Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A new Simpsons gif where president Xi cackles while mashes a big red button and the sign for the "CCP" flips over to reveal "CCP" and a bunch of dancing dragon parade floats toss off their guises to reveal smaller dancing dragon parade floats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.opencourt-basketball.com/shaquille-oneal-defends-lebron-jordan-i-dont-give-a-sht-what-he-enes-kanter-changed-his-name-to/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Is that what is said in the link? All the pop ups hid the actual article.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Kanter went at Turkey and Turkish president Erdogan, he went at China and its president Xi Jinping, and most recently, Kanter took a swipe at LeBron James for failing to speak up on matters involving Nike and China, and called out Michael Jordan for being absent in helping the Black community.

Shaquille O’Neal though, who already didn’t like what Scottie Pippen had to say (and write) about Michael Jordan, now went at Enes Kanter for his LeBron and Jordan statements.

On his The Big Podcast Shaquille revealed what he felt of Enes Kanter’s name change. That’s also when he lost his cool, while going at Kanter for shading LeBron James and Michael Jordan:

“I don’t know his name, I’m not memorizing his name and I don’t give a sh*t what he changed his name to.”

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
king poo poo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

A new Simpsons gif where president Xi cackles while mashes a big red button and the sign for the "CCP" flips over to reveal "CCP" and a bunch of dancing dragon parade floats toss off their guises to reveal smaller dancing dragon parade floats.

Mao literally rising from the grave and frankensteining his way towards Capital's destruction while two western leftoids stand nearby and obliviously declare China to be the real imperialism that the US needs to contain.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

interesting takes on that site

https://www.opencourt-basketball.com/kevin-durant-signing-with-golden-state-would-hurt-the-warriors/

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Isn't Kanter Freedom a Gulenist? :thunk:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Horseshoe theory posted:

Isn't Kanter Freedom a Gulenist? :thunk:

He’s a clown

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mr Hootington posted:

Is that what is said in the link? All the pop ups hid the actual article.

Don’t know didn’t read beyond headline

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lmfao. if i had published that i would want it nuked off the internet forever by now

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Paladinus posted:

So, anyway, do you guys ever think about moving to China? Genuine question, as I keep thinking from time to time about moving somewhere myself.

most people who move to China burn out on it and end up leaving. It's a very tedious place to be a foreigner (maybe thats everywhere though idk). If you're foreign and especially if you're white there's a lot of privilege and China is changing fast so you can definitely chase your dreams there because there's a lot of opportunities, but you will wonder if you get opportunities because of the privilege not because you're deserving. USA I would not want to be a foreigner unless French, English or maybe Italian.

But I really miss my friends in China and I think day to day life is way better than USA. I feel like it's easy to get a friend circle that's more like a family in China or Taiwan, and there's always stuff to go out and do and food to eat etc. I never had friends in the west that really fought like family would to help me achieve things or do thoughtful things for me.

Also if you're accustomed to American business culture well there's definitely a culture shock there too depending on your field

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Watching ideology smashing right up against investor interests is crazy as hell.

What is the "truth about Covid" he's whining about anyway?

It's absolutely just the generic cloud of lab leak/coverup/chinavirus conspiracy whining that it's lol how many liberals are eagerly falling for now that russiagate isn't cool anymore

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's absolutely just the generic cloud of lab leak/coverup/chinavirus conspiracy whining that it's lol how many liberals are eagerly falling for now that russiagate isn't cool anymore

They gonna blame the Chinese for their elections losses.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I’ve heard that academia in China is a pretty good place to work as a foreigner, would be interested if knowing the trends in the US of offloading as much work as possible to adjuncts to cut costs on faculty is something that’s happening there, too. heard that the Chinese govt puts money into basic research in a way that the us hasn’t since the Cold War so grants and the like are supposedly a lot easier to get ahold of

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

broke: vote

woke:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1467696843329253378

dont vote

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Blizzard really needs to shut down the WarSong Julch

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Antonymous posted:

most people who move to China burn out on it and end up leaving. It's a very tedious place to be a foreigner (maybe thats everywhere though idk).

it is i can tell you from experience that if youre bad at making friends where you are a foreign country isnt going to be any better unless youre willing to lean in hard on white privilege

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Heard in the radio the US is gonna protest the Beijing winter Olympics by... Sending their athletes to compete, angrily

Even my car almost died laughing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Antonymous posted:

most people who move to China burn out on it and end up leaving. It's a very tedious place to be a foreigner (maybe thats everywhere though idk). If you're foreign and especially if you're white there's a lot of privilege and China is changing fast so you can definitely chase your dreams there because there's a lot of opportunities, but you will wonder if you get opportunities because of the privilege not because you're deserving. USA I would not want to be a foreigner unless French, English or maybe Italian.

