Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

What's the best switch era Pokemon game

SMT5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Google Butt posted:

Siralim 3 :getin:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ragequit posted:

I love everyone in this thread, both digital and physical game-havers alike.

That said, I recommend going physical if you have kids/multiple players. If you ever make the jump to a second Switch, you’ll want physical games because the non-primary switch can only use the primary profile to play downloaded games. So on the second Switch my kids have to use my profile to play any downloaded games. They only use it for Smash so it isn’t a big deal, but physical allows them to use their own profile and cloud save data across both devices.

Counterpoint, sort of: if you have one switch and kids, I strongly recommend going digital. It's WAY easier and safer for your system for your kids to switch games via the menu than risk them switching it out themselves, or bugging you to do it all the time.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thank You

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Google Butt posted:

Snap 2, which is still just mediocre

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Counterpoint, sort of: if you have one switch and kids, I strongly recommend going digital. It's WAY easier and safer for your system for your kids to switch games via the menu than risk them switching it out themselves, or bugging you to do it all the time.

:eng101:
physical switch games are coated in a special chemical that makes them taste bitter and discourages them from being eaten

there is no such protection for digital games

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

DLC though works like digital purchases so if you actually want to use DLC on more than one profile you need to purchase the DLC again on a secondary account (that's primary on the second switch).

It's almost the worst of both physical/digital worlds.

Haven’t run in to this, but it’s good to know. I only bought DLC for Animal Crossing and it hasn’t been an issue so far.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rutibex posted:

:eng101:
physical switch games are coated in a special chemical that makes them taste bitter and discourages them from being eaten

there is no such protection for digital games

Well, ya got me there....

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Google Butt posted:

Astral Chain, because it's the most honest about what your slave pets are doing to each other.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mister Facetious posted:

Astral Chain, because it's the most honest about what your slave pets are doing to each other.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Don't know if this was already posted, I didn't see it in my quick lookie loo but SMTV is almost half off at Gamestop unless there's something I'm missing.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch/products/shin-megami-tensei-v-steelbook-launch-edition----nintendo-switch/299575.html

I picked this up today just off the sheer strength of it being on such a massive sale. I wn the game digitally already, have yet to play it, and somehow now have the steel box physical version despite not even knowing if I'll truly like the game.

Google Butt posted:

I genuinely enjoy Sword and Shield so far. I got out of playing every Pokemon game sometime after Diamond and Pearl's original releases. The remakes made me actually go back to Sword and I really love the new UI enhancement, the semi-open-but-not-really world, and the twists it has on the typical Pokemon story. It's nothing groundbreaking there, but it seems like a decent stepping stone from the past into the future of the series. A lot of the critique online is built around how linear the world and plot are, but then also how a ton of Pokemon just aren't in the game at all - like ou can't pot them in from Pokemon Home or anything like that.

I enjoy it though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Can you reread our conversation because you aren't answering any points that were raised in it

Is the contention that an SF30 isn't a proper switch controller? Genuinely confused

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm in the market for a grip. I see Satisfye mentioned quite a lot in here, how do the Hori Splitpad and the Skull & Co Gripcase compare to it?

It would be for my OLED, so I guess the Satisfye would be a pre-order.

I tend to play tabletop more than handheld currently because they Joy-Cons made my hands go numb when I play handheld. I just bring my SN30 Pro 2 with me, but I'd like to be able to play handheld comfortably.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Is the contention that an SF30 isn't a proper switch controller? Genuinely confused
OP was asking whether to use one of the USB controller dongles (specifically the 8BitDo one) to use their existing XBox controller with the Switch or if they should get a dedicated Switch controller, not if the 8BitDo controllers had rumble or gyro. And Butterfly Valley's response is "the dongles are good for what they are, but you probably want a dedicated Switch controller". Neither was asserting or questioning the fact that an SN30/SF30 or a Pro 2 have rumble or gyro.

Devorum posted:

I'm in the market for a grip. I see Satisfye mentioned quite a lot in here, how do the Hori Splitpad and the Skull & Co Gripcase compare to it?

