, his nose less pronounced, and just in general he's undergone design changes that look like something cribbed from a discussion of neoteny in e.g. Disney characters. His original design was also just bigger and bulkier, so his current more gracile build is just less physically imposing than his appearance in the first strips of Legacy.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I would argue that Mookie had no object permanence, so he does not realize this, but she's loving gross.
Yeah, and Snout's an selfish, mopey creep. My point is that while we can apply those value judgements to the characters and their actions, I really don't think that's what the comic is trying to do. Breetai suggested that maybe unnamed chandak lady was the one that Snout decided to hook up with because, more or less, Mookie was trying to create a Bride for his Frankenstein('s monster). And I don't think that's what's going on, because I don't think he sees either Snout or the chandak as monstrous. If anything, Snout's ~*special*~. It's like an over-the-top version of anime heterochromia.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

SubG posted:

just in general he's undergone design changes that look like something cribbed from a discussion of neoteny in e.g. Disney characters.

Stephen Jay Gould wrote an interesting paper on the evolution of Mickey Mouse's design, from that perspective: https://faculty.uca.edu/benw/biol4415/papers/Mickey.pdf

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Cloacamazing! posted:

I'm guessing Mookie's not really over his sexual hangups from Dominic Deegan times, much as he'd like to pretend otherwise. So the established female characters can't have sex, because that would make them sluts. Kind of makes me wonder if that was the reason he added Corpse Wife to the mix - Ink Witch was clearly establish as Snout's love interest, but he couldn't bring himself to draw a sex scene with her, so enter new love interest Corpse Bride. Same thing happens, enter Swamp Witch, and this time he rushed the sex scene, so it wouldn't happen again.

This is is isn't it. God drat it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I kind of, almost, maybe suspect all this might lead to something? I won't say that it will be super substantial or anything, but maybe it might push some character development? Maybe?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Somehow Snout saying "hosed" is almost as disconcerting as him doing it.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Lol, Snout sucks so bad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I loving refuse to believe that Snout just goes out and fucks a random woman every time he gets horny.

There was never any indication that Snout ever gets horny before this. He has seen multiple women naked and not shown the slightest bit of interest.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

This happens every time I get horny, which has apparently been... once

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol

So naked cuddling with the other two women has never gotten him horny

And apparently when he gets horny he can't control himself and just has to go to town

Also saying "I hosed" is so completely out of character for him. He's never cursed before, right? Like before this whole sex thing, he was treated like a child who didn't curse and either wasn't interested in sex, or didn't know what it is.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I loving refuse to believe that Snout just goes out and fucks a random woman every time he gets horny.

There was never any indication that Snout ever gets horny before this. He has seen multiple women naked and not shown the slightest bit of interest.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If that wasn't Snout's first time who the gently caress did he, well, gently caress before? Were there a bunch of hot mongrelfolks out at the Wild Edge?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Codependent Poster posted:

Also saying "I hosed" is so completely out of character for him. He's never cursed before, right? Like before this whole sex thing, he was treated like a child who didn't curse and either wasn't interested in sex, or didn't know what it is.
This is so jarring to me; while I don't read Snout in a child voice I don't necessarily read him in an adult voice either so this is all making me :catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

For this character to go from "turns out I like hugs :buddy: " to...this, it's loving me up a bit.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Lmao

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

When your side hustle of drawing satyr dicks becomes your main gig.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wait, that's not an edit?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I think the technical term is "retcon".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha I forgot that he just not long ago wrote that he likes hugs and cuddling. Now apparently he is a gently caress machine who just can't help himself when he's horny

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
snout "slave to his penis" mongrelman

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
I love this comic so much

It is so, so bad

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Ok but those horn bumps werent there before and his shoulder bumps started out as little pea-sized scales before mookie got too lazy to keep drawing them that way, so does he have some kind of heat cycle where his bumps/horns bust out and then shrink away again or what? Maybe he only fucks once a year like a deer

Also the resizing of parts of the art is super obvious here because some lines are hazy right next to crisp lines

also, penis is pathetic (worse than usual)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I know I'm a broken record here, but holy poo poo this whole trip has just been about how terrible Snout is.