But I really miss my friends in China and I think day to day life is way better than USA. I feel like it's easy to get a friend circle that's more like a family in China or Taiwan, and there's always stuff to go out and do and food to eat etc. I never had friends in the west that really fought like family would to help me achieve things or do thoughtful things for me.

Also if you're accustomed to American business culture well there's definitely a culture shock there too depending on your field

ive lived in china for almost 12 years now and i am kinda scared at the thought of ever moving back to america. i don’t really get why it’s “tedious” as a foreigner but you’re right that a lot of people burn out and leave. in my experience the people that burn out and leave are largely the same people that don’t make any local friends and try to live exclusively in an expat bubble

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Antonymous posted:

Typical break-points are:
~6 months (total incompatibility, run for the airport)
12 months (incompatible, but not so much that they didn't finish their contract)
2 years (came for an experience, got it)
~4 years (came for career experience, got it)

After that, people tend to be 'indefinite', sticking around as long as nothing pushes or pulls them away.

A big issue for many is the "standard minority experience" of having no choice but to work with a system that really wasn't designed for you in important ways. People who aren't already used to being a minority can react quite badly to that.
For example, until recently a lot of essential or very important government and large-corporate services in China didn't have support for passports/non-national-ID, or names longer than 4 characters, or both.

It's possible to wonder how much success is due to privilege and how much is due to ability, but that same tension between external/internal factors will be present and not conclusively resolvable anywhere you go, so no sense in making decisions based on that.

And yes, once you get over the clichés (and people who are only interested in the clichés), it is possible to make some very solid friends.

Right now, things are a bit questionable because of covid and increasing nationalism.
It could be argued that both of these are concerns in large part because of countries that aren't China, but that doesn't change the fact that they will be challenges. It might be worth waiting a year or two rather than trying to push through right now.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Paladinus posted:

So, anyway, do you guys ever think about moving to China? Genuine question, as I keep thinking from time to time about moving somewhere myself.

I think about sometimes, since it seems to be the only place you can live relatively free of covid. Of course, there are tons of factors in my life right now which makes it impractical.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atopian posted:

For example, until recently a lot of essential or very important government and large-corporate services in China didn't have support for passports/non-national-ID, or names longer than 4 characters, or both.

thinking about all the ridiculous problems i had in south korea because my name was too long to fit on most forms and also had a hyphen in it which most other forms wouldnt even recognize i think at some point they flagged me as a suspicious character just because i wasnt leaving much of a paper trail which is quite easy to do just by accident when the immigration office makes it a pain in the rear end and a half to report in even if you do have access to that stuff

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MPhillipsWSJ/status/1467558955794771970

claiming the western coast of sub-Saharan Africa as being "opposite the US East Coast" seems a bit of a stretch :thunk:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
"classified american intelligence"

strange way to spell load of bull

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/MPhillipsWSJ/status/1467558955794771970

claiming the western coast of sub-Saharan Africa as being "opposite the US East Coast" seems a bit of a stretch :thunk:

I mean by this logic the literal coast of China is "opposite the US West Coast" and presumably already has Chinese warships rearming and refitting. Unless there's some special rule that the international date line nullifies all military action and not just the F35.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/f_bartoloni/status/1467553500963950593?s=20

The perfidious Chinese

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lol "they must be hiding thousands of bodies. no one can use social policies to prevent disease that IS IMPOSSIBLE"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

is there a more useless publication than the economist

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

The Economist is really good for being a gauge of bourgeois opinion.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the economist sucks so much that even post season 10 simpsons managed to ether it’s existence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGYN1ro9Dv4

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm the -160k deaths low end of the estimate

It's all just numbers some lovely algorithm puts out rather than someone sitting down and looking at each country. You'd think "China resurrected 160k people with COVID" would be a big red flag about the validity of the analysis though.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...sedgdhp&pc=U531

Sanction India, come on, do it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Why is India throwing in with a washed up and suicidal rump state?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/DSakaliene/status/1467506805173813251

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1467524542272843785

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Enes is going to become a much more influential figure than Xi Lover Lebroke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Minority of a minority uyghur separatists want an independent state? USA libs froth at the mouth and demand it happens or war with China.

Majority of a majority ethnic Russians want eastern Ukraine to be part of Russia? USA Libs froth at the mouth and demand war with Russia to protect Ukraine territory.