I tend to play tabletop more than handheld currently because they Joy-Cons made my hands go numb when I play handheld. I just bring my SN30 Pro 2 with me, but I'd like to be able to play handheld comfortably.
Satisfye has the advantage of allowing you to use the joycons, which means you keep rumble, gyro, and NFC for Amiibos and poo poo. The Hori Split Pad Pro has the advantage of not being the joycons and thus being less prone to drift and having an actual D-Pad; it also has turbo and programmable back paddle buttons, if you care about that. I don't have the Satisfye grip, but I can personally attest that the SPP is more comfortable than the base unit, though you'll need to either get a carrying case specifically to hold the Switch with the SPP attached or get a holder specifically for the SPP. I did the former.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 6, 2021

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
theres one thing you never read about the 8bitdo adapter: theres no way for it to tell you when your controllers battery is running low, so the way youll notice is with random disconnects, dropped inputs and weird laggy behavior. its not the end of the world but still manages to piss me off every time

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

im gonna go ahead and it say, there are too many games to choose from!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Google Butt posted:

Snap

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Google Butt posted:

im gonna go ahead and it say, there are too many games to choose from!!!
Look harder, the Switch has no games and Nintendo is doomed. You may be fooled by all the games, but they're not real games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh no. I just opened up some of my switch game cases and nothing but dust and ash fell out. I've been living a lie.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

Look harder, the Switch has no games and Nintendo is doomed. You may be fooled by all the games, but they're not real games.

youre right.. it's jrpgs all the way down

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

I genuinely enjoy Sword and Shield so far. I got out of playing every Pokemon game sometime after Diamond and Pearl's original releases. The remakes made me actually go back to Sword and I really love the new UI enhancement, the semi-open-but-not-really world, and the twists it has on the typical Pokemon story. It's nothing groundbreaking there, but it seems like a decent stepping stone from the past into the future of the series. A lot of the critique online is built around how linear the world and plot are, but then also how a ton of Pokemon just aren't in the game at all - like ou can't pot them in from Pokemon Home or anything like that.

I enjoy it though.

I'm glad you liked it. I didn't for everything you just said. I stopped playing pretty much at the same time as you did and Swo/Shi were incredibly underwhelming. I don't know why I expected something more innovative but it felt just more of the same with the added perks of some quality of life like whatever is it that gives everyone experience. The "open" world was a bit of a lie but stung more after BotW and Odyssey which do a lot more with that concept. The online play, battling and the like is not as fun as the game would make it out to be. Maybe it improved with the DLC, I sold it back before getting to that.

As for the story... well I'm glad you liked it. The plus is that it puts a focus on you just trying to do the gym challenge, the minus is nearly everything else. Again, I shouldn't have been surprised. It's clearly me who changed (out-grew, if I'm being honest) the series. I think it's still a fine game for kids, and I had the chance to play it online with a friend and filling up the dex/collecting them all is still fun enough.

Pokémon is clearly a nostalgia thing for me. I maybe would've enjoyed Let's Go!, and that's probably as far as I'll ever go with Pokémon again. I can see myself picking up something from 1st/2nd gen but anything after that isn't for me and that's fine.

Arceus seems like it may be shaking it up, but it's got to be fantastic for me to get it. I may still get Snap though, a lot of the critters do nothing for me, but that gameplay formula is differently more up my alley. Maybe I'll trade in Skyward Sword for it.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Lastdancer posted:

Forgive me if the rules have changed sometime in the past but can't people like take your physical games too, in the way we know as stealing

jesus Im getting bad at writing sentences

I lost my NES and half a dozen games because Nintendo sent burglars to my house in the 90s. Worse yet, they stole Legend Of The Black Manta which I'd borrowed from my neighbour and [my parents] had to buy it again for him. Worse yet, LotBM is a poo poo game, truly awful. Why did Nintendo do this to me, and why did they also discontinue my microwave?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My mom and I forgot my Sega Handheld in the bowling alley when I was like 6. I lost a lot of games. Was a real nightmare.

Never had my Nintendo stolen. Guess Nintendoes what Segdont.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I had my gameboy advance stolen from my locker with afew games back in middle school. Luckily the school wasnt very big and I was able to track it down and confront the theif.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Aix posted:

theres one thing you never read about the 8bitdo adapter: theres no way for it to tell you when your controllers battery is running low, so the way youll notice is with random disconnects, dropped inputs and weird laggy behavior. its not the end of the world but still manages to piss me off every time

Those “battery is low” warnings seem like such a basic feature to have at this point. I’m not in the market for those controllers but it would 100% keep me from buying one if I were.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Devorum posted:

Please note that Skull and Co is updating their grip case (preorders ship this month) because the old model is too small by a millimeter or two and it makes the triggers, bumpers and volume/sleep buttons unusable.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My friend loaned me Pokémon Sword when I got my Switch and after the 4th gym I gave up. I don’t understand why a grown adult would play these games. There are lots and lots of games, like this, but for adults. These are not those games.

Imagine you are at a party and a 30 year old woman tells you that Blue’s Clues or whatever is her favorite show, that’s how I feel about my married adult friends obsessing over catching a “shiny” Lapras or whatever.

It’s not just that it’s written at a 3rd grade reading level, it’s that mechanically it’s about as demanding as riding a bike down hill, and the monsters are cute but they are barely even animated! If the game actually showed the Pokémon doing sweet wrestling moves and having cool fights, suddenly this game would make sense. I’d play the duck out of that game. But every Pokémon is just standing still, jumping in place one hop for every attack.

This is a billion dollar IP, where the gently caress is that money going? Definitely not to game dev, that’s for sure.

I don’t want to come off as hostile, so please don’t get confused. I don’t think you’re a baby if you like Pokémon. I like lots of childish things. But Pokémon is decidedly a young children’s video game, aimed at young children, and if Pokémon is your favorite game and you obsess over it then your basically an adult My Little Pony fan, same breed of nerd.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

My friend loaned me Pokémon Sword when I got my Switch and after the 4th gym I gave up. I don’t understand why a grown adult would play these games. There are lots and lots of games, like this, but for adults. These are not those games.

Imagine you are at a party and a 30 year old woman tells you that Blue’s Clues or whatever is her favorite show, that’s how I feel about my married adult friends obsessing over catching a “shiny” Lapras or whatever.

It’s not just that it’s written at a 3rd grade reading level, it’s that mechanically it’s about as demanding as riding a bike down hill, and the monsters are cute but they are barely even animated! If the game actually showed the Pokémon doing sweet wrestling moves and having cool fights, suddenly this game would make sense. I’d play the duck out of that game. But every Pokémon is just standing still, jumping in place one hop for every attack.

This is a billion dollar IP, where the gently caress is that money going? Definitely not to game dev, that’s for sure.

I don’t want to come off as hostile, so please don’t get confused. I don’t think you’re a baby if you like Pokémon. I like lots of childish things. But Pokémon is decidedly a young children’s video game, aimed at young children, and if Pokémon is your favorite game and you obsess over it then your basically an adult My Little Pony fan, same breed of nerd.

im giving you a weirder look than i would give teh blue's clues lady

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The blues clues lady prob just wants to gently caress steve, which hey, more power to her

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

People play vidya to waste time on something pointless. Its like animal crossing, its not an advanced logic puzzle its just something to fill the time

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I play video games to experience unique interactive narratives and develop my fast twitch muscle response and hand-eye coordination under extreme sensory duress, because that feels like a more rewarding use of my time than simply picking up a book, reading the book, and placing it back on the shelf.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Sounds like you should read some more books

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Books are good

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Commander Keene posted:

OP was asking whether to use one of the USB controller dongles (specifically the 8BitDo one) to use their existing XBox controller with the Switch or if they should get a dedicated Switch controller, not if the 8BitDo controllers had rumble or gyro. And Butterfly Valley's response is "the dongles are good for what they are, but you probably want a dedicated Switch controller". Neither was asserting or questioning the fact that an SN30/SF30 or a Pro 2 have rumble or gyro.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I play video games to experience unique interactive narratives and develop my fast twitch muscle response and hand-eye coordination under extreme sensory duress, because that feels like a more rewarding use of my time than simply picking up a book, reading the book, and placing it back on the shelf.

you really should stop posting here

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

or indeed, at all

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
thank you Final Fantasy XIV Porn, I appreciate your input. You've really given me a lot to think about, Final Fantasy XIV Porn, about my relationship to video games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I play video games to have fun OP.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I do not have one specific reason I play games and in fact my needs vary depending on the genre or game

I play things like Monster Hunter both for the fun reaction stuff and also the social aspect

I play slower or turn based stuff to unwind and either for the plot or for the dopamine hit of numbers going up or things unlocking/being achieved

I play Warriors games because they're flashy and slightly mindless and great when I'm high

I play rhythm games because I hate myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

You can enjoy a piece of media without necessarily gushing over it at a party. You're supposed to talk about your kids anyways, or your cats if you don't have kids.